Newcastle United now owned by the PIF | PL receives "legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control NUFC" ;)

edcunited1878

Need to make a note about the journos who have slated Newcastle or the like, and then they will be bent favoring Newcastle post-takeover.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Let's face it, literally nothing will happen for at least 8-10 years. For a start Newcastle are at the bottom of the league and 2 it took City almost 10 years and a bunch of mercenaries to get to where they are now. No need to panic just yet

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Under current PL FFP rules Newcastle wouldn’t be allowed to post a loss of over 110m (over 15m just means you’re under scrutiny by the PL) - this is what has limited Everton’s spending. Newcastle currently have a turnover of 170m. They aren’t going to be competing for Haaland and Mbappe for Christ sake.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Let's face it, literally nothing will happen for at least 8-10 years. For a start Newcastle are at the bottom of the league and 2 it took City almost 10 years and a bunch of mercenaries to get to where they are now. No need to panic just yet
I don't know, the sheikh took over city on transfer deadline day so didn't have time to do much that season. They finished 5th the season following their first full summer window and were in Europe. After their 2nd they'd cracked the CL places and won the FA Cup.

They weren't what they are now, but then they weren't nothing either. The impact was fairly fast sill. Would expect them (Newcastle) to at least be challenging for top 4 in 23/24 and in the Europa if they're serious, FFP permitting.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Increasingly worried it won’t happen in my lifetime. Wish I’d savoured the last few more :(
My sarcasm detector is off. Should we start worrying about you? We're only a top manager away from it being a realistic prospect.

Dr. StrangeHate

Under current PL FFP rules Newcastle wouldn’t be allowed to post a loss of over 110m (over 15m just means you’re under scrutiny by the PL) - this is what has limited Everton’s spending. Newcastle currently have a turnover of 170m. They aren’t going to be competing for Haaland and Mbappe for Christ sake.
Is that a thing then? Can't they just use fake sponsor ships or ask their friends in Raytheon for example to make a big sponsorship.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Announcement in December that the current FFP agreement is going to be ended and a review board will study a more effective system.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'm just curious, why Newcastle? I could understand why City was bought, they share the "Manchester" name with Man Utd, it's much better branding. And a bigger city than Newcastle.

In other words, I don't see the prestige in buying Newcastle?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'm just curious, why Newcastle? I could understand why City was bought, they share the "Manchester" name with Man Utd, it's much better branding. And a bigger city than Newcastle.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Imagine that bloke that punched a horse will be watching Haaland play for his club in a few years...

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Because they are much cheaper to buy. United would have set them back £2.5 - 3bn and still would have required massive investment in the team (and a new/renovated stadium). Newcastle will cost a small fraction of that, leaving plenty of money for shiny new players.
There was once a club called Man City who people said the exact same for....wonder what happened to them..
This is another situation completely. When City and Chelsea were bought, Pl wasn't strong as it is today. Not even close.
Today you have 4 top top teams. Levels above the rest of the league. Then you have 3 or 4 very good teams like Arsenal or Spurs.
So they did/will spend only 300 mil but what then? They can't buy world class players while they are not even in any Euro competition. So they need to spend 400-500 mil (they will need to overpay every player) on good players just to be even with Villa, Spurs, Leicester.
After then they will need to lure best players in the world to create a team for top 4. What best players will go there while they are not in CL and without big reputation? They will stay in a loop. Can't get in top 4 without best players and can't get best players without top 4.

I don't know. Buying Spurs or Arsenal seems much more logical. You pay much more in front but you have pretty good starting position.

shayanr

I didn't realise Everton were loaded too. So basically in a few years we're pretty much fecked.
You forgot to mention Aston Villa as well. They have been under the radar as their takeover happened when they were in the Championship. We are well and truly fecked. :(

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
This is another situation completely. When City and Chelsea were bought, Pl wasn't strong as it is today. Not even close.
Today you have 4 top top teams. Levels above the rest of the league. Then you have 3 or 4 very good teams like Arsenal or Spurs.
So they did/will spend only 300 mil but what then? They can't buy world class players while they are not even in any Euro competition. So they need to spend 400-500 mil (they will need to overpay every player) on good players just to be even with Villa, Spurs, Leicester.
After then they will need to lure best players in the world to create a team for top 4. What best players will go there while they are not in CL and without big reputation? They will stay in a loop. Can't get in top 4 without best players and can't get best players without top 4.

I don't know. Buying Spurs or Arsenal seems much more logical. You pay much more in front but you have pretty good starting position.
You’re trying to add logic to people who pay other people to wipe their arses for them… don’t bother.

MDFC Manager

£500m Saudi Aramco shirt sponsorship deal incoming...

The White Pele

There’s still a reason chance they get relegated this season. That would be interesting

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Is that a thing then? Can't they just use fake sponsor ships or ask their friends in Raytheon for example to make a big sponsorship.
The Everton owner has done that - obviously they’re worth far more but there’s a limit on what’s acceptable surely? It has to appear at least plausible. Another City under current FFP rules seems very unlikely to me. They got in just in time. Their spend will be similar to what we’ve seen from Everton and Villa I’d have thought.

