Newcastle United

diarm

Lyon adamantly denying press reports of the Guimaraes deal being done.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I mean it’s funny that reports keep coming out that they’ve done a deal and then it gets denied/rejected :lol:

bucky

United and Arsenal and Spurs are fecking idiots for letting Guimaraes go to Newcastle for 32m :eek:
He'd instantly be the best midfielder in any of those clubs and would be a great signing for us, and yet ... Newcastle .. for 32m.
I feel your pain. :(

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Newcastle do have history though.
Even if it was a long time ago.
As opposed to who?
I assume it's a shot at City, but even if you exclude all the trophies won by City after the takeover they have basically the same amount of trophies won, City with 12 and Newcastle with 13. One "proper" European cup each, allthough Newcastle also won the Intertoto cup in 2006.
City also won more of their trophies during the 60's and 70's, as opposed to Newcastle winning most of theirs before 1960. Which only would be relevant considering most people seem to only care about the 60's onwards anyway when discussing "history".

Leeds for example is rightfully anknowledged by most people as a big and historic club, but they still have less trophies than City even when you exclude the trophies City won after 2008.

Sorry for the semi-rant, but the whole "no history" shtick is so boring and lazy by now. It's decent banter but a lot of people seems to seriously believe and take it as gospel.

Most english clubs, or clubs of any nationality for that matter, has rich histories trophies or not. They have existed for over a hundred years. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter in terms of present-day success but saying any club has "no history" just because you are not familiar with it is a bit boring and clueless

Last edited:
Reactions: SilentWitness

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
As opposed to who?
I assume it's a shot at City, but even if you exclude all the trophies won by City after the takeover they have basically the same amount of trophies won, City with 12 and Newcastle with 13. One "proper" European cup each, allthough Newcastle also won the Intertoto cup in 2006.
City also won more of their trophies during the 60's and 70's, as opposed to Newcastle winning most of theirs before 1960. Which only would be relevant considering most people seem to only care about the 60's onwards anyway when discussing "history".

Leeds for example is rightfully anknowledged by most people as a big and historic club, but they still have less trophies than City even when you exclude the trophies City won after 2008.

Sorry for the semi-rant, but the whole "no history" shtick is so boring and lazy by now. It's decent banter but a lot of people seems to seriously believe and take it as gospel.

Most english clubs, or clubs of any nationality for that matter, has rich histories trophies or not. They have existed for hundreds of years. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter in terms of present-day success but saying any club has "no history" just because you are not familiar with it is a bit boring and clueless
Actually it is a shot at the FA.

You lot won the lottery. Just like Chelsea.
United and Liverpool for example have history. They gained their following over many decades.

What football background do the owners of City, Chelsea and now Newcastle have?

The FA allowed these snakes to come into the game. I'm not excluding us too btw.
Their job is to protect the game for the supporters. Not to be profitable.

But then corruption filters down does it not? Right from FIFA and UEFA.
Look at the WC in Qatar. What a sad joke.

We cannot put the genie back in the bottle.

So here we are.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Actually it is a shot at the FA.

You lot won the lottery. Just like Chelsea.
United and Liverpool for example have history. They gained their following over many decades.

What football background do the owners of City, Chelsea and now Newcastle have?

The FA allowed these snakes to come into the game. I'm not excluding us too btw.
Their job is to protect the game for the supporters. Not to be profitable.

But then corruption filters down does it not? Right from FIFA and UEFA.
Look at the WC in Qatar. What a sad joke.

We cannot put the genie back in the bottle.

So here we are.
Don't see the relevance of this, unless your point is that any clubs history is dictated by who currently owns them. What football background does the Glazers and John Henry have?

However I do tend to agree with your overall point about where football is heading, especially how it has continually evolved away from the fans at the terraces. All though you could argue that those two "history" clubs you mentioned are two of the biggest culprits in setting it in motion with the Premier League breakaway in the 90's, allthough that is probably a discussion for another thread.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Don't see the relevance of this, unless your point is that any clubs history is dictated by who currently owns them. What football background does the Glazers and John Henry have?

However I do tend to agree with your overall point about where football is heading, especially how it has continually evolved away from the fans at the terraces. All though you could argue that those two "history" clubs you mentioned are two of the biggest culprits in setting it in motion with the Premier League breakaway in the 90's, allthough that is probably a discussion for another thread.
yep, we're basically footballs Frankenstein's monster, we've been created on the back of the greed the the owners of both Liverpool and United in the late 80s then the greed of UEFA with the CL in the mid 90's

Red Dreams

This is a fair point.

In 'those days' any club in the top league could win the title.

