New Zealand Volcano: At least eight dead after White Island eruption

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Bunch of footage of eruptions. Bunch of volcanoes in Iceland and we've got footage going back almost 100 years. Surtsey, a literal birth of an island, was capture on film in 1963.

A lot of hearsay and false information in this thread.
No hearsay or false information from me.

I have been there, and have seen it ‘erupt’.

I asked Balak if he’d seen video of THIS eruption, as I haven’t. Aside from the Gif from a satellite. It was a pretty standard cough for that Volcano. If that’s what it was, people could have survived.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
They were on a volcano mate. It billows smoke all the time. It goes pop pretty often. It’s not England.

It’s an absolute tragedy but we can leave it there. No need to go on some bonkers crusade to bring criminal proceedings when you know nothing about the culture, volcano, tour company, town.
You’re speaking like a gap year student that gets a one year visa and suddenly knows everything about a country. The PM of New Zealand has came out and said that there needs to be some sort of investigation, whether it is criminal or otherwise.

The fact is that the people who were tourists were not all people from NZ. As a tour guide you have a responsibility for your tourists and despite the waiver form being there it does pose the question whether there is a certain level of activity of a volcano which should be deemed non- tourable.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
You’re speaking like a gap year student that gets a one year visa and suddenly knows everything about a country. The PM of New Zealand has came out and said that there needs to be some sort of investigation, whether it is criminal or otherwise.

The fact is that the people who were tourists were not all people from NZ. As a tour guide you have a responsibility for your tourists and despite the waiver form being there it does pose the question whether there is a certain level of activity of a volcano which should be deemed non- tourable.
I've read that the alert level was raised a few days prior, but that ultimately the decision as to whether to allow tourists to visit lies with the operators, which seems odd to me. You'd have thought there'd be some Federal Level responsibility (though perhaps there is, this is just what I've read on BBC News so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, NZ police have already opened a criminal case.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I've read that the alert level was raised a few days prior, but that ultimately the decision as to whether to allow tourists to visit lies with the operators, which seems odd to me. You'd have thought there'd be some Federal Level responsibility (though perhaps there is, this is just what I've read on BBC News so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, NZ police have already opened a criminal case.
I think they have changed their mind on that for now.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I think they have changed their mind on that for now.
Ah yes you're right. Apologies.

New Zealand Police have corrected an earlier statement - and now say there may not be a criminal investigation into the White Island volcano eruption.

The new statement said: "Police can also confirm we have commenced an investigation into the circumstances of the deaths and injuries on Whakaari / White Island.

"The terms of reference will be developed in the coming days.

"At this time police is investigating the death of the individuals on Whakaari / White Island on behalf of the coroner.

"To correct an earlier statement, it is too early to confirm whether there will also be a criminal investigation."

UnrelatedPsuedo

Lived there for 7 years
Married to a Kiwi
Go back yearly
Friends live in the town that the tour company operates from
Been to the Site on a tour
Taken a private boat out there.

But sure.... Gap year goals.... invent your own narrative rather than question.

It was a tragic accident at an often dangerous site. That’s the factual situation right now. There is no criminal investigation and there will not be a single conviction in this case.

You, and others like you are clearly armed with less information, but you’re still spouting nonsense as if you’re an expert. You’re not.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Lived there for 7 years
Married to a Kiwi
Go back yearly

It was a tragic accident at an often dangerous site. That’s the factual situation right now. There is no criminal investigation and there will not be a single conviction in this case.

You, and others like you are clearly armed with less information, but you’re still spouting nonsense as if you’re an expert. You’re not.
There is nothing wrong with questioning the responsibilities of tour operators in the wake of a tragedy like this, whether you've ever been to New Zealand or not. The fact that a volcano "billows smoke all the time" and that a waiver gets signed doesn't change the fact that certain safety measures should be taken into account.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Plus I am sure I read yesterday somewhere that over the last few days there had been warnings of an increased chance of activity.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Plus I am sure I read yesterday somewhere that over the last few days there had been warnings of an increased chance of activity.
The Guardian said:
In November, the volcanic alert for Whakaari was raised to two out of a possible five, indicating increased activity; after the eruption, the alert level increased to four. Those alerts are issued by scientists at the geological agency GeoNet, who said in a 3 December report that the island was experiencing “moderate volcanic activity”. There was “substantial gas, steam and mud bursts observed at the vent located at the back of the crater lake”, the bulletin said.
But while scientists in New Zealand are responsible for publicising relevant information about volcanoes, they do not have control over what tourism operators do with it.

