Television Netflix is getting stupid password sharing guidelines

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Their content is shite though, and sooner or later people are going to realise that. Especially when the competition are making much better content and are pricing Netflix out of their movies also. Netflix doesn't have strong studio to fall back on.
Not really... They're not churning out mega Blockbuster every month, but between HBO / Disney / Netflix / Prime, Netflix still offers the best bang for my buck, and it's not like they're charging an arm and leg. It's cheaper than Starbucks coffee

Netflix Family (12 USD for 4 Person), could be much less if I can be bothered to find hacked password but ... 3 USD is good enough

HBO Go is priced at 2.5 USD / Month but even then I seldom goes there as it offers nothing interesting for me. Maybe when some big Series (House of the Dragon) or something coming

Disney is priced at 14 USD / year or rougly 1.25 USD But again... hardly got anything for my taste...

Between all 3 I still use Netflix the most, they offer fun raunchy high budget B movie (Gray Man, FUBAR, Extraction, etc) and they somehow got the best UI out of the other 2 which is awful and laggy to navigate

I don't know about the US version of HBO and Disney, but the Indonesian version didn't offer much choice

Won't complain for now. Not spending much on Cinema so I think even at the grand total cost of roughly 10 USD / Month it's still affordable. And I could resort to Torrent and illegal streaming site in between those 3

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
My Netflix is gone. Barstewards! I'm taking my Spotify account back from that friend.

Big Andy

Bloke
How does it work? Anyone know? My kids have it on a tablet at their mums (no doubt she’s got the password as well the scavving bitch). Will it just stop working on their tablet or will they just keep using it and I’ll get charged?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I went through and cancelled all the sign ins from mates today.

I’ve felt a bit annoyed with it lately anyway so this has given me good reason to cancel … for everybody.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
How does it work? Anyone know? My kids have it on a tablet at their mums (no doubt she’s got the password as well the scavving bitch). Will it just stop working on their tablet or will they just keep using it and I’ll get charged?
All class calling your children’s mother names on the internet.

Big Man Andy doing big man things.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Just got the e-mail, seems like they're doing it in Norway too. I guess tomorrow I'll tell my parents I'll probably cancel Netflix soon, and I sincerely doubt they're going to bother subscribing on their own.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Seems like they'll lose rather than gain subscribers. Interesting to see what happens though.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Seems like they'll lose rather than gain subscribers. Interesting to see what happens though.
Aye, I'll cancel it as it's just fecking garbage.

Their netflix originals are like Ubisoft games, same shit with different characters. Unfinished too.

Sylar

I think a few people will just leave it as is and won't bother with the extra charge

Would be great if they see a big drop in subscribers

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
It's only happening because too many feckers got greedy, sharing once was probably tolerable and if that was the case nothing would have likely changed, but sharing with all your family/mates is taking the piss so hardly surprising they're cracking down

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It's only happening because too many feckers got greedy, sharing once was probably tolerable and if that was the case nothing would have likely changed, but sharing with all your family/mates is taking the piss so hardly surprising they're cracking down
Nah. I bet it's the one loved one who's only borrowing an account during stay in... Maybe like twice every day and more on weekends

Shrug

Sylar

Netflix were pretty much promoting as password sharing being a good thing.

They changed it cos of greed when they saw the subscriptions stagnate and stall. So this is there way to try increase profit with the hope people are lazy enough to say fck it, easier to pay then do anything else

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Netflix were pretty much promoting as password sharing being a good thing.

They changed it cos of greed when they saw the subscriptions stagnate and stall. So this is there way to try increase profit with the hope people are lazy enough to say fck it, easier to pay then do anything else
Can't say I ever saw any 'promoting" of it but even if they did it wouldn't have been for what's going on now, 1 account shared half a dozed times is taking the piss in my book

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Mines still working so far. Guess they’ve been losing a lot of money with you being able to use other peoples from different households. How does it know you’re not in the same household though if it’s not your account?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Mines still working so far. Guess they’ve been losing a lot of money with you being able to use other peoples from different households. How does it know you’re not in the same household though if it’s not your account?
IP address and other network info that means nothing to most people but to experts tells them a lot

Sylar

Can't say I ever saw any 'promoting" of it but even if they did it wouldn't have been for what's going on now, 1 account shared half a dozed times is taking the piss in my book

Besides, they have been slowly putting their price up bit by bit on the basis that the pw was being shared.

