Next captain post-Carrick

Who should be the captain post-Carrick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CA_vampire

None of them seems to be "captain" material. DDG is our best player, but he doesn't look like a captain to me.

Ainu

I don't really like the idea of a keeper as captain but De Gea is the only worthy name on that list. Herrera has the right spirit but he's not good enough to be an automatic starter which a captain should be in my opinion. Sanchez strikes me as someone who'd be a good captain but he's only been here for 5 minutes and still has it all to prove. I wouldn't even consider any of the others.

Jacob

DDG because we love him, he wouldn't be a great captain though. Lacks vocals and charisma, not visible enough when shit hits the fan. I'd say Lukaku or Matic.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't really like the idea of a keeper as captain but De Gea is the only worthy name on that list. Herrera has the right spirit but he's not good enough to be an automatic starter which a captain should be in my opinion. Sanchez strikes me as someone who'd be a good captain but he's only been here for 5 minutes and still has it all to prove. I wouldn't even consider any of the others.
Sanchez would be a disaster captain. He’s constantly in a sulk when things aren’t going well.

Ashley R1+O

Was Carrick the captain?

Nevermind, I can't find one or even two nailed on leaders in this group. Right now the big hope would be that Lukaku in the next three to four years eventually takes on the mantle. He completely fits the bill, we desperately need to find somebody in the meantime though.

Acole9

Outstanding
There's not really a stand out candidate. If I had to choose I'd pick De Gea. Wouldn't want anyone else anywhere near it. If Pogba gets his act together he could possibly be a contender.

jesperjaap

There's not really a stand out candidate. If I had to choose I'd pick De Gea. Wouldn't want anyone else anywhere near it. If Pogba gets his act together he could possibly be a contender.
Totally agree with your first sentence. Watching us this season we remind me in a way of a boring version of Arsenal about 5 years ago. 3 or 4 rubbish performances then we put a little run together where you think "we arent that bad, we could actually start to progress hre"....then come another 3/4 poor performances....at least Arsenal were entertaining though. I think our points total this year is quite a lot more than we actually deserve.....and like Arsenal there are two elements to why we are poor. One, we dont have very good defenders, secondly......where is the Keane, Robson, Viera, Adams in this current side, there is no leader, there is like you say no suitable captain in this side, there hasnt been for a while. That is something I would like to see in the summer market regarding a new centre back or midfielder....a leader, captain....I feel that would help regarding consistency

Silas

Pogba probably makes the most sense.

De Gea can't push team and talk to the ref much from where he is. Apart from being able to lead by example, I'm not sure what other qualities he has that would make him a good leader. Valencia really shouldn't be captain seeing as he refuses to speak English, while Ander and Young (hopefully Valencia too) most likely won't be starters next season. Lukaku and Sanchez have the right attitude, but apart from usually putting a shift in, I don't see much in terms of actual leadership. Smalling rarely even fills me with confidence (on the ball) and I doubt he's capable of rallying the entire team. Either of Matic and Pogba would be fine, but I think Pogba's charisma, ability and the fact he has closer ties with the club make him a better choice. He may be inconsistent, but he's one who enjoys pressure and I reckon the captaincy would give him a positive push. Seems to be good friends with everyone at the club, which also helps.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Surprised at all the Matic shouts, comes across as quite quiet & unassuming to me, although so does Carrick so what do i know.

Valencia should be nowhere near the armband in my opinion, was baffled when I saw him with it on at the start of the season. Pogba is a charismatic maverick type player, but I don't think he has the determination or focus to be captain just yet. He has shown there is captain potential there, just nowhere near consistently enough. Maybe one day if he sticks around, too immature right now though.

I think the captain of a team should be a player who is a 100% guaranteed starter, and respected & admired by both fellow players & the fans, so De Gea for me.

RRCE

I think that the difficulty in identifying anyone in the team who is well suited to be captain says a lot about what we see on the pitch. There’s a lack of leadership. I don’t see anyone in defence, midfield or attack who, with any regularity, drives the team on and has the “presence” we would expect of a United captain. How would Roy Keane have reacted to what was happening on the pitch yesterday? I think we all know. For years now, the captain seems to have simply been the first team squad member with the most years of service under their belt. That shouldn’t suffice.

In my opinion, we have a lot of immature players in the squad, both on and off the pitch. Some of them will mature in time and develop into more consistent, reliable players. Others will simply be shown the door. I can absolutely understand why Jose was keen to add a players like Matic and Sanchez - seasoned professionals who can be relied on to bring something close to their best game on a consistent basis (yes, I appreciate that Sanchez has had some poor showings, but that’s not terribly surprising in the wake of a January transfer). He’s looking for “warriors” and leaders, not players who are more concerned with dancing and hairstyles than they are winning football matches.

As others have pointed out, there’s are some current players who have some of the qualities we would like to see in a captain - De Gea and Herrera stand out a bit for me - but none are obvious choices.

