Nexlions Cup

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
McClair is there but not as a coach. Academy Director or something.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
They've outplayed us. No worries. Difficult conditions and opponents.

Drainy

reminds me of this team's first appearance at u-18s level. That Liverpool away game where they just didn't have the physicality and fitness to keep up for the 90 minutes and got rolled over in the second half.

Got to be patient with this team, there are a lot of physically immature players in the bunch.

Drainy

Is a little disappointing that we've not kept the ball better
playing against a very good team that was taller, stronger, quicker (they were basically young men, while our lads were still boys) and had better fitness levels/ resistance against the heat and humidity it was always going to be a struggle to keep possession.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
We looked a spent force in the second half but the first was positive.

Worth keeping in mind that this is an u19s cup and the average age of our team is somewhere around the 17 and a half mark. Would be interesting to know Sporting's average age but they were clearly more physically developed than us which is always the case with southern European teams at this level.

Platato

Psst!
Despite the loss, it was a great to watch. Hopefully the lads fare better on Sunday. Oh and I'm sold on Daehli already.

Tooni

The fitness between two sides was quite obvious. I'm not sure if Sporting had a bit more relaxed schedule but I would assume so. It was a bit disappointing to see them not keep hold of the ball better but they'll learn. This is the reason I believe we should play with the continental sides more often and participating in that euro youth league or something could help a lot.

Credit where it's due, Sporting were really good and that Mane looks like an outstanding talent.

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
playing against a very good team that was taller, stronger, quicker (they were basically young men, while our lads were still boys) and had better fitness levels/ resistance against the heat and humidity it was always going to be a struggle to keep possession.
True enough, but our side aren't much younger than them at all. Smaller yes, but not younger. The conditions played their part but again I've seen these lads play bigger teams before and have kept the ball well. Was hoping that we might have done it better today.

A very good test though. Reckon we might need to poach a couple of those Sporting lads...

jb8521

I wouldnt be too worried about this result considering we seemed to struggle a lot with tiredness and sent a young squad who werent as physically mature as Sporting. The players who we left out who are eligible are Blackett, McCullough, Hendrie, Ekangamene, Lawrence, Januzaj, Powell and Henriquez

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
True enough, but our side aren't much younger than them at all. Smaller yes, but not younger. The conditions played their part but again I've seen these lads play bigger teams before and have kept the ball well. Was hoping that we might have done it better today.

A very good test though. Reckon we might need to poach a couple of those Sporting lads...
Actually, they had eight 18-year-olds and three 17-year-olds in their starting XI. We had four 18-year-olds, six 17-year-olds and a 16-year-old in ours.

Forevergiggs

Damn! I have missed two games this season, youth cup and this one, and we have lost both. :( Can't trust you guys for anything. :smirk:

We have another game in the tournament for the 3rd place finish, isn't it? When is that supposed to be played? Any particular reason Henriquez didn't start?

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
He's not with the squad. Nor are any of the other eligible reserve teamers.

Forevergiggs

Oh! I guess I missed that. The earlier reports had suggested that Henrqiuez would be part of the squad.

You know when do we play next?

Baxter

Mate said Liverpool got hammered 5-1 and 3-0 by Lisbon in NextGen last year. Some talented guys there it seems (as always).

relx

Frnkie Sys
Oh! I guess I missed that. The earlier reports had suggested that Henrqiuez would be part of the squad.

You know when do we play next?
Playing the Singapore youth selection on the 16th, 8.15 am GMT. Iqbal Hussain (No. 23) is a good talent

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Mate said Liverpool got hammered 5-1 and 3-0 by Lisbon in NextGen last year. Some talented guys there it seems (as always).
Cristiano Ronaldo
Nani
Joao Moutinho
Miguel Veloso
Ricardo Quaresma

Better than we have produced in the last 15 years.

That said, if we played in the NextGen series, we would be used to this step up in competition.