Newcastle United now owned by the PIF | PL receives "legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control NUFC" ;)

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
PIF will be minority stake holders and that's why this will pass the fit and proper test according to Times

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Can't wait for City fans to start complaining about how unfair it is and how FFP should look into newcastle's future commercial deals. Football was long fecked, I could care less if another oil team is added to the league. Truthfully the super league was the only way the traditionally top teams were ever going to keep their place at the top.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Why does the current wage budget matter? They'll just give out some lucrative sponsorship contracts from Saudi companies. Say Aramco sponsors their jersey for a 1bn dollar 10 year deal with majority of the money upfront or something like that and you're set.

This is on top of the money owners are legally allowed to invest by FFP standards.

It's all standard procedure, FFP might as well not exist for the clubs.
That won’t happen. Not at that scale anyway. The other 19 clubs won’t allow it to happen as it’s in none of their interests. And no - the owner isn’t allowed to pump money into the club for transfers and wages - only infrastructure.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Football is morally bankrupt. I hope this at least has City fans that worship their own human rights abusers worried.

Cloud7

At least it's not Arsenal. Arsenal fans are already the most annoying fans of all the PL clubs when their club is crap. I'd hate to have to interact with them if they became good again.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Combined even, if I'm not mistaken
By a distance too, from the charts I’ve seen. Question is how much they will actually want to invest over there. Probably a very small percentage of their wealth, which could still be way too much.

EtH

Football is morally bankrupt. I hope this at least has City fans that worship their own human rights abusers worried.
From 2025 the PL a two-horse race between Citeh and the Barcodes.

You couldn’t make it up.

Brophs

The One and Only
This is really going to affect the sales of Slazenger football shorts.

djembatheking

I can`t see it affecting United too much, will make top 4 a bit more difficult but it will cause the teams fighting for the title more problems.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
they have gotten huge results against the big six. dont know what you’re talking about.
One off results can happen any time.

If they decided to up the ante and carry on investing until they were challenging for the big two, all of a sudden the 'neutral' feeling towards them would hit a slightly different tone.

peridigm

So, do you think they'll make a couple of seasons of weird signings like City did or will they go straight to the top and sign Mbappe?

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Should be a sight to see with bin Salman amongst the crowd bare chested on a Tuesday night.

Seriously though if you have suffered like Newcastle fans have with Ashley in charge then any kind of improvement would be great for them. Sometimes you just don’t want to be involved in politics and you want to see your team challenging on a Saturday afternoon.

lsd

The Oracle
No they won’t. Why is everyone saying this? It is not in the interests of the other 19 clubs to allow Newcastle to break the rules at a time when wage inflation is a genuine concern.
The guy chopped a journalist to pieces. He is not going to be put off by Arsene Wenger telling him he cannot buy Neymar for 300 million

FatTails

So, do you think they'll make a couple of seasons of weird signings like City did or will they go straight to the top and sign Mbappe?
They have to go through some older established names who are out of favour at the big clubs, and promising youngsters on the cheap, establish themselves in the top 10 and raise their profile as a club.

It will take 5 years at least before we see them going after the big big transfers.

Teja

That won’t happen. Not at that scale anyway. The other 19 clubs won’t allow it to happen as it’s in none of their interests. And no - the owner isn’t allowed to pump money into the club for transfers and wages - only infrastructure.
Let's wait and see then. The clubs can do feckall about it and it's in the PL's interest to have the best clubs in the world in England.

It doesn't matter if it's unfair to the existing clubs, all the league cares about is being top dog (at least in terms of TV rights / viewership numbers), milking the top four drama, playing the big club in decline narrative etc. and they'll be more than happy to go along.

It's just an exercise in narrative / media management at that point. You can't get too rich too quickly, so I assume this will take 4-5 years to play out but it's almost guaranteed that Newcastle will be a top four club, challenging for the title in 5 years.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Weird, although not that weird. I just don't think they could get the very best right away. Still some very good ones though.

Think the Chinese spending has stopped so the type of players they could get, or perhaps some of the Russian clubs when they've spent big (Hulk, Willian, Witsel).

stevoc

I think Qatar were rumoured to be after Leeds at one point a couple of years ago. They could come back in for an English team if they fancied going directly head to head with Saudi Arabia instead of indirectly with PSG.
They wanted United too back in 2011 before they settled on PSG.

The Purley King

FFP is a fecking pisstake.
You think these guys have worse lawyers than city? City have got away with it for a decade and more no way will it be any different this time.
In a weird way I’m curious as to what will happen when it goes ahead.
One more English club in the super league :)

RedDevil@84

FFP is a fecking pisstake.
You think these guys have worse lawyers than city? City have got away with it for a decade and more no way will it be any different this time.
In a weird way I’m curious as to what will happen when it goes ahead.
One more English club in the super league :)
Not one more. They take Spurs spot.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Ciro Immobile revealed when it looked like they were going to take over originally they contacted his agent to be their first marquee signing, and there was that weird 35m for Soumare that fizzled into nothing before they announced the takeover was officially off. I think they'd build up like City did, Dzeko, Balotelli, Tevez, Silva types add a few homegrown potentials to build around ASM who they need to keep hold of.

shayanr

One off results can happen any time.

If they decided to up the ante and carry on investing until they were challenging for the big two, all of a sudden the 'neutral' feeling towards them would hit a slightly different tone.
Except its not one off results. Beat Arsenal twice last season. Beat Chelsea once drawn once. Beat Liverpool and Spurs once. 5 wins and 1 draw in 1 season. And this season they’ve already gotten a win against us. The only team they haven’t gotten anything from is Man City thus far. Dont forget they were pushing for Europe before Grealish got injured midway thru last season.

But yes i do agree, if they keep investing on their squad they’ve got a big chance in 2-3 years.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Should be a sight to see with bin Salman amongst the crowd bare chested on a Tuesday night.

Seriously though if you have suffered like Newcastle fans have with Ashley in charge then any kind of improvement would be great for them. Sometimes you just don’t want to be involved in politics and you want to see your team challenging on a Saturday afternoon.
A rather cowardly way to live life. I'm not sure how it's possible to turn a blind eye to those owners.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It took City four, if were talking about the league title. Three when they broke into the top four and FA cup.
There's a lot more depth at the top of the league now then back then, it'll take twice as long to emit the same dominance as City now.

Brophs

The One and Only
probably means we get more petrol though. shades of grey an’ all that.
Probably just use it to drive to Sports Direct for more of those sweet, sweet '7 pairs of shorts for £12' deals.

The Purley King

It’s the perfect club for them to buy really.
Big stadium already, one club city, large ‘legacy’ fan base.
It’s all primed for a huge cash injection and a £500m 5 year naming rights deal for St James’s Park.
We all know how this ends. 2-4 years getting the right players and manager in. Established top4 after that period and then pretend it all just happened normally.
At least they won’t have the indignity of failing to sell out the stadium like city……,,,,