New offside proposal

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
No its an awful idea. Football teams aren't stupid and if you can get what is potentially a 1.5m head start on defenders with this offside rule they will just defend deeper. If you can't play a high line without being absolutely ripped to pieces then teams won't play it. It would be so easy to stay onside.

As to it improving the "pinkie offside", of course it wouldn't. You are still drawing lines. You are still saying offside or onside. I don't know why this is so hard to understand. You can make up whatever arbitrary point you want but that is still a hard point that will be adhered to and some decisions will sit 1mm over that line and other will sit 1mm under that line. Christ, make it 2m if you want, there will still be offsides that are 2.01m offside.
It's a terrible idea. Surprised at Wenger not getting that it doesn't resolve anything.

Skills

Snitch
Also, wouldn't you need Birdseye view now to verify if part of the attacker is on-side? It's would hard to tell side on.

Scriblerus

The problem is that once you introduce the precision of VAR there are always going to be hairline decisions - it has to be an absolute binary of onside or offside with tiny margins to be determined. You are drawing a line somewhere, whether it's about daylight or shirt sleeve positions, and there is no margin of interpretation, no subjective allowance. The only way I can see to speed up the process is to reduce the parts of the body that need to be taken into consideration - and logically that would be the primary scoring tools, the feet. No more is the attackers chest further forward than the defenders bum. Just feet.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Introducing a fixed margin error would be better. Like defining a max distance between the last defender and the attacker to be considered offside to make things clear.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
You see lots of players wearing the gps trackers/heart rate monitors under their shirts. I don't know why each player doesn't simply wear a chip that determines their position on the field. That way, if they are closer to the goal when than at least two opposition chips, they are offside. It could then be completely automated – or if there was a review it would just be to 'rewind' until the ball is payed, and you woul dhave the location of every chip and could then dictate onside or offside.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
On the face of it, it seems like a terrible idea.

It will be interesting to see the impact but it may make football a bit more equitable - as in the teams that play high, typically the stronger teams, will concede more goals or will be forced to play deeper and the smaller teams that already play deep will remain relatively unimpacted.

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
Loads more goals probably, but still need to draw a line and potentially debate all that. The frame rate and automation is what the focus should be on. Computers can do such incredible things now they should have a system where the computer does a quick analysis and says yes or no.

Also, nightmare for defenders, they would have forward players out of site on their side, dangle a leg back and gone. Can only imagine more teams would start to defend with deeper to try manage it.

Measure off side on the boots only and improve the tech.

quadrant

This would make defending free kicks a nightmare. Five attacking players having a big advantage over their markers.
This is actually a really good point. I was mainly thinking in terms of through balls to strikers beating a high line, but this is much more impactful. Basically the attacker can start nearer to the goal than the defender. That's a huge advantage.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I'd like to see it trialled, it could make holding a high line harder and stop all modern coaches copying Peps system...

Pace would certainly be more valuable with the extra meter leeway in being off.

G3079

Supports
Nobody in particular
Seems like a pointless and possibly more detrimental than useful proposal to me.

Pointless, because it changes nothing about lines being drawn and VARs reviewing which body part of which player was where in the exact moment the ball was passed. The only thing that changes is where the lines are drawn.
His statement “That will sort it out and you will no longer have decisions about millimetres and a fraction of the attacker being in front of the defensive line.” sounds like a joke in that regard, because those millimetre decisions, the discussion if there this or that frame is the right one to use, if that part of a player is still on the line or not, those won't be gone at all. Neither will contentious VAR actions, or the absence of action being contentious.

Detrimental, because it encourages kick-and-rush hoofball by giving a huge advantage to the attacker and disincentivizes high lines and offsides traps, meaning that many teams will just react by playing way deeper and more defensive than they do now. That might well overall result in slower games with less goals.
I can also see diving being encouraged, because attackers get a huge advantage over the defenders in free kick situations under Wenger's proposed nonsense.

So what's actually the point of the proposal? How would it even improve the game? I don't see it. It is not like the game is, on average, slow or lacking goals. Last season's EPL had the highest average goals per game ever at 2.85, and this season went far above that even at 3.28 goals per game.
A true improvement would be consistent and faster VAR decisions, possibly even automated offside detection similar to goalline technology. But not this proposal.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Would it really add more goals? I think it would make defences play a lot deeper, I'm not sure

mctrials23

Would it really add more goals? I think it would make defences play a lot deeper, I'm not sure
Of course it won't. Defences will just have to sit far deeper or they will be torn to shreds on the counter. Think about how often players are offside but wouldn't be based on these new proposals. Think about how much difference it would make to have up to 1.5m running headstart on defenders. The only option for teams would be to sit far deeper to mitigate this. More boring games. Less goals.

I just cannot fathom how Wenger and co. have genuinely come to this idea.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Of course it won't. Defences will just have to sit far deeper or they will be torn to shreds on the counter. Think about how often players are offside but wouldn't be based on these new proposals. Think about how much difference it would make to have up to 1.5m running headstart on defenders. The only option for teams would be to sit far deeper to mitigate this. More boring games. Less goals.

I just cannot fathom how Wenger and co. have genuinely come to this idea.
So you destroy the main tactical plan of Pep and all the coaches that have followed him, which is pretty much all of them. They have to play high up or the system they use doesn't work at all.

