Neville confirms what we knew all along

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Hate this "i know but i will not tell you". Then don't say nothing, ffs.

Anyway i think that Lingard, Ronaldo and Henderson are 3 for sure. Martial was one probably too.
The rest; who knows? I doubt that Rashford or Harry have any reason to do it
Except playing like pub team players, being given bollocking by OT and Twitter and having big PR machinery to protect them. While being English and knowing at least 5 journos very well. No, no reason to do it at all.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Did he say the same thing happened at Chelsea years ago ? Hmm
Speaking out on his Sky Sports podcast on Monday, Neville explained: 'I remember when I joined Sky and we had the Champions League in the early years, and I went over to Napoli to do a game involving Chelsea. It was when Andre Villas-Boas was their manager and he left out Frank Lampard, Michael Essien, Ashley Cole – four or five prominent players.
I remember sitting there at lunchtime with our team and they were getting messages of team news being leaked and the manager being slagged off, and I sat there thinking "does this actually happen"?

LJJT

I don’t get the negativity towards Neville at all. He’s a united fan, wants the best for United and is entitled to his opinions. I wish he was more influential on the club. Maybe him saying what he said is his way of firing a warning shot to which ever players are doing this- letting them know this could blow up in their faces if not careful. I got the impression he’s willing to give Richard Arnold more of a chance than he did Woodward as well.

SER19

Which ones? We don't even know if those 'stories' are true.
We don't, but it's naive to think that for some reason the press has just singled out United as the club to have an endless stream of insider info, specifically about player unrest with training, and coach after coach who somehow doesnt mean the standards of guys who havent won a trophy here. I'm not trying to name players, I don't know them, but it's very clear there are leaks the way Neville has described. Embarrassing, underperforming brats, happy to undermine anybody within their orbit

Im shaking my head in disbelief that there's anybody who thinks Neville is wrong here. Neville annoys me plenty, but he's calling out a culture that's so set in stone you could set your watch to it. We've seen it under every manager post Ferguson

Chelskiing

Supports
Chelsea
Just got a message today at work that 'Rashford' will be releasing not one, but two books in the next 5 months.

The first is a fiction book coming in May entitled The Breakfast Club Adventures and the second is a self help book in July called You Can Do It: How to Find Your Team and Make a Difference.

Of course we're LARPing that Rashford co-wrote them.

The interesting part is the copy that his agency sent with it:

Ignoring the fact that we genuinely have Zoella playing for us (MR10 advent calendar coming in December)....why do you think these journalists are falling over themselves to help Rashford make bank? Just a nice thing to do?

Why were we getting non-stop stories last season about his injuries, that didn't come from the club? Why is a Chief Football Writer tweeting fanboy nonsense like this every time Rashford starts getting criticism? Oh, he's getting exclusives right after. Must be a coincidence.

Why did like five of our Tier 1 journalists come out with almost identical Rashford puff-pieces a month ago when he was getting criticised and was out of the team?

They aren't doing it from the kindness of their heart. It's a business relationship. They get something in return.

Rashford and his team use the media more than any player in football memory. It's a silly situation... and one that a proper club wouldn't allow to continue.
interesting info. as an oppo fan looking at united, there are some players i wouldn't want despite their talent. a lot gets said about how the game has changed and all players are into social media and PR nowadays and what have you. i'm sure that's true to a degree but some players are more focused on it than others. and utd seem to have more of those players than other big teams. compare Kante and Mendy with Pogba and Rashford...

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I'm more cynical than you.

United does not give off the impression of wanting someone to come in and really rock the boat. They love a bit of PR. However, bringing in people from outside and giving them real decision making power? All the major appointments lately have been internal and I'd be very surprised if that changes much.
Exactly, the club is like a fat man who says all the right things about how he wants to lose weight and get fit, then walks straight out of weight watchers into the nearest chippy.

Anyway, it's lingard rashford and Henderson.

fezzerUTD

Hate this "i know but i will not tell you". Then don't say nothing, ffs.

