Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

We Need Another Rebuild

I hope we don't get that master in failure Poch.

Can anyone tell me what is recent Philosophy is?

All I hear is that he likes to play this high pressing style, all I have seen since the 17/18 season is his teams sit in a low block and counter and rely on the opposition making mistakes.

The season they got to the CL Final, they never dominated a tie, yes his Spurs team knocked out ETH's Ajax, By the best game of Moura's career before or since, who he subsequently dropped for Kane.

Since that 2019 Final what has he actually done to deserve the United Job?

Nickelodeon

In my opinion, any argument for Poch should be centered around his league performances for Spurs rather than the CL final. Their CL run was as flukey as Di Matteo's for Chelsea (think Moura last minute winner, Sterling disallowed goal for shoulder offside).

Across his performances in the league, his best time came across 2015-16 (3rd, 70 points) and especially, 2016-17 (2nd, 86 points). Since then, it has been a downward spiral. In 2018-19 when they reached the CL final, Spurs barely got the 4th position by 1 point at a time when everyone was determined to not finish in the top 4 (there were 3 wins in 20 across the last 5 fixtures for Chelsea, United, Arsenal and Spurs).

His style of football is not great and we automatically know that in big matches, we're nailed on to be always sitting on the backfoot. You can make all arguments in his favor but going by our recent managerial hires, my personal preference is to pick a manager when they are on a high. On paper, we knew what Jose or LVG could bring but they were coming on the back of humiliating sacking or a long absence in club football.

Every manager is a gamble ultimately, but we should at least try to pick one who is on an upward trajectory.

ti vu

Damn, spot on. The excuses for Poch are endless it seems, while conveniently glossing over the man's repeated delivery of failure. After he took control over the signings at Tottenham it went pretty bad and it seems like only a few people remember how that team crashed during the final months of his tenure. But of course that is due to no fault of his. Just as the awful football PSG play is also due to no fault of his. It's always somebody else. Too little money, too much money, too many egos. Apparently he needs the pitch-perfect environment beforehand and then he will surely deliver? The man has proven absolutely nothing, but has also somehow conned so many people into thinking he is some world class manager. His a good mid-table manager. That's all.
I don't agree. I think he is a very good manager that can get his team to high level but with flaws. He seems to be the kind that prefer to work at his own pace, and be specific about what he needs. However, it's hard to see any clubs aspired to (eventually) achieve anything would follow that approach. You can't maintain underdog expectation forever, but demanding almost the impossible: buying good players that have no ego. Every team would try to buy those players, too. It would take forever to complete team full of great players with no ego.

Bestietom

We need to make sure we get the right manager in this time. We have some really good youngsters coming through and whoever takes the reins they must encourage our youth and give them a chance.

Rolaholic

What are you talking about? He is unsettled because his colleague / close friend has been behaving in a disgusting manner and now is no longer his colleague. What has that got to do with him needing the perfect set-up? What evidence do you have for this, the drop in first team performances?
Nothing just grasping at straws. Ten Hag didn't need a perfect set up to do what he did at Utrecht and Ajax hadn't won the league in 5 years before he joined. Using his displeasure over a situation of broken trust and negativity behind a close friend as a way to diminish his capability is a massive reach around.

AdNani

Not sure what you mean here but I assume you mean CL? There's always pressure on Bayern managers to do well there also. Poch spent many years in England and never won anything.
Bayern are probably the best run club in the world along with Ajax, if he's not successful there, long term, why would he be appealing but Poch hasn't impressed at PSG who are a shitshow

not saying we should hire Poch but he's being cast off for being shite when he's clearly a very good manager

AdNani

I’m almost convinced its going to be Pochettino now. I really really hole its ETH. If we get Pochettino and Harry Kane we’re going to be right back where we’ve been a few years down the road and looking for someone new when we win nothing. That United Muppetiers youtube channel seems convinced its Pochettino and almost has me convinced now

What a shambolic mistake this club would make if we got Pochettino and Kane
we're not getting kane

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I’m almost convinced its going to be Pochettino now. I really really hole its ETH. If we get Pochettino and Harry Kane we’re going to be right back where we’ve been a few years down the road and looking for someone new when we win nothing. That United Muppetiers youtube channel seems convinced its Pochettino and almost has me convinced now

What a shambolic mistake this club would make if we got Pochettino and Kane
Well isn't that damning evidence

Flexdegea

One thing we can agree is Poch or ETH will both be infinitely better than Ole.

