Next Man Utd Manager Expected To Be Jose Mourinho Or David Moyes

Crustanoid

Barcelona manager Pep Guardiola is keen on working with Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United rather than taking the Chelsea job as has been reported.

The former midfield star’s three-year contract with Barcelona finishes at the end of the season and reports suggest that he wants to move into coaching in England by joining Fergie at Old Trafford.

A Barcelona source told MirrorFootball: "It seems that Pep really would be keen on working with Sir Alex, if that was possible. It would allow him to come to terms with England under the guidance of the best."

Guardiola has been heavily linked with the top job at Chelsea for when Carlo Ancelotti leaves but news has emerged indicating he would love to step into the role with United and wants Ferguson to stay on as a mentor.

Barcelona boss Guardiola insists he wants Man Utd job | Premiership News | tribalfootball.com

sorry if posted elsewhere.
Whilst it's probably bullshit, I'd prefer him to Mourinho

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Moyes it not even the best british option. I dont fancy Mourinho either. He is not what this club is about.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
There could be someone completely different in the frame by the time Fergie decides to hang up his, erm, chewing gum. In two or three years time we could all be saying Neil Warnock or Mick MaCarthy should get it.

MiamiSpartan

Jose Mourinho: I'd never betray Chelsea | The Sun |Sport|Football

Notice how the headline states he'd never betray chelsea, but the quotes state that he'd never go to a rival of Madrid or Inter.

Perhaps he wasn't "happy" at Chelsea. He'd bite Gill's hand off to be Fergie's replacement in a few years.
Yeah, he's got a massive hard on for the United job. It's been quite bizarre, he's done everything short of flat out begging for the job.

He also says in the article that he would like to coach a big club in England. Any big club could be considered a rival of Chelsea (same for any big club in Italy as a rival for Inter). So I'm thinking he must be talking about more traditional rivals, not just rivals because both clubs are good.

But I have big reservations about him coaching at United. Not with his skills at managing a team in a given year, but rather about building a team, especially building a team the United way. I think he could win trophies at United, but he would damage the soul of the club.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Am I the only who thinks Ole's move to Molde is an indication that Ole will be considered for the United job in the future?

You know, stepping out of his comfort zone, gain experience coaching on his own and all that.

Red For Ever

There is no doubt Jose would keep us a winning team, and he would certainly provide us with lots of entertainment, but I still dont feel enthused at his possible appointment. Moyes has done a fantastic job at Everton, he constantly gets them punching above their weight, but again don't fancy him really. Then again I remember not fancying the guy from Aberdeen who was appointed way back in 1986, I have no idea who should be next, what I do know, following SAF is going to be a nightmare. I remember what a nightmare it was following Sir Matt, pressure was massive then, but it will be even greater now.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Am I the only who thinks Ole's move to Molde is an indication that Ole will be considered for the United job in the future?

You know, stepping out of his comfort zone, gain experience coaching on his own and all that.
I heard him interviewed a while back and he said he'd love to take over at Utd but that he needed to learn his trade and he wouldn't forsee it being even a possibility for 10-15 years

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Odd interview. Odd headline. Odd thing to say and then ignore Chelsea, especially as he usually seems to imply Chelsea was a great time for him and he loves the PL.

Begs the question, are Chelsea really our rivals? Obviously they're professional rivals, but of the Big 4, they're also probably our least rivalled rivals despite being our most prominent ones over the last 5 years..Liverpool & Arsenal are far more so, and below the Top 4 City are obviously well ahead as well ..It's mainly due to a lack of history I suppose, and far fewer grudge matches than against the Arse....So yes they're down the list.

But that's from our perspective. Do Chelsea consider us rivals? I'd guess they'd hate Arsenal more so, but historically West Ham and Fulham would be there too, and he clearly can't be talking about them. Plus there's bad blood with Liverpool there both in the past and recently. But what about Moscow? They must hold a grudge there? Even so, I guess we simply aren't Chelsea's rivals. Odd, but it makes some kind of sense. I've certainly never considered the matches as grudging as the others. Possibly because it's never usually as good a game.

