Next five matches: can we turn it around?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Feels like there’s an international break after every 2 games. Probably because our matches aren’t memorable in the least.

Blood Mage

It's the kind of run where we see if the manager has truly lost the dressing room or not. No excuse for not winning every game.

Yanited__

Yes of course we can turn it around. Things can change very quickly for the good (as we all saw last year after the Brentford 4-0) or for the worst (as we have all seen what's happened at the club since Fergie left).

My prediction is 7 points: I think Fulham we draw, Copenhagen is a late win, Luton is a win (not convincing), Everton is a loss and Galatarasay is a loss.

Worst case scenario, if we lose to Fulham and Copenhagen, then Ten Hag is a ticking time bomb. To some, they may already feel that he's on thin ice, but that would convince more supporters.

Me personally, I have maintained I will give ETH till end of season barring a huge collapse. We may be reaching that collapse territory now but we'll see.

BuzzKillington

Why do you want us to win some games against absolute dross like Luton and Everton? It just papers over cracks until we meet Liverpool etc.

We need to finish as low as possible this season.
Crazy aren’t they, imagine supporting United and actually wanting them to win :houllier:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Hope so. Last thing I want to see is another manager bite the dust. One who given time could do a good job. No one is doing a great job until the Glazers feck off and the clubs focus is on success

Zora

Crazy aren’t they, imagine supporting United and actually wanting them to win :houllier:
I knew I’d get replies like this, and I don’t blame you.

But winning matches doesn’t help us in the long term. The Glazers will never sell up whilst we hover around the top 6-8 of the league.

It’s like people who drink a bottle of wine every evening but deny they have a problem with alcohol. They go to work every day, they pay their bills. But their life is mediocre. They know, without the alcohol, life would be so much better. But they can’t quit the habit of drinking that bottle or two every single night.

The analogy applies to Utd. Our fans are kept happy with short term fixes like a new manager, an expensive new signing or a run of wins against fodder like Luton Town. But we always return to that bottle of wine.

BuzzKillington

I knew I’d get replies like this, and I don’t blame you.

But winning matches doesn’t help us in the long term. The Glazers will never sell up whilst we hover around the top 6-8 of the league.

It’s like people who drink a bottle of wine every evening but deny they have a problem with alcohol. They go to work every day, they pay their bills. But their life is mediocre. They know, without the alcohol, life would be so much better. But they can’t quit the habit of drinking that bottle or two every single night.

The analogy applies to Utd. Our fans are kept happy with short term fixes like a new manager, an expensive new signing or a run of wins against fodder like Luton Town. But we always return to that bottle of wine.
The implication being if we finish 17th and get dicked every week between now and the end of the season, that massive changes will be made to the club. Rather than just a new manager being brought in and a rinse and repeat of what we’ve done before.

The changes we need are just as likely to happen with the proposed change of ownership structure as they are with your hypothetical “let’s be really shit” solution. And I don’t need to sit and hope my team gets embarrassed every week in the meantime.

Red4ever27

I really think we will win the next five games.
Those games are the more "easier" games. Like the topic starter said there is no excuse. Do the players want to play in the next round of the CL? They should show it. Play with intensity, with no fear, say focused and press the hell out of the opponents.
I agree, but that's the way we should be playing all season no matter the game. I really think we just lack quality as well as determination, intensity etc. As far as pressing the opponents, we are terrible at it and are easily overturned and walked through.

What annoys me most is that there is no variation in tactics or formation for which opponent we are playing. We set up the same and try the same stuff whether it's against City or Forest. And the stuff were trying is pretty unsuccessful, yet were sticking to it and hope it somehow works one game. We are too predictable and too easy to set up against. Our players individually are very limited in their talents. We don't have many all rounders, who can tackle, pass, dribble successfully and we are over reliant on Bruno creating a killer pass, or Rashfords pace on the counter. Add to that a real lack of intelligence, leadership and determination on the pitch, it is probably the most worried I've been as a United fan

Zora

The implication being if we finish 17th and get dicked every week between now and the end of the season, that massive changes will be made to the club. Rather than just a new manager being brought in and a rinse and repeat of what we’ve done before.

The changes we need are just as likely to happen with the proposed change of ownership structure as they are with your hypothetical “let’s be really shit” solution. And I don’t need to sit and hope my team gets embarrassed every week in the meantime.
It’s all moot anyway. We’re shit and whatever any of us want isn't relevant. Club is in the mud.

Robbie Boy

I can't believe there's another fecking international break before the year is out. Fml.

Maniron

Genuine question for the Ten Hag out fans -

• Fulham (A)
  • FC Copenhagen (A)
  • Luton Town (H)
    • International Break
  • Everton (A)
  • Galastasary (A)

^ If he won all of that (fat chance, I know), where would you sit then. I'd assume still Ten Hag out or maybe starting to feel like he might be turning the ship but needing more convincing.
If we won all 5, I bet that 90% of our fanbase (me included) will be for giving him more time and rightly so

FrantikChicken

If we won all 5, I bet that 90% of our fanbase (me included) will be for giving him more time and rightly so
I’ll be amazed if we manage that. The Newcastle starting 11 last night was arguably worse than any of these teams and they put 3 past us at home

didz

I agree, but the knives would probably be straight back out if he didn't follow it up with revenge at St. James'.

