New Fantasy Draft: brought to you by Cal? - Quarter Final 2

Which team do you think would win quarter-final number 2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
* The aim of the game is to select a team of 11 players from all the current footballers playing who are born on or after June 25, 1987.
* Players chosen will be judged on their careers so far, everything they have achieved, selection should not be based on how good you think they'd become.
* The poll will last for 24 hours

Quarter Final 2 - Lokmotiv Mighty Boosh vs phelan shorts athletic

Mighty Boosh
Manager: Might Boosh
Assistant Manager: The Taurean

phelan shorts

Tactics:

Well where do you start with this side? Lets start in a highly important area of this side for this game in particular, now don't get me wrong Boosh's midfield area isn't bad but come on, there's no comparison between the two. Sahin and Fellaini in that area have all the necessary ability to just not lose the ball, with the added ability they have of winning it back whenever necessary, essentially starving Nasri of the ball whilst running Gustavo and Martinez ragged.

As for the defence well where to begin, facing the likes of Balotelli; Willian and Higuiain are some established players, Matthews with his ability to play on either side makes him very useful against Mario who could try whatever he want's, he's facing a player who's only weakness is his age itself, which gives him strength in this competition. Canella will have very few problems facing up against Willian who, let's face it, isn't playing at anywhere near the level that the Spaniard is weekly, with Willian often looking out of his depth against bigger sides whilst Canella is marking some of Europe's top players. Higuain is a very good player, but can he score without getting any service agaisnt a defence that is both quick and tall, nullifying any advantages he has over one?

As for my front 4, well let's put it this way, it's basically a 4 on 4, with my 4 consisting of 3 superstars and the not far off that level Holtby, with his defence being the main weakness he has I feel we have the major advantage
More details of the teams can be found: https://www.redcafe.net/f7/new-fantasy-draft-quarter-finals-329475/

Cal?

CR7 fan
Hmm... MB with a striker on the wing and PS with a striker who can't really play alone upfront... :confused:

MalteseRedDevil

Boosh didn't take a player from the last round. Could prove very costly. I think its really close anyway but that one player could have tipped the balance

MalteseRedDevil

oh, looked at the quarter final thread and there was not highlighted green name.

EDIT- Higuain in for Abel Hernandez.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Hmm... it'd at least cost you a vote when Val's ban finishes later today. :p
Yup, Valentino's ban is up in two hours.. And we all know what's the first thing he is gonna do when he's back.. :p

By the way phelans shorts, sacking your assistant manager doesn't necessarily win you extra votes. In fact from a football perspective this should be hurting your team's chances, because it disrupts the atmosphere in the dressing room and makes it harder for your team to adapt suddenly to the new tactical approach.. Besides, I heard Holtby isn't happy AT ALL after sacking his favorite member of the staff. :D

Anyway, sacking a member of the staff DURING the season is never a good idea in the world of football.. You took some risk there, let's see how it works out for you..

Cal?

CR7 fan
Yup, Valentino's ban is up in two hours.. And we all know what's the first thing he is gonna do when he's back.. :p

By the way phelans shorts, sacking your assistant manager doesn't necessarily win you extra votes. In fact from a football perspective this should be hurting your team's chances, because it disrupts the atmosphere in the dressing room and makes it harder for your team to adapt suddenly to the new tactical approach.. Besides, I heard Holtby isn't happy AT ALL after sacking his favorite member of the staff. :D

Anyway, sacking a member of the staff DURING the season is never a good idea in the world of football.. You took some risk there, let's see how it works out for you..
Will it be like the aftermath of Chelsea sacking Wilkins? or will it prove to be a stroke of genius when everyone upset with that thread comes vote for PS? ;)

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Will it be like the aftermath of Chelsea sacking Wilkins? or will it prove to be a stroke of genius when everyone upset with that thread comes vote for PS? ;)
That's the question.. It could go either way..

