Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Revaulx

There's clever money and silly money. Signing both would be the latter, I'm not even sure we could afford both even if we wanted to.

I'd be delighted with Rice. I'd stay away from Kane though. He's the sort of player you get when the rest of your team is in order and you're missing that final piece up top. I'd rather we get our foundations right before we put on an expensive new roof.
Old Trafford needs a new roof as well :lol:

It isn't that I disagree with your assessment of those players; the point is that they are exactly the sort of big name targets so beloved of the Woodward era. There's no sign of "fresh ideas" in them.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
According to Voetbal International's Ajax guy, ETH hasn't said yes to United yet.
Romano just said the reason ETH hasn't signed yet is because he still wants certain assurances on involvement and remit over the squad.

timestamped. Apparently Romano is just an aggregator but I don't see what tier one sources have really pointed to this as a reason.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The right approach is to strike a balance between the manager and the rest of the recruitment team.

No player should be signed without the manager okaying it and the manager should be able to get rid of whoever doesn't fit his team. But at the same time the manager shouldn't have carte blanche to bring in whoever he likes either. The only incomings should be ones approved by both the manager and the larger recruitment team, with the recruitment teams still gearing their recommendations towards the manager's style of play. If one can't persuade the other the deal is the right one, it shouldn't happen.

hobbers

If ETH really is making a big point about this it just goes to show how bad the club's reputation is right now with clueless board and runaway player/agent power.

Worrying because this is exactly why the chicken shits were too scared to even think about hiring Conte in October. Woodward and Judge cant handle a manager coming along and telling them the likes of Pogba and Martial have to feck off for the good of the club.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
If this falls through then we are truly fecked as a club until the Glazers finally sell up.
Agree. But it's actually perfect because we don't want him here trying to bend over to accommodate the football no-marks at the club.

And if we end up with Poch, even the blind will notice something is up with our club.

Caesar2290

If this falls through then we are truly fecked as a club until the Glazers finally sell up.
I don't think it will. We are far too advanced in the negotiation process. I see our board caving in to his demands, or risk a shitstorm of fan backlash after every media outlet reported that the deal is basically done.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
If this falls through (it won't, sounds like posturing from Dutch media) you move on and hire another good manager.
Safe to say none of these alleged demands would be given to Ten Hag at Bayern or really any other elite club, which is why I don't really buy these reports.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
If this falls through (it won't, sounds like posturing from Dutch media) you move on and hire another good manager.
Safe to say none of these alleged demands would be given to Ten Hag at Bayern or really any other elite club, which is why I don't really buy these reports.
Same, bemused by the people acting as if those demands are totally normal and should be given in to at a whim

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Sorry but no manager has full control on incomings and outgoing at any club, let alone the major ones. Why should we ? I thought we wanted to move away from that particular set-up.

You lot were asking for a DOF ,for god knows how long, and now you want to revert to one guy being in total control again.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I don't think it will. We are far too advanced in the negotiation process. I see our board caving in to his demands, or risk a shitstorm of fan backlash after every media outlet reported that the deal is basically done.
This is what SAF might call squeaky bum time. If ETH can't get those guarantees it's because he's only wanted there for one reason - to keep the fans happy for a while longer but with very limited footballing ambitions. In that case if he is smart he will do a Klopp and swerve the whole thing. So we will see.

Greck

I have a feeling he already knows those he wants to cull and they are prominent names that require backing to ship out. City backed Pep over their greatest of all time striker and talismanic goalkeeper. If we were thinking he was just going to be a head coach then we have been sleeping. Managers with sophisticated philosophies have a style of player they like at every position. You don't spend that much time on tactics without having a vision for the type of player personnel you want to execute. I'd back ETH over whomever sat at that meeting that decided 80m on Maguire was the way to go.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Sorry but no manager has full control on incomings and outgoing at any club, let alone the major ones. Why should we ? I thought we wanted to move away from that particular set-up.

