New Fantasy Draft: brought to you by Cal? - Quarter Final 1

Which team do you think will win the New Fantasy Draft's first quarter-final match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
* The aim of the game is to select a team of 11 players from all the current footballers playing who are born on or after June 25, 1987.
* Players chosen will be judged on their careers so far, everything they have achieved, selection should not be based on how good you think they'd become.
* The poll will last for 24 hours

Quarter Final 1 - Torpedo KM vs Team Solius AC

KM

Solius

Tactics:

If you notice, KM has changed his tactics to counter the threat of Defour and Dzagoev, because he knows they are dangerous. He's moved Bangea back into a defensive role, which does not really suit him, he used to play there but has changed his game to a more creative role. With Song in my team it now has a much better balance and give Defour and Dzagoev license to cause problems (Defour's best position is as an Attacking Midfielder). If they stifle them, what about the wings? Costa and Ayew are always a major threat, and if he's concentrating his midfielders energy on stopping my midfield trio, he will lose the game out wide. Alba and Walker are not exactly the greatest defensively, as shown by KM's first match where his tactics stated that they bomb forward. How will they cope with Costa who can cut inside or go down the line? Ayew's pace? Lucas isn't going to track back, and I'm sure he's just been picked based on the thread about him a few weeks ago, a good young player of course, but this is about now. Sanchez best form of late has actually been as a second striker, so him on the wing wouldn't get the best out of him either.

There are weaknesses in areas where we are strongest, his striker is nowhere near as good as it could be (Which is why his assistant Brwned was talking about taking Benzema if they win) his full-backs aren't as good ability wise, and of all the midfielders on show, Witsel is the weakest.
More details of the teams can be found: https://www.redcafe.net/f7/new-fantasy-draft-quarter-finals-329475/

K Stand Knut

Wow. I'm shocked at the first 4 votes going against KM.

I think both defences are shit but is midfield 3 and attacking options are far better (except the one striker)

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Actually Lucas was given his first start for the Brazilian NT at the age of 18, and was praised extensively by his boss but let's leave that for a moment.

As far as bombing the wide area, Sissoko has been moved to the right hand side just to counter that threat, while Sanchez has been put to take advantage of any spaces left by Marcelo. Banega usually plays in that deep lying midfielder role and is competent defensively. Song is a good player but has a tendency to go forward too much and leave spaces behind which can be exploited very effectively by midfielders.

Also I disagree that Witsel is the weakest of the midfielders, he has been in terrific form this season and there is a reason why he's being courted by the likes of AC Milan.

Again Solius's back line is very weak particularly his center back pairing and his goalkeeping and someone like Caicedo who is a tireless runner(eg his goal against Barcelona last week) and was described by Sid Lowe as the following ". In fact, he has the best shots-per-goal ratio in the league. Sometimes asked to hold the ball up and bring others into play; more often asked to smash his way past defenders almost on his own. Quick, skillful, strong. And unaided" could make full use of it.

KM

Szczesny- Despite being an Arrogant cnut, there should be no denial to Szczesny’s talent. At the age of 21(which is extremely young for a GK) he has gone on to become Arsenal’s No.1 after impressing at loan to Brentford and then impressing at Arsenal in some fringe matches. Definitely one of the best young GK’s in the world

Walker- Signed by Spurs from Sheffield United(where he became the youngest Blades player to play at Wembley), he has been a revelation at Aston Villa, so much so that he broke into the English Squad at the age of 21 but had to withdraw due to an injury. Naturally attacking right back but a solid defender also, he has been a shining light in Villa’s bad season so far.

Otamendi- Anyone who becomes a regular fixture in Argentinian National Team at the age of 23 deserves a lot of credit. The centre back who can also perform adequately at the right back is a defender in the Rio Ferdinand mould but with the added bonus of scoring goals. His record for Porto(5 goals in 16 matches) is really a phenomenal return for a central defender.

Smalling- Nothing to say, you all know about him

Jordi Alba- An excellent dribbler with pace to burn, the energy to get up and down that wing all day and the ability to pick out an excellent cross. Versatile enough to play as a left back, winger or centre mid with the variety of qualities to play each to a strong level. A late developer without doubt, he got his chance in the Valencia first team following a number of injuries and he made an immediate impression with his energy, technique and willingness to get forward season. An attacking threat that any team should worry about, will not only provide terrific width but has genuine quality in that left foot.

