Newcastle United sign Alexander Isak from Real Sociedad for €70m rising to €75m

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No, they always were going to spend big just didn’t want to make it blindly obvious of sports washing.
My point was that this would be the narrative with a United (Manchester) signing.

Deery

Dreary
My point was that this would be the narrative with a United (Manchester) signing.
Probably would but when you are that rich who cares right, will be seen as a coup for the plucky underdog.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
70M for a guy who has yet to score 20 goals In a season.

Modern football has gone full FIFA with these absurd fees.

Deery

Dreary
This is a good time to remind everyone Newcastle are over 10x richer that City, 10x. Blows my mind that or pisses me off not really sure.

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
Is FFP the reason they have not just gone all in on the transfer market?
Yup, plan probably is to finish in the Europa places, manufacture some self sponsored sponsorship deals, increase revenue then drop 100 mil on Saka.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
By most accounts we had ~ 200m in spending room after 20-21 under FFP due to Ashley's tight grip on finances (cheers mike) but didn't look like going all in anytime soon.

Deery

Dreary
By most accounts we had ~ 200m in spending room after 20-21 under FFP due to Ashley's tight grip on finances (cheers mike) but didn't look like going all in anytime soon.

You must have brought in 7/8 players since then, still spending rightly.

HJ12

So in historic oil-club terms, is he the equivalent of Man City signing Jo or Adebayor? Certainly doesn't feel like their Aguero moment yet!

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He’s really, really good. If he lives up to his potential, this will be seen as a bargain.

Newcastle are coming… cue Jaws music.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
You must have brought in 7/8 players since then, still spending rightly.
An interesting thing is if Isak signs we'll still have spent around 120m this summer which is still a crazy amount but we'd be 5th in net spend after chelsea, Man Utd, forest(!) and wham according to transfermarkt. We'd be 8th or 9th I think on gross spend but the likes of city and arsenal can recoup some money because they have actual players to sell whereas our castoffs are mostly shite.

Deery

Dreary
An interesting thing is if Isak signs we'll still have spent around 120m this summer which is still a crazy amount but we'd be 5th in net spend after chelsea, Man Utd, forest(!) and wham according to transfermarkt. We'd be 8th or 9th I think on gross spend but the likes of city and arsenal can recoup some money because they have actual players to sell whereas our castoffs are mostly shite.
Players see the big contract in the future you see no hesitation of signing on.

A-man

Think he will fit in their style of playing however he’s a bit weak physically imo. If he can improve his finishing he will be a good signing.

Alonzo

This is a good time to remind everyone Newcastle are over 10x richer that City, 10x. Blows my mind that or pisses me off not really sure.
And this is a good time to remind everyone that they could be 100000x richer, I’d still prefer the glazers (who i despise). No amount of silverware is worth selling the clubs soul for.

Deery

Dreary
And this is a good time to remind everyone that they could be 100000x richer, I’d still prefer the glazers (who i despise). No amount of silverware is worth selling the clubs soul for.
I tend to agree, my good friend, I tend to agree.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I look at the Casemiro fee and think, that’s a lot of money. Then I see deals like this and I think, is it though?

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
I can't believe Newcastle spent €70m on him ... He is a decentish player but is very lightweight. He's fast but is very one-footed. He is uncomfortable switching to the wings and will essentially play in the center. Not known to be a particularly great finisher (like Haaland) either. He can drop deep and is a competent enough passer, but is not known for any creativity. This is a great deal for Real Sociedad but one which could go either way for Newcastle. Now if they could only spend a similar amount on Asensio.

FatTails

Ooof are we now judging signs using a Gordometer? Haha.

In all seriousness a much better signing than fecking Chris Wood.
I expected more from fecking Wood. He’s been rather limp and ineffective for them, and doesn’t help them penetrate defences.

Ok I’ll stop.

Dr. StrangeHate

Yup, plan probably is to finish in the Europa places, manufacture some self sponsored sponsorship deals, increase revenue then drop 100 mil on Saka.
Why can't they just do what Chelsea did? Get a loan from your owner and then have it written off. Chelsea got 1.5 billion written off.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
I can't believe Newcastle spent €70m on him ... He is a decentish player but is very lightweight. He's fast but is very one-footed. He is uncomfortable switching to the wings and will essentially play in the center. Not known to be a particularly great finisher (like Haaland) either. He can drop deep and is a competent enough passer, but is not known for any creativity. This is a great deal for Real Sociedad but one which could go either way for Newcastle. Now if they could only spend a similar amount on Asensio.
If I were Real Sociedad I would sign Umar Sadiq, he would cost about €30M.

Smores

58 million isn't that bad really, they've overpaid but not massively so. Be interesting to see if he lives up to his previous hype.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
If I were Real Sociedad I would sign Umar Sadiq, he would cost about €30M.
Now here is a proper signing by a team with a good scouting system. He is actually built for the PL ... strong, fast, runs all day long, not a poor finisher and in the game against Madrid, was comfortable running wide & center.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
Financial Doping at its finest. Isak is a good player but 70 million is just crazy. 20-25 is his Real value.
It worries me how the Premier League teams are allowed to skip financial fair play. Real Betis, a team with a huge social mass and a long history, aren't allowed to get Bellerin on loan because the FFP says so. But any random Premier League team can pay 70 million for a good/average player.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
He didn't even look a 10m player at Dortmund. Was only a matter of time before someone won the Saudi lottery, I suppose.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
So it begins, Newcastle will be a top team within 5-6 seasons.

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
They bid big for Ekitike, but the player turned down the move despite the clubs agreeing a fee. So I’m not sure it’s just FFP.

Madrid also reportedly turned down a huge offer from an unnamed Premier League club for Valverde.

On another note, it’s a ridiculous fee for Isak. He has a good skill set, but he isn’t anywhere near worth that sort of money.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
So in historic oil-club terms, is he the equivalent of Man City signing Jo or Adebayor? Certainly doesn't feel like their Aguero moment yet!
Not really. They just bought a young player with potential for a lot of money, same for everybody else in today's striker market. I don't think they overpaid while compared with other EPL clubs. There is a EPL tax due to the TV right money EPL clubs received I believe. Isak probably needs to put on more muscle mass for his own good.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Now here is a proper signing by a team with a good scouting system. He is actually built for the PL ... strong, fast, runs all day long, not a poor finisher and in the game against Madrid, was comfortable running wide & center.
Umar Sadiq seems to have been around forever. Can remember him at Roma years ago and he was on loan at Rangers (under Gerrard) and didn't do much.

As for Isak....been waiting to see him in the prem. Very clever signing from Newcastle as he's the sort of mobile forward Howe likes to work with so should fit in no problem.

Yes the goals have dried up in last 12 months but he hit 16 in league and cup in 19/20 and then 17 in La Liga in 20/21 so he's far more proven at top level than Joao Pedro who looked all but done.

Newcastle simply making really intelligent signings when people thought they'd just go for galactico types....Pope, Trippier, Botman, Guimaraes and Isak in last six months is a very strong spine of incomings.

RedorDead21

I look at the Casemiro fee and think, that’s a lot of money. Then I see deals like this and I think, is it though?
Yeah the worlds best DM with the trophies to prove it going for less then those with it all yet to prove. It was an absolute bargain price and that will be clear as day by christmas.