New malaria vaccination - WHO approves first ever Malaria Vaccine

that’s not going to help with overpopulation.. joke.

is there any link between this and the work on COVID vaccines? The fact that we are spending a colossal amount of money on effort on vaccine for COVID may also have some positive side effects - this being one?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

is there any link between this and the work on COVID vaccines? The fact that we are spending a colossal amount of money on effort on vaccine for COVID may also have some positive side effects - this being one?
From what I understand, the covid vaccine proved the MRNA technology at Moderna works, so in theory they should be able to adapt it to other diseases.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
This could be something which can hopefully put a stop to so many unnecessary deaths from something so common although its potential can only be delivered if logistically they can make it happen. Developing the vaccine is excellent news but now the most important part is that it can reach those that are most at risk.

OleBoiii

Great news!

It's a nasty disease. My dad got it twice in his late 60's/early 70's. He got pretty sick, but survived.

Last edited:

Tarrou

I know you're joking but vaccines have helped decrease population growth in developing countries

something to do with people no longer thinking they need to have a dozen kids to make sure two or three survive past the age of five

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

Vaccines were the classic Cinderella product, hard to develop, hard to recoup costs even if you get a successful product. It's now had an inrush, not just of cash, but of interest and expertise. This trial started earlier though, it's already been underway for a year.

With covid there's been a genuine increased level of communication and cooperation - formal and informal - between different companies and researchers and it really does open new doors. Hopefully we'll see the benefits of that in the next few years.

This Oxford malaria vaccine uses an adjuvant developed by Novavax and the manufacturing expertise is coming from SII (Serum Institute of India). That kind of cooperative development/knowledge sharing is a huge deal.

Last edited:
There's a massive link to the Covid projects. Vaccines were the classic Cinderella product, hard to develop, hard to recoup costs even if you get a successful product. It's now had an inrush, not just of cash, but of interest and expertise.

Add to that, a genuine increased level of communication and cooperation - formal and informal - between different companies and researchers and it really does open new doors.

The Oxford vaccine uses an adjuvant developed by Novavax and the manufacturing expertise is coming from SII (Serum Institute of India). That kind of cooperative development/knowledge sharing is a huge deal.
thanks. Appreciate the insight. It’s not an area I know a lot about - but it would seem an obvious link.

I suppose the other point would be that malaria is not prevalent in western countries - and so even less incentive/ profit in developing the vaccine.

I know you're joking but vaccines have helped decrease population growth in developing countries

something to do with people no longer thinking they need to have a dozen kids to make sure two or three survive past the age of five
good point, and one I wouldn’t have thought about.

Great news. Living in Asia for a few years malaria was a constant concern.

Mosquitos are the one creature I'd kill off without hesitation.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

First thing that popped into my head too. We're just bad people. :(

However, hoping people will just have fewer kids if survival rates are higher.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Yep. Common misconception that these people just have large families for the sake of it.

Dante

Average bang
Great news. Malaria is the most deadly disease in history. Estimated to have killed about 50 billion (with a 'b') people. If this works, it'll be one of the greatest contributions that medical science has ever made.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Not just infectious diseases. There are high hopes that we can develop mRNA vaccines that prime your immune system to target and destroy cancer cells.
But everyone will inexplicably find themselves buying a new Surface Pro.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Fantastic news. I had a comparatively mild form of Malaria when I was 13 - it's still by far the worst sickness i've ever had.
Like adex said, it really is a bitch.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Amazing news - hope the rollout starts with the poorest first.

LARulz

Yep - same as education (as obvious as that sounds). There were many things in the book Factfulness which discussed this - would highly recommend