Gaming New Daily Doddle

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
Hi Folks,

I've launched a new game. If any of you like word puzzles, please give it a go, invite your mates and even better, like and follow the facebook page. Your comments and ideas (good and bad) are very welcome too. You could help shape how it evolves (as well as getting thoroughly addicted of course!!)

Doddle
(1) Doddle | Facebook

thanks in advance
MFFM :devil:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Nice idea. My immediate thought is you might have to limit vowels and uncommon consonants. I had 8 vowels and 2 J's which made it harder than expected.

I was also playing it like I was supposed to fill the grid which might be a nice option to have (if not a different game entirely).

I like the scoring graphic at the end :)

MancFanFromManc

Not a bad game tbf. Didn't realise it was like scrabble in its scoring.
Good point. I think we need to improve the help lines. People will think its like Wordle and try to fill it line at a time. Its not obv, as you say more like Scrabble but you get one letter at a time and have to place those then hope for letters that make up high scoring words. My pers fav is a double use of an X, e.g. BOX and FOX

MancFanFromManc

Nice idea. My immediate thought is you might have to limit vowels and uncommon consonants. I had 8 vowels and 2 J's which made it harder than expected.

I was also playing it like I was supposed to fill the grid which might be a nice option to have (if not a different game entirely).

I like the scoring graphic at the end :)
Thanks, excellent feedback :)

The day you tried it, we had fixed it so everyone got the same letters that day. We have reverted to it being more random, but it is weighted towards vowels. We want it to be a good combination of luck and skill. Some days you'll get awful letters, others you'll smash it. We'll be adding stats and a leaderboard soon too

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Thanks, excellent feedback :)

The day you tried it, we had fixed it so everyone got the same letters that day. We have reverted to it being more random, but it is weighted towards vowels. We want it to be a good combination of luck and skill. Some days you'll get awful letters, others you'll smash it. We'll be adding stats and a leaderboard soon too
I had 5 consonants from 14 letters. Found it tricky today :lol:

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Hopefully that makes you want to come back and try again...
Does everyone get the same letters for the day or is it purely random?

Edit: just seen it's different for different people.

Makes the scoring a bit meh, not everyone is going to have a chance of a good score

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Just scored myself a 72, albeit on my third attempt in incognito. It's quite addictive.

MancFanFromManc

Does everyone get the same letters for the day or is it purely random?

Edit: just seen it's different for different people.

Makes the scoring a bit meh, not everyone is going to have a chance of a good score
We did launch using the same letters for everyone each day, but its too easy to cheat. Plus I'm keen for it to be a mixture of skill and luck

For everyone who agreed thats it is addiction - oh I know! I am considering allowing 5 (or may 10) tries per day and a leaderboard for high score and highest daily/weekly/monthly average scores. What do you think? Any other suggestions to improve it? ps. Stats and medals are coming soon too :)

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
We did launch using the same letters for everyone each day, but its too easy to cheat. Plus I'm keen for it to be a mixture of skill and luck

For everyone who agreed thats it is addiction - oh I know! I am considering allowing 5 (or may 10) tries per day and a leaderboard for high score and highest daily/weekly/monthly average scores. What do you think? Any other suggestions to improve it? ps. Stats and medals are coming soon too :)
Limit it to 5 ranked games a day, but then allow free play after those 5 which don't go into the rankings.

Either rank by total score across the 5 first games, or average score from those games.

Then same for weekly, either total score from the possible 35 games, or the average from the possible 35.

MancFanFromManc

Limit it to 5 ranked games a day, but then allow free play after those 5 which don't go into the rankings.

Either rank by total score across the 5 first games, or average score from those games.

Then same for weekly, either total score from the possible 35 games, or the average from the possible 35.
Thanks. I agree. We're keeping it simple for now (1 game a day) but you're right, its just too addictive to keep it this way for much longer :)

Big Andy

Bloke
I like it. fecking frustrating when you've got two potential five letter words (one with a Z today) and then the letter you're waiting for to end one word and start the other doesn't fecking arrive and you get a bastard J.

MancFanFromManc

I like it. fecking frustrating when you've got two potential five letter words (one with a Z today) and then the letter you're waiting for to end one word and start the other doesn't fecking arrive and you get a bastard J.
Tell me about, buts that part of the fun :lol: The "hope" is that when you have a wind up go, you come back to improve the day after. The stats are off line atm, but we should get those back up this evening

Getting a Z or J early on is great cos you can place em at the top, but when you get them at the end... :mad::mad:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Thinking out loud here but could you implement something like there being one definite 5 letter word that you can make per day?

I think it'd work really well if there was a 'hidden' word people knew they could make - or give up and make up smaller ones for less points because it's easier.

The popularity/addictive quality of Wordle for me was all about that one word you're supposed to make. This one is more about scoring so it'd be a nice balance between the two.

slyadams

This is super addictive, I love it. My only gripe is the vowel/consonant balance. One game I started with 8 vowels and 1 constant, impossible to score.

Big Andy

Bloke
How many people play this game? I'm currently sat at #41 in the world, but that's not impressive if only 50 people play it.

MancFanFromManc

Big brain time. In truth, I enjoyed the game so much I use incognito mode to play more than 1 time a day!
Love hearing this! I'm in the process of increasing it to allow 10 goes a day, then taking the average and high score for the leaderboards

I've added daily streaks today. I plan to add "coins" soon too. They'll be used for things like changing letters, restart, extra game etc

slyadams

I think ranking is based on your history, and I use incognito to play many times a day.