Newcastle owners sanction the murder of 7 men for sit-in protests

Herman Toothrot

It hasn't increased visibility of internal Saudi politics. The world still sees MBS and Saudi through the lens of the Khashoggi murder.
Through the lens of the Khashoggi murder but with a little bit of background noise from a small army of lunatics who want money for their football club.

Herman Toothrot

Sports washing works so well, people on here will pretend it doesn’t even exist.
Attack of the Clones. They don't want the heritage or the glory, they want an army of angry idiots who'll go online to defend them at any cost.

cyberman

Sports washing works so well, people on here will pretend it doesn’t even exist.
I think bringing football clubs into serious conversations that are then caught in a continuous, dull loop irks people, not defending these acts because they own Newcastle.
Sport washing isn’t so great that a United fan will simply defend Saudi for it. That’s just nonsense.
No offence but I love this train of thought that it’s now sport washing that offers the opposing opinion to your views when the fact is these threads have always been a shit show

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It was you and I do mean you this time and others bringing Newcastle United into it. They're either involved or they are not.

You people really need to make your fecking minds up.
Make minds up about what?

MDFC Manager

There are some significant differences between LGBT rights in Qatar and Saudi Arabia.

For one, while homosexual acts are punishable by death in both countries, this has never been applied in Qatar and 2. the mere act of existing as a gay person is punishable by death in Saudi Arabia and not in Qatar.

Now get off your high horse and consider the impact of these differences on someone born gay in either country.

And let's not ignore the fact that half the population in Saudi Arabia (which would include me) is forced to wear a garbage bag with 2 holes in it all the time and every non facsist sunni muslim is executed.

So I'm sorry that I'm not overlooking the fact that 99% of all readers here would get executed in Saudi Arabia, and could have a semblance of a life in Qatar.

Yes، I know the horror stories of migrant workers in Qatar, but I think a genocidal war in Yemen, which the Saudi scum are fully responsible for is far, far worse. Saudis don't treat guests kindly either: https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...-desert/84d4efce-b317-4d48-aaa8-b8a4551bba19/

It's fine to find Qatar ownership of the club undesirable, but the amount of conflating I see between Saudi Arabia and other Arab countries (or Iran sometimes, I kid you not) is fecking moronic.
Lot of non truths and half truths in this but talking about it will just fuel the "see, sportswashing works, look at the people defending this!" type of comments.

Withnail

Lot of non truths and half truths in this but talking about it will just fuel the "see, sportswashing works, look at the people defending this!" type of comments.
I think there's room for discussing the differences between different countries policies and nobody accused that poster of sportswashing but I don't think they'll be able to respond over their comments re the burqa/niqab.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
So Sports washing doesn’t exist then?
You don't even know what it means :lol:

Neither do most people throwing the phrase around thinking it adds weight to their posts

Even if you were to believe sportswashing exists, to think anything on the Caf is proof of sportswashing remains one of the most ignorant things I've ever seen here, which is no ordinary feat

cyberman

Neither do most people throwing the phrase around thinking it adds weight to their posts

Even if you were to believe sportswashing exists, to think anything on the Caf is proof of sportswashing remains one of the most ignorant things I've ever seen here, which is no ordinary feat
What do you mean I don’t know what it means? You see the post I was replying to?
Imagine gate keeping sports washing as an online hobby..

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

You're laughing at someone for not being able to define something you say doesn't exist.

That's quite a feat of mental gymnastics.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
What do you mean I don’t know what it means? You see the post I was replying to?
Imagine gate keeping sports washing as an online hobby..
Exactly that

You're laughing at someone for not being able to define something you say doesn't exist.

That's quite a feat of mental gymnastics.
There's not even a coherent definition of the term (on here) that holds up to any scrutiny! That's what I'm laughing at. I can hold that view AND decide to believe countries aren't up to the act (based on a theoretical coherent definition, which again, I've not seen on here).

