New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 670 49.9%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 673 50.1%

• Total voters

neon_badger

The land behind the stadium is huge, if you look at the diagram beneath where it says new stadium all those train lines are disused, the only active line is a double line that parallels the houses pulling away from the land, this land is accessed from the north west of the diagram via trafford Park which is an infrastructure designed for hgvs it would all fit perfectly as this would probably speed up the building process, the space it does lend itself to a new stadium and everything else required with the exception of good travel infrastructure, you would struggle to find a piece of land big enough anywhere else remotely close with the added bonus of its practically a blank canvas once the shipping containers are removed. If you look at the land that was used by Neville for Hotel Football it's remarkable what can be done. I'm not actually in support of building a new stadium, I prefer to keep what we have, i believe it is fixable.

decorativeed

The land behind the stadium is huge, if you look at the diagram beneath where it says new stadium all those train lines are disused, the only active line is a double line that parallels the houses pulling away from the land, this land is accessed from the north west of the diagram via trafford Park which is an infrastructure designed for hgvs it would all fit perfectly as this would probably speed up the building process, the space it does lend itself to a new stadium and everything else required with the exception of good travel infrastructure, you would struggle to find a piece of land big enough anywhere else remotely close with the added bonus of its practically a blank canvas once the shipping containers are removed. If you look at the land that was used by Neville for Hotel Football it's remarkable what can be done. I'm not actually in support of building a new stadium, I prefer to keep what we have, i believe it is fixable.
I'm not sure that's true. I think they are used by freight trains and that's why the containers are there in the first place.

neon_badger

I'm not sure that's true. I think they are used by freight trains and that's why the containers are there in the first place.
Yes that's correct, what I'm getting at is the old train network that was part of Trafford Park is no longer operational, the freight lines that run on this would become obsolete without the cargo yard as it no longer connects to the rest of the park, unless they serve another purpose or maybe its earmarked for something or protected

stevoc

See above
And can United build over the freight terminal?

Plus that footprint looks pretty small for a state of the art 80-90,000 seater stadium. Especially one that will allow each fan more room than the 75,000 seater OT currently does.

decorativeed

Yes that's correct, what I'm getting at is the old train network that was part of Trafford Park is no longer operational, the freight lines that run on this would become obsolete without the cargo yard as it no longer connects to the rest of the park, unless they serve another purpose or maybe its earmarked for something or protected
But it's now a terminus where the freight containers are unloaded from the trains and from there it's distributed by lorries, as far as I can see. Not sure whether the logistics of that means they have a long lease and it can't simply be taken over by the club at short notice.

neon_badger

But it's now a terminus where the freight containers are unloaded from the trains and from there it's distributed by lorries, as far as I can see. Not sure whether the logistics of that means they have a long lease and it can't simply be taken over by the club at short notice.
I honestly don't know, my only input is to say it's a huge piece of land, big enough for a stadium and more. In terms of leases etc who knows, in an earlier post I suggested utd bought the land to protect themselves from someone else buying it, this is probably all it is, it'll more than likely end up being swanky flats for twats like everywhere else.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I honestly don't know, my only input is to say it's a huge piece of land, big enough for a stadium and more. In terms of leases etc who knows, in an earlier post I suggested utd bought the land to protect themselves from someone else buying it, this is probably all it is, it'll more than likely end up being swanky flats for twats like everywhere else.
United bought the land for security purposes and knowing the Glazer's as something to make money out of, (which they do) the freight terminal has a lease that expires long after most of us in the CAF will be dead, there is zero chance of it going away

stevoc

United bought the land for security purposes and knowing the Glazer's as something to make money out of, (which they do) the freight terminal has a lease that expires long after most of us in the CAF will be dead, there is zero chance of it going away
I was interested so did a bit of digging into this, the lease is long indeed, it lasts until 2071. But interestingly it's seems like it's actually United that are leasing the land. If I'm reading the document below correctly then United don't even own the land. It's on page 55/56 of this document.

https://ir.manutd.com/~/media/Files/M/Manutd-IR/documents/2021-mu-plc-form-20-f.pdf

So if I'm right and the club are only leasing the land then I don’t think there'll be a multi billion pound stadium being built on part of it any time soon.

@UnitedSofa

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I was interested so did a bit of digging into this, the lease is long indeed, it lasts until 2071. But interestingly it's seems like it's actually United that are leasing the land. If I'm reading the document below correctly then United don't even own the land. It's on page 55/56 of this document.

https://ir.manutd.com/~/media/Files/M/Manutd-IR/documents/2021-mu-plc-form-20-f.pdf

So if I'm right and the club are only leasing the land then I don’t think there'll be a multi billion pound stadium being built on part of it any time soon.

@UnitedSofa
Some details on the land purchases/leases can be found here and here and here

stevoc

Some details on the land purchases/leases can be found here and here and here
Interesting, so I wonder why an official club document from 2021 says the land is only leased?

Also from the MEN:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/business/property/united-scoring-in-property-market-918142

Last year, Manchester United bought a lease on the Freight Terminal, paying a sum thought to be close to £11m. It was reported at the time that the purchase was to enable the club to control security along its perimeter, rather than for redevelopment.
https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/security-fears-prompt-man-utd-to-buy-industrial-estate/

The football club is offering joint venture owners MAT Transport and Davis Turner £10.7m for the 65-year lease on the Manchester International Freight Terminal at Trafford Park, which is just 400 yards away from the club.

The deal would represent an 8.4% yield on the property, which is currently let to tenants including DHL on leases of up to 60 years, while Man Utd will add to its £300m property portfolio by becoming a commercial landlord at MIFT.

