New CL format in 2024?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Ajax aren't in the same bracket as CSKA or Brugge, & if Atletico needed anything from that game, I doubt it'd have ended a draw :D
They did need something from the game, as now they're unseeded and will face a much tougher opponent in the Round of 16.

Revan

Assumptionman
I like any proposal that has more top teams and best players playing against each other.
Me too. But this isn't doing it IMO. At the moment typically you have one shit team in group, and most groups have another team which the two top teams should defeat relatively easy.

With the new format you will have 2 shit teams, and 2 mediocre/okay teams. Essentially a top team would need to play 4 dead rubbers, and 4 matches against meh teams.

In order to improve quality, the solution would be to cut the number of teams, and especially those from non-top countries. Of course that would be unfair, and will only further "the rich gets richer" phenomenon.

Revan

Assumptionman
I'm all for it if it means the NBA and NHL will start playing afternoon games for our convenience. Cos feck their own audience and fans, right? Westcoast teams playing at 11am so I get to watch them at 8pm, I don't care about anything else.
I second this. With United being shit these days, I watch more basketball than football anyway so I am all for it.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
This would have a crazy amount of dud games in some leagues.

I mean imagine any meetings between the bottom half after the half way point... would be pretty much pointless.

Unless the top 4 qualify or something, which would make for an awfully shit league.

AlwaysRed66

One of those beat Liverpool. Trashed 'em, actually.
League one Wigan beat Man City in the FA Cup last season, & Championship Derby County beat us in this years league cup. These things happen in cups. Doesn't mean we want to play them in a league.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I really like the idea. Think it will be great. National leagues will need to compromise by being smaller though.

Angry Virginian

Supports
Tottenham
Biggest changes:
  • 4 groups of 8 teams. Every team plays 14 games (at least) in the CL. This allows bigger teams to play each other more often
This will not work. There will be too many teams with nothing to play for in the second part of the group stage. Those teams will decide to rest players for domestic competition and make the qualification to the next round even more controversial.

AlwaysRed66

I really like the idea. Think it will be great. National leagues will need to compromise by being smaller though.
I always find comments like these either come from people outside Europe or supporters of second tier & below leagues. Why should we wreck our leagues, particularly Premiership & La Liga, so the elite can play in leagues full of crap teams.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
I always find comments like these either come from people outside Europe or supporters of second tier & below leagues. Why should we wreck our leagues, particularly Premiership & La Liga, so the elite can play in leagues full of crap teams.
Well, many "second tier" leagues and teams weren't always second tier. A change like this would do wonders for a huge array of teams who have become financially obsolete and can't play any decent player older than 20 years old for more than a season. You may find excellent that the 20th placed Premier League team has more money than the champions of Portugal or Netherlands, but the majority of European football fans aren't British and don't support British teams.

I don't know how people find a more cosmopolitan and diverse competitive background for football a bad thing, but hey, to each its own. Stronger Benficas, Red Stars, Italian teams, Ajaxes, etc... A terrible thing.

If it happened and it worked out most people would come around to it. People are just averse to change. I'm sure same was said when the EC changed its format yet not many want to go back to a EC where the champion faces one or two teams at their level to be crowned.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
This will not work. There will be too many teams with nothing to play for in the second part of the group stage. Those teams will decide to rest players for domestic competition and make the qualification to the next round even more controversial.
Serious money, coefficients for future seedings, etc. There's a few good ways to make games relevant. Half the Premiership teams and two thirds of the teams in La Liga play for theoretically nothing.

AlwaysRed66

Well, many "second tier" leagues and teams weren't always second tier. A change like this would do wonders for a huge array of teams who have become financially obsolete and can't play any decent player older than 20 years old for more than a season. You may find excellent that the 20th placed Premier League team has more money than the champions of Portugal or Netherlands, but the majority of European football fans aren't British and don't support British teams.

I don't know how people find a more cosmopolitan and diverse competitive background for football a bad thing, but hey, to each its own. Stronger Benficas, Red Stars, Italian teams, Ajaxes, etc... A terrible thing.

If it happened and it worked out most people would come around to it. People are just averse to change. I'm sure same was said when the EC changed its format yet not many want to go back to a EC where the champion faces one or two teams at their level to be crowned.
I agree that many of these sides were once big teams, & it wouldn't be a bad thing if they could be successful again. What I & others don't agree with is wrecking our leagues to make this happen. The English league is the best league system in the world, with thousands of teams playing a multitude of levels, & although I am a Man Utd fan, that is bigger than a few elite clubs in this country. Don't these leagues & teams have a right to be stronger as well.