It's very safe to say that linking online posts on a football forum to the deliberate planning and actions of a sovereign state is something that can be laughed at.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Exactly that

There's not even a coherent definition of the term (on here) that holds up to any scrutiny! That's what I'm laughing at. I can hold that view AND decide to believe countries aren't up to the act (based on a theoretical coherent definition, which again, I've not seen on here).

It's very safe to say that linking online posts on a football forum to the deliberate planning and actions of a sovereign state is something that can be laughed at.
Maybe one day someone will define it to your satisfaction. In the meantime, laugh away, it's just not a great look to be so compelled to engage for the sole purpose of sneering.

Abizzz

Exactly that

:lol:

So you're holding the view that countries aren't doing an act you don't know any coherent definition of?

I mean you can hold that view, but I can hold the view that that's rather bizarre independent of what the actual act is.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
By the way, @Chesterlestreet, I owe you a response, seeing as you're the only one in this thread who's put a coherent meaning behind the word sportswashing
Thanks, mate (I don't deserve that, but thanks nonetheless).

As for the response, I would like to hear your thoughts - of course.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
A football forum is just a sample of wider society. You don't think plenty of newcastle, city, psg, etc fans tend to be defensive about this and many tend to whatabout their way out of criticism of these regimes because their club happens to be owned by one? If you talk to real people you'll find these people. Even in the many threads about city's title people complain pundits tend to ignore the cheating and human rights abuse for the sake of the integrity of the game, so there's an obvious real world effect to this, it baffles me you can't see it.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
A football forum is just a sample of wider society. You don't think plenty of newcastle, city, psg, etc fans tend to be defensive about this and many tend to whatabout their way out of criticism of these regimes because their club happens to be owned by one? If you talk to real people you'll find these people. Even in the many threads about city's title people complain pundits tend to ignore the cheating and human rights abuse for the sake of the integrity of the game, so there's an obvious real world effect to this, it baffles me you can't see it.
If this football forum is representative sample of wider society then god help us all!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Anecdotally (yes, yes - but what else can I possibly offer), I can tell you this:

I have people in my life that I have known for decades who have surprised (perhaps even shocked, in some cases) me lately. They are making (to me) insane arguments in order to defend a possible Qatari takeover.

These are people who have consistently been either raging or laughing about City's ownership. And in most cases people who did the same when Saudi/Newcastle was announced. Not one of them has ever previously suggested:

a) that it's unreasonable to simply associate City's owner with the UAE (the state)

or b) that being owned by a state (with virtually unlimited funds in a football context) is not hugely problematic in and of itself

or c) that the basic problem with City is that they're a "small" club (they needed to cheat, a "big" club wouldn't need to).

They do now, though (all of the above).

As I keep saying, this could be called (the effect/result) of "sportswashing" or not. But it clearly is a phenomenon - we have all seen it, both online and in RL.

What the actual effect of this is...who knows? But to dismiss the phenomenon seems either naive or...plain disingenuous: United have hundreds of millions of fans across all kinds of demographics (very much unlike City at the time of their takeover by...whatever we want to call their owners).

Withnail

Exactly that

Such a lovely high horse you have. It's amazing.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
The truly scary part is this is already a semi competently curated sample of society :lol: :lol::D

:eek::nervous:
You should take a look at the comments section on Fox News, those are truly scary and I understand that Newsmax's version is even worse!

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Come on: countries who still have this royalty members ruling the country just because they were born in the right place, those royal family members probably get away with much worse stuff.
If drug cartel leaders amuse themselves financing snuff videos collections and organizing sports hunting of human beings, these kind of people have the power to basically do that and much worse without any legal repercussion.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
What is sportswashing?
It just suits everybody's agendas to chastise the Russians why they turn a blind eye to the Saudis who are far worse in my opinion.
How is that so?? I'm willing to bet that more lives and kids for that matter are being cruelly lost in the US than in KSA. People really need to start looking closer to home before spouting all this sportswashing crap.