Anyway i think that Lingard, Ronaldo and Henderson are 3 for sure. Martial was one probably too.
The rest; who knows? I doubt that Rashford or Harry have any reason to do it
He‘s telling the leakers to shut the feck up. He doesn’t need to cause more issues when he can do it this way much quieter.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Marcus Rashford is a Utd fan through and through. Not only that but actually seems to be a decent person too given all his charity work. Why would he be the one doing it? He gets picked all the time too. Makes no sense at all.

The agenda on this forum against him is pathetic.

hobbers

Marcus Rashford is a Utd fan through and through. Not only that but actually seems to be a decent person too given all his charity work. Why would he be the one doing it? He gets picked all the time too. Makes no sense at all.

His charity work is excellent but dont pretend that it's all been done solely out of charity. It's massively boosted his platform on social media, and his brand recognition, given him influence over politics, all far beyond the scope of what would normally be attainable purely from his abilities as a footballer.

Someone who puts themselves into the public eye as much as he does cares deeply about their image and thats why he employs a whole team of people to protect that image. And it's no coincidence the English press all adore him, they're getting something in return for all those puff pieces.

Red Daz

Agreed , no way it’s Rashford , it’ll be someone who doesn’t get many minutes

Rolaholic

Agreed , no way it’s Rashford , it’ll be someone who doesn’t get many minutes
Pretty sure Henderson has a relationship with Chris Wheeler from the DM

He's always had a surprising level of insight into his contract and professional situation and also provides quite the amount of detail when reporting on the dressing room. A disgruntled player not getting many minutes like him has always been my deduction as one of the moles constantly chatting to the press.

Him, Shaw and Lingard are the main ones that have come to mind for me over the last 2 seasons

Artimities

There are a few issues that I have been hearing over here in the states.

1) the American (cant remember his name) is considered a Ted Lasso joke and seems to be the scape goat at the moment
2) unrest with a couple of players not playing such as Lindgard and Marital before he left on loan
3) constant issues with the players agents and use of social media is creating way more here say than there should be.

all of this seems to show just how much gossip there is in the world of football. Even Ronaldo is thrown over the coals for his on the pitch attitude. When it rains it pours!

This off season cant come soon enough. To get a proper manager in place and start to have some sort of team to put together.
I still think we can get top four, but it will go down to the last match day.

estel_manutd

His charity work is excellent but dont pretend that it's all been done solely out of charity. It's massively boosted his platform on social media, and his brand recognition, given him influence over politics, all far beyond the scope of what would normally be attainable purely from his abilities as a footballer.

Someone who puts themselves into the public eye as much as he does cares deeply about their image and thats why he employs a whole team of people to protect that image. And it's no coincidence the English press all adore him, they're getting something in return for all those puff pieces.
God bless him for all the charity work he is doing; whether he really cares about the issues or not doesn't matter.

However, absolutely agree with @hobbers re: the rest.

His PR team has been very vocal criticizing Ole when Ole told him to focus on football, and to make excuses for him on social media when he doesn't play well. I also recall Keane having a go at "his team" a few times on Sky. As a Man Utd fan, all I care about is his on-field performance, which have been shambolic for > 18 months now.

Ludens the Red

Yeah, Luke Shaw, the only player who had the balls to come out and defend Ralf in public and call bullshit on the stories, is the guy leaking to the press.

You lot just hate who you hate with no logic or reasoning behind it.
Yuh, can’t see it being him. He comes out after games and looks genuinely pissed off and fed up. He’s not playing particularly well but he doesn’t come out with the PR shite and apologies that Rashford and Maguire give out.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

Jesus wept you're actually being serious too aren't you?

He's done what he's done to boost his image? Is that what you really think?

Maybe he's just a humble lad who had come from a very poor background and is a genuine good guy.

Absolute joke you mate. Are you a Tory?

Chelskiing

Supports
Chelsea

Maybe he's just a humble lad who had come from a very poor background and is a genuine good guy.

what's wrong with being a tory? and if you don't think at least part of his motivation is about image then i have a few bridges to sell you

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

David Beckham cried to join Man Utd. He's from a family of cockney reds. He gave his all for United.

Did it stop him from showing off the cut above his eye? Hitching his wagon to a celebrity agent? Ultimately leaving the club for Madrid?

hobbers

I never said he did it primarily to boost his image, but boosting his image was definitely one result that he's massively benefited from. Charity is only solely charitable when done anonymously. See how much corporations or politicians would give to charity if they had to do it without media attention.

