Next Labour leader - Starmer and Rayner win

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
No, I'm suggesting that shifting all the way to the other end of the spectrum is hardly going to galvanise young voters. I'd trust Starmer in being able to command a broad appeal, Jess Phillips not so much.
Why does it have to be a complete shift to the opposite end?

You guys are just all about the extremes aren't you. Because any kind of compromise is seen as centre I guess, and of course that's evil.

I'll tell you what, how about there's no "complete shift" and we just feck off the incompetence? Which clearly should end in the same thing, Corbyn and his acolytes out. I mean surely not everyone on the left is a complete imbecile right?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Some of the mentions sound like what's needed. Someone that won't rock the Tory boat too much and will get people back on the side they should be. Hoping for a big change is pointless.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Starmer seems the obvious choice, and clearly would bring back the ‘polish’ that the party has badly lacked in the Ed and Corbyn years.

It’s too early to say though. These elections are typically horrid, bloody things. Starmer could easily be 2019’s David Miliband or Andy Burnham.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Starmer seems the obvious choice, and clearly would bring back the ‘polish’ that the party has badly lacked in the Ed and Corbyn years.

It’s too early to say though. These elections are typically horrid, bloody things. Starmer could easily be 2019’s David Miliband or Andy Burnham.
Agreed. Will be interesting to see the runners and riders. Realistically this is a Kinnock type role, not the next PM.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I'm not sure what obvious Londoner is but I imagine it being some cockney geezer
He talks a lot about 'privilege' and minority identity. He's largely right, but that's anathema to most of the country.

He can't control his mouth and emotions - stuff like comparing the Tory Party and politicians to Nazis on live TV.

Zlatattack

The most electable is probably Dan Jarvis. Former British Army Officer. Parachute Regiment. MBE. Served in Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq. Former Mayor of Sheffield. MP for Barnsley. 47 years old. Lost his first wife to cancer. Born in Nottingham. Went to comprehensive school.

No idea if he's any good or not. And he has no chance with the current Labour membership, being a centrist and member of Labour Friends of Israel.
He is a Forest Fan, so as a person from Derby that's a problem, but he's not a Tory so i'd overlook that.

Ubik

Good from Stephen Bush:
As for Labour: the one thing this election tells us for certain is that if that party wants to hold power across the United Kingdom again, they will have to share it. They have tried almost everything to pull off a revival in Scotland and it has not arrived.

The Liberal Democrats are not going to die off. The Conservatives’ hold on a part of England has not diminished. If Labour wants to win and govern alone while remaining out of contention in Scotland they will need to become a considerably more right-wing party than Tony Blair’s let alone Jeremy Corbyn’s.

Or they could accept the real lesson of this election: which is that their path back to power involves being yes, the lead member in a progressive alliance of multiple parties, but as a member of an alliance nonetheless.
Pretty stark choice.

Zlatattack

What about David Lammy?

Or are we not ready? :(
Too black. Seriously, I'm brown and Muslim, i know nobody is going to vote for anyone who looks like me. They're also not going to vote for David Lammy for 50% of the same reason.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Too black. Seriously, I'm brown and Muslim, i know nobody is going to vote for anyone who looks like me. They're also not going to vote for David Lammy for 50% of the same reason.
The uncomfortable truth.

Perhaps the only way to succeed as a minority is to be on the right, it's got 2 women into power.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Keir Starmer looks like he'd play the Prime Minister in an episode of Black Mirror.

Zlatattack

The uncomfortable truth.

Perhaps the only way to succeed as a minority is to be on the right, it's got 2 women into power.
I'm not sure. Would have been interesting if Sajid Javed got to be Tory leader. Can you imagine the horror amongst the Tory faithful.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I wonder if enough MPs would be willing to break away and form a new party if it appears as though those in charge of the inner workings of the Labour Party are unwilling to countenance a shift.

Tibs

Starmer or Angela Rayner

Anyone but Jess Phillips

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I rejoined the party today ready to give her my vote and try to keep out some momentum mouthpiece like wrong daily or burgon
I'm torn whether to rejoin or not, part of me just thinks it would be a complete waste of time. And I think an immediate surge in registrations for Labour will be seen as a mandate to carry on as normal now Brexit will have been resolved.

Ubik

I'm torn whether to rejoin or not, part of me just thinks it would be a complete waste of time. And I think an immediate surge in registrations for Labour will be seen as a mandate to carry on as normal now Brexit will have been resolved.
Just wait around to sign up as registered supporter or join an affiliated organisation.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Yeah that's my concern with Starmer, he'd be my preference as well but I do worry how Northerners would take to him. Someone in the other thread suggested Dan Jarvis, wouldn't be my choice at all but I can see his appeal outside of my general bubble. The anti-semetism issue would go away with him as leader.

I'm probably being reactionary here but for the similar reasons @Zlatattack suggested, I feel it might end up having to be a white bloke. The great appeal of both Farage and Johnson is that voters feel they can have a drink with him and I feel that's a massively important factor.