I'm not sure about that. In Poch case he will literally have to win a cup and at least finish 2nd in league to say he be infinitely better because as it stands his football nothing to write home about. We tanked a lot of teams under Ole, football was good at times.

Hag will defo have us playing the way we should be playing. Why we should strike now while he just on the verge of great things in his managerial career........and not go with the guy who is has been manager at the moment who will be potentially sacked from his last 2 clubs and thinks trophies are for egos.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I'm not sure about that. In Poch case he will literally have to win a cup and at least finish 2nd in league to say he be infinitely better because as it stands his football nothing to write home about. We tanked a lot of teams under Ole, football was good at times.

Hag will defo have us playing the way we should be playing. Why we should strike now while he just on the verge of great things in his managerial career........and not go with the guy who is has been manager at the moment who will be potentially sacked from his last 2 clubs and thinks trophies are for egos.
All you have to think about is how Ole was floundering this season.

The way we went out of the CL and UEFA final last season was also diabolical.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Bayern are probably the best run club in the world along with Ajax, if he's not successful there, long term, why would he be appealing but Poch hasn't impressed at PSG who are a shitshow
No manager is successful at Bayern in the long term. Last one who fulfilled his contract was Pep, but that doesn't mean that their managers aren't appealing to other clubs.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Can anyone tell me what is recent Philosophy is?
That‘s also my issue with him nowadays. At Soton he was really high, relentless pressing. Same in his first to or three years at Spurs where he was a bit more flexible but still pressing hard and improving players. It’s been a while since he was doing anything on the edge. It might be that Spurs got old and PSG just won’t do it, but there’s a chance he’s lost that or been overtaken. The last thing United’s players need is someone trying to manage and meet them in the middle. It needs to be much more ruthless.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
From what I see, ETH is smart manager who can adapt with any formation given what he has. Like how he used false 9 with Tadic or traditional target man like Haller or slow CB like Blind as a left back or use inverted full back. The main tools he needs or must have is a keeper and back four who can play from the back very comfortably. Our current keeper and back four are shit to play from the back at the moment. This is not something you can coach easily if you are already at the age of over 20. I'm very certain that we need a new keeper if ETH is coming.

Kaos

From what I see, ETH is smart manager who can adapt with any formation given what he has. Like how he used false 9 with Tadic or traditional target man like Haller or Blind as a left back or use inverted full back. The main tools he needs or must have is a keeper and back four who can play from the back very comfortably. Our current keeper and back four are shit to play from the back at the moment.
Yeah, I feel De Gea will be a likely casualty if ETH is appointed. Ironically, I think Maguire will actually be OK since for all his faults (and my god there's a lot of them), his ball distribution is quite good. We just need to hope we keep possession enough or can counter-press effectively to prevent situations where he's one on one with an attacker :lol:

The fullbacks will need upgrading too, and thats irrespective of who are next manager is anyway.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yeah, I feel De Gea will be a likely casualty if ETH is appointed. Ironically, I think Maguire will actually be OK since for all his faults (and my god there's a lot of them), his ball distribution is quite good. We just need to hope we keep possession enough or can counter-press effectively to prevent situations where he's one on one with an attacker :lol:

The fullbacks will need upgrading too, and thats irrespective of who are next manager is anyway.
This season ETH doesn't play full back who offers good end product or width. He actually plays CB as his left back (Blind) and inverted right back that joins next to DM when in attacking transition. You could flip this into Lindelof plays as our right back while Shaw plays next to DM as inverted full back. Which I think we might be able to survive with our current full backs (Shaw, Telles, Lindelof, Dalot). I'm more concerned how ETH can play his system with keeper like DDG.

