Newcastle United now owned by the PIF | PL receives "legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control NUFC" ;)

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
What's happened to @padzilla ? He used to be a good poster, knowledgeable and patient. Hope he's still ok and healthy. :(

:p Seriously though, it's no surprise people are winding up their interest in football in 5/10 years time. Lots of discussions popping up. The good news is local (lower league) football will benefit greatly by the influx of new supporters in a decade's time.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
What's happened to @padzilla ? He used to be a good poster, knowledgeable and patient. Hope he's still ok and healthy. :(

:p Seriously though, it's no surprise people are winding up their interest in football in 5/10 years time. Lots of discussions popping up. The good news is local (lower league) football will benefit greatly by the influx of new supporters in a decade's time.
People said the same when the Premier League started, when Blackburn started spunking loads, when Chelsea and then Man City spunked even more.

Football fans are mosty do-nothing wingebags.

padzilla

Hipster
People said the same when the Premier League started, when Blackburn started spunking loads, when Chelsea and then Man City spunked even more.

Football fans are mosty do-nothing wingebags.
I don't think it's fair to compare Blackburn, that was bought by a local fan who happened to be able to pump millions into them to transform their fortunes, to a sportswashing project by a regime intent on legitimising it's abhorrent practices that have cost countless lives already.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I don't think it's fair to compare Blackburn, that was bought by a local fan who happened to be able to pump millions into them to transform their fortunes, to a sportswashing project by a regime intent on legitimising it's abhorrent practices that have cost countless lives already.
I'm not comparing the owners, I'm comparing the fan's reactions to rich owners. I remember tons of people saying Blackburn were ruining football.

TOPREDIAMNOT

Well i think footballs bigger worry is the state of the world.

Fuel, food and heating prices shooting up and about to get a lot higher what will give? Luxury spending. You think how % of people with £2,800 energy bills, Petrol now at £60+ week can afford to go to matches? That will be a sacrafice. You have people now barely scraping bye and players moaning that can't exist on just £150k+ a week....leaves a good taste in people's mouths?

Football is in for a big shock soon. We are nearing a "let them eat cake instead.." moment

" I'm not comparing the owners, I'm comparing the fan's reactions to rich owners. I remember tons of people saying Blackburn were ruining football. "
The difference is we were not hit with famine, scarcity and war at the same time!

DownRiver

New and quite serious developments that could mean the ousting of PIF.

Newcastle can easily just swap him around with someone else.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
How funny would it be if LIV Golf completely decked Newcastle.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
Why agree to the PL terms - under penalty of disownership - one year and then turn around and declare the opposite in a US case a year later? I'm sure their PL assurances leave room for (plausible lol) interpretation around "involvement", "acting capacity" etc.

As if the PL care
But also this, at the end of the day.

SuperiorXI

The whole "Saudi government can't own Newcastle" rule the PL came up with was nothing but a sham from the start. Every man and his dog knows who runs that club, there's no doubt about that. Worst kept secret in football if it's even that.

UpWithRivers

Why agree to the PL terms - under penalty of disownership - one year and then turn around and declare the opposite in a US case a year later? I'm sure their PL assurances leave room for (plausible lol) interpretation around "involvement", "acting capacity" etc.

But also this, at the end of the day.
Because they don't actually give a sht. They signed the legally binding assurances just to get the club. They arnt actually going to stand by the agreement. Just like City dont really abide by the rules or PSG. What are they going to do? Few mill fine? Thats like a parking ticket. If they try get rid of them then they will have a 5 year court battle against the top lawyers in the world + as much influence they can generate through bribery etc. Its not worth the paper its written on

Infra-red

The key part:

Peter Frankental, Amnesty International's UK economic affairs director: "The Premier League will surely need to re-examine the assurances made about the non-involvement of the Saudi authorities in the Newcastle deal, not least as there's still a Qatari bid for Manchester United currently on the table."

The takeover was only approved in October 2021 after the Premier League received "legally binding assurances" that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia would not have any control over the club.

The dispute had centred over who would have controlling influence of Newcastle, and would therefore be subject to the league's owners' and directors' test.

Premier League chief executive Richard Masters told the BBC in November 2021 that if his organisation found evidence there was state involvement in the running of Newcastle "we can remove the consortium as owners of the club".

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
PL officials, like 99% of suits in position of power, only care about money, they will find a way to dismiss the case and "nothing happened here".

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Premier League chief executive Richard Masters told the BBC in November 2021 that if his organisation found evidence there was state involvement in the running of Newcastle "we can remove the consortium as owners of the club".
How they plan to this without messing up all the economic trades between Saudi Arabia and UK?