Kapardin

Because they have lesser squads & therefore typically less to offer as a point of entertainment? Look at the teams that are out this year.

Club Brugge
Monaco
Inter Milan (on GD)
PSV
Napoli (on GD)
Red Star Belgrade
Galatasary
Lokomotiv Moscow
Benfica
AEK Athens
Hoffenheim
Viktoria Plzen
CSKA Moscow
Valencia
Young Boys

You take away the two Italian teams who were unlucky to go out on GD & Valencia who drew an incredibly difficult group, and what are you left with? (Mostly) average teams that are their to pad the tournament.
But tournament padders have their purpose. Firstly, their fans get to go away and watch them play big teams. Secondly, there is always the thrill of a minnow upsetting a giant. Thirdly, they contribute to the excitement of groups. Likes of CSKA might make a group tighter and more exciting by taking points off other teams.

Current format and timings are fine, don't mess with it. Midnight in Asia is perfect as well, allows me to get some sleep before waking up reasonably late in the morning, whereas early morning timings would require me getting up earlier. My sleep cycle is tuned more to the former.

onemanarmy

Ajax aren't in the same bracket as CSKA or Brugge, & if Atletico needed anything from that game, I doubt it'd have ended a draw :D
Atletico was in full strength as they needed a win to head the group. They didn't and face the likes of Barcelona, City... in the next round.

You may find excellent that the 20th placed Premier League team has more money than the champions of Portugal or Netherlands, but the majority of European football fans aren't British and don't support British teams.
And this is exactly what I'm trying to say. People outside Spain, Germany and England would rather see a local club play Barcelona than a 7th time Atletico - Tottenham in a row, I'm pretty sure of that.

This big club mentality is the problem in modern football. Make the big clubs richer and the small clubs poorer. It's only been 25 years that teams from Holland, France, Portugal, Romania, Belgium, Sweden... were winning Europa/Uefa Cups. I'd rather go back to those days, but it seems I'm one of the few :lol:

Steerpike

Didn't find a topic on it. According to Bild, two groups of experts with members of Uefa and the European Club Association (ECA) are making plans to introduce a new CL format. A Super League would prove too difficult to form so this would be the alternative.

Biggest changes:
  • 4 groups of 8 teams. Every team plays 14 games (at least) in the CL. This allows bigger teams to play each other more often.
  • CL games will be played on Saturday or Sunday. This way they can facilitate the Asian market with early kickoff times. They also claim it will bring more people to the games.
National league games will have to be played more often on weekdays, or the number of teams in each competition will have to be reduced.

Terrible idea in my opinion.
This, along with the proposal for a sort of second tier Europa League, just looks like another attempt by UEFA to establish its competitions as the norm rather than domestic leagues. It's a step towards a European super league and an assault on domestic competitions. I hope it gets short shrift.

Blackwidow

This has Rummenigge plotting behind this. This idiot will do anything to wreck football as long as Bayern Munich get more pieces of gold.
Rummenigge is not head of the ECA anymore but Agnelli. And no - it is not of interest for Bayern as they can attract their fans that as an average live 200 km away from Munich for international matches on Wednesday - but that will not happen if it is Hoffenheim or a lot of the other German clubs.

Uniquim

Assuming they go straight to two-legged quarter finals from the group stage, max number of games would go from 13 to 19, and the minimum number of games will go from 6 to 14, for pre-qualified games.

It's too many games. United currently have 46 to 62 games in a season, depending on cup competition success. This would take it to 54 to 68 games.

Factor in that 41 of 60 players from top clubs 6 PL clubs that made it into the World Cup knockout stages have been injured so far this season (numbers from Nov 24), because they had no break over the summer, I think adding even more games is unfeasible, and I don't see why domestic leagues would accommodate this. At least not the bigger leagues. According to the bild article, the german football league had been informed of the suggested format, and did not agree with it.

1-5 games in EFL Cup.
1-6 games in the FA Cup.
6-13 games in the Champions League > 14-19 with the new format
38 Premier League games.

Did not count the super cups, but that would add 3-4 for a league & CL champion team. (1 Community Shield, 1 UEFA Super Cup, 1-2 FIFA World Club Cup)

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Uefa: the unflushable turds. Just go away please...
Why would national FAs agree to that and reduce their league attendances across the board to allow CL to be played on weekends ?

binary bot
I think the larger groups is interesting. The current group format is stale.

