Newcastle United now owned by the PIF | PL receives "legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control NUFC" ;)

Oldyella

Why Potter? I agree that he is a good manager with a lot of potential but I can see the Saudis wanting a big name. Could they go out and lure a Conte type marquee manager? Unlikely... but a manager such as Lampard or Gerrard (both linked in the media this morning) would offer a bigger name.
Yeah Potter makes more sense for us. Newcastle need to increase their profile. I'm sure they will be looking at bigger names, at least in the short term.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If I were Newcastle owner, I'd try as humanly as possible to land Klopp.

Fts 74

This won’t go as smoothly as City or Chelsea.

1. Almost all premier league owners are billionaires. A lot have over 2-3 billion, and most bought their clubs as toys for their pleasure. So unless the Newcastle owners are prepared to buy players for twice their value, there isn’t a need for owners to just sell their best players to them. This isn’t City in 2008, when the smaller sides had to sell to balance their books.

2. They aren’t based in a major city that’ll appeal to a bunch of rich young footballers.

3. Who are they going to attract? We’ve had clubs such as Fulham come up and spend 100m in a transfer window, only to get relegated. Unless they have a proper system in place and climb up into European football, no major player is going there. They can offer 800k a week but that’s what clubs such as Madrid, Barca and PSG have been doing for the past decade.
My thoughts exactly, everyone needs to calm down a bit.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Wonder what the reaction is amongst Newcastle fans? I’m sure there will be a significant percentage of fans who are not quite happy with these new owners given the horrendous human rights implications but then again maybe not

Infra-red

Sorry this probably has been addressed in the thread already but these assurances...how are they going to be monitored and do similar legal restrictions apply to City (another nation state sponsored club)?
They won't be monitored. They aren't worth the paper they were written on and will be forgotten about within a few days.

SirScholes

Wonder what the reaction is amongst Newcastle fans? I’m sure there will be a significant percentage of fans who are not quite happy with these new owners given the horrendous human rights implications but then again maybe not
I live in Newcastle there is not a single fan unhappy and most think they’ll be the biggest club in the world soon

Mention the super league and they kick off saying how it’s unfair, but human right abusing billionaires buying their club is ok.
my biggest problem with Newcastle fans, absolute blind hypocrisy

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
They look devastated.

I wish they get relegated this season.
Yeah, would be brilliant.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
I live in Newcastle there is not a single fan unhappy and most think they’ll be the biggest club in the world soon

my biggest problem with Newcastle fans, absolute blind hypocrisy
Same would be said for the majority of clubs if the same thing were to happen. They won’t care about who the owners are. Even more so when Mike Ashley was bleeding them dry for years.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
This won’t go as smoothly as City or Chelsea.

1. Almost all premier league owners are billionaires. A lot have over 2-3 billion, and most bought their clubs as toys for their pleasure. So unless the Newcastle owners are prepared to buy players for twice their value, there isn’t a need for owners to just sell their best players to them. This isn’t City in 2008, when the smaller sides had to sell to balance their books.

2. They aren’t based in a major city that’ll appeal to a bunch of rich young footballers.

3. Who are they going to attract? We’ve had clubs such as Fulham come up and spend 100m in a transfer window, only to get relegated. Unless they have a proper system in place and climb up into European football, no major player is going there. They can offer 800k a week but that’s what clubs such as Madrid, Barca and PSG have been doing for the past decade.
Yeah, my thoughts are similar. Success doesn’t feel inevitable as it did for City, as the football landscape is now quite different, and Newcastle is a rather provincial and remote location relatively. That said, it they take spending in football to a whole new magnitude, then they could blow teams out of the water.

Rojofiam

All of them reek of whataboutism or just straight up don't give a feck, also a lot of them just insult everyone on Twitter that has concerns about human rights.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
So the whole club cost just double of what City paid for one player in the summer... I can see the benefit and fans' joy of being rid of Ashley but it took City and Chelsea a number of years to win the title and both those, in my view, remain richer clubs.

That said, it would be nice if Bill gates would come and buy us ha ha

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I enjoyed watching Newcastle growing up when they were managed by Sir Bobby Robson - one of those clubs whose mindset was essentially 'we'll score more than you' and it resulted in a very enjoyable team to watch. Shearer, Solano, Roberts etc. But I've never quite understood where this whole 'sleeping giant' thing comes from? They've never had a sustained period of success and they haven't won a league since the 20's, or an FA Cup since the 50's. The entitlement of the Newcastle fans that they 'deserve' to be at the top of football because of the 'suffering' (give me a break) they've endured during the Ashley era really annoys me. It's why I hope this goes to shit, but sadly I doubt it.

SER19

The absolute state of Newcastle fans outside waving Saudi flags. Already cringing at the mind bending justifications they steal from city fans to live with the fact that they aren't a football club anymore.

Orton

So the whole club cost just double of what City paid for one player in the summer... I can see the benefit and fans' joy of being rid of Ashley but it took City and Chelsea a number of years to win the title and both those, in my view, remain richer clubs.

That said, it would be nice if Bill gates would come and buy us ha ha
It took Chelsea 2 years to win the league, City 4. Chelsea also got to the semi finals of the champions league the year before. The new owners made an instant impact. The only difference here is the season has begun and Newcastle are struggling near the bottom. There is no doubt that they will be looking to spend big in January and tighten the ship before going bonkers next summer.