Lee565

They knew that the state had control already but decided to play dumb because premier league is all consumed by greed

Infra-red

How they plan to this without messing up all the economic trades between Saudi Arabia and UK?
Trade between the UK and Saudi Arabia has increased since Brexit and they are now our 24th biggest trading partner - I don't think that is predicated on them owning a Premier League football club, though.

That being said, I don't really expect this to come to anything, but it might give the Qataris pause for thought in their pursuit of United, especially with a new football regulator looming on the horizon.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Beyond the typical morality and ethical issues that go with dictatorships...there is the issue of fairness. Westerners cannot just buy any property they want to in Qatar and S.A. S.A is very restrictive over what and where you want to buy it. Qatar is slightly better but you would not be able to buy an iconic landmark property there either.

These countries are not traditional allies either. I would seriously question whether they are allies at all. One event can change the diplomatic position from tenuous to terrible. If an American, Canadian, Australian...or even French Spanish, Japanese or S Korean wants to buy a club I have far less reservations. Even if we have seen conflicts with these countries we have established long lasting diplomatic ties with them and they are democracies. The fact that the nations of SA and Qatar not individuals are looking to buy should get all the alarm bells ringing.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Sportswashing will eventually become unacceptable—it’s to do with inflation the Tories, the desire to pull back from populism and the resurgence of ‘normal’ politics. Watch this space for the ritual gutting of certain ‘special interests’

padr81

Supports
Man City
The whole "Saudi government can't own Newcastle" rule the PL came up with was nothing but a sham from the start. Every man and his dog knows who runs that club, there's no doubt about that. Worst kept secret in football if it's even that.
I dunno, not many worse kept secrets than our books

jm99

Have they set a specific date yet for the 5/10 years time stop bein interested in football ceremony?

OldSchoolManc

Sportswashing will eventually become unacceptable—it’s to do with inflation the Tories, the desire to pull back from populism and the resurgence of ‘normal’ politics. Watch this space for the ritual gutting of certain ‘special interests’
It really was unacceptable from the start. It’s nothing more than state sponsored money laundering. Every man and his dog knows that City are a joke of a club that do nothing more than try to make their owners more palatable.
Not that the Glazers are any better as an owner. They have simply bled an English institution dry, right before any ruling bodies eyes.
The people in charge of the national game and the government are a disgrace to the ‘working man’s’ game.
They couldn’t give a flying one while they are raking money in themselves.
Capitalism and greed has destroyed any resemblance of competition or fairness.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Have they set a specific date yet for the 5/10 years time stop bein interested in football ceremony?
I vastly, and naively, included Man Utd fans in this fight. So no, there's no date. Though I'll be gone as soon as Liverpool turn to blood money. Unfortunately I too will be in the minority of Liverpool fans. :(

jm99

I vastly, and naively, included Man Utd fans in this fight. So no, there's no date. Though I'll be gone as soon as Liverpool turn to blood money. Unfortunately I too will be in the minority of Liverpool fans. :(
I was just joking cos I think it's unwise to make predictions about what will happen in 5 or 10 years time. Football is more popular than ever at the top level, maybe less die hard support but far more people watching it, maybe that will stop being true in 5 or 10 years time but I highly doubt it

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
PL officials, like 99% of suits in position of power, only care about money, they will find a way to dismiss the case and "nothing happened here".
They maybe but they are also accountable to the rest of the PL clubs who may not fin it acceptable to go along

frostbite

Relegate them!

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...league-newcastle-owners-us-court-case-amnesty

Angry Premier League clubs to demand talks over Newcastle ownership

Premier League clubs have reacted with anger and a demand for clarity after Newcastle’s chairman, Yasir al-Rumayyan, was described in a US court document as “a sitting minister of the Saudi government”. It has led to Amnesty International calling for the league to re-examine the assurances given by Newcastle’s owners that the Saudi state would not have control of the club.

When the league approved the Newcastle takeover, it said it did so after receiving “legally binding assurances” that the Saudi state would not have control of the club.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

The Premier League’s chief executive, Richard Masters, has refused to confirm whether it is investigating Newcastle United’s Saudi Arabian ownership.

A number of clubs have asked the Premier League for clarification over who owns the North East club after disclosures in a court case in the United States involving the Saudi-owned LIV Golf.

The league allowed the 2021 takeover by the Saudi public investment fund (PIF) on the basis that it had received “legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control Newcastle”. But documents submitted to a US court on behalf of the PIF earlier this month say that it should be regarded as “a foreign state”, and that it and Newcastle’s chairman Yasir Al-Rumayyan — who also runs LIV — “are not ordinary third parties . . . they are a sovereign instrumentality of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and a sitting minister of the Saudi government”.

Blood Mage

Kinda boils my piss to see them being gifted a CL springboard so soon but oh well. They'll be lively in the transfer market this summer.