Newcastle United now owned by the PIF | PL receives "legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control NUFC" ;)

Highfather_24

There are much easier ways to launder their reputation. That has always been a silly argument. For every convert to the House of Saud's ways there'll be 10 fans suddenly turned foreign policy critic of the regime. If bad publicity is bad, they were better off avoiding the spotlight and going about business as usual with the UK government (who's citizens en masse didn't give a feck about such relations, conveniently until they bought a football club)
Good point.

SeeMe

Supports
Porto
FFP is basically no use for rich clubs, all FIFA and UEFA wanted is money, pay fine go into their pocket everything fine.

People do not complain when American owners buy clubs, take back all the profit back to their countries limited clubs spending and they called it as healthy style of management.

Whereas Arab oil money clubs, they spent their own money, buy luxury players, fans do not need to pay a penny, I do not see any problem at all.

It is not their problem to be rich, EPL need to control it well.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I'm certainly more open to it than I was last year. The reality is there will be more state owned clubs popping up in the future and a super league will likely be the last resort for some clubs to stay afloat.
As long as they scrap away the huge privileges founding members have (no relegation), I would be for it. At this type, I'm like "what the hell..."

passtheball

Apart from the quite serious moral dimensions of this move, this is a disaster for Manchester United for the following reasons:

1. One more club in the market for the upper tier of players.
2. Transfer fees and wages are going to see another exponential increase. The likes of Martial will be on 400k a week. Unless the Glazers sell us, we are not going to be able to compete to sign great/elite players.
3. Newcastle will establish themselves in the top 4 in 3 to 4 years. That's 4 clubs that will be run better than us and with better managers: City, Chelsea, Newcastle, Liverpool. They are only interested in one thing: winning trophies (not in managing expectations on social media unlike us).

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
bye bye football.
I'm out
That’s my feeling. It gives me hope to hear someone say something principled. Challenges me. Even if it’s only half a dozen in here who have decency, that’s a cause to celebrate. Crlebrate? Newcastle supporters club is celebrating, I had a soft(ish) spot for the Geordies. From now on, to me, they are Newcastle Dismembered.

Handsome Devil

That’s my feeling. It gives me hope to hear someone say something principled. Challenges me. Even if it’s only half a dozen in here who have decency, that’s a cause to celebrate. Crlebrate? Newcastle supporters club is celebrating, I had a soft(ish) spot for the Geordies. From now on, to me, they are Newcastle Dismembered.
Only football fans could perform mental gymnastics and make out a creep like Ashley to be more evil than a despotic medieval regime. The Premiership may not yet be totally rotten but it sure as hell smells that way. Kind of had enough now.

Giggsyking

The Saudis apparently paid 1 billion, 1 fecking billion just to resolve the piracy issue with Bein sports to buy Newcastle, they are not going to joke about transfers and that is going to damage us however we want to look at it. Our only hope is that we can win big trophies in the next 2-3 years so we can still be a big fish for top players, becuase in 3 years time Newcastle will go after players we go after.

matt10000

Only football fans could perform mental gymnastics and make out a creep like Ashley to be more evil than a despotic medieval regime.
Haha yes, if you didn’t watch football focus yesterday, have a watch on bbci player at 3.07 three minutes 7 seconds in, listen to what the Newcastle fan says “Mike Ashley he’s ran a tyranny at this club”.

Last edited:

Judas

Open to offers
Maybe because we're not seeing any impact from it yet on the pitch, but I'm struggling to worry or get upset about this and what it means for us. Yeah its obviously not good for us or the league in general, but it was bound to happen sooner or later, and football is just becoming more and more hollow.

Duane Dibley

Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
The hypocrisy and selective outrage from United fans is actually getting funnier if that were at all possible.

The Saudi takeover of Newcastle is only the natural progression of the globalisation of the Premier League over the last thirty odd years, nothing more and not particularly surprising, and just who were the prime movers behind that globalisation I wonder.

