Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
He was backed in the third two. People seem to conveniently ignore that we added Sanchez 6 months earlier with the summer budget, we then added Fred and Dalot for 80m.
Looking at that, written down. Horrifying isn't it.
The way this club's been run...

BeltUp

Supports
United
yeah i assume he knows psg prob wont be long term, but man considering the main knock on him is that he hasnt really won anything dropping a sure thing in the league title and then a good chance at CL for a team where either will be years away seems....weird timing wise
Perfect timing - batter City and then ride into Manchester as a hero and take the reins as the new United manager. :cool:

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I do agree Ten Hag would want structural changes at the club, but we need structural changes regardless of the manager.

The way we're setup is a detriment, not a benefit, regardless if it's Poch or Ten Hag.
Not to the Glazers' dividends. That's the problem. It will always be the problem till they go.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Agree with this. Ten Hagg is the unknown quantity so a bit more exciting in what could be but Pochettino certainly has the better credentials for the job right now.

Poch is the boring choice I guess, and doesn't excite.
Pochettino got Tottenham to play some excellent football.

Keefy18

He wanted Varane and Maguire didn't he?

He got Lindelof and Bailly....
As has been pointed out Varane wasn't ready to leave at the time, you don't always get what you want.

As you pointed out he got 2 CB's as is, he doubled our wage bill in a 2 year period and spent more than Ole, how is that not being backed?

Can you elaborate and compare to how Ole was backed?
Both managers were backed.

I've no doubt Ole didn't get all the players his heart desired either, I mean we needed a CM and we certainly did chase Camavinga for example, didn't get him as his preferred choice was Real.

The constant moaning about Jose not getting a 3rd CB after already been given Bailly and Lindelof whilst ignoring both in favor of Jones and Smalling for the most part is ridiculous.

Devred

The more I think about it, the more I think Poch is the right fit. Premier League experience (there's a world of difference between the PL and the Dutch league), Took Spurs to within touching distance of major trophies despite having a miserable amount of money for transfers, developed young talent into top players and would be willing to move now. ETH is a top coach but would be more of a gamble IMHO. Forget the rest. Just saying.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Not to the Glazers' dividends. That's the problem. It will always be the problem till they go.
It actually is because we are leaving nearly 100m on the table while investing in the team like a CL contender. People seem to think that the Glazers are calculative when they are just a bit dumb.

Edit: Those millions increase dividends by quite a bit.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Well if this does happen, almost seems like they may have made the right decision to act early, for once.

ED_209

Supports
Coritiba
Pochettino seems to be the perfect guy to continue with what the board has been doing: Trying to stay in the top 4 and maybe win a cup every now and then.

crossy1686

career ending
He wanted Varane and Maguire didn't he?

He got Lindelof and Bailly....
Feckinhell, he probably wanted Messi, Ronaldo, Kroos, Modric and Bale too but he got other options he signed off on seeing as they all weren't available. There's being backed and there's living in a fantasy land that only exists in Jose's head.

And on Maguire, we signed him, for £50m, then Jose vetoed it because he said he'd get hammered in the press after giving Pep shit for spending £50m on fullbacks.

Rolaholic

Does it matter? This argument only stands until he wins something big. People said the same about Klopp, and then he won something and this noise went away
Klopp actually won the league before Liverpool though, his Dortmund were the best team in Germany from 2010-2013

wolvored

As has been pointed out Varane wasn't ready to leave at the time, you don't always get what you want.

As you pointed out he got 2 CB's as is, he doubled our wage bill in a 2 year period and spent more than Ole, how is that not being backed?
No he didnt. VG was backed Mourinho was backed, but none were backed as much as Ole.

USREDEVIL

Does it matter? This argument only stands until he wins something big. People said the same about Klopp, and then he won something and this noise went away
It's the easiest non-issue argument to make. If he had coached a top team for several years i think it would be relevant.

Withnail

Feckinhell, he probably wanted Messi, Ronaldo, Kroos, Modric and Bale too but he got other options he signed off on seeing as they all weren't available. There's being backed and there's living in a fantasy land that only exists in Jose's head.

