Newcastle owners sanction the murder of 7 men for sit-in protests

Chief123

Clearly the Saudis and to avoid confusion, the ruling class.
Looks like it wasn’t so clear to some…

Middle Eastern owners who own countries with human rights issues.

How can you possibly not infer that?

And have you been living under a rock the past few years? Surely you don't think it's just Newcastle? Boxing, Golf.
So Saudi’s own one major football team in Europe and have held boxing events recently in their country. How does that equate to taking over world sports?

Bear in mind there’s a lot of things I detest about Saudi Arabia. However, I don’t see your original point

ScholesyTheWise

Ah the old fit and proper persons test and due diligence working like a dream.

This story is unspeakably grim. I'm struggling to wrap my head around the fact that a regime who's killing teenagers for protesting were allowed buy a PL club.
Makes me wonder how one can establish laws that by their very wording do not allow for this Saudi Investment Fund or whatever it's called (""not the government""), or this Sheikh Jassim of Qatar (""not the government""), to buy sporting institutions.

It's probably impossible, right?

JagUTD

So Saudi’s own one major football team in Europe and have held boxing events recently in their country. How does that equate to taking over world sports?

Bear in mind there’s a lot of things I detest about Saudi Arabia. However, I don’t see your original point
Look, I think it was clear to most and I've explained further for those who are unsure.

For further clarity, taking over implies something you are in the process of doing. To demonstrate the point and highlight that it is not something that happens quickly, see the Club Sale thread regarding the taking over of Manchester United.

I believe it is also part of their economic plan and one of their options to diversify their economy.

I hope that's clear enough.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Who are these people?
Oh, you know - brown people, Muslims, people who wear weird headgear in public.

Because there's nothing else certain owners (and imminent owners) of football clubs in Europe have in common. Just skin colour, religion (and the headgear).

Withnail

They've just bought the PGA. They're in talks to be the main sponsor of the new African Superleague, apparently with a view to get CAF onside for any future world cup bid. They're also expanding their presence in Motorsports all the time and there's probably other stuff I'm not aware of.

RedStarUnited

Ah the old fit and proper persons test and due diligence working like a dream.

This story is unspeakably grim. I'm struggling to wrap my head around the fact that a regime who's killing teenagers for protesting were allowed buy a PL club.
How can the Premier League deem people who the British government are in bed with not to be fit and propper?

Saudi Arabia is the United Kingdom's primary trading partner in the Middle East, the UK is Saudi Arabia's closest European ally.

stevoc

That is an interesting point I have also thought about for a bit. But in the end public image is only a small part of sports washing. It is also about creating dependencies. And it is about creating connections. Getting into the room with the right people. Create an environment wherein favors and bribes can easily be exchanged. Get important people do your bidding. Public image doesn't even have to improve for sports washing to be effective. It is enough to have people dependent on you so they defend you when criticism is voiced.
Indeed.

Withnail

How can the Premier League deem people who the British government are in bed with not to be fit and propper?

Saudi Arabia is the United Kingdom's primary trading partner in the Middle East, the UK is Saudi Arabia's closest European ally.
Who the UK govt has deals with shouldn't influence anything imo. Boris Johnson wasn't fit to run a corner shop and he was the PM.

The PL could have made a decision independent of government influence, maybe? But that didn't happen. The Tories definitely let it be known that the deal should go through.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
This is absolutely vile, but there’s some weird kind of almost revelling in the news going on in this thread which is also rather gross to see.

ScholesyTheWise

Who the UK govt has deals with shouldn't influence anything imo. Boris Johnson wasn't fit to run a corner shop and he was the PM.

The PL could have made a decision independent of government influence, maybe? But that didn't happen. The Tories definitely let it be known that the deal should go through.
That would most probably have been the head of the PL fired on the spot,
with some video of them staring at their secretary's tits popping out of nowhere.

I don't think I'm even being wide of the mark here :(

Withnail

This is absolutely vile, but there’s some weird kind of almost revelling in the news going on in this thread which is also rather gross to see.
I think it's dark humour as a coping mechanism for how football is now inextricably linked to horrific shit like this rather than anyone actually being happy about it.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
But the PL and the British Government let it happen.
Careful now. If you watched the PL at any point, and if you voted (or not voted) for any government in recent history, I'd pipe down if I were you. Especially if you're wearing shoes...you are wearing shoes, aren't you - well! Hitler's mom wore shoes too, how do you feel about that you feckin' shoe wearing monster?

...and so forth (yeah, yeah - I'll shut up now and watch a movie).

Cloud7

Yeah there almost seems to be some kind of rejoicing going on here over a tragic event and using it as some kind of point scoring exercise and it’s really quite ugly. The first page is almost entirely “jokes and parody”

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Yeah there almost seems to be some kind of rejoicing going on here over a tragic event and using it as some kind of point scoring exercise and it’s really quite ugly. The first page is almost entirely “jokes and parody”
Yes, and countered with obtuse questions. It deserves better discussion.

tomaldinho1

Despicable. Football needs to be purged, I’d honestly rather United were a mid table club and we won F all for years than be owned by anything even remotely similar.

