New champions league format

PedroMendez

Acolyte
yeah, that was my thought, won't they just split in into 2 halves where the top half play the bottom half using the same sort of seeding that they use now.

edit - which thinking about it can't be right as that would be a bore fest
I have read somewhere on reddit that the seeding had 4 tiers and every club plays against clubs from each tier, which is similar to the current group stage. The usual caveat applied, that clubs from the same country can't play against each other during the league-stage. I understand that this is going to be controversial with match-going fans, but I kind of like the idea that clubs play against 8 different teams. Currently the group stage is not great and shaking things up seems alright.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If it's a genuine "Swiss" system, the fixtures should be - at least partly - determined by results from round to round.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
There are a 125 matches per season. I'd prefer it if there was no group stage and just knockouts from the get-go, but starting with 64 teams (which would ensure the same number of matches). Seed teams in the first round and then a free-for-all.

I don't follow it when United aren't in it, so that's quite a number of seasons not following it. However, if every tie was a knife edge knockout I'd be much more likely to watch as a neutral.

This would be quite the antithesis to the Super League as the big teams would face upsets more often, so hardly likely. But would the rest of you be more interested in watching non-United matches with this format?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
There are a 125 matches per season. I'd prefer it if there was no group stage and just knockouts from the get-go, but starting with 64 teams (which would ensure the same number of matches). Seed teams in the first round and then a free-for-all.

I don't follow it when United aren't in it, so that's quite a number of seasons not following it. However, if every tie was a knife edge knockout I'd be much more likely to watch as a neutral.

This would be quite the antithesis to the Super League as the big teams would face upsets more often, so hardly likely. But would the rest of you be more interested in watching non-United matches with this format?
So basically the old format?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Wasn't the old format only actual league winners? And a lot fewer teams? But yes, no group stage sleepiness.
Yeah, meant the no group stage part.

Could work but I'm not sure, gotten used to the current format to be honest.

Chief123

The old format of just pure knockouts would likely be a shite competiton. We’d end up with too many teams parking the bus playing cagey in the hope of getting through a 2 legged tie each time as it just requires a couple of big moments to progress.

At least a group stage before the knockouts means teams need wins more than draws and you can’t just progress by playing cagey in all 6 group games. And more often than not the best teams progress to the knockouts.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Why not let every team in the league in except those that got relegated? this competition is fast becoming a joke. Why not call it the World Series? It could certainly be done under the Trades Description Act! Team That Finished Fourth League...

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
The old format of just pure knockouts would likely be a shite competiton. We’d end up with too many teams parking the bus playing cagey in the hope of getting through a 2 legged tie each time as it just requires a couple of big moments to progress.

At least a group stage before the knockouts means teams need wins more than draws and you can’t just progress by playing cagey in all 6 group games. And more often than not the best teams progress to the knockouts.
to be fair, there have been occasions when the outright winner was nowhere near the best team in the competition

dove

I don’t understand how the competition of “only league champions” would be even remotely interesting. Would be the most boring competition ever. I think the new format should be slightly more interesting and fair.

phelans shorts

Pure knockouts would be dull and the new format is horrific. The current system leans too much towards allowing the “big clubs” leeway to get in, never mind a system that is outright built around it.

RomfordRed75

Unless United are in it I rarely watch any CL Group games, it's just boring. Give me knock out football anyday (but we all know it's all about milking the amount of games to make more money).
This new format is a joke. If they want as many games as possible with 48 teams then fine, but why not have 16 groups of 3 with the top 2 going through. Then straight knock out with the remaining 32.

Sweet Square

It seems the new format will be very boring for people who don’t watch champions league football.

Last edited:

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
It seems the new format is very boring for people who don’t watch champions league football.
The new format will be boring for everyone to be fair if 24 teams go through.

Big clubs will put out their 2nd squads

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I don’t understand how the competition of “only league champions” would be even remotely interesting. Would be the most boring competition ever. I think the new format should be slightly more interesting and fair.
I doubt many people were bored in 1968

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Not sure how voting takes place, but if every country has an equal vote, this will never be voted in.