UnrelatedPsuedo

There is nothing wrong with questioning the responsibilities of tour operators in the wake of a tragedy like this, whether you've ever been to New Zealand or not. The fact that a volcano "billows smoke all the time" and that a waiver gets signed doesn't change the fact that certain safety measures should be taken into account.
I didn’t do any of that. I just have a massive point of objection to people that have no idea about anything, jumping to talk about criminal matters. It’s irresponsible and wrong.

Again... It. Was. An. Accident.

Everyone seems to have it in their head that this is your typical Magma fuelled volcano. It’s not. It puffs out gas and ash pretty frequently, these gases are unpredictable. There isn’t a huge lead time. The risk level went from 1, to 2 in the run up to the accident. But they’ve had eruptions when the level has been 1. It is a very unpredictable Volcano. The only constant is the fact it’s constantly active. Which is why people go.

UnrelatedPsuedo

The last time it significantly erupted, the Threat level was at 1. Its unpredictable.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Again... It. Was. An. Accident.
I've seen you say this a lot and of course people would've been aware that they took a risk by going to an active volcano, but they still should've been able to make an informed decision about whether they wanted to join or not. If any tour operator withholds critical information to its participants, especially about safety concerns, it needs to be looked at regardless of whether it was an accident or not.

Obviously no one should jump to conclusions. Volcanoes are extremely unpredicatble, and I'm not saying it's the case here, but if for example a tour operator knows beforehand that it's too dangerous to let people near a volcano based on the information they have available yet they don't tell their clients anything about it, they should be held accountable for that. Again, definitely not saying that it's the case here.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
No hearsay or false information from me.

I have been there, and have seen it ‘erupt’.

I asked Balak if he’d seen video of THIS eruption, as I haven’t. Aside from the Gif from a satellite. It was a pretty standard cough for that Volcano. If that’s what it was, people could have survived.
Dude most of the people who managed to be far enough away from the blast to get rescued have suffered horrific burns - some over 35% of their body and most likely not survivable - anybody closer to the eruption than those people are dead unfortunately.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I've seen you say this a lot and of course people would've been aware that they took a risk by going to an active volcano, but they still should've been able to make an informed decision about whether they wanted to join or not. If any tour operator withholds critical information to its participants, especially about safety concerns, it needs to be looked at regardless of whether it was an accident or not.

Obviously no one should jump to conclusions. Volcanoes are extremely unpredicatble, and I'm not saying it's the case here, but if for example a tour operator knows beforehand that it's too dangerous to let people near a volcano based on the information they have available yet they don't tell their clients anything about it, they should be held accountable for that. Again, definitely not saying that it's the case here.
You’re jumping to conclusions.

The tour advises of the current threat level. There’s a briefing.

The Volcano has erupted with the level at 1. It’s been stable (with larger gas emissions) at level 3. It erupted at level 2 this time.

People are making things up that are completely removed from the factual situation. It’s so wrong headed. I simply don’t understand that attitude.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Dude most of the people who managed to be far enough away from the blast to get rescued have suffered horrific burns - some over 35% of their body and most likely not survivable - anybody closer to the eruption than those people are dead unfortunately.
Aye. At the time of asking I thought you might have seen other footage that I’d missed.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You’re jumping to conclusions.

The tour advises of the current threat level. There’s a briefing.

The Volcano has erupted with the level at 1. It’s been stable (with larger gas emissions) at level 3. It erupted at level 2 this time.