United in sin

What are you talking about? He is unsettled because his colleague / close friend has been behaving in a disgusting manner and now is no longer his colleague. What has that got to do with him needing the perfect set-up? What evidence do you have for this, the drop in first team performances?
I'm commenting on the escalation of exit reports following Overmars's dismissal. There's seemingly been some ripple effect from that event which some journalists like Fabrizio Romano and Mike Verweij for instance has alluded to in his podcast.

It's merely an opinion of mine not a foregone conclusion. Mike Verweij stated how Ten Hag and Overmars were a strong unit and it's been suggested Hag wasn't informed of the clubs decision to add Klaas Hunteelar to the technical staff.

You're probably in a better position than I to dispell or confirm the veracity of these reports and how they supposedly directly affect Ten Hag's future at Ajax

AdNani

And why is that? Wouldn't surprise me if Poch demands Kane's purchase before he agrees to come to Manchester. And you can be sure the club will oblige.
1. We can't afford him. With the amount of players leaving this summer we'll need 4/5 players minimum. Kane will cost 100/150 million.

2. City want him.

AdNani

No manager is successful at Bayern in the long term. Last one who fulfilled his contract was Pep, but that doesn't mean that their managers aren't appealing to other clubs.
fair enough i suppose, all the manager who are appealing presumably have a decent amount of success, even if it's only 2/3 years

Caesar2290

The way I see it, is De Gea will go under ETH which might be a blessing in disguise considering on what he is worth a week. Either Henderson/Heaton or Johnston(if we sign him) will be our next season's number 1.

CB wise we should be fine. Even the slow Maguire might have a renaissance because Ten Hag favors positional play and ball playing from his CBs. He might want to bring Timmber in as well. Very good prospect. FB wise, AWB will most likely go. Laird will take his place. The rest of the team is quiet tricky.

I think that he will bring Anthony, Haller and maybe Gravenberch with him. And before people say Haller flopped in the PL, it's important to remember that despite having all the necesarry attribute to make it in the PL, David Moyes used him out wide and had no idea how to get the most out of him. ETH on the other hand does. Definitely an option next to the ageing Ronaldo

L1nk

He may but Kane may want to stay put because of what I said.
Also Spurs are hard to deal with.
Also we should learn our damn lesson and stop with these signings when we have dire needs in other areas

United in sin

The way I see it, is De Gea will go under ETH which might be a blessing in disguise considering on what he is worth a week. Either Henderson/Heaton or Johnston(if we sign him) will be our next season's number 1.

CB wise we should be fine. Even the slow Maguire might have a renaissance because Ten Hag favors positional play and ball playing from his CBs. He might want to bring Timmber in as well. Very good prospect. FB wise, AWB will most likely go. Laird will take his place. The rest of the team is quiet tricky.

I think that he will bring Anthony, Haller and maybe Gravenberch with him. And before people say Haller flopped in the PL, it's important to remember that despite having all the necesarry attribute to make it in the PL, David Moyes used him out wide and had no idea how to get the most out of him. ETH on the other hand does. Definitely an option next to the ageing Ronaldo
You really think De Gea would be replaced by any of our lesser backup goalies under a new manager cutting his teeth in a top league in his very first season? I can see interest in Antony and Gravenberch.

Gravenberch seems open to a move to Bayern this summer but ETH would give united an advantage in any bid to sign him up if he lands the managerial role. I like the look of them both. As for Haller, no chance united or any top 6 PL side will sign him in my opinion after his spell at West Ham.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter

It'll be interesting if he comes in and adapts to de Gea or looks to replace him.

Caesar2290

It'll be interesting if he comes in and adapts to de Gea or looks to replace him.

Didn't Hoek complain that De Gea wasn't exactly coachable and is a bit of a slacker? Don't see ETH having patience with DDG considering how limited he is when it comes to all round goalkeeping.

abailey123

Ten Haag or Hassenutil please.
Laughing at Paul Scholes laying into Rangnick after he defended Ole for 3 years

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
ETH about to go out to Benfica. Ya, not at all convinced.
Tbf that can happen but ultimately neither Poch or Ten Hag are Pep, Klopp or Tuchel standard. We are just miles behind and have to go with someone. I'd still go with Ten Hag.

Status
Not open for further replies.