Don't know why you think everything has to be binary. Rashford can be a good guy who cares about good causes and also at the same time care too much about his image. He can care deeply about United while his PR people are also leaking stories to sports journalists in return for favorable coverage. It's common sense.

clarkydaz

What do you think of Rashy blaming Ole for not coaching him properly recently?

Superden

Hes used his platform to actually achieve something good. The snide criticism is somewhat unwarranted...

Superden

I never said he did it primarily to boost his image, but boosting his image was definitely one result that he's massively benefited from. Charity is only solely charitable when done anonymously. See how much corporations or politicians would give to charity if they had to do it without media attention.

Don't know why you think everything has to be binary. Rashford can be a good guy who cares about good causes and also at the same time care too much about his image. He can care deeply about United while his PR people are also leaking stories to sports journalists in return for favorable coverage. It's common sense.
And how would he have anonymously forced the govt into a u turn?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I hope we find them and kick them out. Damn we need to clean up that messy group of idiotic players

UnsungHero

Monitoring the preparation of the Vidal bid

Rashford is pretty smart when you think about it. Do some good charity work, plaster it all over the place, and then effectively retire from football (by making no effort).

Revaulx

Again, why does every list I see just include all of our English players?
Because they are in the best position to develop relationships with English journalists?
Do we honestly believe that Maguire, for example, is leaking to the press? Why on Earth would the club captain, who starts every week, be leaking to the press? That is just utterly bonkers. I get some people have a problem with him (for some reason) but come on, let's be realistic for just a second.
I don’t like Maguire because he’s a smarmy oaf, but I agree that he’s unlikely to be the source of leaks. What has he got to be discontented about?
Lingard, OK, would maybe make sense. Has basically been kept at the club under false pretences. Same could be said of Dean Henderson.
They seem much more likely.
However, I don't often see the name 'Ronaldo' mentioned...yet Ronaldo has had his issues with Rangnick already, has been dropped recently and has been criticised by Rangnick in the past (pre joining Utd) Now, I am not saying it is Ronaldo (I actually don't think it is) but makes more sense than Maguire!

Likewise...Paul Pogba! Again, surely got to be high on any list of suspects....again, not saying it IS Pogba, but seems more likely than Maguire, or even Shaw or Rashford for that matter.
I think if it were either of those two, stuff would be more likely to be appearing in foreign papers (whose standards of journalism are no better than our red tops) than in the British press.

I doubt if it’s Pogba actually. What’s he got to gain? If nobody comes in with a fat contract for him he’ll be wanting to stay at United. If it comes out that he’s the leaker it would massively weaken his position.

Cantonagotmehere

Totally agree

redmanx

I don’t get the negativity towards Neville at all. He’s a united fan, wants the best for United and is entitled to his opinions. I wish he was more influential on the club. Maybe him saying what he said is his way of firing a warning shot to which ever players are doing this- letting them know this could blow up in their faces if not careful. I got the impression he’s willing to give Richard Arnold more of a chance than he did Woodward as well.
Too true; give me the likes of Neville, Scholes, Keanne, Beckham, Irwin, May, Bruce, Robson, Pallister, Carrick, Hughes, Ferdinand, Vidic than the bunch of prima donnas we have playing for us today..and I could list dozens of others who I would prefer than any of the current lot with the single exception of DDG.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
David Beckham cried to join Man Utd. He's from a family of cockney reds. He gave his all for United.

Did it stop him from showing off the cut above his eye? Hitching his wagon to a celebrity agent? Ultimately leaving the club for Madrid?
So you clearly think it's him then. Can you give me a good reason other than that you clearly don't like the bloke?

I'm not a big fan of Pogba but don't think it's him either.

My guess would be it's a player who has been marginalized. Lingard and Henderson most likely.

Really don't get this mentality of going after Marcus.

Devil’s Trident

Just got a message today at work that 'Rashford' will be releasing not one, but two books in the next 5 months.

The first is a fiction book coming in May entitled The Breakfast Club Adventures and the second is a self help book in July called You Can Do It: How to Find Your Team and Make a Difference.