People are making things up that are completely removed from the factual situation. It’s so wrong headed. I simply don’t understand that attitude.
I agree - lets be real here - if a tour guide honestly felt there was a risk of a volcano erupting while they and a bunch of tourists were on it they would not have gone ahead with it. Nobody in their right mind would go onto an active volcano that they thought was about to blow.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Aye. At the time of asking I thought you might have seen other footage that I’d missed.
No I havent but watching a video doesnt show the stuff that actually kills you - the gas, the heat and the shock blast. All you see is a massive amount of smoke and ash.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I agree - lets be real here - if a tour guide honestly felt there was a risk of a volcano erupting while they and a bunch of tourists were on it they would not have gone ahead with it. Nobody in their right mind would go onto an active volcano that they thought was about to blow.
You say that, but there are various accidents which could have been avoided in consideration to natural disasters. I went to a place called Antelope Canyon a few years ago and there have been cases in the past at this site where tour guides ignored flash flood warnings and took tours down and a bunch of tourists were killed while they (the tour guide) survived.

Lived there for 7 years
Married to a Kiwi
Go back yearly

I said that's what you sound like in your responses so far as you come across extremely defensive despite other people just discussing an issue and not going mental asking for criminal investigations.

As I said, the other fact you're ignoring is that the NZ PM herself said that some sort of investigation will be made. I'm not acting like an expert at all, I just have a bit of empathy for human lives and if there is a way to limit risk to it then I'm generally for that course of action.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Surprised this thread is as quiet as it is!

I always thought these things were somewhat predictable. Surely an eruption like that doesn’t come with zero warning?

stupid question but what is it that has likely killed people? Smoke/fume inhalation? I’ve not seen footage but I’m assuming that’s what it is?

although seeing the size of the cloud, falling debris from 100s ft up probably didn’t help
I mean the warning is quite evident; you take your life into your hands when you go into the crater of an active volanco, regardless of the period of inactivity. Eruptions can be predicted based upon the seismic activity, and whether there has been any deformation (ie Mt St Helens had a huge bulge before it blew) but in terms of a precise science, it's currently impossible to do. You can just guage the activity.

I'm currently studying to be a geologist/volcanologist and even I would think twice about going to an active crater of an explosive volanco. They might seem harmless enough and you can get away with effusive volcanoes like Kilauea but not stratovolcanoes. These are processes which are literally creating, bending and breaking rocks: what isn't dangerous about that?

UnrelatedPsuedo

You say that, but there are various accidents which could have been avoided in consideration to natural disasters. I went to a place called Antelope Canyon a few years ago and there have been cases in the past at this site where tour guides ignored flash flood warnings and took tours down and a bunch of tourists were killed while they (the tour guide) survived.

I said that's what you sound like in your responses so far as you come across extremely defensive despite other people just discussing an issue and not going mental asking for criminal investigations.

As I said, the other fact you're ignoring is that the NZ PM herself said that some sort of investigation will be made. I'm not acting like an expert at all, I just have a bit of empathy for human lives and if there is a way to limit risk to it then I'm generally for that course of action.
It’s not defensive. It’s common sense.

The same thing that sees Jacinder be so down to earth and awesome, is the same thing that sees NZ’s largest City be built on a Volcanic field, some of their Ski fields built on Volcanos, one of the best one day walks in the world go straight between 3 of them, and pretty much the whole Kiwi existence being based on ‘Be a good person, try not to be a dick’. The country has Earthquake, Volcano and Tsunami warnings featuring as a part of life. They have as much Bush-Fire risk as the likes of Australia and West-Coast USA. There are warnings to heed.

Again, with no evidence, people are pushing blame. Of course a PM is going to say an investigation will be made, but she has a deep rooted understanding of her country. I sure as hell don’t have her knowledge base, but I’ve got a lot more of an idea than most here.

Mine are not Gap-Year views. They’re ground level. If you choose to go to a volcano where they give a safety briefing, hand out hard hats and breathing apparatus, you know you’re not on safe ground. That’s baked in to the appeal of going.

