Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I think I might be able to run it (with the support of a small committee). Two things first though:

1. Can we have some more discussion on potential new scoring system? Something simple but perhaps more balanced than the status quo?
2. Keepers will count for more.
Absolutely - that's precisely what we should do. No need to rush it - it's time we implemented something new, not to say it's long overdue.

A suggestion by @Aldo was mentioned above - not sure what it is but we could start by looking at that.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
As for keepers, if the current draft is anything to go by the natural place to start is to improve the handicap of top keepers in shootouts (as these are extremely common these days).

That said, the latter (shootouts) is a thing we should probably discuss in itself: I sense people are getting a bit tired of 'em. A reform of the score/vote format might include ways of reducing the amount of draws.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
I think I might be able to run it (with the support of a small committee). Two things first though:

1. Can we have some more discussion on potential new scoring system? Something simple but perhaps more balanced than the status quo?
2. Keepers will count for more.
Ask crappy and NM to help you. Take as long as you need, doesn't have to start right away. Final of 40's draft will be over on Monday so you can put up the thread anytime after that.

1. The Stain
2. Joga Bonito
3. Chesterlestreet
4. Sjor Bepo
5. Snow
6. EAP
7. MJJ
8. Marty1968 - needs confirmation
9. Stobzilla - needs confirmation
10. Skizzo - needs confirmation
11. mazhar13
12. Invictus
13. Tuppet
14. Isotope
15. Enigma_87

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
As for keepers, if the current draft is anything to go by the natural place to start is to improve the handicap of top keepers in shootouts (as these are extremely common these days).

That said, the latter (shootouts) is a thing we should probably discuss in itself: I sense people are getting a bit tired of 'em. A reform of the score/vote format might include ways of reducing the amount of draws.
Agreed on the keepers. For example, the Sheep Committee could group the 16 keepers into three tiers and then implement some sort of handicap set up to reflect the quality differentials for any shootouts. Obviously that is only worthwhile if there are still going to be draws, so it should still be an option in a new system. Otherwise we need to think of another means to make keepers more important.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Tbh, I'm honest with current scoring system. It shows who wins and who did not. Simple and easy. Adding in a goal split would increase the complexity with no value adds otherwise.

Maybe I understood the concept wrongly and willing to let anyone put me right. If not, I vote to stick with existing.

Goalkeepers, definitely. We can classify them in buckets before the matches start and top buckets have 1 save advantage when facing anyone in a lower tier bucket.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Tbh, I'm honest with current scoring system. It shows who wins and who did not. Simple and easy. Adding in a goal split would increase the complexity with no value adds otherwise.

Maybe I understood the concept wrongly and willing to let anyone put me right. If not, I vote to stick with existing.

Goalkeepers, definitely. We can classify them in buckets before the matches start and top buckets have 1 save advantage when facing anyone in a lower tier bucket.
The problem, as I see it, isn't that the current system is deeply flawed - it's (much) more a matter of spicing it up one way or the other. It's grown a bit stale - I think people are tired of seeing matches being played out in the same old way.

I don't think we have anything to lose from implementing something novel here - if it doesn't work, then it's a lesson learned and no harm done. If it does work it could revitalize the thing a bit - which I personally think it needs.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
The problem, as I see it, isn't that the current system is deeply flawed - it's (much) more a matter of spicing it up one way or the other. It's grown a bit stale - I think people are tired of seeing matches being played out in the same old way.

I don't think we have anything to lose from implementing something novel here - if it doesn't work, then it's a lesson learned and no harm done. If it does work it could revitalize the thing a bit - which I personally think it needs.
Can't argue with that. Anything is worth a try.

Skizzo

1. blocked for the entire draft (unless there's a special final round where all the blocked players become available again, we had that in first sheep draft).
2. A curveball is @Chesterlestreet 's way of praising the evil sheep draft master genius of @Skizzo or in short, the more brainfeck criteria the better.
3. In theory the criteria restrict the player pool anyway, but it's possible to limit it from the start. I think the first sheepdraft was limited to all players born after Maradona.
Always with the compliments :) still my favourite time spent on the caf so far I think.