I don't remember any United fans complaining about Ed Woodward signing sponsorship deals in whichever country with no footballing history was flavour of the month or the pre-season tours of China or America or wherever, just as long as you could sign Paul Pogba or the latest Instagram superstar.

Maybe if the 99.9% of you with no connection whatsoever to Manchester had actually started supporting your local team rather than the team which just coincidentally happened to be the richest and most successful on the planet then none of this would have happened, who knows.

But if you're really looking for someone to blame for wealthy oligarchs or nation states, however reprehensible, taking over English football clubs as opposed to what just comes across to the rest of us as a rather salty kind of jealousy, then a bit of self-awareness wouldn't go amiss.

Just saying.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The hypocrisy and selective outrage from United fans is actually getting funnier if that were at all possible.

The Saudi takeover of Newcastle is only the natural progression of the globalisation of the Premier League over the last thirty odd years, nothing more and not particularly surprising, and just who were the prime movers behind that globalisation I wonder.

I don't remember any United fans complaining about Ed Woodward signing sponsorship deals in whichever country with no footballing history was flavour of the month or the pre-season tours of China or America or wherever, just as long as you could sign Paul Pogba or the latest Instagram superstar.

Maybe if the 99.9% of you with no connection whatsoever to Manchester had actually started supporting your local team rather than the team which just coincidentally happened to be the richest and most successful on the planet then none of this would have happened, who knows.

But if you're really looking for someone to blame for wealthy oligarchs or nation states, however reprehensible, taking over English football clubs as opposed to what just comes across to the rest of us as a rather salty kind of jealousy, then a bit of self-awareness wouldn't go amiss.

Just saying.
Train wreck of a post.

first of all, you may not have noticed that a lot of people don’t like this move not because of money but because of the human rights incidents that they have sanctioned and carried out. It’s ok to let people who commit murder of journalists but clubs now?

secondly what’s wrong with signing marketing deals? I give no apology for people being good at their job. We increase our revenue which means we can spend more if owners agree. Well done is for staying within the rules of FFP is what you should be saying in your misguided rant.

thirdly in case you haven’t noticed we all hate our current owners

oh and jog off with your local fans shite. What do you think is gonna happen with Newcastle? There’s suddenly going to be a load of Newcastle fans who probably don’t know where it is

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I wonder if EPL clubs were pushing for Super League in part because they knew this was coming?

Either option depressing and spoils what's great about football.

Only positive, is there anyone as wealthy/state-driven-agenda who can step in? Or is this the worst it gets?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I wonder if EPL clubs were pushing for Super League in part because they knew this was coming?

Either option depressing and spoils what's great about football.

Only positive, is there anyone as wealthy/state-driven-agenda who can step in? Or is this the worst it gets?
The government are supposedly looking into clubs being taken over due to controversy of this takeover. Just wait it will be us who have a problem when some mega billionaire tries to take us over.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The government are supposedly looking into clubs being taken over due to controversy of this takeover. Just wait it will be us who have a problem when some mega billionaire tries to take us over.
Funny they speed it up now with all the noise AFTER the most controversial takeover. It’s just PR, meaningless words

fergosaurus

Just saying.
So much bitterness towards United fans from someone who supports a League One club. The majority of the forum voted that they would rather keep the Glazers than see a Saudi takeover at United so I'm not seeing the hypocrisy.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'm still surprised the Saudis, who are bigger top dogs than Qatar and UAE, didn't go for a London club.

RooneyLegend

Apart from the quite serious moral dimensions of this move, this is a disaster for Manchester United for the following reasons:

2. Transfer fees and wages are going to see another exponential increase. The likes of Martial will be on 400k a week. Unless the Glazers sell us, we are not going to be able to compete to sign great/elite players.
3. Newcastle will establish themselves in the top 4 in 3 to 4 years. That's 4 clubs that will be run better than us and with better managers: City, Chelsea, Newcastle, Liverpool. They are only interested in one thing: winning trophies (not in managing expectations on social media unlike us).
Why would you worry about us? Don't we have the 2nd most expensive squad in the world?