And I was not having a go at City. I merely said Newcastle do have history.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
That's 6 transfer windows; there'll obviously be a mass cull this summer, then begins the process of bringing players in. If they're serious about this enterprise and want to get it done quickly, they'll blow everyone out of the water for talent and pay clubs a grossly inflated fee, which they'll gladly accept. Once they get their 'Robinho', the floodgates for other good to great players will open and then there will be no stopping them. FFP is the only restriction, but that doesn't actually do anything.

City had to tread carefully and at least look like they were following the rules, and even they had a massive turnover of players; no such thing stands in the way of Newcastle, plus, players know that these state/oil clubs mean business now and the blueprint making their rise to the top is set and inevitable, which means less hesitation in joining a "project".

Newcastle are surely prudent enough to woo younger players also, ones who haven't gotten their hands on proper, top level wages yet. No proper club is going to match their wages for as yet unproven, potentially elite talent because the risk-reward is excessive. They will have their pick of that area of the market place.

In the 50's, some of the best players of that time found themselves all the way to Columbia because the pay was beyond their wildest imagination; smart agents are going to make a killing bringing players outside of what Newcastle's remit is at any one time into the club - they will hop brackets of player City had to initially tolerate. The whole process will be expedited.

I don't think the names and standings of the clubs you mentioned mean anything. City are the only ones there who can stave Newcastle off financially; once Newcastle are on the horizon, a player with genuine top tier options is going to use those same clubs to get a financial offer from Newcastle that blows everyone else out of the water. The Saudi's don't need to play by any rules and can easily juggernaut their way to the top expeditiously. Once they get a top manager in, it'll just cascade.

Clubs should be looking to shaft them now and hope they get relegated to set them back a few years.
Can't see it happening myself,

The scrutiny on them from the FA, premier League and the Government will be intense, they will have to abide by the FFP regulations set out by the Premier league, also their sponsorship deals will be under massive scrutiny.

It will take them years from the position they are in.

The cull you talk about needs to happen now if they are to improve, who realistically is going to take the players off their hands? Players like Lacelles, Shelvey, Almiron et al, all not good enough for a top half team, yet they will still be here come summer, if they are relying on them now they will barely survive this season.

City when they went through this process had United and Chelsea to beat, Arsenal were fading, Liverpool were distant. Newcastle have a lot more to deal with, a stronger top 6, a stronger top half, with the likes of Leicester, West Ham, Wolves to deal with. It will take them I reckon 4/5 years just to break into the top 7, and I think that's being generous.

United and Chelsea are not going anywhere, Liverpool will be there or there abouts, Chelsea will almost certainly be there, so top four is not a given for them at all.
People keep talking about their Robinho, yet realistically that isn't happening til next summer, and even then there will be several clubs with money to spend, they are not guaranteed a 'superstar' signing at all.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
The only explanation is we're about to get rinsed on a striker and just can't afford a 30m+ midfielder on top of it. From his point of view i guess PSG don't really care about him, Juve are about to go bankrupt buying Vlahovic and United signing midfielders is a meme. Very strange.
Im not sure it's just that. We've been linked to and watching the lad for 3 years or so, but never enough to actually put a bid in. Even when it looks like he's signing for someone else, we've not moved, and neither has anyone else.

I think it tells me there's folk higher up on the list. Guys like Bissouma, Douglas Luiz & Tielemans will all be down to 12 months left come the summer, & then we have interest in the likes of Neves as well. We'll just need to wait and see how we go from here.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Im not sure it's just that. We've been linked to and watching the lad for 3 years or so, but never enough to actually put a bid in. Even when it looks like he's signing for someone else, we've not moved, and neither has anyone else.

I think it tells me there's folk higher up on the list. Guys like Bissouma, Douglas Luiz & Tielemans will all be down to 12 months left come the summer, & then we have interest in the likes of Neves as well. We'll just need to wait and see how we go from here.
Fair enough, it's just annoying that we're a good midfielder and striker away from taking advantage.
Finishing the season with Lacazette as the only senior striker and another 6 months of praying Xhaka doesn't randomly go off, would be a massive waste. Especially when rivals are all having issues of their own.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Can't see it happening myself,

The scrutiny on them from the FA, premier League and the Government will be intense, they will have to abide by the FFP regulations set out by the Premier league, also their sponsorship deals will be under massive scrutiny.

It will take them years from the position they are in.

The cull you talk about needs to happen now if they are to improve, who realistically is going to take the players off their hands? Players like Lacelles, Shelvey, Almiron et al, all not good enough for a top half team, yet they will still be here come summer, if they are relying on them now they will barely survive this season.