Nevertheless, I think that Valentino's ban + cider's thread will hurt phelans' chances in collecting those "angry votes" a bit.. Valentino's reaction (when he comes back from his ban) could prove crucial though..

We'll see..

Valentino

Look at the team guys. U see a bad player in it, it was all Phelan shorts picks, you see a good player - you see my influence. Without me the team would have been gone. I am going to give you a insight of the team creation. Mathews, Albrigton, Fellaini was all his idea. Now identify the weak points in the team? Albrigton is already gone. Now look at the guys who carry the teams weight. Hamsik, Holtby, Suhin, Showcross. Yup thats all me.

that PS guy is just such an incompetent manager. he even went for hazard instead of neymar , he disregarded my strongest advice to get a brazilian star. Today neymar would have won this game on his own.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Look at the team guys. U see a bad player in it, it was all Phelan shorts picks, you see a good player - you see my influence. Without me the team would have been gone. I am going to give you a insight of the team creation. Mathews, Albrigton, Fellaini was all his idea. Now identify the weak points in the team? Albrigton is already gone. Now look at the guys who carry the teams weight. Hamsik, Holtby, Suhin, Showcross. Yup thats all me.

that PS guy is just such an incompetent manager. he even went for hazard instead of neymar , he disregarded my strongest advice to get a brazilian star. Today neymar would have won this game on his own.
And there goes Mighty Boosh's chances to win this one..

Congratulations Phelans shorts. :D

IBleedRed

likes to use pantyhose
Yeah I'm sure no one would have thought of hamsik or sahin if you had not been a part of his game...

And chelsea only got to there due to own goals in both ties leading to the final

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Hazard in place of Neymar is a genius choice, well done PS

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Personally I'd have gone with Neymar...
I'm not sure why Cal.

Hazard is more experienced, plays in a better league and has consistently played well for Lille(helping them to a title this season).

Neymar is supremely talented, but as of now Hazard is a better player.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I'm not sure why Cal.

Hazard is more experienced, plays in a better league and has consistently played well for Lille(helping them to a title this season).

Neymar is supremely talented, but as of now Hazard is a better player.
I'm not sure Ligue 1 is better than the Brasileiro...

Anyway, as mentioned earlier, I'm not convinced with Pato being a lone striker upfront, hence I'd have gone with Neymar and put him upfront with Pato.

Cal?

CR7 fan
You've got to be kidding.
No, not kidding at all, there may be more money and a better structure to the league in France, but the number of quality teams is higher in Brazil.

If you pitted 1st v 1st, 2nd v 2nd etc in the 2 leagues, I'm pretty convinced that anywhere below 3rd v 3rd, the Braziliains will be favourites to win the game.

phelans shorts

No, not kidding at all, there may be more money and a better structure to the league in France, but the number of quality teams is higher in Brazil.

If you pitted 1st v 1st, 2nd v 2nd etc in the 2 leagues, I'm pretty convinced that anywhere below 3rd v 3rd, the Braziliains will be favourites to win the game.
He says the week after Lille win Ligue Un :lol:

Valentino

The return of Valentino has seen me move from 6 behind to taking the lead :lol:
the result is still close enough for me to hit the final decisive blow and 'sack' you from the tournament. You have to realize that there is nothing that would make me happier than that.

And i want to let you know. That if you didnt forced me to quit the job. We would have won the this tournament look at line up. The PS team couldnt face a stronger opposing midfield. And yet it dominated every position. Nasri is amazing, but Hamsik just a little better, Bolloteli talent is supreme but Hazard is just more accomplished playing wide, Higuain is one of the best strikers in the tournament, but he is up against the Best. Willian is sold player but his talent is second tier, and Holtby - ALL STAR. Fellaini + Suhin also crush their direct opposition. can you imagine how much we would have achieved together if only you had the sense to let me lead the team ?

