Newcastle fan Michael Oliver is our ref tomorrow

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He is a professional and he won't be risking his job because he is a fan of certain team this thing is way overblown , more chances of being incompetent than biased to be honest .
I would certainly hope that he won't do it deliberately, but that doesn't mean that he won't subconsciously make some mistakes that favour our opposition in this kind of situation.

Castia

Good news is that this is getting enough traction online that he wont have the balls to give a dodgy decision against us

Will probably play in our favour

The Firestarter

He is a professional and he won't be risking his job because he is a fan of certain team this thing is way overblown , more chances of being incompetent than biased to be honest .
:lol: Refs are like a mafia, unless they make a factually obvious error everything else can go under "subjectivity". And nobody ever holds them accountable as to why their level of subjectivity changes from game to game. If the game is tight he can actually decide it.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ofcourse he will be biased, he is a human. If I get a chance to ref ManUtd game or teams that has impact on ManUtd standing, obviously I will be biased consciously or subconsciously.

spiriticon

As long as it's not Andre Marriner.

That red card will jump out his pocket on its own

gajender

Ofcourse he will be biased, he is a human. If I get a chance to ref ManUtd game or teams that has impact on ManUtd standing, obviously I will be biased consciously or subconsciously.
Just my opinion but it's not much of a factor as it actually could impact their Job I may be completely wrong .

Judas

Open to offers
This simply shouldn’t be happening. Yes he’s a professional and he may do his job properly, but there shouldn’t be even a teeny tiny bit of doubt. The FA is baffling.

Abraxas

Couldn't care less, we should be taking Everton to the cleaners at home. They're a poor side with little threat. It is rather strange looking though.

Yagami

Good post resistant
This might actually benefit us. With all the attention this is getting, he might go out of his way to show how impartial he is by being more lenient on us than a standard ref would.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Don't see the big deal here. If you think the majority of refs don't have a favorite team then you're being naive. I don't think it will be an issue tomorrow. Give me Michael Oliver over Anthony Taylor any day. Worst ref in the league.
So give us a ref who's an Aston Villa fan or something then. Why give us one with a vested interest in the outcome?

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
So give us a ref who's an Aston Villa fan or something then. Why give us one with a vested interest in the outcome?
I understand your point but I think that's an impossible job. If you switch every ref because of hypothetical outcomes due to biases then you would struggle to find a ref for every game. The simple reality is we have to trust the ref's professionalism. I don't think it will be an issue.

RedDevil@84

There is only a thin line between bias and incompetence and refs can easily make the mistakes they choose to make. PL level refs are not at risk in their jobs, unless they blatantly distort laws.
Clattenburg confessed he let Spurs players to have a go at Chelsea players, because he had a picture in his mind, how the game needs to be reffed.

There are way too many ways where refs can put out their bias (if they want), making it look like an honest mistake.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
You’d think the powers that be in the PL would do as much as possible to avoid any hint of impartiality.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I understand your point but I think that's an impossible job. If you switch every ref because of hypothetical outcomes due to biases then you would struggle to find a ref for every game. The simple reality is we have to trust the ref's professionalism. I don't think it will be an issue.
There is an interview posted in the first post, he himself said he won't be given Newcastle, Sunderland game or any game where outcome has direct impact on Newcastle. ManUtd and Newcastle are battling for top 4, its obvious why he shouldn't be given this game.

Crimson King

If you're a Premier League ref then you shouldn't be going to watch a specific PL club in your spare time, let alone paddling about in the fountains at Trafalgar Square before they play a cup final against another PL club at Wembley.

It's just not a good look whichever way you spin it. If he gives a soft decision our way tomorrow it'll be seen as him trying not to be bias because he supports Newcastle, and if he fecks us over with a decision it'll be the opposite.

He can't win. It's pretty ridiculous that the FA and PGMOL have allowed this to happen. He shouldn't be reffing any games involving the teams between 3rd and 6th for the remainder of the season, at the very least.

RedDevilRoshi

This might actually benefit us. With all the attention this is getting, he might go out of his way to show how impartial he is by being more lenient on us than a standard ref would.
When has this prick ever been lenient towards us?