The swap with players between teams, and @Edgar Allan Pillow's reaction being my particular highlight still :drool: Morgan freeman gif

Also, I'm in.

Skizzo

1. The Stain
2. Joga Bonito
3. Chesterlestreet
4. Sjor Bepo
5. Snow
6. EAP
7. MJJ
8. Marty1968 - needs confirmation
10. Skizzo
11. mazhar13
12. Invictus
13. Tuppet
14. Isotope
15. Enigma_87

Marty1968

Not read any of the messages over the past day or so but i'm in...Can't do anything until Monday morning though (hopefully this doesn't rule me out!!!).

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
1. The Stain
2. Joga Bonito
3. Chesterlestreet
4. Sjor Bepo
5. Snow
6. EAP
7. MJJ
8. Marty1968
10. Skizzo
11. mazhar13
12. Invictus
13. Tuppet
14. Isotope
15. Enigma_87

So one last spot remaining

@Pat_Mustard
@diarm
@Theon
@ctp
@green_smiley

ctp

I'd be happy to help with running the next draft if you still need someone, but I'll pass on playing in it.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
So what are we hoping to achieve by changing the scoring system? Is it to get rid of the 15-3 pumpings and to have a scoreline more reflective of the two teams on show? Is it about having fewer draws?

Moby

Dick
Is it about having fewer draws?
Yeah.
2/3 matches I played in this draft ended in penalties, which are done to death now.
I've also never understood people who vote for team X to bring the scores level, you are essentially voting for that team, not a draw which is not an option in a poll. I myself refrain from voting if I think it is even, which for me is voting for a 'draw'.
Anyway penalties or ties.. think about that perhaps.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I've also never understood people who vote for team X to bring the scores level, you are essentially voting for that team, not a draw which is not an option in a poll. I myself refrain from voting if I think it is even, which for me is voting for a 'draw'.
I agree with this. They don't vote for a draw, they just decide to nullify the vote from someone else. It's not fair and it's in my opinion the main reason why we have so many penalties.

The Stain

Interesting. That would certainly mix things up as Chester says is needed and would keep it fairly simple.
If it's also possible to make it so you can't change your vote after voting we could give it a go.

MJJ

If it's also possible to make it so you can't change your vote after voting we could give it a go.
Yeah, I think its possible to make sure that the results of the vote are only shown after you vote and to restrict people from changing votes. I also, second this.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Interesting. That would certainly mix things up as Chester says is needed and would keep it fairly simple.
Someone had that idea before if I remember correctly, but it takes a lot of drama away from the matches in my opinion and probably influences the discussion quite a bit. I guess it's worth a try, but I guess it'll make the games more boring.

The Stain

How about; results will only be shown after poll is closed? Then you can keep the option of changing votes open. Ye, the managers won't know the score but the discussion will keep going 'til the end. You can always sense who's winning based on the discussion and on non-managers revealing their thoughts and votes in the thread.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Just in case someone else doesn't know what's possible, that's the 'poll' part when you create a thread with all possible options:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
a non draft related question :D
Time and time again people are taking the piss with Scholes quotes, seen plenty of draft regulars do it(think it was @Raees few minutes ago) and then you see plenty of quotes for other players in draft games and nobody says anything, dont get it to be honest....

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Time and time again people are taking the piss with Scholes quotes, seen plenty of draft regulars do it(think it was @Raees few minutes ago) and then you see plenty of quotes for other players in draft games and nobody says anything, dont get it to be honest....
You mean:

Your mum was an incredible player - absolutely incredible. And what a gentleman to boot! My only regret is that she wasn't Brazilian, so I never got to play alongside her.