Witsel- Blessed with an impressive physique, a very high technical level and an excellent driving mentality, he is extremely well rounded. A strong short passing game, excellent close control, good dribbling and plenty of flair. Along with this he's got a great engine (well combined with a smart pressing game), is quick across the ground, is physically imposing and strong in the air. Best used as the most adventurous in a midfield three, linking midfield and attack with his passing and intelligent movement, but very comfortable as an orthodox centre mid adding presence and composure in deep areas.

Moussa Sissoko- A midfielder in the Yaya Toure mould. His most used asset is his dribbling and strong running. His passing's extremely crisp, incisive and reliable, his stamina's excellent, his awareness is very good and his tackling is very formidable - alongside a creative holder like Banega, Carrick or Alonso he can flourish, allowing him the freedom to push forward while being able to pick him out in threatening areas with incisive passing. A feature of every France youth team, debuted for the full team last year in a friendly and will continue to establish himself further following a move to a larger European club.

Banega- The Creative hub of my team, Banega has become one of the best midfielders in Spain outside the Top two. On his top form, he is really amongst the most complete midfielders in the world, he won the League with Boca Juniors playing as a Holding Midfielder, however after coming in Spain, he has really transformed into a top creative player. Various Pundits have labelled Maradona’s decision not to include Banega in the WC as his worst decision of his controversial management.

Sanchez- The Jewel of Italian Football, the Chilean since from his teenage days has been labelled as the New Cristiano Ronaldo and for a change this label is somewhat quite accurate. Graduating from the excellent Colo-Colo football academy, he has always been a talented player but has really come into his own at Udinese this season. Moving him to the “in the hole” position by the Udinese manager has been a real masterstroke and his Partnership with Di Natale upfront has smashed all kinds of records. Amongst the finest wingers in the world today

Lucas- Need no more than a succinct description from his manager at u20 level: "Lucas gives the coach the option of changing the team during the game. He can be a second forward, a centralized playmaker, a winger, or even a deep lying midfielder. He plays in direction of the goal. Lucas uses his strength a lot and finishes well too". Added to that he has tremendous pace, a wonderfully low centre of gravity, excellent work rate and a very strong incisive short passing game. He is very impressive with his tackling, regularly winning the ball high up the pitch, and along with Sanchez, Witsel and Sissoko he will be involved in intense pressing.

Caicedo- I wouldn’t write anything about him, I would just quote what Sid Lowe wrote about him a month ago “. He has scored 11 goals this season from just 17 starts. No one else has more than four in the whole team. And it's not as if that's because he has been fed loads of chances, or because he shoots wildly and often. In fact, he has the best shots-per-goal ratio in the league. Sometimes asked to hold the ball up and bring others into play; more often asked to smash his way past defenders almost on his own. Quick, skillful, strong. And unaided.”

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Defour's best position is as an Attacking Midfielder

Lucas isn't going to track back

Bangea back into a defensive role, which does not really suit him he used to play there but has changed his game to a more creative role

of all the midfielders on show, Witsel is the weakest
Can I just point out he's just outright lied about the first three and the latter's very debatable (something tells me the Belgian fans wouldn't say the same, you know, the ones who actually watch him every week...).

Witsel's the more attacking of him and Defour, that's why in Belgium's two most recent games Witsel was played in behind the striker - scoring two in one of them - while Defour was played as a deep, combative midfielder. That's Defour's best position.

Lucas is very hard working, one of the most hard working players in the team. He's seen him in one game and yet decided to comment on his strengths and weaknesses...hmm.

Banega's played as the deepest midfielder for Valencia in most of his games, and it's his best role. He's very creative but that's regarding his ability not his role - he's a more combative Carrick in style. Having Witsel and Sissoko alongside him means he's hardly going to be doing a Mascherano anyway.

K Stand Knut

Asenjo and Chesney, Marcelo, Badstuber, Smalling - all right up there amongst the best in their positions for the age group
Chesney is good, no more. Asenjo is not even the best goalkeeper at his club. Marcelo is very, very average defensively but admittedly an outstanding prospect going forward. Smalling I agree with and Badstuber I cannot pass comment on as I do not know enough about him.

If they were all on the same team, it'd be worth a mention but they are not so I don't think it is a valid point.

Breno has only managed 7 games this season for Nuremberg, Kyle Walker, Meh!!!! Opare - again don't know much about him but Real Madrid were not keen to keep him in a position they need to strengthen in and now plays in Belgium!

