Newbie Redcafe Cricket Draft Final- Aldoraine vs Zlatan_ish

Who'll win on the basis of First XI, Tactics and Composition?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
Please vote on the basis of the performances in the 90s.

Team AldoRaine18

Batting
The two openers are two of the most devastating ones the game has seen. Jayasuriya was constantly put against Sachin as the best batsman in 90s, and many regarded him equal or even higher. Then there is a great balance of solidity, technique and ability to play a long innings in the middle order. Following them is Chris Cairns, the perfect finisher to any ODI.

Bowling
Three all time greats combining to form my bowling attack. Ambrose, McGrath and Younis have everything there needs to be in an attack. Discipline, Fire, Aggression, Skill, Swing, Seam, Wickets, Yorkers, Bouncers, you name it. Ambrose and McGrath are capable of shutting down any attack, and Waqar is capable of running through it with his unplayable inswinging yorkers.

Opposition
While he has a great team, he is heavily reliant on the top order. Once they get out, there is no one to finish the innings well, or see the team home in case of a chase. He has Warne, but my middle order is comprising of great players of spin.

Team Zlatan_ish

Gilchrist
Sachin Tendulkar
Lara
Ponting
Thorpe
McMillan
Razzaq
Pollock
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Alan Donald​

Gilchrist:
Going in first or seventh, wearing whites or coloureds, Adam Gilchrist was the symbolic heart of Australia's steamrolling agenda and the most exhilarating cricketer of the modern age.

An astonishing strike rate of over 96 in 287 ODI and close to 10000 runs, he was simple one of the best ODI batsmen.

Sachin:
Perhaps the most complete batsman and the most worshipped cricketer in the world, Tendulkar holds just about every batting record worth owning in the game.
8000 runs with highest score of 186 and average of 43 in ODI in 90s.

Ponting:
Ricky Ponting, the most uncompromising player of his generation, grew into Australia's most successful run-maker and only sits below Bradman in the country's overall ratings. It takes an extremely critical eye to diminish his run-scoring achievements, which seem to collect new records in every series.

13000 runs in ODI with a strike rate of 80.

Lara:
One of the best batsman to ever grace this game. He had an average of over 50 in 93-98 and no batsman managed this in this time period.
No-one since Bradman has built massive scores as often and as fast as Lara in his pomp. Even his stance was thrilling - the bat raised high in the air, the weight poised on a bent front knee, the eyes low and level.

Thorpe:
During the winter of 2000, Graham Thorpe established himself as the most complete England batsman since the Gooch-Gower era, able to attack like Alec Stewart - against pace or spin - and to defend like Mike Atherton. He had begun as a brilliant counter-attacking left-hander who came off the ropes from the start of his innings to punch a quick 20 and seize the initiative, an invaluable trait.

McMillan:
McMillan impressed with both bat and ball. McMillan, a player who had been gifted international selection from the age of 21, began his career productively and in March 2001 he took a world record 26 runs off one Younis Khan over in a Test against Pakistan at Hamilton.

Razzaq:
Abdul Razzaq was once rapid enough to open the bowling and remains composed enough to bat anywhere, though he is discovering that the lower-order suits him nicely. His bowling - the reason he was first noticed - is characterised by a galloping approach, accuracy, and reverse-swing. But it is his batting that is more likely to win matches. He boasts a prodigious array of strokes and is particularly strong driving through cover and mid-off off both front and back foot. He has two gears: block or blast

Pollock
Hadlee-esque, line and length seamer that he had established himself with 393 wickets with an average of 24.50 and economy of 3.67. He was simply one of the best bowler and all rounders of our time.

Wasim Akram:
A dream cricketer. He had complete mastery over swing and seam, and sometimes moved the ball both ways in one delivery. All this came at high speed from a quick, ball-concealing action, and was backed up by the threat of a dangerous bouncer or deceptive slower delivery. Perhaps the best left-arm fast bowler of all time.

Shane Warne:
Warne was an extraordinary bowler. It can't really be said often enough. He will personify legbreak bowling for as long as the skill exists. If and when an outstanding new purveyor achieves note, the question will be: how does he compare with Warne?
A charismatic, spectacular performer .

Alan Donald:
No living South African player, past or present, commands as much respect from the public and his peers as Donald, the first bowler from his country to take 300 Test wickets. If the credit for South Africa's success in the modern era could be given to one player, that cricketer would be Allan Donald.

Strategy:
Batting
- Lara,Sachin, Gilly and Ponting are in different class.
- Great finishers down the bottom with Razzaq and Pollock. Even Akram could make blistering runs.
- Batting till 9th position with Akram being 9th who had a strike rate of 88 in ODIs

Bowling
- My fast bowling attack is better. Alan Donald, Pollock and Wasim Akram to start with then followed with Shane Warne..
- Shane Warne is probably the greatest spinner of all time
- I have perhaps the best left-arm fast bowler of all time, Wasim Akram. Strike rate of 36 and average of 23, he would form lethal combo with Alan Donald.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
For the final, it's a two day poll. Hope the contestants don't mind that.