- Pelé
That sort of thing?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I think you got the context of why I used them wrong.. it was an in joke obviously cause I'm annoyed how people get all uppity about the quotes being used when he's clearly a genius which we should be extremely proud of. I never get bored reading quotes about Scholes.

Hope that clears it up.. it might have been a friendly but his football IQ looked above nearly everyone on the pitch.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I think the Scholes quotes had a real purpose once upon a time, when they demonstrated that a genuinely under-appreciated player was considered a genius and a gem by people like Zidane and Xavi. That was worth bringing up and use as an argument against people who considered Lampard to be streets ahead of the Ginger Prince.

Now they've become overused to the point where they're just a joke - and the general tendency on here is, if anything, to positively overrate Scholes rather than just appreciating him for the player he was.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Anyway, back on topic:

My only concern with making results unavailable till after the poll has closed is the potentially disproportionate effect of scan voters. We've had matches in the current draft with very little debate/activity and relatively high turnout. The very last one had barely a page of debate before ending with penalties - and nearly twenty people voted in it.

What about the old idea of making people vote for a scoreline? And what about eliminating the draw option? These are knockout matches. A regular draw isn't a realistic/natural option. What you essentially vote for if you a) abstain from voting or b) vote tactically for whoever is trailing, isn't an actual draw - but a penalty shootout.

Six options ranging from 1-0 to 0-3. *

Then figure out some way of giving managers with top class keepers a bit of a handicap boost.

* I was thinking 1-0, 2-1 and 3-0 (and the reverse) to represent a) a narrow win b) a narrow-ish win in which both teams will score, i.e. a so-called open match and c) a clear win. But one could easily go with, say, 8 options too - to allow for a truly open ended affair in which both teams attack freely and score multiple goals:

1-0
2-1
3-0
3-2
2-3
0-3
1-2
0-1

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Possible way to make top class keepers count for something:

If we go with the multiple scorelines format, a manager sporting a top class keeper (as defined by the draft master or a committee) is allowed to vote (1-0) for himself, and the vote will count.

It is possible to implement this even without using the multiple scorelines format: Having a top class keeper allows you to vote for yourself, i.e. a top class keeper is worth an extra vote.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Anyway, back on topic:

My only concern with making results unavailable till after the poll has closed is the potentially disproportionate effect of scan voters. We've had matches in the current draft with very little debate/activity and relatively high turnout. The very last one had barely a page of debate before ending with penalties - and nearly twenty people voted in it.

What about the old idea of making people vote for a scoreline? And what about eliminating the draw option? These are knockout matches. A regular draw isn't a realistic/natural option. What you essentially vote for if you a) abstain from voting or b) vote tactically for whoever is trailing, isn't an actual draw - but a penalty shootout.

Six options ranging from 1-0 to 0-3. *

Then figure out some way of giving managers with top class keepers a bit of a handicap boost.

* I was thinking 1-0, 2-1 and 3-0 (and the reverse) to represent a) a narrow win b) a narrow-ish win in which both teams will score, i.e. a so-called open match and c) a clear win. But one could easily go with, say, 8 options too - to allow for a truly open ended affair in which both teams attack freely and score multiple goals:

1-0
2-1
3-0
3-2
2-3
0-3
1-2
0-1
So we would just total up the goals on each side and that's the result?

Pro's - introduces realistic scorelines; freshens things up
Con's - potentially disproportionate effect of one or two voters with an axe to grind; takes a wee bit of working out

Last edited:

The Stain

So we would just total up the goals on each side and that's the result?
A suggestion some time ago was that whichever scoreline gets the most votes; that would be the result of the game.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
A suggestion some time ago was that whichever scoreline gets the most votes; that would be the result of the game.
Possibly aye. But it could lead to an absurd situation where for instance:

1-0 - 3 votes
2-1
3-0
3-2
2-3 - 2 votes
0-3 - 2 votes
1-2 - 2 votes
0-1 - 2 votes

So normally an 8-3 defeat turns into a 1-0 win.

Tricky business this scoreline stuff.