New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 670 49.9%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 673 50.1%

• Total voters

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
If they do it like Spurs/Bilbao/Benfica then I want credit even though it definitely wasn't my idea to begin with.

I'd like to think they browsed the caf at the exact points where I've suggested that.

RedRocket08

Barcelona obtained a decent interest rate for the context at the time (5.5% on average).
The big news is that a Turkish company was aiming to enter the Latin American market, and that made their offer brutally good. It would be negligent for Barcelona not to accept it.

Maybe some company wants to make a big offer in order to have the cache of having done the remodeling of Old Trafford.
That's still fairly high if we go by what we've been used to in the 2010s though - Honestly, if we are doing this with debt, I'd rather just park the stadium situation a little bit till we return to a low interest rate environment, and just focus on getting the club's (United's) existing debts to zero while investing a bit more in our first team/academy players? There's a bit of restructuring to do at the club as well - I think we employ a lot of people at United compared to the others, and some areas are overstaffed whereas some are understaffed. I'd rather do the stadium once we're really comfortable - OT still is a great stadium, even if we are behind some of the others currently.

Pughnichi

Surprised to see so many fans vote for a new stadium, maybe because of the continental fan base of the club less people have a connection with Old Trafford. I think we should be doing everything possible to stay at Old Trafford.

I would like to see a renovation of Old Trafford, in a similar vein to Anfield, the Nou Camp or the Bernabau. There is no need to knock it down. Renovate each stand, one at a time to avoid having to stage matches elsewhere. Build over the railway - even build a train station for the staidum.

This club has been slowly gutted by the Glazers over the last 15 years, with a little bit of its soul cut away every year. More and more it is becoming a soulless corporate franchise, which has hollowed out Matt Busby's club and is now masquerading around with its badge and its name churning a dividend and a ridiculous capital gain for its overlords whilst the football gets worse and the infrastructure is left to rot. When we start playing in the Manchester United-Ineos partnership community stadium sponsored by Huwawei, that process will be complete and we will rue the great thing we've lost.
It didn’t feel soulless lifting the Champions League in 2008. I understand the attachment to the stadium, but ultimately if the club can get it right on the pitch and start winning in Europe and at home again, the stadium becomes less of an issue. I’m local to the stadium. Work literally nxt door to it and would have a preference for a new stadium.

for me it’s all part of the package. Invite the nxt generational talent for a nosey around and if he sees elite training facilities and stadium it will have some impact on a decision.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
I watched the Superbowl the other night, good game. It got me thinking of why the Glazers never at any stage bothered to get the Buccaneers to play tests at Old Trafford, that would have been a sure money spinner for them. Surely the NFL/Glazer link is something that Sir Jim needs to take advantage of in building new stadium. Levy got the NFL included at Spurs and surely the Glazers have much better connections with the NFL than Levy. One job Avram and Joel, you have one job !!

MarylandMUFan

I watched the Superbowl the other night, good game. It got me thinking of why the Glazers never at any stage bothered to get the Buccaneers to play tests at Old Trafford, that would have been a sure money spinner for them. Surely the NFL/Glazer link is something that Sir Jim needs to take advantage of in building new stadium. Levy got the NFL included at Spurs and surely the Glazers have much better connections with the NFL than Levy. One job Avram and Joel, you have one job !!
With the way the pitch falls off at the ends, I don't think OT is large enough for NFL game. You need 120 yards of playing surface plus some safety room beyond that and I think OT is only 116 yards with no real room to expand.

JonesyUk

Went to the ground for the first time in a few years recently. Really don't see what all this fuss is about. It's a bit industrial when compared to the shinyness and gloss of the new bowls, but what does that matter when you reach the pitch side itself. Sitting in the South stand facing the North it still looks pretty spectacular.

Also went to Wembley a year back. Nice place, lots of space, bars, etc, but not a patch on a proper football ground like OT.

Yes, you can't live in the past, but the spirit of the club is about its history. If we don't maintain that, we may as well change our strip to blue and call ourselves City.

Reactions: jojojo

MyBloodIsRed

Unbelievable.... The dragon has awakened... I bet our rivals are shitting themselves... United was in a slumber... a coma.... and now we are coming back and FAST. :-) LETS GO!!!!

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
brand new stadium stands and infrastructure sorely needed just call the new stadium Old Trafford on the same site after all.

Clinging onto the past will leave us there. The sentiment of the Busby babes and the United spirit is bigger and everlasting than bricks and mortar.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
New stadium, turn the old south stand into a big feck off museum and strip club. Job done.

It didn’t feel soulless lifting the Champions League in 2008. I understand the attachment to the stadium, but ultimately if the club can get it right on the pitch and start winning in Europe and at home again, the stadium becomes less of an issue. I’m local to the stadium. Work literally nxt door to it and would have a preference for a new stadium.

for me it’s all part of the package. Invite the nxt generational talent for a nosey around and if he sees elite training facilities and stadium it will have some impact on a decision.
I agree. If you're relying on a a building to provide the soul of a club on matchdays then you've got a huge problem. The fans are the soul of the club. They're the ones who will shape what the new stadium is over the years. And it's Manchester ffs, Northern soul still swaggers it's way through the turnstiles every week.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
This has been in the making for nearly two years and has had little input from the club. Will likely need to be completely revised once the club start thinking properly about development across the campus and wider area.

Teja

Well - I for one feel silly for doubting the guy. Everything that happened after he took over is magic. Let's see results on the pitch now.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Hadn’t even thought of the dugouts and how iconic they are. They have to be replicated in any stadium new or refurb. And for me, the new stadium has to echo the old brick throughout.
The brick dugouts are not that iconic, they've only been around for what, 25-30 years or so

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Went to the ground for the first time in a few years recently. Really don't see what all this fuss is about. It's a bit industrial when compared to the shinyness and gloss of the new bowls, but what does that matter when you reach the pitch side itself. Sitting in the South stand facing the North it still looks pretty spectacular.

Also went to Wembley a year back. Nice place, lots of space, bars, etc, but not a patch on a proper football ground like OT.

Yes, you can't live in the past, but the spirit of the club is about its history. If we don't maintain that, we may as well change our strip to blue and call ourselves City.
I get the point you're making but it's not just a fan thing, especially these days. It needs to make financial sense to keep it up and running which I can only imagine has continued to creep up in costs quite drastically.

Along with it, and perhaps more importantly, every major club has gone through stadium revamps more recently than United it seems, or at least a large majority of them. We've all seen some of the comments from players new and old that United's facilities haven't kept up with other clubs in that regard. Ronnie is still a dick for agreeing to the interview with that prick Morgan, but at least the criticism on that probably resonated with many detractors as well. I remember LvG being surprised by some lack of technology etc when he arrived.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I still don't get it, all the drawings I see of a new stadium next to the old show them both to have the same size footprint. Surely the new should be much bigger, in which case it wouldn't fit in the plot?

I've tried to find how big the Spurs one is in terms of metres long and wide compared to Old Trafford but it's not an easy search, for me anyway. And then I would hope our new stadium would be considerably longer and wider than that, for a 90,000+ capacity, ideally bigger than Wembley, just because I want it to be.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I still don't get it, all the drawings I see of a new stadium next to the old show them both to have the same size footprint. Surely the new should be much bigger, in which case it wouldn't fit in the plot?

I've tried to find how big the Spurs one is in terms of metres long and wide compared to Old Trafford but it's not an easy search, for me anyway. And then I would hope our new stadium would be considerably longer and wider than that, for a 90,000+ capacity, ideally bigger than Wembley, just because I want it to be.
Drawings are just drawings - there are multiple ways to increase capacity without increasing the overall footprint, a lot depends on the land suitability, water table depth, that will determine what can and can't be built

Frank Grimes

One of our stands (Sir Bobby Charlton) can't be built up because of proximity to the rail track. Imagine building up that another tier or two.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Drawings are just drawings - there are multiple ways to increase capacity without increasing the overall footprint, a lot depends on the land suitability, water table depth, that will determine what can and can't be built
That's why I would like to know the footprint size of other state-of-the-art stadiums compared to the our available space.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
One of our stands (Sir Bobby Charlton) can't be built up because of proximity to the rail track. Imagine building up that another tier or two.
Indeed, but that would require a slightly larger footprint than shown, that's why they would need to build over the track in the first place. And then you would be left with the cramped lack of space beneath the stands that we currently have, for all the dining, meeting and drinking areas that a modern stadium should have.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
That's why I would like to know the footprint size of other state-of-the-art stadiums compared to the our available space.
The links are to the satellite view in Google maps with the scale the same as far as I can tell, if this is accurtae then the current OT footprint is way smaller!

Old Trafford
Tottenham Stadium

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
The links are to the satellite view in Google maps with the scale the same as far as I can tell, if this is accurtae then the current OT footprint is way smaller!

Old Trafford
Tottenham Stadium
That's what is confusing me. I've never been to the new Spurs stadium but looking at the Wiki entry it is brilliant and what we should be aiming for as a minimum standard. Except it is only two thirds the capacity of what we want, so I would expect to need a lot more space.

However clever the architects are. I wonder how big Everton's is, I guess they won't need anything like the corporate and entertaining stuff we do but it would be a guide.

MRD

Wanting to knock a stadium down because we've had a few bad defeats there is a madness.

