Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He's the one that's briefed everybody that he's desperate to come RIGHT NOW
RMC says that he refuse to comment on rumours that he didn't create, they also say that they will grill him tomorrow. We will see if he cracks.

AndySmith1990

It's starting to look inevitable. We'll get Poch and PSG will hire Zidane. I'm feeling perfectly fine with that. In fact out of all the managers post Ferguson I'd say I feel more optimistic about him than any of them.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Shame Cloughie isn’t around anymore. He would have been brilliant with the players & board of directors.
I watched I Believe In Miracles last night, purely because if I could pick any manager through history besides prime Fergie to get the job now, it would be him.

Infra-red

Looks like Pochettino wants out (or at least doesn't want to risk missing out on the United job by staying at PSG till the end of the season).

I have no doubt that if it's a genuine choice between Pochettino now or Ten Hag/Rodgers in the summer, that the Board will take the former option.

The positives are that he's an upgrade on Solskjaer and, if these reports are to be believed, he really, really wants to manage United. Apparently he has a great relationship with SAF, too, which cannot hurt.

The negative, is that we will quite likely come to regret missing out on Ten Hag when we had the opportunity to get him.

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
First off, at the moment there is no real indication that Hag even wants to come here. I wouldn't put my faith in rumors and what not. Second, your scenario basically means we throw this entire season away, potentially miss out on top 4 which would be an unmitigated disaster given our wage bill and players, waste a year out of these players careers (almost all of them are in their prime, not young kids) and then have faith that Hag would turn successful. What if he is not though? What if he fails? What exactly do we do then? Waste another season?
Well his interview yesterday was in stark contrast to his flat denial about Barca...so that's something. We're not going to know much more than that at this stage.

In terms of the overall scenario, no doubt Ten Hag is a risk but massively worth taking IMO. We've got to bring in an up and coming manager with a chance of being a big success and not a 'big name'. This is particularly the case given that there really aren't any standout candidates as an alternative.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get him right now and best scenario would be just go to Ajax and buy out his contract. Failing that, I'd rather wait to get him in 6 months time rather than not getting him at all.

Keefy18

Him not fixing Dele Ali and him dropping Moura for the Champions League final go against him for me but we could do worse for sure.

Conte, Guardiola, Jose and Klopp I would say are the best managers of the last 10 years.

To compete against them we need the best of the rest and there's an argument for Pochettino. His Premier League experience puts him ahead of Ten Hag and even Zidane for me.

It's a shame we missed out on the top top managers by picking Moyes, LVG, and Ole.

I would actually want Jose in charge again with this squad. This is the type of squad he wanted in his 3rd season.

We'll never know if he would've been able to build on his 2nd position if he had been backed with the players and money that Ole was (Maguire, AWB, Bruno, Sancho, Cavani and Ronaldo).

There's no doubt he would've done better than Ole did with the squad this season though.
He absolutely was backed, make no mistake about it. This argument needs to stop.

Chairman Steve

Our relationship with PSG is pretty decent is it not? Sir Alex went over to their Manchester hotel to meet Al-KhelaifI and Poch earlier this year when they played City in the CL Semis. I can buy that Zidane would take on the PSG job and PSG wanting him because he’s Mr 3 In A Row for the trophy they truly want.

Plus Zidane seems more a better fit for that PSG team, and Poch is better for the Utd team.

Simultaneously, Zidane and Poch will be the first two managers who managed both Ronaldo and Messi.

HailtotheKing

If Poch is willing to come now, then let's make him the interim manager on a 9-month contract. If he's good, he gets the gig. If he fails, Ten Hag gets the gig.
Genius. Not sure anyone would go for that though. Giving up PSG where you could win the Champions League, managing Messi, Neymar and Mbappe, to come to the chaos of United with only 9 months before you could be totally out of work again. One hell of a risk.

Dansk

2015/16: 2nd most goals scored in the league, two goals behind City. Spurs also had the league's best GD that season, conceding the least of all 19 clubs.
2016/17: most goals scored in the league. Also least conceded and best GD.
2017/18: 3rd most goals scored.

His last season wasn't too impressive, but for most of his stint at Spurs, he was doing absolutely phenomenal things for a club of its stature. And while he did get sacked in the end, he had been there for five years by then and they mainly sacked him because they had the opportunity to get Mourinho literally the very next day. It's not as if he left in disgrace, they just wanted to see if they could climb even further than they had under Poch. And of course they didn't. They plummeted instantaneously after Poch left, finishing 6th and 7th under Mourinho whereas Poch had kept them in consistent top 4 finishes except for his first one in 2014/15 where we bumped them down to 5th at the very end of the season.

Poch did an incredible job at Spurs, and while he's clearly uneasy in Paris, they're 11 points clear in the league and undefeated in the CL. I would never fault any manager for being uncomfortable at PSG, that club is a circus and the players are impossible to handle. They've had six different managers in the last decade, most of whom stayed only one or two years. That job is a nightmare for anyone and it says nothing whatsoever about Pochettino himself. If anything, I get the sense that he's too much of a professional for that place.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Paying compensation to PSG for a manager that they're going to sack soon anyway. Typical of us.
Why would they sack him soon? Hes 11 points clear of 1st in the league and going to qualify his group from Champions League.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.

All the pieces are coming together, i think this is a goer

Dravy

This dichotomy being painted that Ten Hag is too much of a risk, making Poch a safer choice is some what baffling to me.

Both could be equally disastrous either way, there's an equal risk because neither have been Manchester United manager previously.

I do agree Ten Hag would want structural changes at the club, but we need structural changes regardless of the manager.

The way we're setup is a detriment, not a benefit, regardless if it's Poch or Ten Hag.

It's not out of the possibilities though that we fail utterly with Poch and then Ten Hag joins a rival and shows up our board, throwing salt in the wound.

For me the difference would be who wants it more, and currently that looks like Poch; it's up to Erik to change that though.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I watched I Believe In Miracles last night, purely because if I could pick any manager through history besides prime Fergie to get the job now, it would be him.
Snap! So did I…

Although Clough is rightly revered within the game, there was definitely a ‘vibes man’ about him. His players, pretty much to a man, say there was no tactics talks to speak of pre-match. That wouldn’t fly nowadays of course, but back then in the ‘70s, before sports science, performance data and the tactical evolution we’ve seen since, it wasn’t an issue.

Peter Taylor was every bit the genius Clough was, IMO. Had a great eye for a player and the two of them worked so, so well together. Clough adored Taylor (see Taylor leading out the Forest team for the 1978 League Cup Final… imagine a manager doing that now?! :lol: ) and was humble enough - despite the arrogant persona attributed to him - to realise he was immeasurably better with his trusted sidekick.

It is a great watch, mind. Loved every bit of it. What a player John Robertson was, eh? :drool:

JPRouve

Scout
He wanted Varane and Maguire didn't he?

He got Lindelof and Bailly....
Varane wasn't for sale and didn't want to leave, Leicester were allegedly asking for +100m after the World Cup hype and he got Bailly and Lindelof the previous years.

RepardReece

He wanted Varane and Maguire didn't he?

He got Lindelof and Bailly....
He wasn't backed in the third season I do agree but he also wanted ageing players like Willian... Not to mention if I remember correctly he wanted Matic ahead of Fabinho.
Glad he wasn't in the end, imagine if we bought Willian.

JPRouve

Scout
He wasn't backed in the third season I do agree but he also wanted ageing players like Willian... Not to mention if I remember correctly he wanted Matic ahead of Fabinho.
Glad he wasn't in the end, imagine if we bought Willian.
He was backed in the third too. People seem to conveniently ignore that we added Sanchez 6 months earlier with the summer budget, we then added Fred and Dalot for 80m.

Last edited:

spiriticon

RMC says that he refuse to comment on rumours that he didn't create, they also say that they will grill him tomorrow. We will see if he cracks.
Yeah let's see. I find it strange that he's willing to give up a league title and a good shot at the CL in the middle of the season, if the rumours are true.