The other thing I find odd is 3 months ago the Saudis pumped money into the ESL - it was a Saudi backed project - and that would have excluded the likes of Newcastle.

RedTiger

Half mast

Newcastle really does have a solid fanbase domestically as well abroad. They are the only club in the city and were pretty cheap to boot.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
My sarcasm detector is off. Should we start worrying about you? We're only a top manager away from it being a realistic prospect.
Top managers good enough to fend off oil clubs are very hard to find. Top managers good enough to fend off two oil clubs in the same league (as well as Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool) are even rarer. And with our track record of managerial hires, well…

Superden

I'm not in favour of the Saudi regime at all, but good for Newcastle. And it gives the the moneybags clubs something to think about im good for that too. As for players / agents its all about the moolah, so I doubt they'd have reservations abouts Newcastle league position etc

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Striker! Sweeper! Defender! Manager!
I know a guy who has all of 'em in mint condition.

Currently, that's easily...several hundred quid (I'm not joking).

Give it a few more years and Sweeper! will be in the Brighton Rock or The Hound of the Baskervilles 1st edition w/ dust jacket category.

Last edited:

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
There’s still a reason chance they get relegated this season. That would be interesting
Doubt the owners would care having to play in the Championship for one season, neither would the mercenaries that they will sign in the short to medium term.

ROFLUTION

A new state backed club to hate

Politicians, where are you when we need to protect history and culture? A historic club somehow will get pushed down the line due to these take overs. Could even be us, Liverpool that misses out on CL really. Imagine when there'll be 4 oil clubs getting all 4 spots.

stevoc

Another death knell for football. I suppose their fans are happy to be run by Saudi. How scary is that? I would rather quit football than have my club taken over by them.

And how on earth do they pass a fit and proper owner test?
Their fans have no shame.

Also it's a fit and proper brown envelope test.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Top managers good enough to fend off oil clubs are very hard to find. Top managers good enough to fend off two oil clubs in the same league (as well as Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool) are even rarer. And with our track record of managerial hires, well…
Klopp won't stay much longer at Liverpool, Pep is off in a year and a half, will the Saudis prepare the ground at Newcastle as well as Abu Dhabi did at City?

I don't know, I just think City weren't amazing prior to Pep, and still they had free money for Mancini and the rest. Liverpool are utterly dependent upon Klopp's strength of character, and he won't be there forever, and Chelsea showed that after Mourinho was sacked the first time around their money was no guarantee of success.

We'd be greatly aided by having new owners who would just allow the club to run itself (i.e. no money poured in, no money taken out) but even so, imagine what a manager who has a vision and coaching ability, and capable of getting great collective performances, can do with a club such as ours, where slowly but surely steps have been made to professionalise the way it works (in the footballing sense).

I suspect that if and when we get a top manager (who is also a top coach) we'll immediately fight for the title and win it within 2-3 years (being credible challengers throughout).

edit: hard to find, yes, but not impossible.

Chipper

Adulterer.
With FFP out of the way yeah I can see the PL becoming a Gulf State pissing contest soon enough.
I think Qatar were rumoured to be after Leeds at one point a couple of years ago. They could come back in for an English team if they fancied going directly head to head with Saudi Arabia instead of indirectly with PSG.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
They can’t spent that money. People are missing this point. The Everton owner is worth absolutely shed tons and wants to spend - he’s hampered by FFP despite inflating sponsorships. Newcastle will be no different. City happened just in time.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....everton-ffp-benitez-moshiri-news-21463858.amp
I don't know much about the Everton owner but didn't they have to operate on a tight budget because of loss of revenue from COVID?

Newcastle are a big club though, they only need to spend initially to get them to a certain level before it becomes sustainable to justify big sponsorships and whitewash their money through subsidiaries in the Saudi wealth fund. They also have a mad, success hungry fan base, so if they expand the stadium capacity, they can likely get a full house every week, unlike City.

The accountants are also smart enough to amortise any sponsorship deals and player fees over a longer duration of time. They could, for example, buy the naming rights to St. James' park for 50 years upfront.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I doubt to they'd be able to attract those types of players just yet. But yeah in the future, why not.
They could patronise, Raiola like the Wolves do with Mendes. Woodward flirted with him briefly for a summer and ended up with Ibrahimovic, Mkhitaryan and Pogba in one swoop.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
From here:
BBC News said:
Approval from the Premier League could possibly come in the next 24 hours after the consortium proved the Saudi state would not have control of the club.

Instead the Public Investment Fund (PIF), which is set to provide 80% of funds for the £300m deal, will be seen as separate to the state and therefore allow the takeover to pass the Premier League owners' and directors' test.

The Saudi Arabian state has been accused of human rights abuses, but with the majority owner PIF deemed a separate entity that is no longer an issue in the Premier League's view.

Ah, alright. So you just set up a shell company and human rights abuses don't count. Fair enough.