AndySmith1990

Why would you worry about us? Don't we have the 2nd most expensive squad in the world?
Indeed. We have the resources and the stature to attract the best players in the world. We've even beaten City to several signings over the years despite their wealth. However there's an obvious and glaring weakness that's holding us back, which I expect is what invokes so much of the worry and defeatism we're seeing in this thread.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
There is non league
I'll follow a lower league or league of Ireland.
Something that means something

I really don't care anymore. United is a soulless corporate machine churning out nostalgia as propaganda to illicit feelings of connection and loyalty. All to get you to spend money so they can pull cash from their business. (Which they are bloody good at)

Now the PL has basically said money talks..we all knew it but now it's official.

Think back to 20 years ago when the matches were for supporters and the players cared for their clubs.

It's done now.

Getting into bed with murderous regimes just to win trophies! feck off.
I know Newcastle fans were suffering under Ashley but now their soul is black.

rotherham_red

Disagree on point three.

We earn enough to be competitive with the state backed clubs, and that's even with the Glazers pulling up the handbrakes from time to time.

If there is one club that should be worried, it's Liverpool. They don't earn as much as Utd. All their success is predicated upon Klopp staying and turning water into wine, by buying players for relatively low prices and then selling the best ones at high prices. They have an ageing squad that is in need of a revamp and because of COVID, they haven't been able to sell their big hitters and reinvest. FSG don't release the funds and are even more parsimonious than the Glazers, and their data-driven approach is now being implemented across the big six, so that USP they had is now increasingly going to be less and less prominent.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

Just saying.
Must be fun being such a bitter person. :lol:

Tacitus56AD

Supports
Bayern Munich

No it is not. You chose a setting where something like this was not just enabled but in the end encouraged. If you had 50+1 no fan would have to worry about tyrannical states buying their club. And don`t tell me selling your soul is necessary to go "global".

RooneyLegend

Like Abu Ghraib or say Guantanamo? or many of the their human rights outrages carried out by britain and its allies over the last decade?
Im no fan of MBS or his regime, but find the moralising about what happens under his watch a bit rich when its coming from britain, which created the Kingdom for its own ends and has supported it ever since.
All billionaires by virtue of being ruthless ultra capitalists or despotic leaders are scumbags. Most premier league clubs are now owned or indirectly supported by a billionaire.
I know hey, it's like the war in Iraq didn't even happen given the holier than thou attitude of some in here.

passtheball

Disagree on point three.

We earn enough to be competitive with the state backed clubs, and that's even with the Glazers pulling up the handbrakes from time to time.

If there is one club that should be worried, it's Liverpool. They don't earn as much as Utd. All their success is predicated upon Klopp staying and turning water into wine, by buying players for relatively low prices and then selling the best ones at high prices. They have an ageing squad that is in need of a revamp and because of COVID, they haven't been able to sell their big hitters and reinvest. FSG don't release the funds and are even more parsimonious than the Glazers, and their data-driven approach is now being implemented across the big six, so that USP they had is now increasingly going to be less and less prominent.
Perhaps that will be the case but our data-driven approach hasn't been proved in the market yet; a club needs to have some football-wisdom to use that data effectively and at the moment at least, Liverpool are far better in that regard than us.

Yes, and it's managed by an average manager and average coaches who don't seem to know what to do with it. And the higher-ups don't seem to care about that incompetence.

Fingeredmouse

I know hey, it's like the war in Iraq didn't even happen given the holier than thou attitude of some in here.
Ok. Help me out here.

Having concerns about Newcastle being owned by an oppressive theocratic state is a "holier than thou" attitude because of the Iraq war and Anglo American foreign policy?

George the Cat

Just saying.
This is why I love being an MUFC fan., delicious. Should be wumming on a Blades forum but on here getting all bitter. MUFC, hated, adored, never ignored…….

Marwood

Just saying.
Are you really saying United are to blame for other clubs choosing to sell out to murderous regimes?

Fingeredmouse

Just saying.
Daune: you have impressive cojones to end a sanctimonious vomit of a post like that discussing self awareness. That level of irony might be fatal.