Next Arsenal Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Manchester

Supports
Manchester City
but I think the biggest problem in our club was never the manager but a owner that doesn’t really care if we compete or not as long as the stock holders are making money. Koenke really needs get out already if anything is really going to change. Sad times.
Agreed, likewise I would also add that the owner himself is dragging down the value of the club every season he continues to own it, especially when their absenses in the Champions League become more regular and more importantly they will end up losing the next generation of fans (to other clubs, including a certain other club in North London) who did not grow up under the Graham or (early) Wenger eras, something the club will end up paying the price for in the long run.

So even financially, what Kroenke is doing does not make any sense whatsoever in the case of a club like Arsenal.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
There's nothing daft about it. It's a high risk appointment but there are perfectly valid reasons for appointing him. And it's not like he's going to be under intense amount of pressure. Arsenal have finished a distant 6th. It's not beyond the realm of imagination that Arteta does better than that.
Don't understand why people are already jumping into the conclusion he will be a failure.
He could be a failure and he could finish lower than 6th something you don’t seem to acknowledge.

Its an interesting gamble. Personally I think they should have gambled with someone who has managed before but hey ho.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He could be a failure and he could finish lower than 6th something you don’t seem to acknowledge.

Its an interesting gamble. Personally I think they should have gambled with someone who has managed before but hey ho.
Although I understand your reasoning, that's where we disagree. I feel the chances of him finishing below sixth are smaller than the chances of him being a success. Imo, Arteta has a very low bar to achieve before being regarded as a success and that's why I think they are willing to take what looks like a monumental risk.

cyberman

Wenger won 3 FA Cups in last 4 years and finished above LVG both season he was managing United and everyone was still bitching about him from fans to media and in the end he was forced to leave. So i still don't get what success you're suggesting.
If Arteta gets top 4 against this row of killers, will he be seen as a success? With away wins v City, Utd and Liverpool?
Of course he will. You're stretching the Wenger point as if it has nothing to do with Wengers being there for 20 years while ignoring the needs of the side in the transfer market etc.
A new voice that has them thinking they're on the path to recovery will be like manna from heaven.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
That isn't the whole story though. He worked for years as a coach and then an assistant coach, 9 or so years in all.

He had far more experience coaching when he was hired than Arteta does now. Kroenke also set up an experienced coaching team around him.
That's a fair point. I still think the success of the Rams makes stingy Stan more likely to go with Gazidis' cheap Arteta gamble.

You mean happy indefinitely getting a monthly cheque as he sits at home following being fired without just cause back in December? :lol:
I stand corrected and clearly need to update my Ajax info :lol:

Alas (or fortunately) no; he’s younger than me. Though we would have been there at the same time for a year at least.
No a good sign. He wasn't memorable enough for you to know him at the time ;)

he definitely became more aggressive when he transferred to a deeper role in Arsenal, kicking the shit out of everyone, picking a lot of yellows too, that's what I remember about him. I can agree he was too slow... And I am not saying he played as a pure defensive mid, he just played deeper as a CM with more defensive duties and some playmaking skills. He can be certainly described as an intelligent player despite lacking pace too
I'd interpret it more as Wenger refusing to sign a real DM and sticking Arteta in that role simply because he is an intelligent player. But Arteta lacked the skill set to really be successful in that role and often would either get beat due to being slow or teammate's poor tactical discipline so he would make a rash tackles. I never saw him as being an "aggressive player" and nothing I saw from his rather mediocre play at holding mid makes me think he will be particularly good at setting up defenses or instilling a solid defensive attitude in players.

But its certainly possibly he picked up on Pep's aggressive pressing system and might implement something like that.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Given the choice between Arteta now and Moyes when we hired him, I would go with Arteta.

Moyes is a known quantity. Everyone knew what he was about. He came to United and delivered exactly what many predicted he would deliver, Crap.

Sure Arteta could be a disaster, but he could also end up being the next Pep or Zidane. I would much rather the unknown quantity who could end up turning out great than the tried and tested mediocre candidate. So even if they appoint Arteta, it’s still a better appointment than when we hired Moyes.
Kind of how I'm assessing Rangers appointing Gerrard.

Only difference is, Rangers can only attract a certain calibre of manager to Scotland, whereas a PL-money-pumped Arsenal should be able to attract almost anybody.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Although I understand your reasoning, that's where we disagree. I feel the chances of him finishing below sixth are smaller than the chances of him being a success. Imo, Arteta has a very low bar to achieve before being regarded as a success and that's why I think they are willing to take what looks like a monumental risk.
Most Arsenal fans will not consider him even a mild a success unless he returns us to Top 4. He won't get the blame if he fails though. Gazidis will.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We only disagree if you feel he cannot come lower than 6th, bear in mind I didn't say he would.

Whats the low bar that he has to achieve to be a success? And is that equal to success for Arsenal?

It all depends on Arsenals ambition, if they want to be a top club and challenge for titles then its a risk, its not bad to take risks though.

Cloud7

Kind of how I'm assessing Rangers appointing Gerrard.

Only difference is, Rangers can only attract a certain calibre of manager to Scotland, whereas a PL-money-pumped Arsenal should be able to attract almost anybody.
You could say the same about Real or Barca when they appointed Pep and Zidane though. Maybe they saw something in him that made them think he was worth giving a shot too.

Arsenal are in comfortably the worst current position of all the big teams, but at the same time the teams below them really aren’t likely to catch up with them. If this goes up in flames it’s not like they’re going to drop from 1st to 7th like we did. They can just get rid of him and start again from basically the same position they’re in now.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
People are comparing our situation with there's. Arsenal have nothing to lose by hiring Arteta. A donkey would struggle have them finish below 6th.
If he fails, they will have a similar season to their two previous ones.
We were champions.
I don't agree, because every additional season they spend outside the top 4 (and thus the CL) further damages their finances and their drawing power as a club.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
I hoped to see him back at Arsenal, even though I didn't think it would be so soon. If they've looked at him decided he can do the job then I'll trust them and be quietly excited. A little nervous, of course, but pleased.

Kapardin

Agreed, likewise I would also add that the owner himself is dragging down the value of the club every season he continues to own it, especially when their absenses in the Champions League become more regular and more importantly they will end up losing the next generation of fans (to other clubs, including a certain other club in North London) who did not grow up under the Graham or (early) Wenger eras, something the club will end up paying the price for in the long run.

So even financially, what Kroenke is doing does not make any sense whatsoever in the case of a club like Arsenal.
Its' a catch 22 situation for Kroenke. If he wants a stable CL club, he needs to hire a proven manager who will demand atleast 200 mil transfer budget every summer. But he could take a risk in hiring an unproven manager who might take the club down further.

But what Kroenke is hoping is that the unproven manager (Arteta) will make the most of the talent he already has and surprise everyone by over-performing.

Let's face it, even if Arteta does a bad job, he will probably be on 2-3 million a year in wages as opposed to the likes of Allegri who may demand 7-10 mil. So sacking Arteta won't cost much. And if he succeeds, Kroenke actually saves a lot of money while getting his 4th place trophy too. It actually is a sound financial decision in some ways.

I don't agree, because every additional season they spend outside the top 4 (and thus the CL) further damages their finances and their drawing power as a club.
I agree - I don't think Arsenal can afford to be sentimental. They need a manger who will come in and rule with a iron fist, I don't think Arteta will bring that.

Nikelesh Reddy

I think its refreshing they are willing to go for a fresh face entirely.
There's nothing refreshing about this at all....It's just ridiculous that a guy like Arteta ends up taking over a club like Arsenal.We thought that our board was brain dead to appoint Moyes,but this is on a completely different level.And I don't care who he's worked under,that really means nothing.

His work as an assistant/coach under Guardiola and Wenger doesn't mean a thing.Rene Meulensteen and Mick Phelan spent many many seasons working under SAF,but both of them have failed to establish themselves as successful managers...

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
There's nothing refreshing about this at all....It's just ridiculous that a guy like Arteta ends up taking over a club like Arsenal.We thought that our board was brain dead to appoint Moyes,but this is on a completely different level.And I don't care who he's worked under,that really means nothing.

His work as an assistant/coach under Guardiola and Wenger doesn't mean a thing.Rene Meulensteen and Mick Phelan spent many many seasons working under SAF,but both of them have failed to establish themselves as successful managers...
Its as 'ridiculous" as Real appointing Zidane and Barca when they appointed Pep and both were refreshing moves. I also dont see why you should mention who he has worked under for it was never part of my argument

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Its as 'ridiculous" as Real appointing Zidane and Barca when they appointed Pep and both were refreshing moves. I also dont see why you should mention who he has worked under for it was never part of my argument
Guardiola and Zidane both managed the B team which played in a lower division. Guardiola especially did very well and won the 2nd division.

Both of those managers did the 'lower league' job that prepares them for a top club.

Top clubs do not hire managers with no experience because it is far too risky. That is why Madrid and Barca insisted on both of these managers to manage the B team, so they can see what they are like and if they have good qualities for the A team.

Tomb Bombadil

Supports
Arsenal
The fact the Gooners have made Arteta their prefered choice (1) just shows why the fans next season now need to focus on forcing the board out as well. Simply because while he has done a good job City as assistant to Pep, going from that to being the manager of the Arsenal (2) is a a whole different kettle of fish, one which even the best managers in the world would struggle to suceed in under the circumstances, let alone someone with a reletive lack of experence as Arteta.
Arsenal has a whole new backroom staff with Mislintat (chief scout), Sanllehi (football director), Mertesacker (academy) and some other staff had to go and they will be replaced. They are trying to put the competences on diffrent shoulders as it should be in a modern club like it is for example in most german clubs. So therefore it's also less of a risk to appoint an unexperienced manager. So even if it fails with Arteta the club has already decided in which direction they want to go, so it doesn't has to be a complete turnaround if Arteta goes. They just need a new manager with the same plan/values like for example Nagelsmann whom Mislintat wanted as numbre 1 target but who stays one more year at hoffenheim.

Even though Arteta was not the first priority choice, I still think he can become successful. The two biggest problem will be how he can handle star players and if he can attract top players.

Last edited by a moderator:

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Lets be honest, if they appoint Arteta, we as Man Utd fans would be pretty happy, that should say something surely?
Maybe he'll prove a success in his first job, who knows but Arsenal have both the money and the prestige to appoint top draw, proven pedigree and it appears they're going to gamble instead.

R'hllor

Arteta being appointed isnt an issue, he could win a league with Arsenal next season as far as we know, what issue would be a Arsenal board reasons why they might hire him.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
You could say the same about Real or Barca when they appointed Pep and Zidane though. Maybe they saw something in him that made them think he was worth giving a shot too.

Arsenal are in comfortably the worst current position of all the big teams, but at the same time the teams below them really aren’t likely to catch up with them. If this goes up in flames it’s not like they’re going to drop from 1st to 7th like we did. They can just get rid of him and start again from basically the same position they’re in now.
Sure, this is the key part. It always depends on what the rationale is in appointing the ex-player straight into the hotseat of a big club. A fan-appeasing big name and/or someone who knows the club well already, or is it because they are a smart cookie and already have the managerial and tactical qualities to succeed. Hard for fans to know what side it falls into.

Castia

Just read a report on Sky Sports News saying they’re speaking with Arteta today and it claimed he will have £50m to spend.

I’ve seen that figure branded around a few times, the new manager hasn’t got a chance.

Morpheus 7

Arteta being appointed isnt an issue, he could win a league with Arsenal next season as far as we know, what issue would be a Arsenal board reasons why they might hire him.
Everton or Burnley have as much chance of winning the league as them, they need a huge rebuild.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Just read a report on Sky Sports News saying they’re speaking with Arteta today and it claimed he will have £50m to spend.

I’ve seen that figure branded around a few times, the new manager hasn’t got a chance.
That would be far more concerning than Arteta being hired from an Arsenal perspective.

Murray3007

Arteta would be one fo the weirdiest choices for me, might be a cheap option which is why they are in for him, looking at the current arsenal team, how many would you actually be bothered about keeping? cant be many, they needa major rebuild and the 50m that seems to keep being mentioned is why they are prob going to need to gamble on the likes of Arteta, no way any top manager is coming in to that squad and only getting 50m to spend,

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal

So get Arteta because he is never gonna complain about the budget.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I don't think the 50m figure is real honestly.
We're already deep in talks to sign the young turkish CB for around 30M, trying for Seri and, unfortunately, Sokratis seems to be done.
We're also pretty much certain to sign a GK with Leno being linked at around 25M.
Even if the names don't match, these positions absolutely have to be filled.
That's already well over 50M.
The only sellable assets we have right now is Ramsey and Mustafi who will need to be replaced.
We're never going to recoup Mustafi's price so i don't see how it adds up.

borrays

Arteta LMAO!
Just when you think missery is over for Arsenal fan
Anyone who thinks this comparable to Barca appointed Pep or Madrid with Zidane is deluding themselves. Barca and Madrid were already had backbone of their respective squads, and La Liga wasnt so competitive unlike PL.

el3mel

Arteta +50m budget. :lol:

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
Arteta would be one fo the weirdiest choices for me, might be a cheap option which is why they are in for him, looking at the current arsenal team, how many would you actually be bothered about keeping? cant be many, they needa major rebuild and the 50m that seems to keep being mentioned is why they are prob going to need to gamble on the likes of Arteta, no way any top manager is coming in to that squad and only getting 50m to spend,
He's not the cheap option and it's not like he was their first choice. Most of the managers they wanted weren't available and it seems like Arteta is pretty well liked among the players and management at the club. He may be inexperienced in a top management role but I don't think he's gonna turn out the disaster everyone think it's gonna be. And the team doesn't need a major rebuild, they have very good attacking players. They need to get a new GK, a couple defenders, a right back and probably a DM. Added to that, we know that his football philosophy isn't like Wenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.