Strats

Knowing our board its just a matter of time until this with Pochettino falls apart and they pay Leicester in panic for Rodgers

FerociousCorgis

Yeah let's see. I find it strange that he's willing to give up a league title and a good shot at the CL in the middle of the season, if the rumours are true.
yeah i assume he knows psg prob wont be long term, but man considering the main knock on him is that he hasnt really won anything dropping a sure thing in the league title and then a good chance at CL for a team where either will be years away seems....weird timing wise

OleBoiii

Well if it’s Poch, this is a chance to prove himself or be forever known as a bottler
To be fair to Poch: as far as top jobs go, the United job is evidently not that easy. Van Gaal and Mourinho had excellent resumes and spent big, but they still failed.

It would be tragic for Poch if he failed at United and never got another top job. We can meme about the farmer's league, but at least it's a league title. If he's walking away from that(and that attack), then I reckon things must be quite toxic behind the scenes.

HailtotheKing

The next manager should only get 18 months contract or at most 2 years. Evaluate then see if he deserves an extension later or not.

Hope we never give any manager 3 years contract again. 18 months is the new way.
Yeah, we'd have to be absolutely bonkers to do that, having extended and paid off 3 managers in a row after giving them long contracts. Then again, we are.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
People are a bit too hung up on Ten Hag. While I'd have been glad to get him, the fact of the matter is that he hasn't got much of a pedigree. He has only coached for real in the Netherlands, and not for very long, and nobody knows how he might handle a big club because he's never been at one. Not even as a player. We like to fantasize about him being the next Pep/Klopp, but the reality is that we have no idea whatsoever if he would be any kind of success at all. He could just as easily be a disaster. I would welcome giving him the chance to show what he can do, but no one can say that we're definitely missing out on something big. We would be taking a gamble with Ten Hag much moreso than with Poch.

The Dutch league is not exactly a cutthroat competition when you're in charge of Ajax, the club that wins it more often than not. Pochettino took Spurs to the CL final, and while things aren't exactly harmonious for him right now at PSG, that club is notoriously unmanagable. And despite that, they're 11 points clear in Ligue 1 and undefeated thus far in the CL. He'll stroll the league if he stays in France and he led Spurs to their biggest achievement in the modern era. That's infinitely more impressive than winning the Eresdivisie with Ajax.

There are countless managers who impress domestically in smaller leagues but never make it on the big stage. We've only ever seen Ten Hag in the Netherlands as a player and as a first team coach. He has done quite well in Europe by the standards of a club like Ajax, but he hasn't exactly created miracles. He has just done a bit better than you'd expect. We have no notion if he has the competencies to manage a football giant because he has never done it before or even played for a big club.
Agree with this. Ten Hagg is the unknown quantity so a bit more exciting in what could be but Pochettino certainly has the better credentials for the job right now.

Poch is the boring choice I guess, and doesn't excite.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
This dichotomy being painted that Ten Hag is too much of a risk, making Poch a safer choice is some what baffling to me.

Both could be equally disastrous either way, there's an equal risk because neither have been Manchester United manager previously.

I do agree Ten Hag would want structural changes at the club, but we need structural changes regardless of the manager.

The way we're setup is a detriment, not a benefit, regardless if it's Poch or Ten Hag.

It's not out of the possibilities though that we fail utterly with Poch and then Ten Hag joins a rival and shows up our board, throwing salt in the wound.

For me the difference would be who wants it more, and currently that looks like Poch; it's up to Erik to change that though.
the problem is the board don’t want the structural changes

RepardReece

He was backed in the third two. People seem to conveniently ignore that we added Sanchez 6 months earlier with the summer budget, we then added Fred and Dalot for 80m.
By backed I mean his targets. We brought in both Sanchez and Fred purely to stop City from buying them really.

largelyworried

Probably money, maybe managing one of the biggest clubs in the world?
He's all but guaranteed a job at one of the super clubs as it is, why sign up for us when we're not even guaranteed to be in the CL next year and Bayern, Real, Chelsea or whoever else could be available at the end of the season for all we know? It's one thing to sign for us now and take charge, but to pre-sign to a club in crisis and rule out everyone other club would be a pretty stupid decision on his part.

Status
Not open for further replies.