g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amsterdam Devil

Genuine question- when was the last time a player came from Dutch league and made an instant impact? Suarez ? Almost 8-9 years back ?
I understand what you mean but look at how he’s playing for the Brazilian national team as well. He is better than Raphinha.

croadyman

Ten Hag, Enrique and Potter all should be above Pochettino, not going to include Nagelsmann or Flick as neither leaving

padzilla

Hipster
Poch fits the Glazer mould of managers who peaked years ago and are on the decline.
It's inevitable we will appoint him and rue the decision yet again.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Mods please don’t!! Let’s be unified that RR should be going upstairs and not doing this whole Ole thing again.
No, lets let people have their own opinions.

Him staying an extra year before an Enrique hire is my 2nd choice anyway, behind ETH.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

More From the article :

- A complicating factor when it comes to holding conversations regarding an appointment is that individuals like Pochettino and Ten Hag are occupying high-profile jobs with major honours to play for, making discussions potentially difficult and sensitive.

- Various stages will now follow as United attempt to run a thorough procedure and get their new man in place with as much time as possible to prepare for the 2022-23 campaign

Also on another note:

- There was a sense of dismay inside Old Trafford when United subsequently learned that their new head of fan engagement was previously known for apparently trying to cause trouble for one of Woodward’s close associates

- The new head of fan engagement has told United it was a silly comment that he now regrets. United's spokesperson has confirmed that he has apologized and the apology was accepted. The post was from two years ago

Taken from Reddit post

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I wonder how will we conduct interviews for Managers who already hold position. This has to be kept away from media because it can potentially derail other club season

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

More From the article :

- A complicating factor when it comes to holding conversations regarding an appointment is that individuals like Pochettino and Ten Hag are occupying high-profile jobs with major honours to play for, making discussions potentially difficult and sensitive.

- Various stages will now follow as United attempt to run a thorough procedure and get their new man in place with as much time as possible to prepare for the 2022-23 campaign

Also on another note:

- There was a sense of dismay inside Old Trafford when United subsequently learned that their new head of fan engagement was previously known for apparently trying to cause trouble for one of Woodward’s close associates

- The new head of fan engagement has told United it was a silly comment that he now regrets. United's spokesperson has confirmed that he has apologized and the apology was accepted. The post was from two years ago

Taken from Reddit post
Bit of a nothing article then

Telsim

Poch fits the Glazer mould of managers who peaked years ago and are on the decline.
It's inevitable we will appoint him and rue the decision yet again.
It is the reason I think Pochettino has already been chosen. He is a Glazer appointment through and through. If it's Joel's wish, then so it shall be. The rest is theatrics.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
You have to register to read the Independent nowadays. Let me guess, Melissa Reddy puts a positive spin on Pochettino's failure to win any silverware at Spurs, claims he's got a great record with youth and is able to produce a team that plays very attractive football when I'd say his teams play decent football and that's it.

Football tribalism being the way it is means people will believe Reddy has an ulterior motive at play.

Last edited:

Telsim

I feel people need not read anything from Melissa Reddy. Particularly as it pertains to Manchester United's managerial appointment.

Someone

Something
Unrealistic that we're interviewing anyone who we could actually meet in the CL. Even if we crash out early, Poch winning the CL for example might keep him at PSG for longer. Maybe we've just identified our target, but doubt anything will take the place before the end of the season.

RkkMan

You have to register to read the Independent nowadays. Let me guess, Melissa Reddy puts a positive spin on Pochettino's failure to win any silverware at Spurs, claims he's got a great record with youth and is able to produce a team that plays very attractive football when I'd say his teams play decent football and that's it.