Moby

Dick
For the final, it's a two day poll. Hope the contestants don't mind that.
No problems, its perfect.

As for the game, as great as Sachin is, we all know McGrath has had his number. He got him out a few times, in big games at that, and that could play against him here. And as mentioned before, your team is top heavy, and given that I have an outstanding trio of bowlers who will make it really difficult for you early on in the game, there is a chance of a few early wickets, and the lower order is just not good enough to follow up.

This is one of the greatest wicket taking moments I have seen.

Mani

Have seen enough shot from Lara against Pakistan.Lara is one of the finest batsmen of Fast bowling he has scored lot against Pakistan & Australia.

Mani

Ambrose/Mcgrath/Waqar as a pair look more appalling than Wasim/Donald/Pollock

zlatan_ish

juventino
Supports
La Vecchia Signora
Ambrose/Mcgrath/Waqar as a pair look more appalling than Wasim/Donald/Pollock
But Mani, I have shane warne also.

Ask yourself, if you have to choose bowling order of Ambrose/Mcgrath/Waqar/Kumble v/s Wasim Akram/Alan Donald/Pollock/Shane Warne

what would you pick?

Moby

Dick
In ODIs, both spinners are not easy to separate. Kumble's pace variations and discipline would help a lot in keeping the run rate down.

What is more important is that my top 5 are all amazing players of spin, and can easily cope with whatever is being thrown at them, while the same cannot be said about your team. Barring Sachin and Lara, everyone else is not as good as my batsmen against quality spin.

zlatan_ish

juventino
Supports
La Vecchia Signora
I don't agree regarding Sachiin V Mcgrath , Aldo
This is the first two vids of Sachin v Mcgrath

Sachin has taken number of Mcgrath several times:

and this one in Australia

and Sachin won't have pressure of scoring rate also with Gilly besides him.

zlatan_ish

juventino
Supports
La Vecchia Signora
In ODIs, both spinners are not easy to separate. Kumble's pace variations and discipline would help a lot in keeping the run rate down.

What is more important is that my top 5 are all amazing players of spin, and can easily cope with whatever is being thrown at them, while the same cannot be said about your team. Barring Sachin and Lara, everyone else is not as good as my batsmen against quality spin.
I agree but you only have 1 spinner in Kumble

and I would pick Saqlain or Shane Warne as the best spinners of 90s anyway.
Saqlain= offspinner
and Shane Warne= Leg spinner.

Moby

Dick
I agree but you only have 1 spinner in Kumble

and I would pick Saqlain or Shane Warne as the best spinners of 90s anyway.
Saqlain= offspinner
and Shane Warne= Leg spinner.
Not really, Jayasuriya is a wonderful ODI spinner, and was one of the toughest bowlers to score off in the middle overs. And in particular players who were not comfortable against spin struggled against him.

Him and Kumble in tandem after the three fast bowlers and Cairns is a better bowling attack overall, than yours.

Mani

But Mani, I have shane warne also.

Ask yourself, if you have to choose bowling order of Ambrose/Mcgrath/Waqar/Kumble v/s Wasim Akram/Alan Donald/Pollock/Shane Warne

what would you pick?
Ambrose/Mcgrath/Waqar more dangerous when they hunt in pairs

Wasim is my favorite fast bowler in the whole lot,he got everything in him.

Donald is great bowler of 90's

Waqar one of the best right arm swing bowler.

Warne > Kumble.

One way or the other bowling looks even on both side.

Mani

Warne is much much better than Kumble,When you take the success ratio on all playing condition,Warne top the list.

brewlio

A prince among poopers
I like the overall balance of Zlat's side. The inclusion of Warne is the big difference for me. He'd take wickets in any conditions on a strip that would do feck all for other bowlers.

Moby

Dick
:lol: He was not untouchable anywhere. He is skilled, probably more than any other spinner of his era, but its not like he cannot be countered. I present to you Navjot Singh Sidhu who smashed him brutally all around the park and he had no answer.

And we have seen over the years how the likes of Dravid have handled him really well. That is the point. I agree Kumble is not as good as Warne, but given the players, my batsmen are much more comfortable against Warne than his are against Kumble and Sanath.

Mani

You believe it or not Dravid is a poor one day batsmen of 90's, he never score runs at brisk pace.

Ganguly best was after 97 or so,IIRC his debut was in 93 and it took some 3-4 years to come back into the team.

Gilly/Sachin/Lara is a dream combo and its much superior than your front 3 of Ganguly/Sanath/Dravid.

Moby

Dick
Sanath was Sachin's biggest rival in the 90s, and it was to and fro. Speaks about his greatness. Ganguly is one of the best ODI openers of all time, and was a part of a lot of huge partnerships with Sachin.

Both Gilly and Ponting have short periods before 2000, and were at their peak after 2000.

zlatan_ish

juventino
Supports
La Vecchia Signora

They never hunted in pairs as they never played together, on the other hand have I have Alan Donald and Shaun Pollock who actually played together, compliment each other and formed a lethal combo in 90s.

I got your point, mani but I think you should consider this :) and combine this with Wasim Akram and Shane Warne.