Treating this with empathy and understanding it’s an accident is far more important to me than pretending that measures are not taken to protect people.

The whole reaction to this just pisses me off. I should probably back away a little, but I’m not out on a limb. Nor am I inventing things.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I mean the warning is quite evident; you take your life into your hands when you go into the crater of an active volanco, regardless of the period of inactivity. Eruptions can be predicted based upon the seismic activity, and whether there has been any deformation (ie Mt St Helens had a huge bulge before it blew) but in terms of a precise science, it's currently impossible to do. You can just guage the activity.

I'm currently studying to be a geologist/volcanologist and even I would think twice about going to an active crater of an explosive volanco. They might seem harmless enough and you can get away with effusive volcanoes like Kilauea but not stratovolcanoes. These are processes which are literally creating, bending and breaking rocks: what isn't dangerous about that?
Apparently, because this volcano has steam based eruptions they are much more difficult to predict.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
There are some incredible moments in time in which you will find yourself stuck for words as a situation you are witnessing is just totally breathtakingly indescribable, and yet some people still manage to come through with a poignant instant reflection, holy smokin' toledos, volcanoes bloody hell.

RIP to all the unlucky souls on that volcanoe and feck you to the dude who felt the need to express thay have no sympathy for the deaths of innocent tourists :)

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
These smaller volcanoes are incredibly hard to predict, an increase in activity doesn't always mean there will be an eruption, larger volcanoes do have an activity / eruption pattern that while not 100% do show a pattern. Yes it was a tragic accident but the fact tourists do seem totally blasé and walk into the active craters in shorts and flip flops knowing it could blow at any minute but simply have the mindset that "it wont happen to me". Very sad for those involved but to turn around now and try to point the finger of blame at anyone is a little too strong for me.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
So weird. We have someone saying "no sympathy with victims" and "meh just an accident".

Investigate the tour company thoroughly. If they were aware of the risks before hand, they should be punished.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
So weird. We have someone saying "no sympathy with victims" and "meh just an accident".

Investigate the tour company thoroughly. If they were aware of the risks before hand, they should be punished.
I mean there’s always an element of risk involved when going to a live volcano surely?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

Its a live volcano, I feel terrible for the tourists and the guides alike but its not like the risks aren't basic general knowledge, live volcanos are volatile.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Its a live volcano, I feel terrible for the tourists and the guides alike but its not like the risks aren't basic general knowledge, live volcanos are volatile.
I don't know anything about Volcanos and the risk associated. All I'm saying is an investigation is warranted and not "it's just an accident".

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
There's a big difference between "the volcano isn't dormant but what are the chances" and "there are signs that an eruption might be coming" though. I'm guessing/hoping that increased activity was mentioned (since it went from danger level 1 to 2), but that it was probably still almost impossible to (correctly) predict the moment of an eruption. Activity could decrease again or it could take weeks/months/even years before it erupted, volcanoes are unpredictable like that.

It's still something which needs to be examined imo, and one shouldn't hide behind arguments like "it was an accident, just move on" or "they knew what they were getting into". If it is indeed like many say it is, i.e. couldn't possibly be accurately predicted by anyone, no one should fear criminal prosecution or have to take responsibility. However, just as an example, I've read that there was a kind of container which was put there to offer shelter in case of an eruption, yet it was placed incorrectly or something like that. Surely things like that need to be investigated in the aftermath of this, without having to put blame on anyone or point the finger to the tour operator.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto

I know very little about geology, and apparently you're studying it, but is it really the right way to put it? My island is literally composed of three active volcanos. One of the craters is so active that we have plenty of hotsprings and cook food by burying it underground. On another island an eruption added a huge chunk of land to the island in the fifties, but no one died.

We have been here for 600 years and I don't think anyone ever died due to a volcano (the exception being someone who commmited suicide by jumping into a boiling water spring). Earthquakes have killed plenty of people throughout the centuries, but these are due to tectonic movements.

I doubt most people who visit Azores are even aware that this entire archipelago is composed of active volcanoes, let alone someone thinking they are risking their life by visiting.