Mighty Boosh

Phelan's shorts' side has got so many goals in it, he'd still be my favourite to win the whole thing
On paper I can see where you are coming from with this statement but I think if Phelans' team was actually to play a match it could struggle to score much the way Arsenal do at times. I know he boasts an impressive array of attacking talent but what he is seriously lacking in is a goal poacher. Leading the line is not Pato's natural position and I think he would struggle there against my two very physical centre backs in Boateng and Carrico.

Higuain is a proven goalscorer and he will get plenty of chances due to the creativity of Nasri, Willian and Balotelli. In the OP Phelan claims that Willian often looks out of his depth against bigger sides but this simply isn't the case. He had arguably two of his best games of the season against Roma in the Champions League and managed to get on the scoresheet with a fantastic goal. Another area I think voters may be overlooking is goalkeeper. I can't stress enough how talented Ospina and of all the keepers selected in the draft I would rank him second only to De Gea. He is miles ahead of Mignolet who is distinctly average in my opinion and can be a liability at times. Also for some reason he seems to have a very high opinion of Adam Matthews which I really can't understand to be honest. This is a defender who has only started two games all season in the Championship and is still very inexperienced so to suggest he could easily contain Balotelli is ridiculous.

phelans shorts

Nah, Matthews doesn't play as he was injured early on then announced he was leaving, which annoyed Jones.

Pato is quick enough to get in behind your defence and whilst your midfield may be creative but as mentioned in the OP what good is that if they don't have the ball?

Also don't forget how god awful Roma have been all year, putting performances in against them this year is nothing to brag about.

Mighty Boosh

My point still stands about Matthews though, he is inexperienced at the highest level having only made 39 appearances for Cardiff and in my opinion Balotelli would run him ragged.

You again mention that my midfield would struggle to win the ball but I think you are overestimating your own midfield partnership. I agree that Sahin is a very good player but I've failed to be impressed whenever I've watched Felliani. While Javi Martinez and Luiz Gustavo may not be as well know I believe they give me the perfect balance in midfield. Gustavo is as tough as nails and loves to tackle and break up attacks while Javi Martinez is the perfect link between midfield and attack and is an absolute beast of a man, 6ft 3 and 86kg. These two certainly won't be pushed off the ball and are an excellent pairing.

Mighty Boosh

Size is literally all Felliani has, he's a very limited player in my eyes. In the OP you mention that Sahin and Felliani will dominate my midfield pairing but I honestly can't see that happening and you haven't really given a proper explanation as to why you think that.

phelans shorts

Watching Fellaini it's clear he has technical ability, why do you think Everton moved him up front the other year? He's a fantastic ball player who also puts his foot in to every challenge.

Valentino

It's weird how you guys keep saying that pato cant play as leading striker. As if he is off the game completely. As if the team is left with 10 men. Even though he plays lone striker for brazil all the time.

Mighty Boosh

The same reason Blackburn stuck Samba up front at times last season, he's a big lump who can win the ball in the air. Got nothing to do with his supposed technical ability.

Still waiting for some proper reasoning behind "Sahin and Fellaini in that area have all the necessary ability to just not lose the ball, with the added ability they have of winning it back whenever necessary, essentially starving Nasri of the ball whilst running Gustavo and Martinez ragged" as I honestly don't see that as a valid point and there's no way my midfield would be overrun.

Mighty Boosh

It's weird how you guys keep saying that pato cant play as leading striker. As if he is off the game completely. As if the team is left with 10 men. Even though he plays lone striker for brazil all the time.
Which is exactly why he's often struggled to replicate his excellent club form for them.

phelans shorts

Fellaini puts his foot into every challenge and very rarely loses the ball once he has it, add in Sahin who never gives it away either and your players are left chasing the balls shadow constantly.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Fellaini puts his foot into every challenge and very rarely loses the ball once he has it, add in Sahin who never gives it away either and your players are left chasing the balls shadow constantly.
You make them sound like Iniesta and Xavi.