Football tribalism being the way it is means people will believe Reddy has an ulterior motive at play.
I've read it without subscription and she made a very great point saying Pochettino "committed the crime" of managing in a league where his strengths and weaknesses were clear to see whereas ETH has an unknown entity about him which makes him look like the shiny new toy despite the risks Ten Hag himself comes with

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I've read it without subscription and she made a very great point saying Pochettino "committed the crime" of managing in a league where his strengths and weaknesses were clear to see whereas ETH has an unknown entity about him which makes him look like the shiny new toy despite the risks Ten Hag himself comes with
She's right in what she says but a pointless article nonetheless.

Advocates of ETH are not pushing for him because he's a lesser risk. So she's got the complete wrong end of the interpretation.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
That's a fair point.

Classical Mechanic

I think it should be Poch considering the players that we have. A philosophy bro like Ten Hag is doomed to fail. If we're keeping DDG, Maguire, Rashford, Ronaldo etc we need someone a bit more pragmatic.

Mainoldo

Advocates of ETH are not pushing for him because he's a lesser risk. So she's got the complete wrong end of the interpretation.
Why are you pushing for ETH? I like him but I agree that people who are convinced he is better than Poch are doing so on no evidence.

Also RR and then Enrique doesn’t add up either. Had he said he’s quitting after the World Cup? Also is he the best manager in world football right now? Those would be the only reasons id be waiting?

Also for those who know. Who had a better spell at Espanyol? Poch or Enrique?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Why are you pushing for ETH? I like him but I agree that people who are convinced he is better than Poch are doing so on no evidence.

Also RR and then Enrique doesn’t add up either. Had he said he’s quitting after the World Cup? Also is he the best manager in world football right now? Those would be the only reasons id be waiting?

Poch had a much better spell at Espanyol than Luis Enrique did. It would have been impossible for him not to.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

ETH is more progressive in his style than Poch and shows a greater hunger to win trophies. The evidence on either manager being a hit at United is non existent.

I'd rather take the risk on him, but I do like Pochetino and he's still a safe pair of hands.

Enrique is a great coach - more established than either Poch or ETH. That in itself can warrant waiting - you don't need to be "the best in the world" but better than the options right now.

RkkMan

I personally have no problem with anyone who prefers ETH over Poch because they see him as a better fit. I have a problem with people who want ETH because they have this cynical and warped view that Pochettino is a reincarnation of Ole and yesterday's man that's lucky to be a manager at top level. He deserves a lot more respect than he's getting on this platform. If ETH is seen as a good fit for us Pochettino deserves to be in the conversation too

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I think it should be Poch considering the players that we have. A philosophy bro like Ten Hag is doomed to fail. If we're keeping DDG, Maguire, Rashford, Ronaldo etc we need someone a bit more pragmatic.
Ah, he's managing Ajax, so that must be all he's ever done and all he knows how to do. :lol:

He's been touted as a tactically astute and flexible manager capable of getting more than the sum of their parts out of a team since before he ever went near Ajax.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I personally have no problem with anyone who prefers ETH over Poch because they see him as a better fit. I have a problem with people who want ETH because they have this cynical and warped view that Pochettino is a reincarnation of Ole and yesterday's man that's lucky to be a manager at top level. He deserves a lot more respect than he's getting on this platform. If ETH is seen as a good fit for us Pochettino deserves to be in the conversation too
Poch is nothing like Ole. Ole is a terrible coach and shouldn't come near a PL Club.
I'm fine with Poch but I'd rather ETH because he comes across a lot more hungry in his desire to win trophies and his proactive stance to attractive football.

I think that both candidates would need a lot of time though. Their methods take ages to settle in - if I'm not mistaken ETH was almost sacked at Ajax before things kicked into gear.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

Yeah, this is pretty much it. Ten Hag might be the one to finally get us back competing at the top again, or he might be a Villas-Boas type flop. Poch would be more likely to safely steer us to 4th every year.

Unfortunately, I know which of those options the Glazers would probably prefer.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
ETH is a bigger risk than Poch and fans recognise that. Her point is moot. Fans just think ETH can reach a higher level.

pascell

ETH isn't an unknown entity, he has a very solid CL record.