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Don't see the big deal here. If you think the majority of refs don't have a favorite team then you're being naive. I don't think it will be an issue tomorrow. Give me Michael Oliver over Anthony Taylor any day. Worst ref in the league.
But it's not like a favourite team growing up. He's literally a match going Newcastle fan and was there at Wembley when we beat them six weeks ago. There's no way he can be impartial.

Oranges038

Can add Atwell and Pawson to that list too.

Yagami

Good post resistant
When has this prick ever been lenient towards us?
I don't think he ever has, but I also don't recall a time where his support of Newcastle has been brought up before refereeing one of our games due to us competing for European spots together. I think that might be in the back of his mind come tomorrow.

stevoc

How exactly would he be risking his job?

Refs in the PL make ludicrous calls all the time and face little or no consequences. He could give Everton a dodgy penalty tomorrow and/or us a harsh red card and the FA/Pgmol wouldn't even bat an eyelid.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
How exactly would he be risking his job?

Refs in the PL make ludicrous calls all the time and face little or no consequences. He could give Everton a dodgy penalty tomorrow and/or us a harsh red card and the FA/Pgmol wouldn't even bat an eyelid.
He doesn’t even need to give a red card or a penalty.

If he gives a yellow early doors to a couple of players in our midfield and defence and gives 60/40s in favour of Everton all game, then handles extra time in their favour it can be the difference.

stevoc

He doesn’t even need to give a red card or a penalty.

If he gives a yellow early doors to a couple of players in our midfield and defence and gives 60/40s in favour of Everton all game, then handles extra time in their favour it can be the difference.
Yep that's the usual flow of games where Oliver refs us. I was just giving an extreme example that Oliver would get away with tomorrow.

I think I read a stat somewhere a few years back (it might have changed now) he'd given us more than twice as many red cards than the opposition in games he's reffed us.

And you only have to look at the Herrera red at Chelsea, two soft challenges, both yellows and that hasn't been the only soft red he's given us.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
On here you'd think we're the most hard done by club ever.
Out there, we get all the decisions apparently.

The truth? Probably in the middle somewhere, like all clubs.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

And you only have to look at the Herrera red at Chelsea, two soft challenges, both yellows and that hasn't been the only soft red he's given us.
That second yellow had me shouting at the tv. He sent Herrera off for an accumulation of fouls on Hazard by other United players. It was bizarre how he enforced a new type of totting-up process which has never been done before by any other ref and has never been done since.

cyberman

That second yellow had me shouting at the tv. He sent Herrera off for an accumulation of fouls on Hazard by other United players. It was bizarre how he enforced a new type of totting-up process which has never been done before by any other ref and has never been done since.
Worst example is when we were going for top 4 v title chasing Leicester and a defender grabbed a United player shirt outside the box and held onto him until he fell near the byline.
It’s a pen. Rule is if it carries on into the box it’s a pen but he gave it as a free outside the box, we drew and missed out on CL on goal difference

Idxomer

Yep that's the usual flow of games where Oliver refs us. I was just giving an extreme example that Oliver would get away with tomorrow.

I think I read a stat somewhere a few years back (it might have changed now) he'd given us more than twice as many red cards than the opposition in games he's reffed us.

Or Di Maria's 2nd yellow in the FA Cup for trying to get his attention just a few months after letting Joe Hart headbutt him.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Pretty much this. You could say the same about any ref who supports a team in a relegation battle. Not to mention, he would have to be a complete idiot to throw away his integrity by showing favoritism in such an important match.

OrcaFat

I wouldn’t accuse him of deliberate or conscious bias. However, he is a Newcastle fan and will obviously want us to lose. This will affect his ability to do his job. It will be in his head all the time that he can’t be seen to be biased against or to overcompensate and be biased in favour of us.

And all the while he wants us to lose, wants us to be weakened for our run in. And he wants to be seen as a strong ref, not afraid to send one of ours off, even though it might make him look biased.

He’s shit and I don’t trust him to control himself.

stevoc

Or Di Maria's 2nd yellow in the FA Cup for trying to get his attention just a few months after letting Joe Hart headbutt him.
Yep he always finds a way when it's United.

Good news is that this is getting enough traction online that he wont have the balls to give a dodgy decision against us

Will probably play in our favour
Doubt it but if that were the case all the more reason why he shouldn't be the ref tomorrow.