AneRu

Took them just 2/3 years before signing absolute top quality, and made the champions league in the 3rd season, won the league in the 4th. It’s absolutely inevitable that this will happen again. People are being naive if they think it won’t.
And we have to remember that this Newcastle is bigger than the City that got taken over meaning that they are starting with a few advantages already. Read on Twitter that they intend to make City's academy director their new Sporting Director so it looks like they intend to replicate City's blueprint. Getting a few players in won't be hard, just look at the arrangement that Wolves had with Mendez giving them dibs at most of his young clients who need a platform so what stops the Saudis fro having a similar one with not just him but Raoila too? They just need a proven DOF to start with, Luis Campos has built to Championship winning teams on the cheap and he knows what a good player looks like so if they bring someone of ilk in then I can't see what will stop them.

The Mbappes and Haalands will happen in year three but right now there is enough young and experienced talent floating about to build a competitive team. They will be playing CL football in two to three years if they play their cards right imo.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I'm sure 99% will be delighted. What a sorry state of affairs. The type of thing that people will look back on and shake their head that it's allowed to happen.

Zen86

The absolute state of Newcastle fans outside waving Saudi flags. Already cringing at the mind bending justifications they steal from city fans to live with the fact that they aren't a football club anymore.
Give it ten years and a lot of the hardcore support will be quite indifferent to the club.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
"I understand that questions have to be asked about the human rights issues, it's really important that we don't brush them under the carpet," Shearer added.

"We have to educate ourselves on that and this will highlight that even more... but already they are massively invested in this country and other sports.

"It is a huge issue but it's not Newcastle United fans' fault - they don't get a say in their football club and how it's run."
Shearer.

well, if they cared enough about the human rights issues then they’d protest or kick up a fuss instead of wildly celebrating they have their club back.

RoyH1

So how long before Oman and Brunei come in and get their own little toy club?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
They will go after him no doubt.
Make him the best paid manager in the world. He deserves it. What's the point of buying the like of Pogba, if you have manager that doesn't know how to best use him.

Just don't mention Disneyland, or some sort.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I can see them going hard for someone like Salah maybe or Pogba, a statement signing with a bonus of being a muslim, however the poster I replied to was saying majority if not all of their signings will be muslim players, which I don't see happening.
Yeah, sorry think I was arguing a point you weren't even making. My apologies.
I don't believe Celtic ever had any sort of religious policy.
Yeah, that's was a poor assumption by me it went both ways.

Orton

Shearer.

well, if they cared enough about the human rights issues then they’d protest or kick up a fuss instead of wildly celebrating they have their club back.
Shearer is as deluded as the rest of them. He doesn’t give a feck. They will think they are gonna challenge for titles and sign big players (they will) so nothing else matters, for now.

Woodzy

Make him the best paid manager in the world. He deserves it. What's the point of buying the like of Pogba, if you have manager that doesn't know how to best use him.

Tbh, it's more like poundland.

steve.crowford

None of those players are going to Newcastle:lol:
Yes, but this one can be on easy
(GK)Diogo Costa
(RB)Noussair Mazraoui (CD)Niklas Süle (CD)Alessio Romagnoli (LB)Raphaël Guerreiro
(DM)Boubacar Kamara (CM)Isco
(RW)Gareth Bale (AM)Miguel Almirón (LW)Allan Saint-Maximin
(CF)Dusan Vlahovic

Giggsyking

I dont care, they are a small club whatever they do. They will never be as big or prestigious as our club.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It took Chelsea 2 years to win the league, City 4. Chelsea also got to the semi finals of the champions league the year before. The new owners made an instant impact. The only difference here is the season has begun and Newcastle are struggling near the bottom. There is no doubt that they will be looking to spend big in January and tighten the ship before going bonkers next summer.
Different starting points in fairness. The season before Roman took over, Chelsea finished 4th, we had the likes of Terry, Lampard, Gallas and Gudjohnsen in the first team.

Newcastle are in the bottom three and have zero players a top side would want.

It's a dark day for football.

Never mind yet another sportwashing franchise ready to pump billions into an already distorted market, this lot make the UAE and Qatar look like bastions of progression.

I can't wait to see Saudi Aramco on their shirts and 100m bids for the next Ben White.

Giggsyking

Shearer.

That is really disgusting by Shearar. I used to have som respect to him. No respect to him at all.

Orton

Different starting points in fairness. The season before Roman took over, Chelsea finished 4th, we had the likes of Terry, Lampard, Gallas and Gudjohnsen in the first team.

Newcastle are in the bottom three and have zero players a top side would want.
Whilst this is true, City we’re garbage before they were taken over and it took a couple more years. I remember Chelsea being a bogey side for us before Roman, hated playing them.

slyadams

They look devastated.

Yeah, would be brilliant.
Would be funny, but there's no chance now. It doesn't take a huge amount to make a side reasonably safe if they're on the border, in January they'll spend £80-100m on 4-5 players and be absolutely fine. It doesn't make sense to buy a PL club then see it relegated when you have almost unlimited funds. Its not depreciation that would bother them, it would be the impact to their plans timewise, a year in the championship and having to recruit from that position would be unacceptable.