Of course, it's their right to do it, but Netflix have known this for a long time. This whole thing was because their subscriptions stalled and thus their bottom line stopped
Instead of enticing people back with content they've gone this route.

Again , it will be interesting to see the numbers based on this change

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
We maintain the highest level sub because we have a few other people who use our login. If this “works” I’ll almost certainly cancel and just go back to pirating stuff full time.

GuyfromAustria

Unpopular opinion: those streaming platforms are ludicrously cheap and sharing accounts is pathetic.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I got an Email with a link showing all my sign ins, highlighting I would have to pay extra for those outside my household. Rumbled.

Had to pull the plug on a few mates and have cancelled my account for a bit.

Will have to renew my sub in September … final season of top boy lands. For now though …

I don't see how. The people with the account will keep it. The people using the shared password don't count as subscribers anyway.

They're betting the number of sharers signing up for a new account will outweigh those who remember they pay for Netflix and don't want it anymore.

I won't, nor will several other people in this thread. I don't think that puts them in the negative, but that's the idea anyway.
I think they're past the point where it's about pure subscriber numbers anyway, now it's becoming more revenue per user that counts.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Unpopular opinion: those streaming platforms are ludicrously cheap and sharing accounts is pathetic.
It used to be cheap when Netflix first started streaming, at launch it cost £5.99 and was the only one doing it.

Now I’m paying £15.99 for Netflix, and on top of that there’s Amazon Prime, Disney, Apple TV, and I’m probably forgetting more.

The irony calling Netflix greedy coming from people who massively account sharing a 3 dollar per month subscription.
Where the hell does it cost $3?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Just two streaming platforms takes you well in to the hundreds per year. This is on top of any sports we get ripped off for compared to other countries. You're looking at a grand a year for two platforms + most football games legitimately - not even all. So 'ludicrously cheap' quickly becomes pretty expensive, and that's before even looking at any other subscriptions.

They also promoted account sharing, which was no doubt their plan to build the userbase before doing this.

Not to mention pirating is better than ever with IPTV, Plex etc. The rise of value in legit streaming meant pirating was less prevalent but it's only going to drive people back to it with value getting worse and worse, because like everything and moreso than ever these days, the customer gets squeezed.

All this amidst a cost of living crisis makes your comment quite pathetic in itself. It's very obvious why people would share accounts.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Just two streaming platforms takes you well in to the hundreds per year. This is on top of any sports we get ripped off for compared to other countries. You're looking at a grand a year for two platforms + most football games legitimately - not even all. So 'ludicrously cheap' quickly becomes pretty expensive, and that's before even looking at any other subscriptions.

They also promoted account sharing, which was no doubt their plan to build the userbase before doing this.

Not to mention pirating is better than ever with IPTV, Plex etc. The rise of value in legit streaming meant pirating was less prevalent but it's only going to drive people back to it with value getting worse and worse, because like everything and moreso than ever these days, the customer gets squeezed.

All this amidst a cost of living crisis makes your comment quite pathetic in itself. It's very obvious why people would share accounts.
What does the cost of living crisis have to do with it?

Netflix and any other streaming platform are not essential things, lets call it what it is, it's stealing, just because something was allowed in the past does been it's allowed forever

Sweet Square

The rental model these streaming companies use are only possible due to shite capitalist intellectual property rights(Which now don’t even make the original creators money). It’s purely parasitic and creates no value.

All the content on these platform should be free.

Sylar

I think they're past the point where it's about pure subscriber numbers anyway, now it's becoming more revenue per user that counts.
Yep, hence them and other platforms introducing advertising

I work in that field so obviously for my job sake, the more that happens the better for me.
But looking at it on the outside, they want profit by any means. Of course they are a business so I won't argue against that.
However there will be a point people think fck it.