Enigma_87

You know who
Wow. I'm shocked at the first 4 votes going against KM.

I think both defences are shit but is midfield 3 and attacking options are far better (except the one striker)
Me too tbh. KM team is more balanced and man by man(as the tactics are pretty much the same) his team is better.

I can only see his team having worse full backs and Benzema is clearly better option than Caicedo, but apart from that, it's a pretty straight forward choice imo...

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Great??? Really???!?!? I would not describe either of their defences as great, far from it.
How are they far better? Based on FM? Hardly a big difference between Defour and Witsel. Song is better than Sissoko. Don't know much about Dzagoev but Banega has been very hyped on this forum due to a particular poster.

I thought Solius had a much more dangerous attacking threat. Ayew and Marcelo on the left. Only attacking thread I saw in KM teams was Sanchez.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I think compared to the first match which was me vs Solius, Solius' team looks totally different with Song in there to shore up the midfield, and that is what edges it for me.

Whilst they are both excellent teams, KMs midfield and attack just doesnt look quite as stable or balanced.

Still a bit bitter about going out mind you, im a terrible loser.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Any space left by Marcelo (where Sanchez apparently will operate), can be covered by Song, which is what he is there for. He is the only real attacking threat on KM's team which seems to have been shuffled about to find some sort of balance. It's useless having someone like Banega so deep when your attacking options are limited. They can big up Caicedo all they want but he's not even in the same league ability wise compared to Benzema.

Brwned

How are they far better? Based on FM? Hardly a big difference between Defour and Witsel. Song is better than Sissoko. Don't know much about Dzagoev but Banega has been very hyped on this forum due to a particular poster.

I thought Solius had a much more dangerous attacking threat. Ayew and Marcelo on the left. Only attacking thread I saw in KM teams was Sanchez.
Sissoko's quite attacking, he's definitely not a defensive midfielder - he's played on the right of a diamond manys-a-time and is very forward thinking. He puts in a big shift and is very combative but he's not to be compared with Song. He's got great attacking qualities like a strong strike and strong dribbling, although he's not a regular scorer.

Witsel's a big attacking threat with 30 goals for his club and 5 in 17 for his country. And on the Witsel-Defour debate, from a Belgian newbie just a couple of weeks ago...

I know Defour is very highly rated on here, but I don't think he should be a target for United.

Last 2 seasons he had a lot of injuries which stopped his progress a bit.

If United would target a player from the Belgian league, it should be Axel Witsel in my opinion.

He had a hard time after the ban for the horrible leg-breaking tackle, but this seasons he's been really fantastic. Best player in the belgian league and still quite young.

He's a very complete central midfielder; very good passer, does his defensive work and scores goals.

Also has a very good shot from long range, scored his 10th goal of the season with a fantastic shot from outside the box today. (just bad it was against my favourite Belgian team:( )
Caicedo's got the best shots to goals ratio in La Liga and he has as many league goals as Benzema this season (despite playing for low-scoring Levante, 14th lowest scorers in the league).

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Again this is based on their careers so far remember, Benzema clearly having had the better so far than Caicedo. Base you Defour Witsel ideas on what you've seen yourself.

Brwned

Which obviously isn't very much on Solius' part given he thinks Defour's an attacking midfielder...

;)

KM

Again this is based on their careers so far remember, Benzema clearly having had the better so far than Caicedo. Base you Defour Witsel ideas on what you've seen yourself.
How many times have you seen Witsel to judge that he was the worst midfielder out of the lot?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He can play there anyway, plus we're just going on what you've said, and you're playing for the other team!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
How many times have you seen Witsel to judge that he was the worst midfielder out of the lot?
I think about 3 times, but this info was more from my assistant than myself.

KM

I think about 3 times, but this info was more from my assistant than myself.
Fair enough then.

Though that doesn't mean Witsel is the worst of the lot :smirk:

Brwned

He can play there anyway, plus we're just going on what you've said, and you're playing for the other team!
It's entirely coincidental that that newbie post happened to be highly favourable towards our player, you can be sure that if the players were swapped then I'd still have posted it so the voters have a bit more of an idea...of course.

Anyway, it should be made clear that this team has tremendous tactical flexibility and if a quick switch needed to be made there'd be no shortage of options:

Does Solius have this flexibility in his team? I think not. We've seen Sir Alex play players in different positions frequently according the game or periods in the game - see Fletcher playing left wing v Milan last season as one of the most blatant examples - and it's a big strength of this team:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It's entirely coincidental that that newbie post happened to be highly favourable towards our player, you can be sure that if the players were swapped then I'd still have posted it so the voters have a bit more of an idea...of course.