City when they went through this process had United and Chelsea to beat, Arsenal were fading, Liverpool were distant. Newcastle have a lot more to deal with, a stronger top 6, a stronger top half, with the likes of Leicester, West Ham, Wolves to deal with. It will take them I reckon 4/5 years just to break into the top 7, and I think that's being generous.

United and Chelsea are not going anywhere, Liverpool will be there or there abouts, Chelsea will almost certainly be there, so top four is not a given for them at all.
People keep talking about their Robinho, yet realistically that isn't happening til next summer, and even then there will be several clubs with money to spend, they are not guaranteed a 'superstar' signing at all.
None of that 1st paragraph is true - who do you think allowed this to happen in the first place? And who do you think will be turning blind eyes to everything as Newcastle morph into an uber team in record time? FFP doesn't mean anything, City had the growing pains and 'punishments' of turning that around and Newcastle already have a blueprint to follow learning from other state/oil clubs.

A cull can happen at the same time as players are brought in, it's a secondary matter with a knock on effect that makes it look justified that all the players who are currently there on their old contracts getting no playing time, will gladly accept the pay offs to leave. The rotation of players coming in to out will be spectacular and all of it will look 'reasonable' if you don't delve deeper than the surface level - we ourselves have a bloated squad we're not doing much about as we look to bring players in and get some out; loans at first, then turfing out.

Their academy will also get a massive boost over the next couple of years and those elite players will be ready to enter the fray in 2-3 years themselves. It'll be players coming in from all angles and make them a 'proper' squad in super short time - you cannot use normal club parameters for a club completely removed from them; you can barely even use state/oil clubs as Newcastle's wealth dwarfs literally all of them, combined. It would actually be gross, gross incompetence for them not to hasten the process.

I admire the optimism you have regarding the traditional clubs, but it's already been shown to be utterly meaningless as City moonwalk across the league amassing points totals that kind of squad should accumulate. All it means for the clubs you mention is one less place to vie for, and for each of them to pray it's not them who get scorched by Newcastle's comet-like ascension.

re. 'Robinho' what you're doing is layer tracing City's growth from a time past, when going to clubs like them was fraught with danger and the pay cheque was literally everything. These days, it's all aboard a wild adventure for a player, and a 'Robinho' will have a lot less apprehension about joining such a side knowing full well he'll be part of an armada soon enough. Stating again, Newcastle can fine tune City's model and not make the mistakes they did, plus what I've said here applies to managers as readily as players, as they know they're going to the richest club on earth, with wealth that is greater than all of football's other sides, combined. ( :lol: )Being the highest paid manager on the planet, getting the players brought in that you want and autonomy at a level rarely seen at top clubs; it's a dream within a dream. If Conte was announced for next season (should they stay up), I wouldn't bat an eyelid.

crossy1686

career ending
Remember the time they quoted us £50m for Sean fecking Longstaff? Yeah, we do.
This, they can go and feck themselves. Also sends a message to these players who sign big contracts and don't perform, then expect to be loaned out at the clubs expense so they can try and make the national squad before a major tournament. The lot can whistle.

Champ

None of that 1st paragraph is true - who do you think allowed this to happen in the first place? And who do you think will be turning blind eyes to everything as Newcastle morph into an uber team in record time? FFP doesn't mean anything, City had the growing pains and 'punishments' of turning that around and Newcastle already have a blueprint to follow learning from other state/oil clubs.

A cull can happen at the same time as players are brought in, it's a secondary matter with a knock on effect that makes it look justified that all the players who are currently there on their old contracts getting no playing time, will gladly accept the pay offs to leave. The rotation of players coming in to out will be spectacular and all of it will look 'reasonable' if you don't delve deeper than the surface level - we ourselves have a bloated squad we're not doing much about as we look to bring players in and get some out; loans at first, then turfing out.

Their academy will also get a massive boost over the next couple of years and those elite players will be ready to enter the fray in 2-3 years themselves. It'll be players coming in from all angles and make them a 'proper' squad in super short time - you cannot use normal club parameters for a club completely removed from them; you can barely even use state/oil clubs as Newcastle's wealth dwarfs literally all of them, combined. It would actually be gross, gross incompetence for them not to hasten the process.