You lot were asking for a DOF ,for god knows how long, and now you want to revert to one guy being in total control again.
Don't sometimes you also have to admit you got a signing wrong? We do not do that often enough and hang onto players, hoping that one season, some manager will get a tune out of them. In the process causing damage to our chances and costing an arm and a leg in wages. Instead we carry on splurging money on the players that hopefully will make before mentioned players tick. When maybe getting the manager with a suitable style of play might be the answer and then go from there.

gajender

I have a feeling he already knows those he wants to cull and they are prominent names that require backing to ship out. City backed Pep over their greatest of all time striker and talismanic goalkeeper. If we were thinking he was just going to be a head coach then we have been sleeping. Managers with sophisticated philosophies have a style of player they like at every position. You don't spend that much time on tactics without having a vision for the best type of player personnel to execute.
Or You know United and Ten Hag management agency are thrashing out the finer details of his Contract without much issues but few in Media are trying to make it into a soap opera ,expecting it continue like this till the formal announcement is made .

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Personally I think this is all BS stirring. Hag and United know what they want from eachother.

hobbers

He obviously won't be asking for total control will he. He will want to make sure he has a say in the players we sign and the players we get rid of.

And given our boards proven track record in making abysmal signings, and awarding failures with huge new contracts, and being incapable of moving players on despite them offering the club no value, it makes sense for him to get those assurances, no?

Only a patsy like Ole would willfully manage a club with such a bad record in player recruitment/retention knowing they wouldn't get a say in these areas.

gajender

Personally I think this is all BS stirring. Hag and United know what they want for eachother.
It's happening you don't get likes of Stone's from BBC attaching their names to Such developments unless they get confirmation from Club that it's close to being agreed .

Greck

Or You know United and Ten Hag management agency are thrashing out the finer details of his Contract without much issues but few in Media are trying to make it into a soap opera ,expecting it continue like this till the formal announcement is made .
They didn't say the deal is in jeopardy. Those finer details could very well be the issues stated in the tweet. People here turn everything black and white when both stories can perfectly coexist. They can be discussing his degree of influence without the deal being in danger.

CallyRed

ETH saw 30 mins of AWB attacking down that right hand side and saw enough

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
These details would've been discussed in the first meeting.
Unless ofcourse they spent the first meeting discussing the recent Star Wars movies.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Unless ofcourse they spent the first meeting discussing the recent Star Wars movies.
You can understand if he wants an involvement with chosing his own team. You just need to look at our team and see it is not a great idea letting the wrong people get a bit over excited.

Greck

The exact finer details of a hiring are almost never included in preliminary discussions. They are actually usually closer to the final stages of recruitment. This is not unusual in any way. An extreme example is how we hired RR with almost no details on his exact powers. The finer details can come at any stage really.

lenny_1248

INs is one thing [there is a commitee etc], but in terms of OUTs Erik Ten Hag should 100% hold all the power. He should be able to get rid of any player like Pep or Klopp were.
We have legit 12+ players that should leave and who contributed basically nothing this season. It's unbelievable actually.

Rolaholic

Also what I believe ever since it was leaked they were finalizing his deal earlier this week.

The papers are squeezing an extra few days worth of clicks today but the talk about potential back office staff and player recruitments already being out there leads one to believe that it's all but officially announced yet.

United in sin

Good, that last part should be how it always is
If true then its a swift turnaround from earlier reports about Hag fitting the clubs new structure under Murtough and Fletcher. This is the exact opposite of how Hag operated at Ajax and more like how did operate at Utrecht when was he was head coach and sporting director.

It's also a departure from this so called holistic restructuring going on at united behind the scenes. Perhaps Hag doesn't trust them already, perhaps LVGs words have influenced him. It's the exact same approach Poch was begging for at Spurs and was denied after Paul Mitchell vacated his role in 2016

Suedesi

LEAKED: Manchester United to Appoint Erik Ten Hag As Manager

How is it possible that there so many leaks from the club? Is this by design? I loved the days when the club went about its business in stealth mode - now we're just a sieve

Status
Not open for further replies.