Of course we're LARPing that Rashford co-wrote them.

The interesting part is the copy that his agency sent with it:

Ignoring the fact that we genuinely have Zoella playing for us (MR10 advent calendar coming in December)....why do you think these journalists are falling over themselves to help Rashford make bank? Just a nice thing to do?

Why were we getting non-stop stories last season about his injuries that didn't come from the club? Why is a Chief Football Writer tweeting fanboy nonsense like this every time Rashford starts getting criticism? Oh, he's getting exclusives right after. Must be a coincidence.

Why did like five of our Tier 1 journalists come out with almost identical Rashford puff-pieces a month ago when he was getting criticised and was out of the team?

They aren't doing it from the kindness of their heart. It's a business relationship. They get something in return.

Rashford and his team use the media more than any player in football memory. It's a silly situation... and one that a proper club wouldn't allow to continue.
Seconded. The influence and connections he has with tier 1 journos like Henry Winter and the power he holds compared to any utd player is huge. I have never seen so many journalists making excuse after excuse, spin after spin for anyone whenever he is criticised and has a bad game.

The proof is in the pudding. The truth is uncomfortable. It’s uneasy. It’s hard for people to admit it but it’s there out in the open. He’s been shit for over 18 months in performances ever since he became this huge social figure taking on govt. It has taken its toll and swallowed him. You can exactly see when his workrate started to go down. Where is the fire gone ? Where is the smile gone ? Where has the quality gone ? So much so that he can’t even do the basics right.

Multiple people have directly given hints about him. Ole told him to focus on his football in a press conference. Luckhurst has given hints about him. Newspapers lying about him being so devastated after the euros final loss that he couldn’t get out of the bed for a week whilst him jetting off and partying just 2 days after was hilarious. People keep ignoring the obvious and put these players who have proved nothing and achieved nothing on a pedestal. They did the same with Greenwood where his on field and off field behaviour was completely shunned and was already made a hero. The same is happening here and people again will act shocked when Marcus Rashford doesn’t fulfill his potential.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

It's not common sense at all. It's absolute mindless jibberish made up by you because you don't like the bloke.

Rashford is one of the good guys in football. A rarity.

Just because you don't rate him doesn't means he's the rat. He's got far less reason to be the rat than nearly the entire team. He's a red and he gets picked all the time.

hobbers

It's not common sense at all. It's absolute mindless jibberish made up by you because you don't like the bloke.

Just because you don't rate him doesn't means he's the rat. He's got far less reason to be the rat than nearly the entire team. He's a red and he gets picked all the time.
Nah this here is the jibberish pal. You're too overinvested emotionally in him to see the obvious.

I like Rashford but I liked him more when he actually put some effort in on the pitch. And while his effort on the pitch has gone down drastically he's become heavily invested in his own public image, moreso than any other player in our squad.

And like I already said, he doesn't have to 'be a rat' to be the source of some of the leaks. For starters his PR team have briefed about our last two managers not coaching him properly - that's undeniable.

clarkydaz

You are sounding like a Rashford 'Stan'. He has been dropped and criticised recently. And there has been pushback from his PR to combat it

Devil’s Trident

Nah this here is the jibberish pal. You're too overinvested emotionally in him to see the obvious.

I like Rashford but I liked him more when he actually put some effort in on the pitch. And while his effort on the pitch has gone down drastically he's become heavily invested in his own public image, moreso than any other player in our squad.

And like I already said, he doesn't have to 'be a rat' to be the source of some of the leaks. For starters his PR team have briefed about our last two managers not coaching him properly - that's undeniable.
Just can’t think straight due to him/her being over emotional about Marcus. As you said, ole was criticised about coaching by his team is undeniable yet can’t see it. His PR in overdrive for the past year every fecking time yet can’t see it. Him being lazy and acting like a primadonna on the pitch, not giving a feck about working hard yet can’t see it. He/she reminds me of that blind arsenal fan ty. Can’t think straight.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

Jesse Lingard and Henderson are far more likely to be doing it. Neither happy with game time and both been denied moves in January.

Why are you so sure it's Rashford?