Marcky411

Most probably be Jose’s favorite son Fellaini after he sign his new 5 year contract. (Relax only joking, I really hope this doesn’t come back to bite me in the @rs). It doesn’t really matter who becomes captain, we have no real leaders the last one left for America, so it really doesn’t matter. The captain should be a midfielder, of age and respected by his teammates, never a striker or goalkeeper.

Minimalist

Pogba probably makes the most sense.

De Gea can't push team and talk to the ref much from where he is. Apart from being able to lead by example, I'm not sure what other qualities he has that would make him a good leader. Valencia really shouldn't be captain seeing as he refuses to speak English, while Ander and Young (hopefully Valencia too) most likely won't be starters next season. Lukaku and Sanchez have the right attitude, but apart from usually putting a shift in, I don't see much in terms of actual leadership. Smalling rarely even fills me with confidence (on the ball) and I doubt he's capable of rallying the entire team. Either of Matic and Pogba would be fine, but I think Pogba's charisma, ability and the fact he has closer ties with the club make him a better choice. He may be inconsistent, but he's one who enjoys pressure and I reckon the captaincy would give him a positive push. Seems to be good friends with everyone at the club, which also helps.
Right now he'd barely be a better captain than Rooney - probably the worst captain United have had. Consistency is important.

meamth

Sanchez would be a disaster captain. He’s constantly in a sulk when things aren’t going well.
I don't think so. He sulked a lot at Arsenal because of the club's mentality.

He can be a great captain leading by example.

United Pro

It has to be de Gea. If Matic had been here 4/5+ years then he would have a stronger case.

Robbo*

Embarrassing that Tony has been captain lately.

I'd say De Gea to take over

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
There is no worthy candidate, sadly. Not if you want someone to have the effect that Roy Keane used to. Out of this current lot you could pick at random for all the difference it will make.

So it’s at least three more seasons before we can start to hope to see a true new United captain build a reputation within the changing room and push the squad out of this funk.

Until then, DDG deserves it if he wants it just for continuing to put up with the shambles in front of him.

GM K

Don't really tend to have good luck with captains I feel, since Keane.

Neville was actually Captain after Keane, but giggs always had the armband cus Neville was always injured. Then it was vidic, who I feel was coming to the end of his united career really. Fairly solid but won't be remembered for being a captain. Rooney after that, in what can only be described as a less than satisfactory period where he was in and out the team. And now currently Carrick who's barely played since.

I wouldn't give it to Valencia for this reason alone. Needs to be someone who's going to play, and is a leader.

De Gea or Pogba for me.

I have come to the conclusion that Pogba can't seem to handle being the talisman or leader for a team.
Where there was a Pirlo and other top players who were providing leadership on the pitch and sharing attention, Pogba thrived at Juventus. He was the up and coming young talent. His faults could be excused. There was the legendary Pirlo dictating things in the middle of the pack. Pogba could play on the left of a midfield three. He was ever hardly asked to control games from a deeper end. That was the perfect scenario for him to thrive.

Things changed at United. He became the 90 million pounds super star expected to lead a more average team back to the top. He became a bigger, more popular, more wanted brand off the pitch. He became saddled with more demanding fans and a less patient manager. He has not seemed able to handle the scenario well, hence his inconsistency. I wouldn't make him captain. He can't handle it. I would bring in some more capable ball players and stars and take some burden off him. That way, we might just see his best again.

Gopher Brown

Pogba to be the captain after the next one. Tony V in the short-term with De Gea and Pogba vice captains.

cyril C

No brainer. Valencia will be the Captain of the Club but half of the time(hopefully) he will be on the bench, so DDG captain as deputy, and Valencia lift the trophy.

Sing you a song

Apparently Matic is quite mute during games though.
Plus surely want someone that understands the history, heritage and philosophy of the club (for off-field activities etc).
Surely to god he couldn’t be more mute than Valencia could he ?
Matic is only realistic choice I think

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
There is no worthy candidate, sadly. Not if you want someone to have the effect that Roy Keane used to. Out of this current lot you could pick at random for all the difference it will make.

So it’s at least three more seasons before we can start to hope to see a true new United captain build a reputation within the changing room and push the squad out of this funk.

Until then, DDG deserves it if he wants it just for continuing to put up with the shambles in front of him.
I agree, I don't think we have anyone with the obvious qualities of a captain. We don't really have anyone particularly vocal or who organises everyone else. I think Valencia would end up getting it in the end. I'd personally choose either Matic or DDG, Matic has a composed, mature way about his game, DDG's our best player and talisman although I don't think either is especially suited.

arthurka

Lets buy Henderson and make him captain seems to work for Klopp of the Kops ..

Only kidding

Davistiano

I voted for DDG simply because I think he deserves it given his performance. However, he will not be the fiery leader that we used to see in RK16.

Herrera will be my next choice, and I really hope he gets more minutes as I really like him!

Actually, what about Mata?

Kostov

I voted for DDG simply because I think he deserves it given his performance. However, he will not be the fiery leader that we used to see in RK16.

Herrera will be my next choice, and I really hope he gets more minutes as I really like him!

Actually, what about Mata?
Yeah, with Darmian vice captain and Fellaini as third choice. Good idea that :lol: