New Zealand Volcano: At least eight dead after White Island eruption

Heardy

Surprised this thread is as quiet as it is!

I always thought these things were somewhat predictable. Surely an eruption like that doesn’t come with zero warning?

stupid question but what is it that has likely killed people? Smoke/fume inhalation? I’ve not seen footage but I’m assuming that’s what it is?

although seeing the size of the cloud, falling debris from 100s ft up probably didn’t help

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Absolute nightmare situation that. There is no way you survive that.
What makes you say that?

Only asking as I’ve been there and it looked a lot like the photos. It’s not as if the whole side of the cone went this time.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What makes you say that?

Only asking as I’ve been there and it looked a lot like the photos. It’s not as if the whole side of the cone went this time.
Read more about what actually happens during an eruption. It's very scary. Not survivable if you are anywhere near to it.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I always thought these things were somewhat predictable. Surely an eruption like that doesn’t come with zero warning?
I read that the scientists who measure these things said that the volcano was close to eruption, and that it was now too dangerous for them to risk going on the island to do further close measurements. Somehow tourists were still allowed on it, though. Someone is going to lose their job over this, if not go to prison.

nimic

something nice
Scout
What makes you say that?

If you're close to the crater, you're immediately done. If you're further out, you're still going to be in trouble from all the heat and ash and gases. There's a reason 5 out of the 18 (IIRC) who were evacuated from the island died. Those who weren't evacuated were dead fairly quickly, I reckon.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
stupid question but what is it that has likely killed people? Smoke/fume inhalation? I’ve not seen footage but I’m assuming that’s what it is?
One clip showed some helicopters that had been destroyed (not necessarily out of the air, probably parked), so I'm assuming there were some early blasts that did harm.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I read that the scientists who measure these things said that the volcano was close to eruption, and that it was now too dangerous for them to risk going on the island to do further close measurements. Somehow tourists were still allowed on it, though. Someone is going to lose their job over this, if not go to prison.
It’s constantly coughing and spluttering. It’s cultural name is (almost literally) ‘Dramatic Volcano’.

You can do all manner of dangerous shit in New Zealand. When I lived there I went up volcanos, jumped off waterfalls, rented boats I had no clue how to use. It’s just different.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
One clip showed some helicopters that had been destroyed (not necessarily out of the air, probably parked), so I'm assuming there were some early blasts that did harm.
These eruptions are made up of chunks of rock, ash and gas. They move a a fantastic rate of speed and the shockwave itself does a lot of damage.

nimic

something nice
Scout
It’s constantly coughing and spluttering. It’s cultural name is (almost literally) ‘Dramatic Volcano’.

You can do all manner of dangerous shit in New Zealand. When I lived there I went up volcanos, jumped off waterfalls, rented boats I had no clue how to use. It’s just different.
Fair enough, but this time it killed 20+ people.

UnrelatedPsuedo

NZ Police saying 8 missing, is that pretty much them dead or is there anyway they could have survived?
Highly likely to have perished.

On the small chance they made it to water, I doubt they’d have made it overnight

nimic

something nice
Scout
I don’t know what you’re saying Nimic.

They signed waivers. They went on to a live volcano.

It’s a tragic accident.
I'm saying "they signed waivers" might be relevant for the criminal aspect of it, but not the "good, sustainable idea" aspect of two dozen dead tourists. How well were they aware of the danger? Getting a tourist to sign a waiver probably isn't very difficult.

nimic

something nice
Scout
According to The BBC article yeah. 34 people rescued, 31 still in hospital.
Oh, that's a lot more rescued than they said earlier too. It was only 18 or something rescued, and then they said whoever was on the island was probably dead. I must have missed the others being rescued. Norwegian media is covering this surprisingly little, considering we're talking about a volcano killing western tourists in a western country.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I'm saying "they signed waivers" might be relevant for the criminal aspect of it, but not the "good, sustainable idea" aspect of two dozen dead tourists. How well were they aware of the danger? Getting a tourist to sign a waiver probably isn't very difficult.
They were on a volcano mate. It billows smoke all the time. It goes pop pretty often. It’s not England.

It’s an absolute tragedy but we can leave it there. No need to go on some bonkers crusade to bring criminal proceedings when you know nothing about the culture, volcano, tour company, town.

nimic

something nice
Scout
They were on a volcano mate. It billows smoke all the time. It goes pop pretty often. It’s not England.

It’s an absolute tragedy but we can leave it there. No need to go on some bonkers crusade to bring criminal proceedings when you know nothing about the culture, volcano, tour company, town.
A bit defensive, aren't we? I don't think I'm challenging the honour of all of fair New Zealand, but sure seems like you're taking it that way.

UnrelatedPsuedo

A bit defensive, aren't we? I don't think I'm challenging the honour of all of fair New Zealand, but sure seems like you're taking it that way.
Well people died and you’re pissing on about someone losing their job or getting in trouble.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

I remember watching this years ago. Gives you a little taste of the power of these things.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Have you seen a video of the eruption? I didn’t know one existed?
Bunch of footage of eruptions. Bunch of volcanoes in Iceland and we've got footage going back almost 100 years. Surtsey, a literal birth of an island, was capture on film in 1963.

A lot of hearsay and false information in this thread.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Zero sympathy with the casualties.
That’s rough. It’s not like the tourists knew they were going to a volcano that was about to erupt. They would have thought, logically, that it must be safe if they were allowed to visit.
Supposedly volcanologists had warned of an imminent eruption so the tour company should have postponed any trips onto the island.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Surprised this thread is as quiet as it is!

although seeing the size of the cloud, falling debris from 100s ft up probably didn’t help
Those at the site? Everything