Newcastle fan Michael Oliver is our ref tomorrow

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

How exactly is this allowed? Here’s some statements for you to apply some logic to.
  1. He’s already said he’s not allowed to ref this sort of fixture - Therefore he knows he should not be reffing this fixture
  2. He’s not declined the fixture despite the conflict of interest
  3. None of his bosses have recognised the conflict of interest
Why?

Siorac

It's absolutely bizarre. I have no idea how this can happen - imagine if a known Manchester City fan was allowed to referee an Arsenal game during the run-in.

Dorris

He’s always been a dogshit ref for us and by far the worst for marginal decisions not going our way. This kind of spotlight should work in our favour though, he won’t want to be seen as against us when this has been highlighted.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It's absolutely bizarre. I have no idea how this can happen - imagine if a known Manchester City fan was allowed to referee an Arsenal game during the run-in.
To be fair, there are only 3 "known" Man City fans and I don't think Liam, Noel or Ricky have the proper badges.

HookedOnAPhelan

He’s always been a dogshit ref for us and by far the worst for marginal decisions not going our way. This kind of spotlight should work in our favour though, he won’t want to be seen as against us when this has been highlighted.
None of them seem to give a feck about that tbf

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I think Taylor statistically has been proven to hold that title.

There is no real spotlight. It’s a few fan accounts talking about it plus me raising it on here.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
He is going to travel to Casemiros house after the match and give him a new red card for existing isnt he.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
To be fair, there are only 3 "known" Man City fans and I don't think Liam, Noel or Ricky have the proper badges.
To be even more fair, I dont think a lot of the PL refs have the proper badges either, they are clearly bought off Wish and it fooled everyone.

Mmm-Qatarian

It is bizarre, although I don't think Michael Oliver will referee the game differently because of who he supports.

I'm just glad it isn't fecking Taylor. At this point I dread having him referee our matches.

CM

This nobhead loves giving shit decisions against us anyway

dove

Yea, tomorrow is going to be a bad day for us, isn't it? First the obvious jinx thread from @Chief123 and now this :(

Jericho

I'm surprised he's prohibited from refereeing any games at all. I thought we were supposed to assume (pretend?) every ref was operating as a neutral.

Siorac

I wouldn't put it past either of them to, I don't know, drug the referee and sneak onto the pitch in his place.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
David Coote has a Man United tattoo and I’m pretty sure he’s still allowed to ref us

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It'll be fine - I tend to think this sort of thing is overblown with refs... ultimately it's his job and he'll do it as he normally would.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Both untrue, I don't know how some people just believe everything they read on the internet.
I don't believe you.

It'll be fine - I tend to think this sort of thing is overblown with refs... ultimately it's his job and he'll do it as he normally would.
Yep, only issue is he's generally a rubbish ref.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
As a professional he should be avoiding fixtures like this like the plague. He’s already quoted as saying he shouldn’t referee them and wouldn’t want to anyway because it’s not worth the hassle.

What if he makes a wrong call and costs he three points? What scrutiny will that bring?

Why if he knows this is he still going ahead reffing this fixture?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Both untrue, I don't know how some people just believe everything they read on the internet.
I concur with the other poster, I also do not believe you.

arnie_ni

Conflicted.

Refs need to be able to control bias and in theory who they support shouldn't come into it(if they can't they shouldn't be reffing any games) but it's been said he wasn't allowed to ref games with Newcastles potential relegation candidates and if that's the case it shouldn't be any different now they are fighting for top 4

stevoc

He normally fecks us over anyway so he'll call the game as he normally does.

Expect a red card.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
As a professional he should be avoiding fixtures like this like the plague. He’s already quoted as saying he shouldn’t referee them and wouldn’t want to anyway because it’s not worth the hassle.

What if he makes a wrong call and costs he three points? What scrutiny will that bring?

He'll make the wrong calls 'cos he's a crap ref, not because of any bias.

Maybe he realises now that he is far too professional to let something like that interfere with his officiating.

kps88

He's probably just exaggerating/being overly dramatic in those quotes.

Imagine if Newcastle were involved in this season's relegation battle, there's currently nine teams involved. You're telling me he wouldn't have been allowed to referee games involving nearly half the league for two months? Sounds like a logistical nightmare.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
The top picture is clearly fake, it says "gents" over his head.

Blood Mage

I think the concern is valid to be honest. Football support in this country is extremely tribal and passionate, some fans love the club they support more than their fecking dog. A Newcastle fan officiating a game involving one of Newcastle's top 4 rivals in what could be a transformative, historic season for Newcastle is bad news.

gajender

I think the concern is valid to be honest. Football support in this country is extremely tribal and passionate, some fans love the club they support more than their fecking dog. A Newcastle fan officiating a game involving one of Newcastle's top 4 rivals in what could be a transformative, historic season for Newcastle is bad news.
He is a professional and he won't be risking his job because he is a fan of certain team this thing is way overblown , more chances of being incompetent than biased to be honest .