g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 732 51.7%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 685 48.3%

• Total voters

FujiVice

I know this word is over used, but that is genuinely a fecking embarrassment to any sporting franchise. Imagine anywhere else charging those prices and the stadium is pissing in rain? Those Glazers should never have been allowed to buy us.

Fts 74

I find it sad to see these pictures of OT doing the rounds, it should never have got to this the Glazers are an absolute disgrace.

RedDevilQuebecois

Beyond criminal. :mad:

I hate the Glazers so much that I would celebrate if I get news that they have been struck by lightning as some kind of divine punishment for everything they have done to us, to our stadium and to our club as a whole.

arnie_ni

I think it kinda depends on what the issue is. I don’t know about the construction of OT but it could be anything from a bit of a repair to the weatherproofing to a whole new roof. It will also depend on where the water is going when it gets in, and what further damage it has caused.
Looking at those pictures it sadly looks pretty catastrophic and probably isn’t an investment the club wants to make before a decision is made on whether to renovate or replace the stadium.
Bit of tin and a few nails it how I fixed the leak in my shed

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Lets hope we don’t do anything like this

Why not? That looks pretty sweet. The more hospitality and ‘game day experience’ we can cram into the new stadium the better it is for the club. If it’s a bit flash then so be it, we deserve the best after our 11 years in the wilderness!!

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Why not? That looks pretty sweet. The more hospitality and ‘game day experience’ we can cram into the new stadium the better it is for the club. If it’s a bit flash then so be it, we deserve the best after our 11 years in the wilderness!!
Come on mate. That's not football, that's a gala

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
The line from Colin Millar is more alarming than just the roof leaking.
Ay form of revamp is just papering over the cracks, when you compare OT with the most modern stadiums, it is just so outdated, FFS Arsenal even brew their own beer on site.

Nori-

As embarassing as these new videos/images of Old Trafford are they could be the catalyst to speed up plans for the new stadium.

Losing at home to an old rival, 8th in the league and a stadium that is the laughing stock of England. Not a good look for INEOS or SJR.

Last edited:

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
As embarassing as these new videos/images of Old Trafford are they could be the catalyst to speed up plans for the new stadium.

Losing at home to an old rival, 8th in the league and a stadium is the laughing stock of England. Not a good look for INEOS or SJR.
My only concern about a rebuild is it becoming "The Nike Stadium"

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Come on mate. That's not football, that's a gala

What about this kind of thing in the roof? As long as the hospitality doesn’t encroach on the match going fans then I’m all for it. If poncey tossers want to pay hundreds/thousands to visit the new stadium then that benefits the club. If that’s not you cup of tea, you can slum it on the terraces.

BestRed

I know this word is over used, but that is genuinely a fecking embarrassment to any sporting franchise. Imagine anywhere else charging those prices and the stadium is pissing in rain? Those Glazers should never have been allowed to buy us.
Just sums up their miserable tenure at the club seeing the stadium like that today. To drag this great club down to this level both on & off the pitch is an absolute fecking disgrace.

Hopefully recent developments are the start of them eventually fecking off & brighter days ahead.

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
I don't get why it's so hard to fix.
I spoke to a mate of mine who works on building steel framed structures, including the steel cladding.
He reckons the most likely reason is that the profile is no longer available, and would have to be specially made, which would be very expensive, on top of that there is the erection of all the safety stuff needed to get up there and work up there, it could mean having to re-do the whole roof.

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
Really ?
You can't just send a couple of blokes up there these days, you need proper safety equipment, edge protecton, and if the roof is as damaged as it appears to be, all the work will have to be done from crawler boards, and possibly can only be done when the ground is closed.

C'est Moi Cantona

Really ?
You can't just send a couple of blokes up there these days, you need proper safety equipment, edge protecton, and if the roof is as damaged as it appears to be, all the work will have to be done from crawler boards, and possibly can only be done when the ground is closed.
Tbf that doesn't sound that difficult when it comes to such a high profile stadium that produces massive revenue, and it's not like the issue has only just come up, they've had plenty of time to sort something.

cj_sparky

I don't get why it's so hard to fix.
The work needs 16-24 weeks if uninterrupted, it cannot be done during the season due to the loss of revenue and the obvious safety issues. It would also require negotiations with the Railway due to the need to use cranes etc.

FujiVice

Really ?
Its been like that since Lockdown. That's 4 years. I'm not expecting it to get done by the local counsel over night. But in 4 years? Its not hard.

Terrific Tangerine

Supports
Blackpool
Fixing a roof is not expensive for a business apparently worth a billion quid.

So what if that form isn't commercially available, make the bloody form tool , it'd probably cost half a million quid to have the form tools machined up.

fecking peanuts for a company, any company, with the finances of Man Utd.

The whole roof would then be re-covered, it's not even a big project. Every supermarket could cover it off once every ten years.

I've never been in a Tesco with a leaking roof.

I cant believe the small time excuses coming out on here, "we'd need cranes and there's a train track" , "the job needs too long" clubs build stands during the season, "think of the health and safety". Seems like no one's ever seen a big job, and a new roof is not a big job.

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
Tbf that doesn't sound that difficult when it comes to such a high profile stadium that produces massive revenue, and it's not like the issue has only just come up, they've had plenty of time to sort something.
It doesn't sound difficult, but things are often a lot more difficult than they look.
It could also partly be caused by an inherent design fault due to the pitch of the roof and it's design to allow the maximum amount of light onto the pitch.
I would also hazard a guess that at 20yrs old, it's nearing it's life expectancy.

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
Fixing a roof is not expensive for a business apparently worth a billion quid.

So what if that form isn't commercially available, make the bloody form tool , it'd probably cost half a million quid to have the form tools machined up.

fecking peanuts for a company, any company, with the finances of Man Utd.

The whole roof would then be re-covered, it's not even a big project. Every supermarket could cover it off once every ten years.

I've never been in a Tesco with a leaking roof.
I wouldn't say it's fecking peanuts.
To recover the whole roof would take around 6 months or more, costing match revenue, the hire of another stadium etc.
Last time we did that it nearly sent the club into liquidation, and there wont be any government war grants to help us out this time.

Personally I think it's better to put that kind of money into a new stadium, purposely designed instead of being a mis-match hotch-potch

Terrific Tangerine

Supports
Blackpool
I wouldn't say it's fecking peanuts.
To recover the whole roof would take around 6 months or more, costing match revenue, the hire of another stadium etc.
Last time we did that it nearly sent the club into liquidation, and there wont be any government war grants to help us out this time.

Personally I think it's better to put that kind of money into a new stadium, purposely designed instead of being a mis-match hotch-potch
It's not even a big job, if managed properly the effect on match day attendance would be negligible.

30 home games a year, maybe 35. Easily accommodated.

RedStarUnited

Saddest part for me is I don't think Fergy will be alive to see the renovated/rebuilt stadium. The building work alone is probably a 3 year job, add about 2 years to plan and finance it.