And on Maguire, we signed him, for £50m, then Jose vetoed it because he said he'd get hammered in the press after giving Pep shit for spending £50m on fullbacks.
I'd not heard that before but then he kicked up a stink over not being backed didn't he?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
To be fair to Poch: as far as top jobs go, the United job is evidently not that easy. Van Gaal and Mourinho had excellent resumes and spent big, but they still failed.

It would be tragic for Poch if he failed at United and never got another top job. We can meme about the farmer's league, but at least it's a league title. If he's walking away from that(and that attack), then I reckon things must be quite toxic behind the scenes.
Or else he really is in love with the idea of managing United

but yeah strange decision, maybe he feels the sack coming. PSG probably gonna move on zidane early as we were sniffing around

crossy1686

career ending
I'd not heard that before but then he kicked up a stink over not being backed didn't he?
First Google search I found but there are more credible sources if anyone wants to take a deep dive: https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/16/manc...man-utd-jose-mourinho-harry-maguire-11169116/

Yeah he did, kicked off about not being backed in the window despite reports saying otherwise. He also used to have massive go's at the logistics team for the coaches/flights/hotels they would book for away games, despite there being no other way to travel to and from the venues. The guy was just putting a wrecking ball through everything he touched really.

Dravy

the problem is the board don’t want the structural changes
I agree. Eventually though you've got to come to the conclusion that the decisions you've been making as a board haven't been working, and structural changes are simply mandatory for the health of the club (both as a football club and a business).

It just feels like there's way too many corners being cut, both currently and historically, and pulling a City-esque move of "give us Ten Hag, give us Van De Sar, give us Overmars!" is simply a requirement.

I'd make the same argument for Poch though to be fair, I just don't have much hope for Poch with the current setup, I don't think anyone could do it (outside of inventing a time machine and bringing in treble winning Ferguson).

Dansk

yeah i assume he knows psg prob wont be long term, but man considering the main knock on him is that he hasnt really won anything dropping a sure thing in the league title and then a good chance at CL for a team where either will be years away seems....weird timing wise
Some managers do think about other things than trophy tally, though. Fans are not the only ones who think it's more impressive when a manager takes on a real challenge and succeeds, rather than opting for the lowest-hanging fruit. PSG have won the league in all but two seasons in the last decade, so it really doesn't count for very much. Look at Klopp, he could certainly have found an easier route to trophies than Liverpool in 2015, but he wanted to make a legacy for himself. It's not unheard-of for managers to want to prove themselves and show the world that they can do something not everyone can do. I think it's encouraging, if anything. A manager wanting to leave PSG who are already almost guaranteed to win the league, being 11 points clear after fourteen games, in favor of United and the difficult task that awaits him here, is rather flattering for us.

Sure, he could finally get that trophy under his belt, but it'll always come with a note of "yeah, well, it was Ligue 1 with PSG. Big whoop." Maybe he's a romantic and wants his first league title to come with the added glory of being the man who led United to rise from the ashes. And his family is already in England and used to the culture, so there's that. Hell, his own son plays in the PL (sort of; he's a reserve at Watford) so it's likely that Poch sees the PL as a much more appealing trophy.

Last edited:

Suv666

but yeah strange decision, maybe he feels the sack coming. PSG probably gonna move on zidane early as we were sniffing around
It must be really toxic for Poch to be so desperate. Its a guaranteed league title and a chance to wipe off the "haven't won a trophy" reputation

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

His wife and kids also live in London and he's been apart from them for a good chunk of the pandemic, so there might be more banal personal reasons for him wanting to return to the UK asap as well.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not 100% sure on Poch, but if we can get him our of PSG we've done amazing there.
You feel that like Jose we have to scratch that itch and get it out our system.
Ignore he got sacked from Tottenham and remember he almost did the unthinkable with them, winning.

crossy1686

career ending
It's the easiest non-issue argument to make. If he had coached a top team for several years i think it would be relevant.
Most coaches haven't won anything, despite Poch winning a cup with PSG this season. Then they get to a big team if they're good at their job and then they win stuff, like Poch will this season if he stays at PSG. It's a daft argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.