I admire the optimism you have regarding the traditional clubs, but it's already been shown to be utterly meaningless as City moonwalk across the league amassing points totals that kind of squad should accumulate. All it means for the clubs you mention is one less place to vie for, and for each of them to pray it's not them who get scorched by Newcastle's comet-like ascension.

re. 'Robinho' what you're doing is layer tracing City's growth from a time past, when going to clubs like them was fraught with danger and the pay cheque was literally everything. These days, it's all aboard a wild adventure for a player, and a 'Robinho' will have a lot less apprehension about joining such a side knowing full well he'll be part of an armada soon enough. Stating again, Newcastle can fine tune City's model and not make the mistakes they did, plus what I've said here applies to managers as readily as players, as they know they're going to the richest club on earth, with wealth that is greater than all of football's other sides, combined. ( :lol: )Being the highest paid manager on the planet, getting the players brought in that you want and autonomy at a level rarely seen at top clubs; it's a dream within a dream. If Conte was announced for next season (should they stay up), I wouldn't bat an eyelid.
It's taken City this long to have an academy worthy of producing a handful of good players, it will take Newcastle the same amount of time (a decade)

I understand what you are saying, I just feel the scrutiny of this deal is enormous, with the Premier League , FA and even Government figures weighing in. They will continue to do so as it's their product in the limelight here.

Let's not forget that City are still under investigation by the Premier League.

You say players are willing to board a 'wild adventure', doesn't seem to be the case so far, and I'd imagine that'd carry on next season even if Newcastle stay up.
Players are looking to play at the highest level now, for the best teams, Newcastle just don't fit in currently.
It will take them a decade at least to be there, of that I'm sure.

But I guess we will just have to wait and see!!
It's all hypothetical until it happens I guess.

NoPace

If they're offering 10M for a 29 year old Dan Burn I imagine they're set on a 3-4-3 and will sign a left-wingback before the window is over.

If the Moussa Diaby and Guimares rumour happens and they get an LB, this front 7 will surely stay up:

St Max - Wood/Wilson - Diaby
LWB -----Bruno----CM--------Trippier

NoPace

Fair enough, it's just annoying that we're a good midfielder and striker away from taking advantage.
Finishing the season with Lacazette as the only senior striker and another 6 months of praying Xhaka doesn't randomly go off, would be a massive waste. Especially when rivals are all having issues of their own.
Yeah, my guess is it won't impact your striker buying necessarily since someone like David will want to stay in the CL, but Newcastle need 3 CMs probably so could cost you in your attempt to get a Partey partner.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's taken City this long to have an academy worthy of producing a handful of good players, it will take Newcastle the same amount of time (a decade)

I understand what you are saying, I just feel the scrutiny of this deal is enormous, with the Premier League , FA and even Government figures weighing in. They will continue to do so as it's their product in the limelight here.

You say players are willing to board a 'wild adventure', doesn't seem to be the case so far, and I'd imagine that'd carry on next season even if Newcastle stay up.
Players are looking to play at the highest level now, for the best teams, Newcastle just don't fit in currently.

Seriously, there's trillions of pounds between Saudi Arabia and the British government; think about that for a second. Do you honestly believe any part of the establishment is going to sanction their venture into sport that they've already greased however many palms to acquire? In whose interest do you think it is for them to be investigated? The integrity of football? Do you think they care about that, honestly? They will do what they want and pay what they have to along the way.

The caveat of them staying up is crucial, which is why I said it's paramount that others don't do business with them and hope they get relegated. Of course 'the adventure' only goes so far for some players, others will gladly go off to China, Qatar or whoever pays the most whilst they are at the peak of their powers. What they can acquire from the Championship compared to from the PL, is obviously world's apart, but that should go without saying.

You're talking about an academy, I was not, I was talking about poaching as many highly rated kids on the precipice of turning pro as possible and seeing how much sticks in the end, meanwhile bolstering 'the academy' whilst the real project with it works away in the background, which, yes, might take longer, but certainly not as long as City's.

It's not the 2000's or 2010's; scrutiny is far less; these state/oil clubs have become normalised and, the way all of them are run now is levels better than when they bumbled onto the scene. Newcastle have more than all of them combined, they will hire the best of everything and will not make the mistakes they did as they don't need to as the way has been paved and the methodology is clear and apparent.

I think in your 10 years, if they're not one of the most dominant teams on the planet with a hefty trophy cabinet behind them, they'll have been a massive, massive failure.

You can't romanticise this one unfortunately: money does, and will, talk.. very, very loudly.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I don't understand why Newcastle not bring in Aaron Ramsey for the remaining of the season on loan instead of Lingard for the money mentioned.