Cal?

CR7 fan

Sir Alex will retire too soon for Ole to build any kind of reputation, unless he somehow manages to take Molde into the CL latter stages.

Perhaps after Mourinho.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Odd interview. Odd headline. Odd thing to say and then ignore Chelsea, especially as he usually seems to imply Chelsea was a great time for him and he loves the PL.

Begs the question, are Chelsea really our rivals? Obviously they're professional rivals, but of the Big 4, they're also probably our least rivalled rivals despite being our most prominent ones over the last 5 years..Liverpool & Arsenal are far more so, and below that City clearly ahead as well ...Mainly due to a lack of history I suppose, and far fewer grudge matches than against the Arse....So yes they're down the list.

But that's from our perspective. Do Chelsea consider us rivals? I'd guess Arsenal more so, but historically West Ham and Fulham would be too, and he's clearly can't be talking about them. Plus there's bad blood with Liverpool there too both in the past and recently. So I guess we simply aren't Chelsea's rivals. Odd, but it makes some kind of sense.
Chelsea are always the one I'd prefer to win the league (realistically) if United don't. I can't stand the idea of Arsene's babies or Sheikh's playthings or the Scousers (unrealistically) win it.

Mockney

True. But then he'd be talking from their POV not ours...How hated are we to Chelski fans? My Chelsea mates don't seem to hate us that much in truth.

duffer? Brian?...Of the PL clubs Jose could concieveably go to, which would you prefer? That would be his MO.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
But that's from our perspective. Do Chelsea consider us rivals? I'd guess they'd hate Arsenal more so, but historically West Ham and Fulham would be there too, and he clearly can't be talking about them. Plus there's bad blood with Liverpool there both in the past and recently. But what about Moscow? They must hold a grudge there? Even so, I guess we simply aren't Chelsea's rivals. Odd, but it makes some kind of sense. I've certainly never considered the matches as grudging as the others. Possibly because it's never usually as good a game.
I don't consider United to be our rivals in the way you are with Liverpool or Spurs are with Arsenal. Not at all.

League position aside I get the most pleasure out of beating Spurs or Leeds, the feeling is not mutual (although they hate us, we're not the team those clubs want to beat the most) but that does not really matter.

As for Jose, I would hate to see him in charge at United, absolutely hate it.

Mockney

But if he HAD to go to one club, an a realistic one, which would annoy you least (or most) Arse, Pool, Us or City?...Well, ignore City, it's probably them, but Arse, Pool or us? Would you consider it a betray as we did with Tevez or Heinze?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
But if he HAD to go to one club, an a realistic one, which would annoy you least (or most) Arse, Pool, Us or City?...Well, ignore City, it's probably them, but Arse, Pool or us?
I think Arsenal is just not a possiblity.

Liverpool or United? That's like asking me to chose Mel Gibson or Charlie Sheen to marry my sister. I'll choose United (the Charlie Sheen to Liverpool's Gibson). Sadly if it happens I predict much more #Winning.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
Jose never struck me as a long term manager, he works his magic in the first couple of seasons but his personality and style wears out the welcome quite quickly. He is the best at instilling the "win now at all costs" mentality, but I'm not sure he's the type to build the team over a long period of time. Many Chelsea fans like to bash Roman for parting ways with Mourinho but here's an interesting fact: his longest stint as a manager to date still remains his tenure at Stamford Bridge. I doubt he'll last at Bernabeu much longer,either.

City is the best option for him, imo. They've got the money, the ambition and they're desperate for success. He is the dream option for them.

Mockney

But how would you feel if he came here?..Betrayal? Mild annoyance? Would you clap him grudgingly or even heroically in the home fixture?

redpie

Mourinho back in England? Could only be Chelsea to finish the job and win the Champions League or the money no object new project clean slate that is City.
Nothing fits with the special one and United.
No vacancy. Little money. Too much recent success.

dmode

i'd like to get someone that not a lot of people don't know...

