Newcastle United now owned by the PIF | PL receives "legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control NUFC" ;)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't know much about the Everton owner but didn't they have to operate on a tight budget because of loss of revenue from COVID?

Newcastle are a big club though, they only need to spend initially to get them to a certain level before it becomes sustainable to justify big sponsorships and whitewash their money through subsidiaries in the Saudi wealth fund. They also have a mad, success hungry fan base, so if they expand the stadium capacity, they can likely get a full house every week, unlike City.

The accountants are also smart enough to amortise any sponsorship deals and player fees over a longer duration of time. They could, for example, buy the naming rights to St. James' park for 50 years upfront.
Presumably the main appeal as a potential sportswashing project. They really are a sleeping giant, in a way that City and Chelsea never were.

clarkydaz

I'm not in favour of the Saudi regime at all, but good for Newcastle. And it gives the the moneybags clubs something to think about im good for that too. As for players / agents its all about the moolah, so I doubt they'd have reservations abouts Newcastle league position etc
Raiola will be all over them

Art

Art the artist
Probably sign Haaland and pay him 2m a week or something next season.

Lynty

I'm all for a more competitive league.

Dont agree with owners who continually breach human rights and fund a never ending cycle of war etc...but that ship sailed long ago

Deery

Dreary
Great, another state sponsored team to deal with 5 years and we’ll be fighting it out for 4th place if we’re lucky.

Dan_F

Let's face it, literally nothing will happen for at least 8-10 years. For a start Newcastle are at the bottom of the league and 2 it took City almost 10 years and a bunch of mercenaries to get to where they are now. No need to panic just yet
They were taken over in 2008 and won the league in 2012. I’m not sure why you think nothing will happen for 8-10 years.

Although the footballing side of things is really the least of the issues I have with it. I think I would really struggle with it if United got taken over by a state/group with a human rights record that bad.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I don't know much about the Everton owner but didn't they have to operate on a tight budget because of loss of revenue from COVID?

Newcastle are a big club though, they only need to spend initially to get them to a certain level before it becomes sustainable to justify big sponsorships and whitewash their money through subsidiaries in the Saudi wealth fund. They also have a mad, success hungry fan base, so if they expand the stadium capacity, they can likely get a full house every week, unlike City.

The accountants are also smart enough to amortise any sponsorship deals and player fees over a longer duration of time. They could, for example, buy the naming rights to St. James' park for 50 years upfront.
Nope. The PL is basing it on revenues with match day revenue included. They aren’t punishing clubs for COVID losses. What are Newcastle’s current sponsorships? Why could they suddenly justify deals rivalling ours? They aren’t a global brand at all. Sky PR aside are they actually much bigger than Sunderland for example? They may find a way to swindle it but I’m rather doubtful they could boost their revenue by the 400m to compete at the level people in here are talking. Mbappe and Haalands are very much off the menu for a decade at least you’d imagine.

FatTails

They’ll follow the city trajectory. First they’ll take players from big clubs who are big’ish names but not mainstays there anymore ([Irrelevant point]? Barkley? Mata? Lingard? Bailly? ). That will establish them in mid table and raise their profile. It will take them a few years before they are competing with City, Chelsea, and United for the top players.

Either way, the PL is kinda becoming ridiculous now. It already was but this makes it worse.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not good for football that clubs are used for sportswashing in this way and not good for us that we could have another big money competitor in a few years.

Glad it's not us that are being bought by these sort of owners but I'd be a hell of a lot more glad if we were viewing this from a stronger position ourselves.

rotherham_red

I'm not necessarily worried for us. We've shown we can compete with those around us, even with the Glazers pulling the handbrakes up every once in a while.

If I were a Liverpool fan though...

Ludens the Red

Been rumoured for a while though hasn't it?
There's probably been talks ongoing for months.
Yeah it has, broke down cos of the PL and all. It is still going to take a while to go through all the procedures and process for an agreement. The PL have to authorise it first too.

This is another situation completely. When City and Chelsea were bought, Pl wasn't strong as it is today. Not even close.
Today you have 4 top top teams. Levels above the rest of the league. Then you have 3 or 4 very good teams like Arsenal or Spurs.

So they did/will spend only 300 mil but what then? They can't buy world class players while they are not even in any Euro competition. So they need to spend 400-500 mil (they will need to overpay every player) on good players just to be even with Villa, Spurs, Leicester.
After then they will need to lure best players in the world to create a team for top 4. What best players will go there while they are not in CL and without big reputation? They will stay in a loop. Can't get in top 4 without best players and can't get best players without top 4.

I don't know. Buying Spurs or Arsenal seems much more logical. You pay much more in front but you have pretty good starting position.
Like between 2004 and 2009 when you had the top four teams levels above everyone else ? Did have a chuckle as well at you describing Arsenal and Spurs as very good teams. I always think a good measure of how strong the top tier teams are in a league is by CL performance. Between 2004 and 2009 the top four in England appeared in every single CL final bar 2004 and multiple semi finals. I don't think the current top tier teams in the PL have maintained such a success rate. I mean we've finished in the top four 2 years in a row and either can't even get out the group stage or make a massive struggle out of it.
I'm not sure Spurs and Arsenal's 'starting position' is that strong either. I mean David Moyes' West Ham just finished above them with journeymen players. Leicester overtook them fairly comfortable too. I dont think a club backed by billions would have much of an issue overtaking Spurs and Arsenal. Newcastle have the name, ground and fanbase too.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yeah it has, broke down cos of the PL and all. It is still going to take a while to go through all the procedures and process for an agreement. The PL have to authorise it first too.