Gandalf

I don't understand why Newcastle not bring in Aaron Ramsey for the remaining of the season on loan instead of Lingard for the money mentioned.
Ramsey wants nothing to do with them. Loads of stories in Italy earlier in the window that Juve were desperate to do the deal and Newcastle would have covered his entire salary but he wants a London club and was close to joining Palace but that fell through due to his insane wages. Juve want him gone but Bale has taught him well.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Ramsey wants nothing to do with them. Loads of stories in Italy earlier in the window that Juve were desperate to do the deal and Newcastle would have covered his entire salary but he wants a London club and was close to joining Palace but that fell through due to his insane wages. Juve want him gone but Bale has taught him well.
Thanks for the info. Ramsey is within his right to pick the right club for himself and for his family. I don't blame him for choosing London club. He holds all the card as he has a contract with Juventus till 2023.

James Peril

Must be so fecking exciting to be a Newcastle supporter right now.

Bastards
They are in a relegation battle, have a pretty shit manager and are linked to the likes of Dan Burn. Watching them relegate would taste incredibly nice to say the least.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
They are in a relegation battle, have a pretty shit manager and are linked to the likes of Dan Burn. Watching them relegate would taste incredibly nice to say the least.
even if they relegate they will bounce back immediately. Nothing change long term.

AneRu

I think you are being over optimistic and overestimating the capacity and willingness of these institutions to rein a powerful entity like Newcastle. Newcastle have the resources to entice or bully anyone in their way if they are so inclined. City are poverty stricken peasants when compared to the power now behind Newcastle.

There is enough greed around the world for them to attract enough players to make up a squad of 25 good players. Top players are shunning them now as they face a relegation scrap but it won't be the case in a couple of years and sooner if they survive the drop. It didn't take City long to attract the likes of Tevez, Robinho etc.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Before people have a go at Newcastle and their Saudi owners, they need to look at the corrupt FA first.
This.

The deal wouldn't have been possible without the FA and PL officials lobbying for it.

Tbh they didn't have any excuse to not sell, UK sells military weapons to Saudi Arabia, so it's not like they had any option.

Red Dreams

This.

The deal wouldn't have been possible without the FA and PL officials lobbying for it.

Tbh they didn't have any excuse to not sell, UK sells military weapons to Saudi Arabia, so it's not like they had any option.
Even if a Football Club is set up like any other business, the FA exists to ensure that the interests of football supporters are safeguarded.
What football background do the new owners have?
Same for Manchester United or City or Chelsea or Liverpool.

Football is our national game. Clubs are based in the communities they grow out of.
Look at the state of the sport.

Is this any good to so many smaller clubs around the country?

This is not about broadcast revenue.
Football starts with the match going supporters who come from the communities they grew out of.

Instead the FA that was supposed to protect the sport has pretty much destroyed it.

Champ

Seriously, there's trillions of pounds between Saudi Arabia and the British government; think about that for a second. Do you honestly believe any part of the establishment is going to sanction their venture into sport that they've already greased however many palms to acquire? In whose interest do you think it is for them to be investigated? The integrity of football? Do you think they care about that, honestly? They will do what they want and pay what they have to along the way.

The caveat of them staying up is crucial, which is why I said it's paramount that others don't do business with them and hope they get relegated. Of course 'the adventure' only goes so far for some players, others will gladly go off to China, Qatar or whoever pays the most whilst they are at the peak of their powers. What they can acquire from the Championship compared to from the PL, is obviously world's apart, but that should go without saying.

You're talking about an academy, I was not, I was talking about poaching as many highly rated kids on the precipice of turning pro as possible and seeing how much sticks in the end, meanwhile bolstering 'the academy' whilst the real project with it works away in the background, which, yes, might take longer, but certainly not as long as City's.

It's not the 2000's or 2010's; scrutiny is far less; these state/oil clubs have become normalised and, the way all of them are run now is levels better than when they bumbled onto the scene. Newcastle have more than all of them combined, they will hire the best of everything and will not make the mistakes they did as they don't need to as the way has been paved and the methodology is clear and apparent.

I think in your 10 years, if they're not one of the most dominant teams on the planet with a hefty trophy cabinet behind them, they'll have been a massive, massive failure.

You can't romanticise this one unfortunately: money does, and will, talk.. very, very loudly.
As I've said, the proof is in the pudding, we will see how it pans out.

But Newcastle are a mess of a club right now, they have their work cut out to get the playing staff in shape, coaching staff in shape and the youth prospects in any form of shape.

They are miles behind where City were as a club when the money rolled in, hence the reason I believe it will take twice as long to get to the same position.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
As I've said, the proof is in the pudding, we will see how it pans out.

But Newcastle are a mess of a club right now, they have their work cut out to get the playing staff in shape, coaching staff in shape and the youth prospects in any form of shape.

They are miles behind where City were as a club when the money rolled in, hence the reason I believe it will take twice as long to get to the same position.
Not really. They already have a better stadium than City did. Plus a much bigger local fanbase. They’re a better prospect, if anything.