g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Next Arsenal Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Incognito

Yeah, bad or really bad.
They've done nothing in the league since 2008. So would a top four finish in his first season be considered a disaster?

Poch, Pep and Wenger seem to rate him, but then again so does Moyes. :lol: He talks intelligently, but has next-to-no experience.

It's a risk, but so was hiring Wenger in the first place. Arsenal are crying out for a manager with cojones though, who would move Koscielny, Mustafi, etc on. Arteta strikes me as another yes man.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
They've done nothing in the league since 2008. So would a top four finish in his first season be considered a disaster?

Poch, Pep and Wenger seem to rate him, but then again so does Moyes. :lol: He talks intelligently, but has next-to-no experience.

It's a risk, but so was hiring Wenger in the first place. Arsenal are crying out for a manager with cojones though, who would move Koscielny, Mustafi, etc on. Arteta strikes me as another yes man.
Wenger was nowhere near the risk Arteta is. Wenger had already won a league and gone on a CL run with Monaco gaining a reputation for working with youth. Then when the Arsenal board still thought he was too inexperienced, he went to Japan and won a Cup over there before Dein could finally push him through.

Arteta would be the most inexperienced and riskiest manager ever appointed in the history of the Arsenal.

Revaulx

Still better appointment than Moyes, even if it's more uncertain but with Moyes you already knew how mediocre he was and that he wasn't going to get any better.
Plus stuff like he’s not going to be in charge of recruitment and so forth.

I’m not saying that his appointment is in any way like Wenger’s, but let it not be forgotten that in his early (and most successful) years, David Dein acted as a de-facto Director of Football. It was only when Wenger became an absolute monarch that things started to go downhill. Maybe Gazidis thinks he can replicate that earlier era, if that’s the route he’s set upon.

Morpheus 7

If Arteta comes in, it's a huge risk and shows no plan was in place. I would be worried if I was an arsenal fan, that board isn't going to give him huge amount of money. It's a massive gamble, out of the names that have been mentioned he would be the last choice in my opinion. Gazidis and Kroenke should be hunted down if this is the grand plan.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
He's worked under Pep last two years, he was also an aggressive defensive midfielder, he will know how to set up his team to press, he also played for Arsenal 5 years while wearing the band at times, knows the club and is a leader I think he could actually surprise many and take Arsenal to back 4 immediately, while playing some nice football. It is my honest prediction and I think he would do well also for one other reason, he would be in a good position because they can't finish worse than 6th, he could focus on building a nice attacking while competitive team. If Arsenal lacks something it is aggression and he could bring that to Emirates imo.
Don't think I'd ever describe him that way. He was more an AM for Everton and Wenger turned him into a regista type. He was never really aggressive nor a defensive midfielder. I wasn't particularly impressed by his play in that position either. Don't think he ever worked the greatest in that position as he was too slow and not really aggressive.

ti vu

If Arteta comes in, it's a huge risk and shows no plan was in place. I would be worried if I was an arsenal fan, that board isn't going to give him huge amount of money. It's a massive gamble, out of the names that have been mentioned he would be the last choice in my opinion. Gazidis and Kroenke should be hunted down if this is the grand plan.
The problem is not whether giving Arteta huge amount of money. Not giving much money before he proved himself somehow is understandable. The underline problem is with the appointment itself as you stated, seems like no plan was in place. No investment to persuade proven manager to come. Broken squad with quite some misfits.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't get the conparison with Moyes. Moyes was a known quantity. I'd be equally excited and worried if I was an Arsenal fan.
I'd expect his brand of football to be very progressive and that would have me very excited. What would worry me is if they are going to lumber him with a shoestring budget but it seems he won't have great influence in trabsfers .
Would be interested in seeing what sort of attacking football he implements. Whether the positional game, relentless press or counter attacking.
I don't agree with people who have concluded it's going to be a disaster.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Does Vieira think it’s his divine right to lead the club forward just because he’s a legend at Arsenal?

Does he not realise managing in the MLS carries NO WEIGHT whatsoever. He’s lucky the club even called.
No but he has the right to feel they really want to him .