RedRover

Yeah, he's got a massive hard on for the United job. It's been quite bizarre, he's done everything short of flat out begging for the job.

He also says in the article that he would like to coach a big club in England. Any big club could be considered a rival of Chelsea (same for any big club in Italy as a rival for Inter). So I'm thinking he must be talking about more traditional rivals, not just rivals because both clubs are good.

But I have big reservations about him coaching at United. Not with his skills at managing a team in a given year, but rather about building a team, especially building a team the United way. I think he could win trophies at United, but he would damage the soul of the club.
This mystifies me, but it seems people don't really want him to manage United.

In my view he's Fergie's perfect replacement. I cant think of any other manager with the reputation or strength of character to fill his boots. When Fergie retires United need another winner, because the pressure will be immense.

Mourinho is very much like Fergie in his abrasive attitude and dealing with the press, but he's enough of a personality and enough of his "own man" to avoid comparisons to arguably the greatest manager who ever lived.

There seems to be this myth that his teams don't play exciting football. They certainly don't all the time but the current Real sides is great going forward. His record in the transfer market is largely very good - looking at the likes of Essien, Drogba and Carvalho as players who were little known but became big stars, and tactically there is no better manager in the world.

I cant really see who else is an option? Guardiola may never leave Barca, and seems not to be committed to management long term. He's also working within a well defined structure at Barca, feeding top class young players year on year into a side filled with the worlds best players, building on a process started by Cruyff and developed by the likes of Rijkaard. Frankly his skill in the transfer market is largely untested with the president semingly doing all the buying and selling.

Moyes is another strange one. He's done well at Everton on limited funds and over achieved. Thats not the same though as having the money and being expected to win every season. He's also a younger scottish manager so the comparisons to Fergie are clear - that will put him under unbelieveable pressure.

RedRover

Sir Alex will retire too soon for Ole to build any kind of reputation, unless he somehow manages to take Molde into the CL latter stages.

Perhaps after Mourinho.
I seem to recall in an interview recently he suggested he wouldn't be ready to manage United for "another 20 years", and that was why he was leaving to get some real experience.

Always good to see an old player take charge of a club. Hopefully he'll do well in Norway.

Ringo 07

I have a feeling Mourinho wil end up back at Chelsea or stay at Real!
Villa Boas is going to be a class act. He is probably already at Mourinhos level and used to work under Mourinho so knows all his secrets. He has done wonders with Porto this year playing great football. Then Deschamps in France is looking like a good bet for a top team soon.
Owen Coyle seems to be the best British option seem as his teams win playing nice football without Coyle spending any money!! He needs another year or two before we can judge more but he looks like he has a massive career in the game and will at the very least end up managing somewhere like Tottenham in the near future. If Fergie could train Coyle for a season then I wouldnt mind him as he could stay for 20 years!! But he could be pants next season so lets wait and see but Andy Cole says he was the best manager he played under along with Fergie!
I seriously doubt Ole will ever get close to being United manager!

Sniggleton

Perhaps after Mourinho.
This is sort of stupid, considering Pep was 37-38 when he jumped into the Barca hotseat and performed to Barca supporters' standards (and beyond). Unless your thesis is that Pep is somehow unique and beyond Ole's poor ability...?

Sir A1ex

This is sort of stupid, considering Pep was 37-38 when he jumped into the Barca hotseat and performed to Barca supporters' standards (and beyond). Unless your thesis is that Pep is somehow unique and beyond Ole's poor ability...?
There is a general theory that Pep's job as a European style coach is very different to managing United. Not sure how accurate the theory is, or if the issue is unsurmountable (Ole as coach with a senior director of football or something? doesn't appeal really tbh).

acnumber9

I don't get this call for Solskjaer. How does anyone know of his coaching ability? How many ex United players haven been touted for Fergie's job and then gone on to thoroughly crap at managment. Robson got it for years, then Cantona, then Keane and now it's Solskjaer. Giving the job to somebody inexperienced is too big a risk.