Anyway, it should be made clear that this team has tremendous tactical flexibility and if a quick switch needed to be made there'd be no shortage of options:

Does Solius have this flexibility in his team? I think not. We've seen Sir Alex play players in different positions frequently according the game or periods in the game - see Fletcher playing left wing v Milan last season as one of the most blatant examples - and it's a big strength of this team:
--
--

Our team can interchange positions too. We mentioned it in our first game. Obviously before they pounce on it, every player won't be perfect in some positions, but they can and will play there if needed. Costa especially can play all across the attack.

Brwned

I've honestly seen hardly any of Dzagoev, could he really play out wide?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I've honestly seen hardly any of Dzagoev, could he really play out wide?
He can, it's not his best position by any means but he's played there. IIRC he drifted out there a lot against us.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Caicedo's got the best shots to goals ratio in La Liga and he has as many league goals as Benzema this season (despite playing for low-scoring Levante, 14th lowest scorers in the league).
Indeed, second only to Lisandro in Europe's better leagues as far as I'm aware.

Valentino

to be fair checked again the line ups. i like solius much more. dont know why i had decided to make it a coin draw.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Would be nice to have the vote then, this will be very close so if you prefer mine then don't leave it to a coin toss.

Brwned

I'm surprised anyone would be unimpressed by Walker, he's had a great loan spell at Aston Villa and shown everyone he has real quality. His pass to Bent for the second goal just yesterday was excellent and his ability on the ball is really very good, surprisingly so for an English player (never mind an English defender, light years ahead of Richards in that sense). Not relevant to this draft but he's got it in him to wrap up that Spurs and England right back slot for years. Likewise for Alba. I don't think either of them are top notch defenders but they're far from poor, and I'd say the same about both of Solius' fullbacks.

Breno's surely got huge question marks surrounding him - sent off in his last league start, hardly covered himself in glory against Inter in his last CL start and he might even be on his way out this summer, undoubtedly to be remembered as a flop...He's got plenty of talent but he's naive and mistake-prone.

Badstuber was seen as a bit of a weak link last season for both Germany and Bayern and this was exploited at the WC and in the CL, as we saw first hand in his games against us. That being said he's a lot more comfortable at centre back and does have potential in that position. He's not had the best of seasons this year but very much in the Jonny Evans sense, he's just in poor form. Still, he's shown signs of naivety and that could be gotten at in such an important and difficult position for a young player.

Many people may not recognise Otamendi's name straight away but he was Argentina's starting right back for the latter stages of Argentina's qualifying and all of their WC games and he was steady and reliable throughout, one of the few players under the Maradona era to come out with any credit. Maradona when talking about his starting backline said: “I tried out lots of full-backs, I tried with Zanetti, [Emiliano] Papa, and I finished up with four central defenders,” said Maradona. “I think I’m going to play like that, they’re the ones who give me guarantees at the back." outlining his trust in him when picking him over Zanetti and seeing him as reliable in general. When speaking of Otamendi his former coach Ricardo Gareca said: “He plays like a veteran. In centre-backs, cases like this are very rare,”.

I could find quotes to say similar about Smalling - talking of his maturity, his assuredness and his reliability - but we've all seen that in abundance this season so it's a waste of words, really.

Maturity's key in this position and Smalling and Otamendi are well above most others in their position at their age.

Valentino

""""I'm surprised anyone would be unimpressed by Walker."""

Thats because he is most unimpressive. Yes at mediocre team he looks decent. but in this game we are building world class sides not ones that would only fight to avoid relegation. Charlie Adam at mediocre team made world player of the year shortlist, doesnt me he is better individual than some kid who is just a rotation player at team like Man United, and is not that noticeable.

Brwned

Yes, that's why your team has Adam Matthews. Good lord.

I'm not sure how he looks unimpressive compared to Elmohamady, Adam Matthews, Coleman, Obradovic or Opare. Even the big name European ones left in it are hardly a class above...I watched Azplicueta against Lille and he was run ragged, taken off because he was a liability to be sent off. Uchida looked terribly naive against us. Richards is possibly the best right back left in it, and yet Walker's 'meh'? Nah.

Brwned

Ouch, looked like Solius had Valentino's vote wrapped up until it was stolen away by that very timely banning.

Still nothing between the two teams.