Alabaster Codify7

Arteta is like Moyes was to us - the cheapskate option.
The 'cut from the same cloth' thing was complete and utter bollocks, anyone with a brain could see through it - all it was, was the board thought (as we had just won the league) that all they needed was a 'steady Eddie' type to come in and keep things ticking along nicely.....ie - "with no value in the market" and minimal expenditure. At least for 2-3years, then maybe they'd allow this new manager to buy a few upgrades.

Things went completely wrong when it became clear that the steady Eddie was anything but that, and that the squad SAF left was not quite as good as they thought. Hence the board were more than happy to spend big once Moyes was replaced.

Arteta will the same situation. They've brought him in because they know any manager worth his salt will turn around and tell them:

"Yeah......I'll sign........where's the blank cheque, lad?"

This will be their Moyes era and beyond, Arteta will be sacked by next summer I reckon.

ti vu

I don't get the conparisoc with Moyes. Moyes was a known quantity. I'd be equally excutee and worried if I was an Arsenal fan.
I'd expect his brand of football to be very progressive and that would have me very excited. What would worry me is if they are going to lumber him with a shoestring vubudg but it seems he won't have great influence in trabsfers .
Would be interested to see what sort of attacking football he implements. Whether the positional game, relentless press or counter attacking.
I don't agree with people who have concluded it's itjng to be a disaster.
While there shouldn't be any line drawing until thing plays out; it's understandable to freak out and liken to Moyes where a long term manager who left hte club (different circumstances, and position) and new coaches with lot to prove come in. They're trying to get back to top 4 if anything and doesn't look well a plan.

If playing progressive football is all they want, then shouldn't they stick with Wenger instead of hauling him off? The appointment is more wishful thinking than anything. People talk about Pep, Zidane again yet Arteta not even coach at youth level. And unlike Pep Zidane, they were highly sucessful players and guided by great managers during their playing days, Arteta was more of journeyman and spent most of his time under 2 managers at the time staying at mediocre level. So at this point, it's more wishful thinking than anything. May turn out well but likely goes the same way.

dpansheth

The meltdown on arsenal fam tv would be a summer special.
It would be funny, but at the same time, no one can be sure of what Arteta will manage to do.

Granted he's not experienced, but he's not a known quantity as well. Arsenal are willing to take a risk and they may be rewarded if it works out, if it doesnt they will get someone else after the World cup summer.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Oh the other thing to consider is that Kroenke's NFL team just appointed a rookie 32 year old manager who led them to a better season than they have had in years so its possible Kroenke is on board with pushing for a young, inexperienced manager because he just saw that work for his NFL team

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Give Arteta the Everton job. feck I'd take Fat Sam over him since he'd at least make us a defensive unit again.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I’m not saying that his appointment is in any way like Wenger’s, but let it not be forgotten that in his early (and most successful) years, David Dein acted as a de-facto Director of Football. It was only when Wenger became an absolute monarch that things started to go downhill. Maybe Gazidis thinks he can replicate that earlier era, if that’s the route he’s set upon.
Yeah, I also wouldn't say this is exactly a good call to give the job to Arteta but in Arsenal's position they do need a change so don't think they can do any worse than currently.

Gliggs

It seems Luis Enrique was the plan but they are being put off by his wage demands.. If he was the plan and they didn't take into account his wages then that's hardly planning at all. Arteta looks to be someone they may interview but I really can't see them bringing him in. As someone mentioned already you can't trust someone so inexperienced with a large transfer budget and I would say they probably need 5 or 6 players to come in.

Having said that it makes me feel like other names are being linked to quieten the media surrounding Luis Enrique as I find it hard to believe the next two potential candidates on Arsenal's radar were Arteta and Vieira; the latter already claiming it was a token gesture of a phone call which implies he isn't even being interviewed.

Reactions: Carolina Red

Cloud7

Given the choice between Arteta now and Moyes when we hired him, I would go with Arteta.

Moyes is a known quantity. Everyone knew what he was about. He came to United and delivered exactly what many predicted he would deliver, Crap.

Sure Arteta could be a disaster, but he could also end up being the next Pep or Zidane. I would much rather the unknown quantity who could end up turning out great than the tried and tested mediocre candidate. So even if they appoint Arteta, it’s still a better appointment than when we hired Moyes.

Acole9

Outstanding
Arteta :lol: They all thought they were getting a top class manager and got all giddy about it!

kidbob

What needs to happen is a merging of Wenger and Jose to form the perfect manager.

Anyway I hope they go for Moyes: Scottish, tough, inflexible (to the extreme) and endorsed by SAF.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
Atleast if Arteta bombed, it would lead to an even bigger protest against Kroenke.

The age of frugality is over. Football is about cold hard cash and Usmanov has $13 billion waiting to help.

Minimalist

What needs to happen is a merging of Wenger and Jose to form the perfect manager.

Anyway I hope they go for Moyes: Scottish, tough, inflexible (to the extreme) and endorsed by SAF.
Just got a hilarious vision of Fergie calling Moyes to his house again like in 2013, only this time to tell him he must go to Arsenal in an act of sabotage.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Ancelotti? He's not with a club and lives in London doesn't he?

I've always rated him as quite a good manager.

JSArsenal

Oh the other thing to consider is that Kroenke's NFL team just appointed a rookie 32 year old manager who led them to a better season than they have had in years so its possible Kroenke is on board with pushing for a young, inexperienced manager because he just saw that work for his NFL team
That isn't the whole story though. He worked for years as a coach and then an assistant coach, 9 or so years in all.

He had far more experience coaching when he was hired than Arteta does now. Kroenke also set up an experienced coaching team around him.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Really, really hate Arsenal.

Seems like the place is just one giant upturned nose. We don't hire conventionally successful managers, we hire Arsenal managers.

saivet

Given the choice between Arteta now and Moyes when we hired him, I would go with Arteta.

Moyes is a known quantity. Everyone knew what he was about. He came to United and delivered exactly what many predicted he would deliver, Crap.

Sure Arteta could be a disaster, but he could also end up being the next Pep or Zidane. I would much rather the unknown quantity who could end up turning out great than the tried and tested mediocre candidate. So even if they appoint Arteta, it’s still a better appointment than when we hired Moyes.
With Moyes there was the argument around budget and having better players. He'd proved himself at a certain level and he may be able to step up given the opportunity.

If we go back to 2013 and if the choice is between Moyes and some former player that's never managed I'm going with Moyes.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
Arteta is like Moyes was to us - the cheapskate option.
The 'cut from the same cloth' thing was complete and utter bollocks, anyone with a brain could see through it - all it was, was the board thought (as we had just won the league) that all they needed was a 'steady Eddie' type to come in and keep things ticking along nicely.....ie - "with no value in the market" and minimal expenditure. At least for 2-3years, then maybe they'd allow this new manager to buy a few upgrades.

Things went completely wrong when it became clear that the steady Eddie was anything but that, and that the squad SAF left was not quite as good as they thought. Hence the board were more than happy to spend big once Moyes was replaced.

Arteta will the same situation. They've brought him in because they know any manager worth his salt will turn around and tell them:

"Yeah......I'll sign........where's the blank cheque, lad?"

This will be their Moyes era and beyond, Arteta will be sacked by next summer I reckon.
The general consensus is that Arteta is highly respected among the Arsenal players.

Gopher Brown

It’s going to be difficult for Arteta if he’s made manager. He’ll be mates with a lot of the squad, and really with a squad as up and down as them they need a bit of impartiality and ruthlessness.

I don’t see Arteta providing that.

Guy Incognito

Wenger was nowhere near the risk Arteta is. Wenger had already won a league and gone on a CL run with Monaco gaining a reputation for working with youth. Then when the Arsenal board still thought he was too inexperienced, he went to Japan and won a Cup over there before Dein could finally push him through.

Arteta would be the most inexperienced and riskiest manager ever appointed in the history of the Arsenal.
Aye, I bow down to your superior knowledge on that.

Arteta and an ageing Papastathopoulos in. How inspiring. :lol:

ArsenalFanTV will be "lit" next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.