Last edited:

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Careful, apparently this pragmatic view means you never go/have never been to the ground and don't know anything about the club's history. Someone from the newbies will be along any second to call you a muppet who wants the Qataris in.
You mean being a ST Holder since the 1980's won't cut it with all the newbies? ;-)

Yagami

Good post resistant
"Wembley of the North" the way it's phrased just makes me think of GOT

kundalini

I hope the government do not provide any of the funds for the redevelopment of Old Trafford. There are far more important things for them to be spending money on. United already waste an unreal amount on ridiculous salaries for very ordinary players and transfer fees that only make sense to Ten Hag and the person signing the cheque.

DanClancy

Was in the camp of redevelop OT but changed my mind, club will be able to generate a lot more money with a new stadium and I don't mean from ticket sales.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I hope the government do not provide any of the funds for the redevelopment of Old Trafford. There are far more important things for them to be spending money on. United already waste an unreal amount on ridiculous salaries for very ordinary players and transfer fees that only make sense to Ten Hag and the person signing the cheque.
Yeah I'd rather the government send the money overseas rather than invest in our own country.

RyRy11

Potentially building a new stadium and getting the government to help fund it? I'm dreaming

Jordi Cruyff 99

Old Trafford renovation. I couldn't care less about a fancy new stadium. Home is home. The memories and the feelings that come with it far exceed the superficial stuff that comes with a new stadium. But that's my fan perspective, which is worthless when we're talking about someone else's business.

whitbyviking

Yeah I'd rather the government send the money overseas rather than invest in our own country.
The post you responded to and answers of that ilk are just daft. The level of investment and job creation a redevelopment of OT could bring to Manchester and the region has the potential to far outweigh an initial capital contribution. Adding 10-20k to a matchday crowd would be a massive injection to local, and as a result more national, coffers.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
:houllier:

Marwood

The post you responded to and answers of that ilk are just daft. The level of investment and job creation a redevelopment of OT could bring to Manchester and the region has the potential to far outweigh an initial capital contribution. Adding 10-20k to a matchday crowd would be a massive injection to local, and as a result more national, coffers.
Whatever the benefits it should be for the extremely rich owners to fund their own expansion. Not taxpayers.

Bertie Wooster

Ideally, I'd have preferred to stay at Old Trafford and try to upgrade it sufficiently. Although terms like 'history and tradition' have developed negative connotations in most things English these days, it would still be ideal for me if any future success was achieved in the same ground as witnessed the Busby and Ferguson legacies. That's history and tradition to be proud of and it would be lovely to see continue for a long while yet.

However, I guess realism is that it's proving difficult / impossible to stay there and to build the kind of 'modern and impressive' stadium that other teams are doing and that we've fallen behind in that respect. So if it's decided that we do have to move then, as gets repeated often about Tottenham's new stadium, building one pretty much where the old one was helps keep the 'old feel' alive to some extent while also building something very modern and impressive.

So very sad to see if they do end up knocking down Old Trafford and building a new one, but if they can manage to build it very close by and it's up there with the other new elite grounds then I can understand why they'd choose that option and there'd hopefully be plenty of benefits to it long term - but an absolute huge negative that there's no going back from.

Last edited:

gfactor86

I previously was in favour of expanding OT. However, I went to the Spurs stadium last week and I have changed my mind. Its unbelievable what they have done there.

The stadium opens 3 hours before kick off, fans meet there get great food and drink inside stadium. They then meet in the stadium afterwards to drink more and enjoy the facilities. They've created a destination for fans to stay for hours and spend money. Everything about it is mindblowing.

We could create something bigger and better. The Spurs stadium is the blueprint.

Unam333

Ideally, I'd have preferred to stay at Old Trafford and try to upgrade it sufficiently. Although terms like 'history and tradition' have developed negative connotations in most things English these days, it would still be ideal for me if any future success was achieved in the same ground as witnessed the Busby and Ferguson legacies. That's history and tradition to be proud of and it would be lovely to see continue for a long while yet.

However, I guess realism is that it's proving difficult / impossible to stay there and to build the kind of 'modern and impressive' stadium that other teams are doing and that we've fallen behind in that respect. So if it's decided that we do have to move then, as gets repeated often about Tottenham's new stadium, building one pretty much where the old one was helps keep the 'old feel' alive to some extent while also building something very modern and impressive.

So very sad to see if they do end up knocking down Old Trafford and building a new one, but if they can manage to build it very close by and it's up there with the other new elite grounds then I can understand why they'd choose that option and there'd hopefully be plenty of benefits to it long term - but an absolute huge negative that there's no going back from.
Basically this. It's sad of course, but I voted for a new stadium and I still think a new stadium is the best way to move forward as a club as a whole.

Bwuk

I previously was in favour of expanding OT. However, I went to the Spurs stadium last week and I have changed my mind. Its unbelievable what they have done there.

The stadium opens 3 hours before kick off, fans meet there get great food and drink inside stadium. They then meet in the stadium afterwards to drink more and enjoy the facilities. They've created a destination for fans to stay for hours and spend money. Everything about it is mindblowing.

We could create something bigger and better. The Spurs stadium is the blueprint.
I'd imagine this is exactly what we'll want to do.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Whatever the benefits it should be for the extremely rich owners to fund their own expansion. Not taxpayers.
In an ideal world you are correct, just out if interest - not being sarcastic - how many stadium developments have been funded solely by an owner/club? Is there precedence for it?

Red00012

:lol::rolleyes: