Newcastle United now owned by the PIF | PL receives "legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control NUFC" ;)

Spoony

The People's President
I meant worse than the Glazers from an ownership perspective and what they've taken out of the club.

Nobody who buys United will want to do so without making a considerable return on their investment, considering the extremely high value of the club that would mean a new owner would by default be looking to take a LOT more out of the club than the Glazers have.

Nobody likes the prospect of Saudi ownership from a human rights perspective but they were perhaps the only suitor for this club that would improve it from the position we are now. I've said this for probably 3 years now.

United aren't going to be bought for being a profitable business, the oil lot only care for exposure and there's nowt bigger than the PL.

kps88

It took 9 years of huge investment from Roman for Chelsea to win the Champs League. 9. And we were already in the Champions League when he took over!

People are taking like Newcastle will be a monster within a year or two.
The CL isn't the correct barometer anyway. You could have won it much earlier with a bit of luck.

Wilt

It took 9 years of huge investment from Roman for Chelsea to win the Champs League. 9. And we were already in the Champions League when he took over!

People are taking like Newcastle will be a monster within a year or two.
Yep, City got taken over in 2008 and they still haven’t won the CL.

RUCK4444

United aren't going to be bought for being a profitable business, the oil lot only care for exposure and there's nowt bigger than the PL.
Yes but they are buying Newcastle not us. Who then will buy us if the 'oil lot' already have their clubs?

We will be stuck with Glazers or a new owner that will want to take out more than the Glazers have.

Siorac

Man City took four years to win the league after their 2008 takeover and they had the likes of Kompany already in the side.
Worth noting that City were taken over on the very last day of the 2008 summer window so their true spending started in 2009.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I guess Leicester were the last fairytale of the Premier League and even they needed big overseas investment.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Worth noting that City were taken over on the very last day of the 2008 summer window so their true spending started in 2009.
Didn't they sign Robinho on that same day? That must have been a wild ride for the City fans that day.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Newcastle would have been relegated this season but for this. Still might be. I don’t think Mbappe and Haaland
will be interested in joining a relegation battle in January.

Born2Lose

Makes me wonder if Newcastle have been so attractive had the ESL gone ahead.

Great for Newcastle fans and football agents,, but a dark day if you're a genuine football fan of any European club.

Doesn't matter if they win something now or in a decade, the eventual impact will be further artificial inflation of transfer fees and wages for all clubs trying to compete. The problem is I don't think they can compensate with a bumper new TV deal anymore, I and many fans I know have had enough.

Tarrou

You can still get 1/2 on Brucey being next manager to go

I reckon he’ll be gone as soon as the takeover goes through

Judas

Open to offers
Can't believe people genuinely wanting the Saudi lot here. It would feel utter shit to be a play thing for a regime that hideous. Yeah we'll probably struggle even more now, but rather that than celebrating being a sport washing enterprise.

The apathy I've felt towards the sport has been growing and growing as time passes, this probably just hurries it along really.

Still it will be funny to see Newcastle leapfrog City, which I believe they will. City without Pep, and then another club who dwarfs them money wise? They've literally nothing to offer apart from being based in Manchester and our rival once again.

Classical Mechanic

Didn't they sign Robinho on that same day? That must have been a wild ride for the City fans that day.
I was out on the piss that day and didn't catch any of it until the next morning when my City supporting brother rang me to smugly gloat. It certainly was a 'WTF' moment for me. It had seemed impossible that City would sign Robinho going by received wisdom up to that point.

Spoony

The People's President
Yes but they are buying Newcastle not us. Who then will buy us if the 'oil lot' already have their clubs?

We will be stuck with Glazers or a new owner that will want to take out more than the Glazers have.

Chinese investment, I guess. I can't believe we're discussing potential buyers but sadly it's the game. Funny times.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He famously thought he was signing for Man Utd.
And Chelsea apparently.

I have no memory of this but his wiki page has this neat little paragraph

Robinho had previously been linked with a transfer to Chelsea,[18] and he had emphasised his desire to play for the London club up to the eve of the transfer.[19] On 27 August, Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon said that the club were "confident" that the transaction would go through,[20] and Madrid had also given their consent for the player to leave.[20] Robinho's expectancy to move to Chelsea was such that upon signing for Manchester City he accidentally stated, "On the last day, Chelsea made a great proposal and I accepted." To this comment, a reporter then replied, "You mean Manchester, right?" "Yeah, Manchester, sorry!" answered Robinho.

Spoony

The People's President
They spent 90 million in the summer 08 window. They were spunking lots before the takeover.

To be fair, they've spent loads on East Manchester and all. I recall Blackburn becoming successful very quickly with Jack Walker's millions ( haha millions....). But yeah it'll take Newcastle a few years.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I meant worse than the Glazers from an ownership perspective and what they've taken out of the club.

Nobody who buys United will want to do so without making a considerable return on their investment, considering the extremely high value of the club that would mean a new owner would by default be looking to take a LOT more out of the club than the Glazers have.

Nobody likes the prospect of Saudi ownership from a human rights perspective but they were perhaps the only suitor for this club that would improve it from the position we are now. I've said this for probably 3 years now.

I assume that you are against a Saudi takeover, just clarifying since the last sentence is a bit open ended if you wanted them to improve the club or not.

But related: A state owned fund/conglomerate that buys the club does not care about profit. Its all about branding and global enterprise positioning for these playes.

JustAGuest

Can't believe people genuinely wanting the Saudi lot here. It would feel utter shit to be a play thing for a regime that hideous. Yeah we'll probably struggle even more now, but rather that than celebrating being a sport washing enterprise.

The apathy I've felt towards the sport has been growing and growing as time passes, this probably just hurries it along really.

Still it will be funny to see Newcastle leapfrog City, which I believe they will. City without Pep, and then another club who dwarfs them money wise? They've literally nothing to offer apart from being based in Manchester and our rival once again.
Goes to show why sportswashing is a thing. I'm already seeing Newcastle fans defend that Saudi lot on forums and social media. It's getting pretty pathetic already.

While it is alarming, and no-one needs another oil team blowing the league apart, the fees involved now will mean they can't do it as quickly as Chelsea and City did.

They'll be shopping in the B leagues for a bit, and it'll be a while before the 60-80m players want to get there.
And as we've seen for years, it's not just about the money, they'll have to get the manager AND recruitment spot on.

Plus they're also competing with us, City, Chelsea, PSG etc for the players.
I think you’re being as naive as everyone was when City’s takeover came.

They can, and will, blow everyone out of the water for wages and fees. They already have a large passionate fanbase and unlike City, a thriving Newcastle has huge appeal from the off.

It’s the club of Gasgoigne, Shearer and Keegan, not Shaun Goater and Wright-Phillips.

SER19

Guardiola will suddenly be looking to take on the challenge of waking such a fantastic football club :lol: like a trophy wife finding an even richer man

Happy for Newcastle. Big club. Was hoping saudis to take over united. Now only left with the taste of sour grapes in mouth.
What? So you'd happily support a club used to launder dirty money? Ew.

SER19

I think you’re being as naive as everyone was when City’s takeover came.

They can, and will, blow everyone out of the water for wages and fees. They already have a large passionate fanbase and unlike City, a thriving Newcastle has huge appeal from the off.
Agree. Far bigger club than city