Strelok

I can't predict the results but I'm pretty sure if ETH keeps being stubborn with his football we'll lose those 4 away games. Hope I'm wrong though.

santeria13

Sublemon
Every match bar the Crystal Palace league cup game has been incredibly tough so far.

I will be shocked if it's five wins from five. Luton at home is the only one I'd be 100% confident of winning.
Did you see how we played against the team who have accumulated a mass of 1 point in the league?

Hester_manc

Our next five matches are:
  • Fulham (A)
  • FC Copenhagen (A)
  • Luton Town (H)
    • International Break
  • Everton (A)
  • Galastasary (A)

My guess based on our form will be:

Fulham, away - we lose
FC Copenhagen, away - we lose or draw
Luton, home - we win
Everton, away - draw
Galatasaray, away - lose

FortunaUtd

One of those is not like the others, though. Galatasaray played Bayern off the park at home. They will be far tougher to beat than Villa, Newcastle, or Brighton.

Robbie Boy

No point in getting a load of 'Ole saving his skin' type wins.

We need to start showing some direction on the football pitch and putting in convincing performances. We could conceivably win 4/5 of those games via poor, unconvincing performances; and while that might make his job safer at boardroom level, it'll do little to get a-lot of fans believing.

Winrar

I’m not convinced that we’ll beat Luton at home (probably an unconvincing 1 goal margin) let alone other 4 teams on that list.

uwotm8

I can't predict the results but I'm pretty sure if ETH keeps being stubborn with his football we'll lose those 4 away games. Hope I'm wrong though.
He started a fresh team with a dropped bruno and rashford. I wouldn't say he was stubborn in this instance just a bit inept

The Urban Goose

The club is broken.

I wouldn't even be confident of a win against the Dog and Duck at the moment.
This. The form isn't turning round any time soon and it's looking like it won't until ETH has gone.

The club is rotten to the core and we're in for a good few years of pain yet. Look how long it took SAF to root out the rot when he took over, and that was only a player issue, nothing like the current mess.

Red4ever27

No point in getting a load of 'Ole saving his skin' type wins.

We need to start showing some direction on the football pitch and putting in convincing performances. We could conceivably win 4/5 of those games via poor, unconvincing performances; and while that might make his job safer at boardroom level, it'll do little to get a-lot of fans believing.
Exactly. Unconvincing wins that just paper over the cracks are dangerous. I remember after the Brentford game pundits discussing if it was the turning point after the Mctominay double. We were absolute dreadful. It gives a false sense of 'everything's going to be ok'. The turning point will be us playing good intense football with a clear plan and sense of direction on a consistent basis.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Of course we can, but we probably won’t. We’ll get a narrow win or a draw vs Copenhagen and then shit the bed against Galatasaray.
The league is done. There are easily 6 teams better than us this season and I don’t see how we turn this round with the squad we have currently.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Think in your present state Everton will beat you. Calvert Lewin will fancy getting a goal against the usual backline and they're starting to keep clean sheets regularly. Two CLs aways obviously tough in any circumstances.

Fulham will be tight but they really haven't got much in final third without Mitrovic so could be a similar win to how you did it at Burnley and Sheffield United.

Goes without saying Ten Hag is gone if you can't beat Luton at home. A draw v them is as bad as losing 4-1 to Watford anyway.

Strelok

And you want to keep him? Do you just enjoy the misery? :lol:
Obviously not.

But imo no pain no gain. Tbh we've been being crap for 10 years I don't mind another year just to see what if with a different approach than keep repeating the same fecking cycles every two years. We might find our Arteta, might not. Who knows. But at least we might. Keep repeating those bloody cycles and hope we'd strike gold has the same chance as winning the lotto imo.

And do you seriously want us to lose just so you can get rid of him?

He started a fresh team with a dropped bruno and rashford. I wouldn't say he was stubborn in this instance just a bit inept
Tbh imo he simply didn't really care much about that match. Tbf it's rather our B team. And what I was talking about was not about the line up but the tactic. He got it right first half against City though. So there's hope.

Last edited:

ToToMarshall

Our next five matches are:
  • Fulham (A)
  • FC Copenhagen (A)
  • Luton Town (H)
    • International Break
  • Everton (A)
  • Galastasary (A)
This is a kind fixture run on paper, but leaves the manager and players absolutely nowhere to hide if the last remaining wheels fall off the clown car. There's no Aston Villa here, no Brighton, no Newcastle, no teams we would want to beat ordinarily but have to really respect on the pitch right now. These are five matches that United have zero excuses to not be odds on for and not to be winning the majority of the time.

Give us your predictions:
  • How many points are we getting?
  • Is ETH still manager by the time we play Newcastle United away on the 2nd December?
I'm reluctantantly going for 6 points and a no. I sincerely hope I am wrong.
That international break if we don’t beat Copenhagen and Luton will be horrific.

Dominos

The only game you can trust this team in would maybe the absolute worst teams at home.

We'll beat Luton but probably drop points in the rest, being eliminated from the CL group in the process.

PSV

Five straight wins or a new manager would be a success.