Clubs from smaller countries will get 2 games instead of 6 and considering the TV revenue from CL is quite significant for these clubs, the FAs wont agree to it.

Having clubs from all 50 odd countries, and combining the 3 competitions - CL, EL and Conference on the other hand might just work out though

dove

I doubt many people were bored in 1968
I don't understand how removing teams like Liverpool, Chelsea, one of Barca/Real, Milan clubs etc. and just watching 3 or so same clubs smash everyone every year would make it a more interesting competition. Pretty much all of the champions in other leagues outside the 4-5 best leagues are a level or more below. Group matches are usually quite boring in current format (I guess it also has something to do with us being completely shite in the last decade too and rarely even making into the CL groups) and I think the new format surely can't be worse. The sole fact that you will play 8 different teams in group (1 game against each team instead of home & away) instead of the usual 3 as it is now should make it more interesting. Also I saw someone mentioning that 24 teams will qualify from the initial stage which is not the case. Only TOP 8 goes directly to the next stage while 9-24th places go to playoffs. I was unhappy initially too because I got used to the current format but when I thought about it and most importantly actually read how it will work, I think new format has potential to be more interesting.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I still maintain if they wanted to get more games, they should've just gone back to the two group stage CL. The last 16 groups provided some good football when it was in place. Adding 4 more teams, two of which qualify via 'legacy' and allowing teams from 9-24th qualify for the KO round means that there is absolutely no jepody in the competition until the QF.

AaronRedDevil

The 3rd place of CL groups go into EL. And the 1st place of the EL groups should go into CL. That'll make it interesting.

Sweet Square

The new format will be boring for everyone to be fair if 24 teams go through.

Big clubs will put out their 2nd squads
There’s a chance it will be boring although if big clubs put out out a weaker team(Which currently how many of the big clubs can really do that and still have a strong starting line up ?)then it could lead to some upsets.

Imo there isn’t any wrong with the current format but also for better and worse when there is profit involved then the competition was alway going to get bigger and include more teams.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I don't understand how removing teams like Liverpool, Chelsea, one of Barca/Real, Milan clubs etc. and just watching 3 or so same clubs smash everyone every year would make it a more interesting competition. Pretty much all of the champions in other leagues outside the 4-5 best leagues are a level or more below. Group matches are usually quite boring in current format (I guess it also has something to do with us being completely shite in the last decade too and rarely even making into the CL groups) and I think the new format surely can't be worse. The sole fact that you will play 8 different teams in group (1 game against each team instead of home & away) instead of the usual 3 as it is now should make it more interesting. Also I saw someone mentioning that 24 teams will qualify from the initial stage which is not the case. Only TOP 8 goes directly to the next stage while 9-24th places go to playoffs. I was unhappy initially too because I got used to the current format but when I thought about it and most importantly actually read how it will work, I think new format has potential to be more interesting.
will the games start in August and end the following July? sounds bonkers to me - although the set up probably could do with a huge refresh. but everyone not playing the same teams home and away is crazy in my opinion. Unless we can we play three teams from Cyprus and one from San Marino, while Liverpool get City, Bayern and Inter...

dove

will the games start in August and end the following July? sounds bonkers to me - although the set up probably could do with a huge refresh. but everyone not playing the same teams home and away is crazy in my opinion. Unless we can we play three teams from Cyprus and one from San Marino, while Liverpool get City, Bayern and Inter...
The teams you play against shouldn't be that much different than now. You would play 2 teams from each of 4 pots with 1 being home game and another away game.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Agree. I would guess cognitive dissonance, misplaced nostalgia, and a general lack of awareness that football is a business that serves a worldwide audience.

Yesterday in NYC, I walked past a bar in the middle of the day, and it was packed with people watching Barcelona v Inter as if it was an MLB playoff game. Neither of these teams won their leagues in the previous season. Fans want to see big clubs in the competition, and even the ones who complain will gladly watch the big teams play. Not only that but 2 extra home matches are good for all clubs in the competition.

What makes this thought process even odder is United would clearly benefit from this. UEFA isn't stupid, they aren't doing this b/c they feel like it. They know this is what a majority of the target market will tune into.

The White Pele

My radical revolution of European competition would be something like the below.

Pre Xmas:
European Super League:
  • 4 groups of 5. Europe’s elite going head to head in home and away ties across 8 match days.
  • Top 2 nations in terms of coefficient have 4 representatives, next 2 have 3, next 2 have 2, next 1 has 1, 1 reserved for prior year champion or next best coefficient
  • Bottom 2 teams in each group eliminated. Top 3 progress to the Champions League (after Xmas)

Europa Cups:
  • 256 teams from across Europe competing across 4 Regional knockout tournaments of 64 teams.
  • Each 64 team tournament consists of 4 two-legged knockout rounds and a final. 9 match days in total
  • No seedings in the draw
  • Winner of each of the 4 cups enters the Champions League (after Xmas)
After Xmas:

Champions League:
  • 12 teams that progressed from the Super League plus the 4 winners of the Europa Cups
  • 3 rounds of two-legged ties, plus a final. 7 match days in total
  • Teams that finished top in the Super League groups face winners of the Europa Cups in the round of 16
  • Teams that finished 2nd in the Super League groups face teams that finished 3rd in the Super League groups
The key benefits of these new competitions:
  • The European super powers get their wish and play more matches against the other top clubs
  • Qualification to the Super League is not monopolised and is still based on league performance or prior year Champions League performance
  • The Super League is more competitive than current CL group phase with less one-sided matches
  • Whilst the Super League is likely limited to 7 nations only, every nation still has a chance each year of winning the Champions League by advancing through the Europa Cup route. Other leagues can also earn a place into the Super League through improving their coefficient with positive results in European competition
  • On the above point, since the inception of the Champions League only clubs from the top 7 leagues (Spain, England, Italy , Germany, France, Portugal, Netherlands) have won it
  • More teams from each country can enter the Europa cups. For example, the proposal would be that all PL, La Liga teams etc (except newly promoted) would enter the Europa Cups
  • This means in many nations like the PL, where domestic cups are often monopolised by the top few clubs, the rest of the teams have an extra trophy to play for each season where they will not have to pull off an upset against one of Europe’s elite
  • Likewise, champions of some of the lesser nations have a more realistic shot at European silverware. Currently they have next to no chance to advance all the way in the CL and even in the Europa League they will often come up against one or two of Europe’s elite
  • Teams dropping down from the CL to the EL has always felt like a bit of a cop out and in some way rewarding failure. Elite clubs failing at the top competition getting a second chance against easier opposition. This way it is a case of teams that are successful in the secondary competition getting an opportunity to win the biggest prize
  • The teams outside of Europe’s elite that don’t have the resources to fight on multiple fronts in long-winded European campaigns don’t have to. No qualifiers or group stages, just two-legged knockout and over by Xmas. 9 games in total if they get to a final. No longer the case of Europa League qualification being a curse to league form
  • Far less games and far less travel but without diminishing the interest. Less group games, more cups to play for!
  • And biggest of all…Brighton could win the Champions League! It would still be very difficult but it is far more likely that an outside team could achieve the pinnacle of club football. At the moment it would require a team to finish ahead of super clubs over a long league season to even qualify, then continue that form into another season, upset the odds in a Champions League group and then advance through three two-legged ties and win a final. With this new format a team could win a Europa cup playing against clubs of a similar level and then have the opportunity to play against the best in the Champions League that same season. Unrealistic but not unimaginable. Fans can still dream.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I don’t think there’s a lot wrong with how it is now. Other than the weird layout of the the group fixtures. Is there a reason they have it go Team 1, Team 2, Team 3, Team 3, Team 2, Team 1?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
The teams you play against shouldn't be that much different than now. You would play 2 teams from each of 4 pots with 1 being home game and another away game.
yes but you might play the likes of Omnia at home but Sociedad away while another team in the group doesn't. Didn't they try that with the Europa years ago and it was a farce?