Lowkey

ok...this is the final, gz to both teams! Although im not sure how Aldo made it this far if im being entirely honest. I will not vote till the last day so both teams can try to convince me that their team will win. My first impressions is that Zlatans team will win hands down. Why? He has a greater balance. Aldo, you have 5 no.11's in your team. Not 2 or 3 but 5. Boucher, Kumble, Ambrose, Mcgrath, Younis is a very flimsy tail. You will need to explain how you will be able to survive with such a long tail.

Batting line ups:-
Ganguly, Jayasuriya, Dravid, Inzamam, Chanderpaul

vs

Gilchrist, Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting, Thorpe​

The way i look at it...i see which batsmen would be my top 5 in an ODI match from the 10 and my top 5 would be Gilchrist, Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting, Inzamam. Again, Zlatan wins this match up fairly easily for me. Not to mention, Zlatans team can bat all the way down to 9-10 whereas Aldo has a very long tail.

Bowling line ups:-
Kumble, Ambrose, Younis, Mcgrath

vs

Pollock, Akram, Warne, Donald​

Two amazing bowling attacks here. Again if i was to pick my top 4 bowlers from both sides i would go with Younis, Mcgrath, Akram, Warne. Too close to call when it comes to the bowling. The only part from both line ups that i believe Aldo can challenge Zlatan in.

Depth:- Aldo has Cairns, a devastating allrounder with both bat and ball. Jayasurya can contribute with the ball aswell. Zlatan has Razzaq and Mcmillan as allrounders. Cairns probably is the best all rounder out of the 3 but Razzaq is very close. I think fielding is also an important aspect for an ODI side. I believe there is alot more agility and dynamic in Zlatans side whereas i see lots of lazy, poor fielders in Aldos team. There are lots of players that can only field at slip and will struggle in the outfield in a high tempo ODI game.

So ye, for me, there is only one winnner which is Zlatan. However, feel free to say im talking complete shite Aldo and tell me where im wrong etc etc I will vote on the last day so hopefully we can get some proper debate going.

Mani

Considering 90's on batting front

Ganguly< Gilchrist
Sanath < Sachin
Dravid < Lara

Inzy > Pointing
Chandrapaul = Thrope
Cairns > mcmillan

Boucher < Razzaq

Zaltan's batting line up got more depth infant Warne coming at 10 is not the bad hitter of the ball.

Moby

Dick
Considering 90's on batting front

Ganguly< Gilchrist
Sanath < Sachin
Dravid < Lara

Inzy > Pointing
Chandrapaul = Thrope
Cairns > mcmillan

Boucher < Razzaq

Zaltan's batting line up got more depth infant Warne coming at 10 is not the bad hitter of the ball.
How is Gilchrist better than Ganguly in the 90s?

Mani

They never hunted in pairs as they never played together, on the other hand have I have Alan Donald and Shaun Pollock who actually played together, compliment each other and formed a lethal combo in 90s.

I got your point, mani but I think you should consider this :) and combine this with Wasim Akram and Shane Warne.
I agree with that they never hunted in pairs,but when you considering this a real match situation.

I like to combine Wasim and Waqar.:)

zlatan_ish

juventino
Supports
La Vecchia Signora
I would think fast bowling of Alan Donald/Akram/Pollock would have number over Ganguly, Aldo.

Moby

Dick
Anyway, as I already said, with the big names in there, no one is going to look past Zlatan's team. It is quality, but Gilchrist and Ponting would never make my 90s ODI 11.

At the end, all I can repeat is that my team is suited to play well against his team. Top quality pace attack against a top heavy batting order, quality twin spin attack against a not so spin friendly middle order and top quality players of spin to cope his spinner.

Mani

Not voted yet.:)
Like to see both defend against each other.
All the best guys.

Moby

Dick
Just one last point in reply to Dravid being a shit ODI player. Tell me who was on the other end, holding his wicket, not slowing the run rate when Sachin made 141 in 99 WC, his highest ODI score 186 and when Ganguly made 183 against Sri Lanka.

You cannot have a team of 11 out and out stroke players. In Sanath and Ganguly, I have an opening pair which will and has hit everything out of the park, and hence the balance is provided by Dravid, who is followed by Inzi who was also a lofter of the ball.

And Inzi is being overlooked. Rewatch the 1992 World Cup to see his impact in that win, or many other performances when he has taken the team to match winning totals on his own.

Mani

Dravid is good test batsmen and a poor one day batsmen of 90's.In fact he struggled to keep his one day place during 90's.
Inzy has his best and worst of 92 world cup.
His best was during SF match against New zealand, that was one of the finest innings i had seen from Inzy.
He is a poor runner between the wickets,His run out against South Africa by Jonty is classic example.

Skills

Snitch
Sanath won't stick around for long if there's something for the pace bowlers on the wicket. Akram and Pollock's line and length will be far too good. I don't particularly rate him that highly - he averages 28 in the 90s with only 7 centuries. Gilly averages 33 and has 5 centuries in about 2/5th of the matches. Sanath's got a lot of runs because he's played a ridiculous amount of games.