4 groups of 8.
Every team plays 7 games in total.
Home and Away six nations style(could assign the really bad sides with the extra home game).
4 go through. 4 go out.
More diverse set of fixtures in the groups.

If you join the current groups together you end up with

AB
Dortmund
Atletico
Brugge
Monaco
Barcelona
Spurs
Inter
Psv

CD
PSG
Liverpool
Napoli
Belgrade
Porto
Schalke
Galatasary
Moscow

EF
Bayern
Ajax
Benfica
Athens
City
Lyon
Plzen
Moscow

GH
Madrid
Roma
Plzen
Moscow
Juve
United
Valencia
Young Boys

To be honest when you see the teams led out like that it looks a bit shit. But I think dropping the home/away and playing a greater number of teams is more interesting.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Classic strategy of leaking the really unpalatable idea and then shortly presenting a slightly less offensive but still highly unprincipled idea that sounds reasonable in comparison.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Though I myself am from the Asian market and yes, especially during daylight saving periods, watching the UCL can be a real pain with having work the next morning (it's 1am here), I wouldn't ever give up watching the EPL and BL on a nice Saturday/Sunday night with dinner to watch the UCL.

The UCL has a special occasion to it, so that's something I can keep myself awake for to watch. For EPL/BL, most are inconsequential and therefore people might skip a few for the hassle of having to stay late at night. I am presuming that they will shift the timings of matches to the night so that the locals can watch after work.

Absolutely insane idea, sacrificing the local support for international fans. Don't support it.

izec

Classic strategy of leaking the really unpalatable idea and then shortly presenting a slightly less offensive but still highly unprincipled idea that sounds reasonable in comparison.
Was thinking that myself too.

There are ways to change or twirl it without going completely crazy. But money > everything else, so of course the change will be quite unpleasant

Elite Intelligence

Supports
Arsenal
Like the draw by Brugge against Atletico yesterday? Or Belgrade winning against Liverpool? Or Ajax drawing against Bayern and possibly topping the group? Or CSKA winning against Real? We might have different opinions but I think neutral supporters like those games much more than a dull game between 2 giants. I find the CL very dull, from the quarter finals on, if Utd aren't involved, has been like that for years.

Good idea.
CL is the best competition in football by far, much more entertaining than EPL.

Nobosy cares to see club brugge or teams like that in UCL. Only fans of those teams care. I'm confident games of 2 big teams in a game is much more interesting than big team owning a small club. People only going to tune in if the game is actually still competitive in the 2nd half :lol:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
CL is the best competition in football by far, much more entertaining than EPL.

Nobosy cares to see club brugge or teams like that in UCL. Only fans of those teams care. I'm confident games of 2 big teams in a game is much more interesting than big team owning a small club. People only going to tune in if the game is actually still competitive in the 2nd half :lol:
Yeah feck this jacked up mentality

klsv

Guess this is where we're heading. Don't care to see Brügge, don't care to see Bournemouth. Your club is having a shit seasom? Stop watching the matches. Let's just watch 10 elite clubs playing each other again and again. And some, like myself, are naive enough to hope someone, some day, will want to do something to stop the increasing gap between the elite and the rest to see clubs like Ajax having a chance to win something big again. I care less and less about CL every year to be honest.

Patchbeard

Would much prefer it if they reintroduced a true Champions League with the winners from say the top ranked 7 european leagues + europa league winner, you can throw all them all in an 8 team league so they all play a minimum 14 games which whould all be giant v giant, then have semis of 1st v 4 thand 2nd v 3rd and a final, so max 17 games which is only a couple more than current CL.

And then the Europa League would include all the teams who were 2-4th in the big leagues, and actually become a watchable competition that isn't ridiculed.

LoneStar

I can already hear Jose moaning about the fixture congestion and how being in the Europa league would help solve this.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Guess this is where we're heading. Don't care to see Brügge, don't care to see Bournemouth. Your club is having a shit seasom? Stop watching the matches. Let's just watch 10 elite clubs playing each other again and again. And some, like myself, are naive enough to hope someone, some day, will want to do something to stop the increasing gap between the elite and the rest to see clubs like Ajax having a chance to win something big again. I care less and less about CL every year to be honest.
This proposal would massively help the likes of ajax actually. It's the cardiff, huesca and frosinone who'd get shafted

D4X73r

Just introduce random draw with no seeds and country restriction, and you'll get an amazing competition.

Call me, UEFA head dude.
This would be great. Better chance for smaller teams to get further (if Brugge plays against YB Bern for example) and also more interesting pairings directly after the group stage.