Like between 2004 and 2009 when you had the top four teams levels above everyone else ? Did have a chuckle as well at you describing Arsenal and Spurs as very good teams. I always think a good measure of how strong the top tier teams are in a league is by CL performance. Between 2004 and 2009 the top four in England appeared in every single CL final bar 2004 and multiple semi finals. I don't think the current top tier teams in the PL have maintained such a success rate. I mean we've finished in the top four 2 years in a row and either can't even get out the group stage or make a massive struggle out of it.
I'm not sure Spurs and Arsenal's 'starting position' is that strong either. I mean David Moyes' West Ham just finished above them with journeymen players. Leicester overtook them fairly comfortable too. I dont think a club backed by billions would have much of an issue overtaking Spurs and Arsenal. Newcastle have the name, ground and fanbase too.
Does the Spotify guy have enough money to make Arsenal a danger or will he be looking at this and just think it would be ploughing money in for nothing?

Delano

Torn on this. If any club deserves some form of joy, it's Newcastle United. A one city club, massive fan base and they've spent the last 10 years with an owner who has absolute disdain for them. The life has been sucked from the club and it'd be great if they were competitive again.

However, you cannot ignore the history of those buying them. Its a club washing project and that's the reality.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
is ole the man to fight for 4th place behind the oil clubs?

Lastwolf

Nope. The PL is basing it on revenues with match day revenue included. They aren’t punishing clubs for COVID losses. What are Newcastle’s current sponsorships? Why could they suddenly justify deals rivalling ours? They aren’t a global brand at all. Sky PR aside are they actually much bigger than Sunderland for example? They may find a way to swindle it but I’m rather doubtful they could boost their revenue by the 400m to compete at the level people in here are talking. Mbappe and Haalands are very much off the menu for a decade at least you’d imagine.
You don't have to justify anything, City proved that, just take them to court, there's a legal framework of how to do it. Just drag out the process long enough than the statute expires and you even pretend you didn't do anything wrong, whilst boast about admitting that you did.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I wonder now will they pick up the likes of Rice Raphinia Vlahovic etc. Put together a really well scouted young team with money as no object. It’ll be interesting to watch develop anyway. Hopefully they want to take our rejects for a year or two!

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
You don't have to justify anything, City proved that, just take them to court, there's a legal framework of how to do it. Just drag out the process long enough than the statute expires and you even pretend you didn't do anything wrong, whilst boast about admitting that you did.
Take who to court? The PL and City are currently in a legal battle about this very thing. This isn’t about UEFA - it’s about PL FFP rules.

macheda14

:lol: :lol: so many people losing their crap because they are scared of Newcastle!!

Bring on another oil club I say.

It'll take them ten years before they are even remotely challenging for anything.
How long did it take city? 4/5 years to start challenging?

We still spend a huge amount as well. I think a Klopp like manager would still see us in there even with their wealth.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Remember when everyone was readying themselves for QPR to be the next power?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Mbappe and Pogba are free agents, Haaland has a release clause at 75M. Getting all three in one window isn't particularly expensive if they can work with their agents and give them a high enough salary that the jaw hits the floor.

The White Pele

I wonder if they go for a seasoned top manager or for a big name like Gerrard/Lampard.

It will be fun to watch for a while until the inevitable happens after a few years.

FatTails

Arrogant of you to assume his head won’t be turned by the title winning project in the North East. We might struggle to hold on to him.

Dve

Really wish the trend of oil money clubs would just go away.
Well, eventually their oil will be close to worthless, and then City will be back in the championship where they belong. The year of 2036, when we have a breakthrough in fusion technology.

Edit: Unless they can finance it by corruption, alone, of course. Like Thaksin.

R'hllor

If their fan base dont mind those potential owners, then good for them, imagine being powerless against someone like that cnut MA. Also some should stop pretend like our and Arsenal owners sleep under the bridge or some shit like that.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
haaland is not going to join us if he can get 200k an hour plus all the geordie pickled herring he can throw his lutefisk at.

United in sin

I'm just curious, why Newcastle? I could understand why City was bought, they share the "Manchester" name with Man Utd, it's much better branding. And a bigger city than Newcastle.

In other words, I don't see the prestige in buying Newcastle?

Newcastle utd is a club rich in history and they have one of the biggest stadiums in English football with a great atmosphere. Let's not forget they were the biggest spenders in the PL in the 90s. They tick a lot of boxes for investers

Kaos

If their fan base dont mind those potential owners, then good for them, imagine being powerless against someone like that cnut MA. Also some should stop pretend like our and Arsenal owners sleep under the bridge or some shit like that.
Difference is our owners are parasites who haven't invested a cent of their own money into the club. They've just milked it for themselves.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Club football is a farce and it's getting worse. The whole thing needs nuking and starting again. This time with better rules and regs.

I'm not a big fan of international football, but at least i can watch that without having to think about this shit.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I don't know how you could not care about these owners. They make MA look like a saint.

GeorgieBoy

What a sad indictment on the game that it was the the TV rights being pirated that was holding the deal being completed rather than the myriad of human rights violations...

Be very funny if they went down. Very possible this year also.

Classical Mechanic

Population of surrounding urban area, transport links, airport, size of economy, universities, etc etc. The cities are on different scales.
I didn’t say it was on the scale of Greater Manchester but it’s already cited as one of the best Cities to live in and visit in the UK, it has an RG university, an international airport but most importantly it has relatively cheap land and property. There’s plenty of scope for Saudi Arabia to do something similar to Abu Dhabi there, at least in my opinion.

Thats not to say they will, it remains to be seen what kind of owners they will be.