Poch needed to go to PSG to get a trophy under his resumé, he got sacked when Spurs were 14th in the league so needed to get that jump back up in his profile.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I feel people need not read anything from Melissa Reddy. Particularly as it pertains to Manchester United's managerial appointment.
Isn't she Mane's girlfriend? Or am I thinking of someone else. But yeah, she's not worth her salt when it comes to covering United.

Mainoldo

ETH is more progressive in his style than Poch and shows a greater hunger to win trophies. The evidence on either manager being a hit at United is non existent.

I'd rather take the risk on him, but I do like Pochetino and he's still a safe pair of hands.

Enrique is a great coach - more established than either Poch or ETH. That in itself can warrant waiting - you don't need to be "the best in the world" but better than the options right now.
I hear you.

On Enrique I just don’t think he’s worth the wait. But he’s actually my favourite manager. I use to like Rose… however he clearly hasn’t learnt how to coach defending.

I’m all for ETH though just don’t think there’s much difference than Poch but I do like the idea of a better brand of football.

ronaldinhoisagoat

Mods - can you please add RR as an option ?
Why should RR be an option? If we finish the season in 5th, no trophies and no good cup run is that good enough? Right now we are technically 6th since both Spurs & Arsenal have games in hand.

Last edited:

Telsim

Isn't she Mane's girlfriend? Or am I thinking of someone else. But yeah, she's not worth her salt when it comes to covering United.
Rumored to be, but their relationship is unclear. She is what I'd call an unofficial Liverpool spokesperson and her personal investment there is well-known. I wouldn't trust her to be unbiased.

But even if she is, it's a nothing article. The same arguments that have been chewed here ad nauseam. Poch=Safe, Ten Hag=Risk.

We know this. No one really thinks Pochettino is not a good manager. He knows what he is doing. He is good enough to comfortably win 4th place each year, maybe even 3rd, win FA and Carabao. But his faculties are established by this point and most people who don't want him as manager simply do not believe he is capable of winning the highest accolades. Which is what this club should be doing - going after the PL and CL. Everyone recognizes Erik ten Hag as a risk. He is shrouded in doubt and mystery due to his short CV. Nobody knows for sure if he is capable, but the potential is there. He has shown hunger that Pochettino hasn't.

Will the club take the safe option once again or finally show some ambition and pick the risky one? It's what ultimately boils down to. And to be honest, I don't view Ten Hag as that risky. I fail to see how he could somehow turn out so much worse than Poch as to make him a bad decision in retrospect.

Last edited:

Rolaholic

Part of the allure of ETH, at least for me, is that he is a risk rather than the same uninspired 'safe' hires we've made a habit of making (bar Ole). Poch would absolutely represent the latter and the more 'business as usual' approach.

It's about time we took a punt at something new rather than the usual conventional wisdom at the club that's brought us nowhere near where we want to be as a club. There's more risk there but also more potential upside in my eyes

We Need Another Rebuild

For me Ten Hag is no risk - clearly highly touted been linke with Bayern before Flick but refused to leave midseason

Plays great football - was minutes away form a Champions league final on a fraction of the budget than Pochs spurs beat him to, during that season he dismantled Juventus & Madrid

Had the team picked apart by Europe's Elite & now has rebuilt his side with arguably Premier league rejects and youth prospects

For me he ticks all the boxes, plays attacking football, gives youth chances & rebuilt a side that can compete in the Champions League

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Let's face it, if this was 1986, the same arguments against Ten Haag would be levelled at SAF, won a farmers league and did much better in Europe than expected.

Many fans, including me, lost patience with him, but he went on to prove us all wrong, very wrong.

Liverpool had to be patient with Klopp too, don't forget.

Poch would be a safe pair of hands, for a few years. Ten Haag maybe has the potential to build something great.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
This is an issue don't you think? Catering to a 37 year old, 31 year old and 29 year old instead of the overall direction of the club? Ideally we should already be planning for the future without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.