Just redevelop what we have. New south stand, new roof, new facade, new seats, update the concourses with state of the art technology.

That way you can do it one stand at a time and reduce the impact. No way should the stadium be anywhere other than where it is now.

I'd only have a new stadium if it was a massive video orb like that one in Vegas.
You nailed it.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
That's what is confusing me. I've never been to the new Spurs stadium but looking at the Wiki entry it is brilliant and what we should be aiming for as a minimum standard. Except it is only two thirds the capacity of what we want, so I would expect to need a lot more space.

However clever the architects are. I wonder how big Everton's is, I guess they won't need anything like the corporate and entertaining stuff we do but it would be a guide.
I haven't either but I watched a Youtube video and it looks impressive, I used to live a few miles from there and it shows what can be done, video is a bit OTT in parts but worth watching

Frank Grimes

Indeed, but that would require a slightly larger footprint than shown, that's why they would need to build over the track in the first place. And then you would be left with the cramped lack of space beneath the stands that we currently have, for all the dining, meeting and drinking areas that a modern stadium should have.
Modern stadiums have steeper drops, it wouldn't necesarily require a bigger footprint to achieve 90k. I was more giving a general idea, it probably won't be the exact same size anyway and the important thing is we have plenty of room to build.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Modern stadiums have steeper drops, it wouldn't necesarily require a bigger footprint to achieve 90k. I was more giving a general idea, it probably won't be the exact same size anyway and the important thing is we have plenty of room to build.
What does 'wouldn't necessarily' mean? I want an example of a modern state of the art stadium with a greater capacity than we have now that would fit.

Ok I'm being totally lazy in not researching it properly myself but in my defence it's the caf that's made me this way. Pick any subject under the sun from medicine to artificial intelligence to archaeology and you can bet several people will come on that genuinely know their stuff and I read their opinions in awe. Football stadiums, not a chance, we seem to know feck-all about them.

fergies coat

What does 'wouldn't necessarily' mean? I want an example of a modern state of the art stadium with a greater capacity than we have now that would fit.

Ok I'm being totally lazy in not researching it properly myself but in my defence it's the caf that's made me this way. Pick any subject under the sun from medicine to artificial intelligence to archaeology and you can bet several people will come on that genuinely know their stuff and I read their opinions in awe. Football stadiums, not a chance, we seem to know feck-all about them.
Don't know If this is any help?

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Don't know If this is any help?
Thank you. I suppose we should be looking for something Wembley size, but actually a bit bigger to get all the pre-match, post-match and year-round stuff that more modern stadiums have. Seems odd saying Wembley isn't modern but that's the way things are going.

So it looks possible by building on the Stretty end while the rest is still in use, and maybe pinching a slice off the marshalling yards as well. Here's hoping.

Dazzmondo

Building a new stadium obviously seems to be the best option from a logistical and financial pov. I'm not interested in causing more problems for ourselves down the line just due to this romantic notion of keeping the old stadium when it doesn't make sense. Ratcliffe and INEOS seem to be putting feelers out to slowly get fans used to the idea of a new stadium because they know it's what we should ideally do to move forward.

We are perhaps the go-to example of a club that's stuck in the past, with outdated facilities everywhere. As long as the new stadium is still in the Old Trafford area, we should be looking to move forward and innovate.

Also, I'll give an apology to Ratcliffe and INEOS. I really didn't expect so much positive commitment to improving the club in such a short time. Very excited to see our progress next season.

RedRocket9908

Before they even think about breaking ground for a new stadium Sir Jim and his team need to address the outstanding debt as we simply cant afford to buuld a new stadium when we are already carrying £1bn worth of debt.

Frank Grimes

Chill out. We have ample room to build a stadium and it will be done. Not sure why you're getting so stressed about it.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Old Trafford has loads of dining/meeting/exec areas.

The other thing it probably lacks is better drinking areas for the "average" matchgoing fan. The club would make a small fortune if they essentially built a couple of pubs on the site given the lack of decent boozers within walking distance now.

On a wider point, my main concern about the new stadium is the cost. The money we'll spend building/Revamping the ground is probably gonna mean a huge bump in ticket prices. If hardly seems to have been mentioned on here but I fear it will absolutely destroy any remaining atmosphere at the ground if so many regulars of 20/30/40 years can no longer afford to go.

brontelicious

I'd tolerate a new stadium if it was in the same location and not based on other stadium's design

would love a single tier stretford end with a prominent standing section

all talk of a 'Northern Wembley' is disappointing. not been to actual Wembley, but nine tenths of people I speak to confirm it is a soulless dome with minimal atmosphere. local area includes investment in Nachos, Carluccios and chain pubs.

Hardly the world class food poisoning we already serve, is it?