Mike Smalling

Everything football is depressing these days. What a state this sport is in.
To be fair, it isn’t just football. Did you see that interview with the golfer defending the LIV Golf tour which is also Saudi owned? In response to a question about 9/11 he literally said “Nobody is perfect”.

It’s a parody at this point.

Red Star One

I find “jokes and parody” much more sincere and honest than some shallow sadness and sentiments like “oh it’s so cruel and tragic but we just have to accept it and focus on what happens on the field”

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
There's very little rejoicing, from what I can see.

The jokes aren't made in an attempt to make light of the event, very much to the contrary. Perhaps it's in bad taste or misguided to joke about such a thing, but a) the thing is hardly unprecedented, it's rather something people recognize as par for the course (for that regime) and b) the jokes are in no way intended to downplay the seriousness of the matter (that should be obvious, really).

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Absolutely no-one is rejoicing over this. Everyone is horrified. Some will ignore the horrific nature of these events if it benefits them.

Teja

What can you do about it though? Prevent any random rich Arab from buying football clubs because they're connected to the state in some way?

This is grim because the PIF, a state run organization, owns Newcastle. You could put in a rule that says the source of the capital shouldn't have relations to the state at all (kind of a dubious rule to put in place because most wealthy people have some connection to their respective states) but they can very easily put up fronts like Jassim to get around that rule.

stevoc

Careful now. If you watched the PL at any point, and if you voted (or not voted) for any government in recent history, I'd pipe down if I were you. Especially if you're wearing shoes...you are wearing shoes, aren't you - well! Hitler's mom wore shoes too, how do you feel about that you feckin' shoe wearing monster?

...and so forth (yeah, yeah - I'll shut up now and watch a movie).
Flip flops....

.....but I do have a smart phone and I've bought Diesel for a car before so I'm a massive hypocrite.

stevoc

There's very little rejoicing, from what I can see.

The jokes aren't made in an attempt to make light of the event, very much to the contrary. Perhaps it's in bad taste or misguided to joke about such a thing, but a) the thing is hardly unprecedented, it's rather something people recognize as par for the course (for that regime) and b) the jokes are in no way intended to downplay the seriousness of the matter (that should be obvious, really).
I didn't think that either, the sarcastic replies parody and highlight the ludicrous defence some people make for these barbaric regimes.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I didn't think that either, the sarcastic replies parody and highlight the ludicrous defence some people make for these barbaric regimes.
That was certainly my own intention - and I believe that goes for pretty much everyone else too.

Except @rimaldo, of course (I have it on good authority that he's the grandson of Stalin's uncle's mistress, a horrible woman who went by the stage name "Rimalda"). *

* Spelled "rimalda" (lower-case, that's where he got the idea).

Last edited:

klsv

A small price to pay for this lot to see their team back in the CL

quadrant

But, if anything, the fact that they own Newcastle has brought this to more people's attention instead of washing their image? That guy would likely not be tweeting it and it wouldn't be posted on this section of redcafe.

In relation to the article, it is absurd that something like this is deemed worthy of death. Even when you read these stories it's almost hard to believe that this is real life...same goes for all sorts of barbaric atrocities we commit across the globe.
I suspect the negative exposure they'll get from stories like this is a tiny fraction of the positive exposure they’ll get as the generous, powerful benefactors of a noble football club.

Teja

So where does it end? Do you want to ban the Ambanis because they're in bed with the BJP and the BJP does bad things? Same with the Chinese owners of Wolves. I assume a lot of the British billionaires are associated with the government in some way too.

gajender

What can you do about it though? Prevent any random rich Arab from buying football clubs because they're connected to the state in some way?

This is grim because the PIF, a state run organization, owns Newcastle. You could put in a rule that says the source of the capital shouldn't have relations to the state at all (kind of a dubious rule to put in place because most wealthy people have some connection to their respective states) but they can very easily put up fronts like Jassim to get around that rule.
Truth to be told there is unfortunately no way around it you can't just welcome investments from Gulf countries in all your businesses and then suddenly draw a line at Investments in football .

At stretch you could ban Sovereign funds direct ownership of football Clubs even that might not be feasible but preventing anyone with state connection from owning a football club would simply not fly .

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Plenty of countries have the death penalty and little to no due process. China being the most obvious...

Yet everyone does business with them and doesn't bat an eyelid.

lsd

The Oracle
Disgusting but that will soon be us over Qatar get their hands on us

Football is finished because of this and no one seems to really to do anything about it

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Plenty of countries have the death penalty and little to no due process. China being the most obvious...

Yet everyone does business with them and doesn't bat an eyelid.
I'm not sure that's correct anymore, many economies are trying to pull themselves away from Chinese influence (to varying degrees of success).

I hate how the football forum has turned into another CE forum....

dal

Anykind of death is bad, this especially but I do have saudi friends who say they are 3 generations behind the world which logically is fair enough considering that england was abolishing slavery in the 1800's and is still trying today.

Also they hate the fact that the world brought oil off them, ignoring their heinous acts, for dirty oil, they also say when english men accuse the arab states of dirty money they forget to mention that they and their governments were complicit, they also benefitted.

Just passing on an opinion, I wonder what the arab states will think of AI. Something tells me that these men will get off hopefully.

Last edited: