g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiber

It's incredible that people are finding ways to be negative about the mostexciting move we have made in the post Sir Alex era. I've been over the moon since these stories started breaking
LVG took an unfancied team to a world cup final a few weeks before arriving at United. That was a lot more exciting than this and he turned out to be a disaster.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
LVG took an unfancied team to a world cup final a few weeks before arriving at United. That was a lot more exciting than this and he turned out to be a disaster.
I genuinely believe if LVG had the recruitment structure behind him he’d have been successful. We hired a head coach who was never known for signing players and gave him complete autonomy to spend hundreds of millions on a complete overhaul. It was proper stupid.

gajender

No he didn't it was semis and football they played wasn't impressive in the slightest barring their game against Spain .

Tiber

No he didn't it was semis and football they played wasn't impressive in the slightest barring their game against Spain .
LVGs style of football at United made my eyes bleed and I am not defending it. But that world cup run with a team that really lacked top level talent built up a hell of a lot of excitement among United fans at the time.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
The manager should have a say in transfers and should get the biggest say in outgoings, as he knows these players very well once he's in position and working with them daily.

However, he shouldn't be allowed to go full on LVG/Jose and demand certain players. This is something every single poster on here has been banging on about for years. If it's true that he wants to be the main say in transfers then that's a big issue, as the club has took steps towards a more modern and holistic approach.

The only gripe is how it's been implemented here and the people selected to be involved, as their credentials are unclear at best.

Blood Mage

Van Gaal's slow-paced, methodical system worked well for international football, it did not work well in the Premier League. I still think we had some of our best post-Fergie performances under him though, especially against the other top 4 clubs.

wise_old_man

LVGs style of football at United made my eyes bleed and I am not defending it. But that world cup run with a team that really lacked top level talent built up a hell of a lot of excitement among United fans at the time.
That squad still had Robben, Persie, Sneijder...etc. I wouldn't call that a several lack of talent.

Infra-red

LEAKED: Manchester United to Appoint Erik Ten Hag As Manager

How is it possible that there so many leaks from the club? Is this by design? I loved the days when the club went about its business in stealth mode - now we're just a sieve
The cynic in me says it's a deliberate drip-feed by the club to build up excitement and anticipation, thereby maximising mentions/clicks etc across various media platforms.

I believe that the club was accused of doing something similar when we signed Pogba from Juventus (it was later reported that the deal had been finalised much earlier in the summer, but the official announcement was deliberately delayed by the club to string-out the stories and prolong the media exposure). Might all just be tin foil hat stuff, though.

Last edited:

Sviken

Sorry but no manager has full control on incomings and outgoing at any club, let alone the major ones. Why should we ? I thought we wanted to move away from that particular set-up.

You lot were asking for a DOF ,for god knows how long, and now you want to revert to one guy being in total control again.
To be honest, I don't think any manager has had even remotely close to full control since SAF left. Moyes diddled on the market and got Fellaini. Partyl his mistake, partly Woodward's. LVG brought a bunhc of players, but apparently none of them were actually his first or second choice signings. I don't think Shaw, di Maria or Falcao were even remotely his signings. But then again he had the power to block Kroos' transfer so he held some degree of control, just not entirely. And we know Jose was overruled about Martial and Pogba and in the third season he straight up threw his toys out.

I think the manager needs to have very big control over the trasnfer policies. Not in the sense that he is the be all end all like SAF was for us, but he needs his authority respected. This is a similar type of power Klopp and Guardiola have over their respective clubs, don't they not? And it's working. Yes, I'm sure Klopp is perfectly aware of the resources Liverpool has and what they can and can't do (unlike Guaridola), but he still has a very big influence on transfers.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Sorry but no manager has full control on incomings and outgoing at any club, let alone the major ones. Why should we ? I thought we wanted to move away from that particular set-up.

You lot were asking for a DOF ,for god knows how long, and now you want to revert to one guy being in total control again.
He's not asking for full control. Read the articles and tweets again

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Sign him up now.

I bet rangnick has already handed him a list of players that are not upto the task.

If these players can downtool ole then no manager is safe because ole was their mate and they still threw him under the bus.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It's absolutely normal for the head coach to be involved in the decision making process on the football side of the club. The same happens at other big clubs (from what I've read) like Liverpool and Bayern to name just two.

Our biggest problem since the advent of the recruitment structure has been to allow the new manager to have his own personal recruitment staff who work directly for the manager which is silly when there's a recruitment structure already in place to help the manager.

So as long as ten Hag comes in and works with the existing recruitment team and doesn't want to bring in his own recruitment staff like Ole and Mourinho did, then I'm optimistic we will start to improve and start making strides towards being a much better and consistent team.

copen1945

Now that this seems all but certain, I hope United would back Ten Hag fully for an actual reset. Another culture reset will set us back even further.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
It's absolutely normal for the head coach to be involved in the decision making process on the football side of the club. The same happens at other big clubs (from what I've read) like Liverpool and Bayern to name just two.
Ole clearly had very little say in transfers or he would have got a new DM instead of Sancho and Ronaldo.

Luke1995

Yeah, he was a top player no doubt so you can still see quality but his legs are gone and he can't run anymore. I think there's an end to everything and if we are serious about rebuild, Matic is past his time even as a sub. It will only get worse with time. We do need to combine young players with experienced ones, just probably not Matic or Matta, a this point.
Mata definitely needs to go. I would like to see Matic here for one last season. But not because he is ''nice guy'' I think he can still contribute to an extent.

But yeah, if they can find a younger player who can play better than him, then sure, make the rebuild.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ole clearly had very little say in transfers or he would have got a new DM instead of Sancho and Ronaldo.
If Ole had little say in transfers then the club wouldn't have allowed him to have his own personal scout (Simon Wells) and Mike Phelan to assist him in recruiting players. Sancho was definitely his signing or should I say a Simon Wells signing, and I have no issue with that signing at all.

And both The Athletic and The Times reported that Solskjaer made the final call on the Ronaldo signing. The Times reported that Solskjaer ignored the concerns of his staff to sign Ronaldo whose goals he felt would make up for his deficiencies of the ball.

That's what happens when you hire a manager who doesn't Coach on the training ground and ignores the concerns of the staff he has, that do coach on the training ground.

glazed

If Ole had little say in transfers then the club wouldn't have allowed him to have his own personal scout (Simon Wells) and Mike Phelan to assist him in recruiting players. Sancho was definitely his signing or should I say a Simon Wells signing, and I have no issue with that signing at all.
Maybe. He was either totally incompetent or a total yes man. Perhaps it was a bit of both?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Maybe. He was either totally incompetent or a total yes man. Perhaps it was a bit of both?
If he was a 'yes man' then he wouldn't have ignored the advice of his staff who coached the players. Because we know from his own words, he didn't coach the team.

Corridor of Uncertainty

So does that mean all the reports from two days ago saying we were set to finalize Ten Hag were premature?

This seems a decent obstacle to overcome

glazed

If he was a 'yes man' then he wouldn't have ignored the advice of his staff who coached the players. Because we know from his own words, he didn't coach the team.
He was a Yes man to Woodward. He looked like he couldn't believe his luck most of the time

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He was a Yes man to Woodward. He looked like he couldn't believe his luck most of the time
I don't know about him being a yes man to Woodward. But he was given autonomy on the football side of the club and he did proceed to go ahead with the Ronaldo signing ignoring staff concerns.

And if being a yes man is that you listen and take on board information from others, then that can only be a good thing. Because Klopp at Liverpool wanted to sign players of his choice but was instead persuaded to sign players that he didn't know much about. And now he has Salah at the club instead of Julian Brandt.

Loon

:lol:
If ten Hag doesn’t happen now? well, wow. I cannot think of somebody so strongly linked to the club only to see it fall apart.

MrSingh2002

I hope Ten Hag and Rangnick hijack all footballing and transfer decision making.

We could be onto something if the board allow that to happen.

Blood Mage

If ETH really is making a big point about this it just goes to show how bad the club's reputation is right now with clueless board and runaway player/agent power.

Worrying because this is exactly why the chicken shits were too scared to even think about hiring Conte in October. Woodward and Judge cant handle a manager coming along and telling them the likes of Pogba and Martial have to feck off for the good of the club.
Well not just them but players like Maguire, Wan Bissaka and Rashford too. Players who the club have invested a lot in and won't be so keen to see leave in a hurry. But none are good enough.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Guys, stop worrying. This is done. After all the briefs this week, there is zero chance this isn’t happening.

Tarrou

you really thought it was that exciting?

LVG was well past his best by the team he arrived here. I was exciting about the fact he wasn't Moyes but that was about it.

For me this appointment is 10x more exciting. It's the first time in the post-Fergie era we've appointed my first choice pick.

RiqCantona

If I'm honest... and I mean really honest... this is the first time that I am actually looking forward to our new manager. Be it ETH or Poch - the prospect of both excites me because both are suited to us. Both are solid.

When Moyes was appointed, I wasn't sure but since he was the "chosen one" by SAF himself - which is why we should back him without doubt. But there was always a question regarding him because all he ever managed was Everton. But who are we kidding? We knew that he was never going to cut it at United. Was he the best manager out there at that time? No.

LvG... as someone said, he was not Moyes. But were any of us "excited" by the prospect of LvG. I thought he was a great coach, a lot of experience, etc... and probably knew what he was doing. Did it excite me? No.

Mourinho excited me only because he brought an expectation of finally winning trophies because he's a winner. We know the way he plays, the sort of personality he is, parking the bus, etc. but we might end up winning some big trophies because that's what Mourinho is. Was he the best choice for us in terms of playing style? I don't think so.

Ole is a strange one. I suppose it was a bit of romanticism to expect an old player take us to glory, but it was also good to have a familiar face in the dugout. But he was always going to have a lot to prove. The majority of his tenure was filled with doubt.

If you look at it, we never really hired a manager who ticked most of the boxes for us. We never followed a thorough process to hire one until now. Perhaps this is why the anticipation is building now. We should get this one right.

ariveded

What's with this new potential manager who hasn't seen the players, nor their training and yet has made-up his mind of who to sell/keep? The new manager top priority has to improve the current set of players. He has to be the coach foremost, not the tactician or motivator. If the news reports are correct, then Erik certainly doesn't feel the right choice.

Next, 100M are spend on 1 single player nowadays, so no manager can expect himself to be the decision maker. It should and will be a group of people, and that's the right way.

RiqCantona

What's with this new potential manager who hasn't seen the players, nor their training and yet has made-up his mind of who to sell/keep? The new manager top priority has to improve the current set of players. He has to be the coach foremost, not the tactician or motivator. If the news reports are correct, then Erik certainly doesn't feel the right choice.

Next, 100M are spend on 1 single player nowadays, so no manager can expect himself to be the decision maker. It should and will be a group of people, and that's the right way.
I don't think he's made up his mind about whom to buy and whom to sell. He wants to be in that conversation and have a say in decisions. Its more to do with getting the players that he wants and the players who will fit into his system rather than getting imposed with wrong fitted players, which is normal for any top-level manager.

As for the current lot, do you really think that they could be arsed about improving and doing better? Most of them are sh*t, as proven over the past few seasons.

pascell

Guys, stop worrying. This is done. After all the briefs this week, there is zero chance this isn’t happening.
I said it in the ten Hag thread that the worry for me isn't getting it done, but backing him properly. Retaining Rangnick in an appropriate role which he bares influence on making decisions is the key to this appointment being a successful one.

Status
Not open for further replies.