Newcastle United now owned by the PIF | PL receives "legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control NUFC" ;)

Interval

Level
Leicester as well. But it'll get more and more difficult. And Klopp is a great manager, I doubt they'd have been as successful with someone else. As for United we'll be there or thereabouts due to our revenue size.
Don't be so sure about "revenue" being there. All of the things that make us feel disconnected are important because they go a long way in capturing the new generation of fans. The tick tock twitter generation and whoeever follows them. As they become the new money Because we won't change loyalties and our spends on "following" the club reduce. You stay off the top long enough, the more your revenue will not stay in tact. This is different from 15 yrs ago when stadium receipt were still sizeable contribution to income; increasingly not so much.

Just look at the average age on thos forum. I'm sure it's increased dramatically in the last 10 yrs simply because new kid followers have been fewer than in the past.

Sure, we can strike gold like Klopp type manager who can make us successful for a few yrs but what if that type ends up at an oil fuelled club? What if they make an offer the new SAF can't refuse? This is a precedent that has intensified and no amount of apologist Man City fans or Newcastle fans can argue that it hasn't been good for football.

RUCK4444

This would be a game changer. Could potentially blow everyone out of the water.

Yes it will. Which I why I wasn’t against their ownership of United, you can’t beat em then join em, unfortunately.

Now we will be left behind another super power owner and we will go back to blaming whatever manager we have.

Yeah we spend but not to our potential limit and nowhere near what we could with an owner like this pumping money in rather than taking it out.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
If it happens, which it hasn't yet (and we've been in this position before only to see it not happen), I hope people remember that the money alone won't be enough. Without the right people at the helm it's not going to go well. Could take a few years at least to get right. They need the right manager too.

SuperiorXI

If it happens, which it hasn't yet (and we've been in this position before only to see it not happen), I hope people remember that the money alone won't be enough. Without the right people at the helm it's not going to go well. Could take a few years at least to get right. They need the right manager too.
It will be a matter of time like it was a city. They started off not up to expectations, but because of the sheer scale of their financial wealth it's when and not if.

RUCK4444

It will be a matter of time like it was a city. They started off not up to expectations, but because of the sheer scale of their financial wealth it's when and not if.
This. Just a matter of time.

Dark times ahead I fear. They were the only possible suitors to take over United so we’re now stuck with the Glazers or potentially somebody worse if they do sell us.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
So, do you think they'll make a couple of seasons of weird signings like City did or will they go straight to the top and sign Mbappe?
'Straight to the top' players aren't going to sign to a club to be out of the Champions League for one season minimum. They can still make some very good signings though, especially from those soon-to-be free agents (I've mentioned Kessie - who they were after last year before they got blocked by the PL - and Rudiger in a previous post) as well as some talent from soon-to-be relegated football clubs (Max Aarons) which will take them towards competing for the Europa League places (from next season) though they might make a statement signing like Toure/Aguero were for City.

There are a lot more teams fighting it out for the Europa League places these days (Leicester City, West Ham United, Tottenham Hotspur, Everton, Arsenal and Aston Villa with some clubs having 'surprise' seasons like Brentford and Brighton are having so far and Leeds did last season) so it won't be easy to achieve that compared to when City got taken over, particularly with the rise of transfer prices and PL FFP but in 3, 4 seasons tops they'll probably be in the Champions League.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
This. Just a matter of time.

Dark times ahead I fear. They were the only possible suitors to take over United so we’re now stuck with the Glazers or potentially somebody worse if they do sell us.
Who could be worse than the Saudis!! Have you seen their human rights records? Maybe China.

Giggsyking

Looking at that list proves though that being rich doesn't necessarily mean you'll do well by the club. Kroenke being worth more than PSG's owner is proof of that
Al-khlaifi is just a picture, the qatari state worth much much more than 6b.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Al-khlaifi is just a picture, the qatari state worth much much more than 6b.
Fair enough. Even so, look at Kroenke's worth vs Arsenal's spending.

I don't for a second think that Newcastle will be shy with their money though

stevoc

Looking at that list proves though that being rich doesn't necessarily mean you'll do well by the club. Kroenke being worth more than PSG's owner is proof of that
I think by now we know that City and PSG aren't owned by two individuals. They're both owned by states.

Infra-red

Who could be worse than the Saudis!! Have you seen their human rights records? Maybe China.
Indeed. A murderous regime of despicable cnuts. The sooner we all get off oil and bankrupt their shitty totalitarian dictatorship, the better.

I don't like the Glazers, but the two simply cannot be compared.

UnitedFan93

Why would it?
For years now the Glazers have been selling off chunks of shares when the share price is near all time highs. Why would they do that if they think the club will continue to go up in value? Ultimately they know that it is becoming near impossible with our debt levels to improve all areas of the club to ensure that United has best in class in everything; squad, stadium, training ground etc. They've already seen the fans break into the stadium and cancel a game. Future fan protests are likely especially if we're competing for top 6 every year. It will get to a stage where the Glazers will feel they have maximised the value of the club especially with the death of the Super League, and so will start cashing out their billions without tanking the share price. Actually it's already happening.

sewey89

I think by now we know that City and PSG aren't owned by two individuals. They're both owned by states.
Yeah, my point was more about how rich Kroenke is vs how he doesn't spend that much at Arsenal. But you're absolutely right

tomaldinho1

Personally I think this is worse for City rather than United. Very few players dream of playing for City, much less their families living in Manchester but obviously money talks and they’re one of the few clubs who can afford most players (ignoring FFP obviously helps as well). Realistically they compete with us & Chelsea (for example Jorginho whose wife wanted London, Maguire, Ronaldo) and that’s really about it.

United are in a position to compete, we’ve spent money poorly in general and made some poor managerial choices but we are global and able to spend huge sums given the size we are. And let’s not pretend we haven’t spent serious money since SAF left. We can survive and compete without winning but can they?

If you’re player now and you are offered big money, the big appeal of City outside of money really is Pep and he’s hinted at taking a break. Newcastle is also a much better business plan because you’re not competing with arguably the biggest club in the world (which was UAE’s big ego driven mistake and why they inflated sponsors because you can’t magic football fans into stadiums to fill seats). Newcastle is a football crazy city, have a stadium which is already massive but can be completed to hold even more and there is zero local competition in reality (sorry Sunderland).

sewey89

For years now the Glazers have been selling off chunks of shares when the share price is near all time highs. Why would they do that if they think the club will continue to go up in value? Ultimately they know that it is becoming near impossible with our debt levels to improve all areas of the club to ensure that United has best in class in everything; squad, stadium, training ground etc. They've already seen the fans break into the stadium and cancel a game. Future fan protests are likely especially if we're competing for top 6 every year. It will get to a stage where the Glazers will feel they have maximised the value of the club especially with the death of the Super League, and so will start cashing out their billions without tanking the share price. Actually it's already happening.
I like your optimism but I can't see them selling up any time soon

This would be a game changer. Could potentially blow everyone out of the water.

That's not quite right. PSG is owned by QIA with Al-Khelaifi as president. QIA is neck and neck with Saudi's PIF so a million miles wealthier than anybody else. Though as a proper sovereign wealth fund they do have some kind of obligation not to spunk all the money away on Adrianos and Mangalas.

We can probably expect some ridiculous headline signings whilst the overall squad remains unbalanced.

Personally I think this is worse for City rather than United. Very few players dream of playing for City, much less their families living in Manchester but obviously money talks and they’re one of the few clubs who can afford most players (ignoring FFP obviously helps as well). Realistically they compete with us & Chelsea (for example Jorginho whose wife wanted London, Maguire, Ronaldo) and that’s really about it.

United are in a position to compete, we’ve spent money poorly in general and made some poor managerial choices but we are global and able to spend huge sums given the size we are. And let’s not pretend we haven’t spent serious money since SAF left. We can survive and compete without winning but can they?

If you’re player now and you are offered big money, the big appeal of City outside of money really is Pep and he’s hinted at taking a break. Newcastle is also a much better business plan because you’re not competing with arguably the biggest club in the world (which was UAE’s big ego driven mistake and why they inflated sponsors because you can’t magic football fans into stadiums to fill seats). Newcastle is a football crazy city, have a stadium which is already massive but can be completed to hold even more and there is zero local competition in reality (sorry Sunderland).
Some truth to this. Newcastle are much bigger than City was at the time of the takeover. City's appeal was only ever money, Newcastle will have the same money plus some of the profile. Only issue is attracting players to live in fecking Newcastle; Manchester is hard enough.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Bring on the Super League! :nervous:
Feck any super league. It'll be lower league football for me. I've slowly weaned myself off 100% dependency. Cancelled BT Sport years ago and Sky Sports will be gone this year. Yes I occasionally watch by other means (erm, pubs, etc) but just my own team. Haven't seen MotD or any football analysis for ages.

And if they get their affiliation claws into lower league then amateur football for me.

Noc-Z

ffs
Am I being over the top in finding this absolutely sickening? Should I be more light-hearted about it and just enjoy the football? I wish I could but this just leaves me really disillusioned with football. And it's absolutely not sour grapes as I wouldn't want it happening to us, just as I didn't want the Glazers taking over here. I don't have the answers - someone has to own the clubs but there must be a better way/model. The premier league is just a billionaires playground. It's just a big money battle (mostly oil money it would seem). There must be a fairer way and FFP doesn't seem to have worked so far. I can't be a hypocrite - looking at the top earners in the Premier League it looks like 4 out the top 5 are United players. Clearly we are under achieving! (and I hate to admit that that must surely be on Ole now). I really don't know where this goes. There's only so much room for all these billionaires. We could have a top 3 of Man City, Chelsea and Newcastle...United, Spurs, Arsenal etc. fighting it out for 4th. We badly need a fairer way rather than a billionaire money battle. Maybe I'm being over dramatic and it's not all so bad, but it just doesn't feel right to me. I don't know where it all ends, the level of money in the game is ridiculous.

Spoony

The People's President
Don't be so sure about "revenue" being there. All of the things that make us feel disconnected are important because they go a long way in capturing the new generation of fans. The tick tock twitter generation and whoeever follows them. As they become the new money Because we won't change loyalties and our spends on "following" the club reduce. You stay off the top long enough, the more your revenue will not stay in tact. This is different from 15 yrs ago when stadium receipt were still sizeable contribution to income; increasingly not so much.

Just look at the average age on thos forum. I'm sure it's increased dramatically in the last 10 yrs simply because new kid followers have been fewer than in the past.

Sure, we can strike gold like Klopp type manager who can make us successful for a few yrs but what if that type ends up at an oil fuelled club? What if they make an offer the new SAF can't refuse? This is a precedent that has intensified and no amount of apologist Man City fans or Newcastle fans can argue that it hasn't been good for football.
PL has become a victim of its own success. As for United if the owners are willing to compete, we'll just have to be more savvy, just looked at the Ronaldo factor. Was a mistake not buying him back from Real but yeah it's sad were talking finances and what not. Anyhow, Surely United and Liverpool are ripe for the picking...I just can't see these two clubs not becoming a play thing for some oil rich nation.

UnitedFan93

I like your optimism but I can't see them selling up any time soon
They are selling up though, just in small chunks so that they don't crash the share price. Their total ownership of the club continues to fall. The Newcastle takeover will continue the process.

InfiniteBoredom

How much would Newcastle need to spend to win the league? £500 million if they have decent luck in the market?

They need to replace literally everyone in the squad and the coaching staff.
1 billion pounds is the going rate, most likely. Cost you a similar amount to lift the first CL and Newcastle winning the league from their current position is just as hard if not harder.

laughtersassassin

This will be interesting in thecoming years.

If they are going to spend the money they are touted to have then it will push City to Match them likely making the league a 2 horse race for the foreseeable future.

RUCK4444

I meant worse than the Glazers from an ownership perspective and what they've taken out of the club.

Nobody who buys United will want to do so without making a considerable return on their investment, considering the extremely high value of the club that would mean a new owner would by default be looking to take a LOT more out of the club than the Glazers have.

Nobody likes the prospect of Saudi ownership from a human rights perspective but they were perhaps the only suitor for this club that would improve it from the position we are now. I've said this for probably 3 years now.

RUCK4444

This will be interesting in thecoming years.

If they are going to spend the money they are touted to have then it will push City to Match them likely making the league a 2 horse race for the foreseeable future.
This is exactly what will happen. I fear my interest in the game is all but done tbh.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
1 billion pounds is the going rate, most likely. Cost you a similar amount to lift the first CL and Newcastle winning the league from their current position is just as hard if not harder.
It took 9 years of huge investment from Roman for Chelsea to win the Champs League. 9. And we were already in the Champions League when he took over!

People are taking like Newcastle will be a monster within a year or two.

passing-wind

It took 9 years of huge investment from Roman for Chelsea to win the Champs League. 9. And we were already in the Champions League when he took over!

People are taking like Newcastle will be a monster within a year or two.
Abramovic also has what I'd consider decent football nous compared to most owners in world football. It's not just the money it's also the hierarchy, Newcastle will need the right people in charge and a good manager for things to fall into place. Glazers have shown that reckless spending without a valid footballing structure will yield failure. It's what goes on behind the scenes that will determine Newcastle's success.

JustAGuest

This is exactly what will happen. I fear my interest in the game is all but done tbh.
Feels like it's only FFP stopping it for now. As another poster mentioned the way things are going we must soon be next in line for state ownership . The day that happens my interest will be completely gone.

redshaw

Horrendous.
She might need to see what happens when he visits the UK, he gets the red carpet rolled out and has vans driving around with his face on. UK Saudis Premier league is one in the same.