Kaos

I'll tell you what, how about there's no "complete shift" and we just feck off the incompetence? Which clearly should end in the same thing, Corbyn and his acolytes out. I mean surely not everyone on the left is a complete imbecile right?
Except that’s what I’m suggesting. I just don’t know how you can hope to compromise by telling momentum to entirely get fecked. A fair handful of Corbyn’s proposed policies appear to have been received well not just by all labour members, but also a considerable proportion of the electorate. How about you attempt to establish common ground there while being mindful of centre/moderate appeal instead of blindly endorsing the candidate that would be least favourable to momentum.

Kaos

If you don’t take part in the process then you have no business complaining about the outcome.

Kaos

When they elected a Scottish-born MP for Sedgfield, who'd lived most of his life in Durham?
I don’t think “Scottish-Born northerner” is the first thing people associate with Tony Blair. Five seconds of hearing him speak is enough to quash that.

Raven

Doesn't matter who it is. The media will drag their name through the dirt just like they did Corbyn. This is the start of a thousand year Tory Reich.

my bet is that whoever follows Corbyn is set up to fail with all the internal issues that will eat up labour over the next couple of years, and whoever leads the party in the new year won’t be in charge come 2024/5.

if I was the like of Starmer and have genuine aspirations to lead party to compete against the Tories, now is not the time to step forward - they should wait and look to replace Corbyns replacement in 18-24 months.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I think Sadiq Khan would be a good option, but he's got no chance.
Massive no for him, he gets absolutely slaughtered because of his background as the mayor, the right wing press and brexiteers wouldn't give him a chance.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Doesn't matter who it is. The media will drag their name through the dirt just like they did Corbyn. This is the start of a thousand year Tory Reich.
That’s why I think someone like Jarvis is a good tactical bet. The media would have to be somewhat careful if they went after his patriotism or honour given his active military service.

He would also nicely answer the antisemitism question being a member of Labour Friends of Israel, and go some way to rebuilding Labour’s image as a party that is proud of Britain’s history.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Except that’s what I’m suggesting. I just don’t know how you can hope to compromise by telling momentum to entirely get fecked. A fair handful of Corbyn’s proposed policies appear to have been received well not just by all labour members, but also a considerable proportion of the electorate. How about you attempt to establish common ground there while being mindful of centre/moderate appeal instead of blindly endorsing the candidate that would be least favourable to momentum.
Blindly? That's ironic. They've had how many years now? It's clearly not working, how much longer do you make excuses for these people? It's not the policies, it's clearly the people behind them.

So we just give up then?

For christ sake it's about time people grew some balls and started looking for ways to combat the media. In an ever increasing online world without the need as much for traditional media, surely Labour need a real strategy apart from just letting it happen? That and a leader who when on camera in their own words can actually communicate their point. The media aren't going anywhere, but they are changing. Labour need a strategy to deal with them, in a more effective level.

The alternative is more of this shit.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Blindly? That's ironic. They've had how many years now? It's clearly not working, how much longer do you make excuses for these people? It's not the policies, it's clearly the people behind them.

So we just give up then?

For christ sake it's about time people grew some balls and started looking for ways to combat the media. In an ever increasing online world without the need as much for traditional media, surely Labour need a real strategy apart from just letting it happen? That and a leader who when on camera in their own words can actually communicate their point. The media aren't going anywhere, but they are changing. Labour need a strategy to deal with them, in a more effective level.

The alternative is more of this shit.
This is why we need the younger progressive Labour members to stay, they have the skillset to combat the media through social media. Despite labour's loss I thought their campaign videos etc were very good.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Agreed. Will be interesting to see the runners and riders. Realistically this is a Kinnock type role, not the next PM.
Yes indeed. And I would urge anyone to look at the Kinnock Speach on youtube where he declared war on the Militant Tendency. Now that was real passion.

We must all admit that this defeat was not something done to Labour. It was done by Labour and the country gave it their verdict. NO.

The only way back for Labour is to rid itself of the far Left faction and occupy the Centre ground which has been vacated by the Tories.
Do that and come up with modern progressive policies with a modern progressive leader and the next election will take care of itself.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
That’s why I think someone like Jarvis is a good tactical bet. The media would have to be somewhat careful if they went after his patriotism or honour given his active military service.

He would also nicely answer the antisemitism question being a member of Labour Friends of Israel, and go some way to rebuilding Labour’s image as a party that is proud of Britain’s history.
I think you would make a good leader, Mike. You'd probably have to work on your accent though.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Kier Starmer. Has enough credibility to carry both sides of the party.
Momentum crew hate her.
Even better, Jess Phillips for me.
If momentum hate Phillips, then her. Because whoever they pick is likely to be another inept puppet.

She gave a great speech last night on why Labour lost, and didn't even knife Corbyn.
Whether we like it or not, Momentum are big players in the Labour party. The last thing we need is another war.