I don't think anyone can say for sure how this change would work without it being trialed somewhere to see.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
So you destroy the main tactical plan of Pep and all the coaches that have followed him, which is pretty much all of them. They have to play high up or the system they use doesn't work at all.

I don't think anyone can say for sure how this change would work without it being trialed somewhere to see.
Introducing a rule across the entire sport to destroy the tactical plan of a single coach and his acolytes is simultaneously insane and the greatest compliment one could pay to said coach

ArtetasHair

Supports
Arsenal
Good idea. I'm tired of goals being disallowed because someone's pinkie is ahead of the line.

I don't understand this thinking. A pinkie being offside is still offside. Imagine doing this in cricket and not giving out because their bat was a mm on the line. Or snooker where the ball only slightly missed a red.

It's ridiculous. Offside is offside.

K Stand Knut

No its an awful idea. Football teams aren't stupid and if you can get what is potentially a 1.5m head start on defenders with this offside rule they will just defend deeper. If you can't play a high line without being absolutely ripped to pieces then teams won't play it. It would be so easy to stay onside.

As to it improving the "pinkie offside", of course it wouldn't. You are still drawing lines. You are still saying offside or onside. I don't know why this is so hard to understand. You can make up whatever arbitrary point you want but that is still a hard point that will be adhered to and some decisions will sit 1mm over that line and other will sit 1mm under that line. Christ, make it 2m if you want, there will still be offsides that are 2.01m offside.
It doesn’t change anything other than where the line will be drawn.
My immediate thoughts as well and I just can’t see past it.

A line is still drawn and there can still be minimal gaps but this MIGHT make it slightly better and easier to manage

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I don't understand this thinking. A pinkie being offside is still offside. Imagine doing this in cricket and not giving out because their bat was a mm on the line. Or snooker where the ball only slightly missed a red.

Agree with this, when does it begin and end if we start going this route? Oh only half his foot is offside?

The one somewhat objective rule in football shouldn’t be changed, however, the semi automatic offsides that happened at the World Cup would do the premier league a world of good.

RoyH1

You're just changing where the line is. Offside will still be offside. It's just the criteria that's being changed. Do you understand this thinking now?

Blood Mage

This would make weaker teams more nervous and encourage more of them to sit in a low block wouldn't it? Not sure it would necessarily make games more entertaining.

Sara125

Great. Count me in! The stitching on an attacker’s boot, and other such minor margins, being offside isn’t a “clear advantage”

vulmik

Shocking idea. If they're going to change it, go with the feet only. Not the rest of the body. Otherwise, bring in the automation that was so successfully used at thr World Cup. It's not that hard.

Abizzz

Linesmen brains will need rewiring if this goes ahead. Also theoretically the view of the linesmen could easily be blocked by another player of the attacking team that is onside himself. It doesn't solve anything either. You'll still be able to be off by 1mm... (yes top leagues have VAR but should the old rules still apply to everyone else!?).

Typical Wenger idea really at this point. Can't he just enjoy retirement?

Chipper

Adulterer.
To me that picture alone says this is a not a good idea.

To play devil's advocate would situations like that even happen? I doubt the defending team is going to try and hold the line in the same way if this was brought in. They'd be mindful that while the attacker is ahead of them, they can't be sure if he's ahead enough to be offside so the markers would all need to drop in.

More free kicks from a similar position on the pitch would be contested aerially with much fewer resulting in an offside. That could very much be seen as a good thing when it comes to free kicks.

I don't want it anyway, and at least some of it is because I'm used to what I'm used to and this would be a huge change.

We're also in a world where heading the ball is begininng to be seen as dangerous for long-term health. This would likely create more headers, as well as clashes of heads.

Detrimental, because it encourages kick-and-rush hoofball by giving a huge advantage to the attacker and disincentivizes high lines and offsides traps, meaning that many teams will just react by playing way deeper and more defensive than they do now. That might well overall result in slower games with less goals.
I can also see diving being encouraged, because attackers get a huge advantage over the defenders in free kick situations under Wenger's proposed nonsense.
I think that's how things would likely go too. Teams will stop playing for offside and offside traps are a 2-way street. Nobody thinks a team catching a player offside is exciting, although I suppose they can admire the coordination or how regimented a team is at stepping up in unison.

Offside traps fail too, and someone beating the trap can lead to big chances. If they're not looking to play offside, or least as nearly as much, then a particular type of chance from a long ball over the top or through-balls will be reduced in number.

There is a chance that with defences dropping deeper games could become more stretched and ultimately more end to end with players having more space to run into. In midfield areas in particular. Every game could be like United trying to defend counters under Ten Hag. :lol:

In some universe it could be more exciting but I don't know, could easily just be a slower game all round as you say and that would be my hunch too. Midfielders would have to learn to pace themseIves. Wouldn't like to see them take that gambleof bringing it in just in case it was detrimental to the spectacle.

Last edited:

Stan Jefferson

How would this fix the issue of knife edge decisions? There's still a knife edge you're just moving where it is. Not to mention the fact that whether there is daylight between two players depends as much on the angle you're observing from as it does the actual position of the two players.

glaspalast

Supports
Crystal Palace
Make the players wear a sensor belt and if they are offside if any bit if their belt is ahead of the defenders. Fitting players with a headmounted off/onside light probably a step too far thogh.