Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

UTD_Since_1978

If anybody wants Poch they must be out of their mind!

Messi, Mbappe, Neymar & others, 2-0 up with 30 minutes to go & still blow it, I don't want him anywhere near old trafford next season (unless as a visiting manager).

Dookingham United

If anybody wants Poch they must be out of their mind!

Messi, Mbappe, Neymar & others, 2-0 up with 30 minutes to go & still blow it, I don't want him anywhere near old trafford next season (unless as a visiting manager).
I firmly believe that what we need far more than a manager that has this style or that style is a manager that is mentally so tough as to be stronger than the club.
They will need to walk into OT and let off a grenade saying this is my club now!
They need to destroy the years of soft touch pandering to players and they need to put that useless board out to pasture and tell the owners that we will post their dividend cheques to them as long as we never have to see or hear from them again.
Poch is a desperate manager who will do as he is told because he will be desperate to get the Utd job and doesn't have the neck that we need and he has proven at PSG that he cannot instill the Roy Keane type mentality that we so desperately need back. The defense is such a huge problem for our team and last night we saw the PSG back line absolutely fall apart. That is on the coaching.

But for those exact reasons, he will absolutely be our next manager and we will go absolutely nowhere.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Erik ten Hag is also the same and sets his teams out to play a very vertical game. Did you watch Tuchel at Dortmund and Mainz? Erik ten Hag is a cross between a Guardiola and a Klopp in style and I've mentioned this before in my previous posts. And I agree Tuchel is a hybrid in style between the heavy counter pressing approach of Rangnick, Klopp, Hassenhuttl and the zone control via possession approach of Guardiola, Cruyff and Wenger. Hence why Tuchel has gone on record and said he's been heavily influenced by the aforementioned coaches who exerted zonal and positional control straight from the Rinus Michels play book.

There's no such thing as the German or Dutch way in reality. These are ideas that have been tweaked over many decades from different eras and adopted in the modern game. And organisation and shape is of absolute paramount importance for any approach but there's a difference between setting up to exert zonal and positional control via possession in a vertical axis and a approach where the aim is to play a very direct vertical game with minimal amounts of passes towards the opposition goal. But to set up in the first equation, one must implement a strong positional game on the ball to control possession and open up opportunities for the free man. And it's well documented that Tuchel adopts the same principles which were obvious to see at Mainz and Dortmund.

Tuchel imo has adapted to change at both PSG and Chelsea. And like Erik ten Hag and Graham Potter, he's a coach that has shown the ability to coach a strong on the ball game (positional play) and off the ball game via counter pressing etc. Rangnick is purely a counter pressing coaching.
If you had to choose between them, which one will you go for? Considering the squad we have and the academy players who are coming up. And also we might not invest like crazy on the squad.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Chelsea won’t exist within a few weeks remember.
Chelsea is in deep trouble. If he can't sell, sponsor might leaves then club needs to funds all expenses themselves. Very soon, players would want to leave. Chelsea will not be the same anymore as long as he is sanctioned. When it is all done and dusted, the new owners will need to rebuilt the club. Tuchel is a good choice and of he is available, we should get him. Not Poch.

pratyush_utd

What does it even mean? He wants to be top candidate before agreeing to the job?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If you had to choose between them, which one will you go for? Considering the squad we have and the academy players who are coming up. And also we might not invest like crazy on the squad.
If i'm honest with you, I would be happy with any one of Tuchel, ten Hag, Enrique or even Potter. And the reason is because they're all coaches who can implement both a strong counter pressing approach as well as a strong on the ball game via controlling the game in possession.

I would particularly be intrigued to see how ten Hag or Enrique would go about implementing their respective approaches to the game. But any one of the aforementioned names and i'd be very happy. I strongly believe that both Klopp and Guardiola can be toppled.

King Kendrick

Supports
Eredivisie
If i'm honest with you, I would be happy with any one of Tuchel, ten Hag, Enrique or even Potter. And the reason is because they're all coaches who can implement both a strong counter pressing approach as well as a strong on the ball game via controlling the game in possession.

I would particularly be intrigued to see how ten Hag or Enrique would go about implementing their respective approaches to the game. But any one of the aforementioned names and i'd be very happy. I strongly believe that both Klopp and Guardiola can be toppled.
Extremely interested to hear your thoughts on this question. How do you think we would maneuver to get Enrique? I really dont see him leaving before the WC, plus, and I think more importantly for the PR of the club, there were several briefs mentioning we wanted the new manager to have a say in the transfer window, and if he's not installed in the summer, can the fanbase really be content with giving it to Ralf for another half season? I dont think the Spanish NT would look kindly on another Lope situation, and while I would have put him alongside ETH as preferred candidates, I dont think we can wait another half season, then another month or two to have shape the team, and essentially write off next season as well.

Waynne

Yeah, I can just see Jesus sitting down with the Glazers in the interview for the United job.

Joel: “So what do you think JC? Do you think you could get us into the rootin’ tootin’ top 4 with this mighty fine squad of soccer stars”

Jesus: “Joel, I’ve made a lame man walk, a blind man see, I’ve turned water into wine, hell I’ve even come back from the dead but I can’t perform fecking miracles mate.”
:lol:

George The Best

Chelsea is in deep trouble. If he can't sell, sponsor might leaves then club needs to funds all expenses themselves. Very soon, players would want to leave. Chelsea will not be the same anymore as long as he is sanctioned. When it is all done and dusted, the new owners will need to rebuilt the club. Tuchel is a good choice and of he is available, we should get him. Not Poch.
Tuchel will not quit Chelsea, forget it. He’s contracted for another two years and won’t drop them in it knowing they cannot contract anybody else at the mo.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Extremely interested to hear your thoughts on this question. How do you think we would maneuver to get Enrique? I really dont see him leaving before the WC, plus, and I think more importantly for the PR of the club, there were several briefs mentioning we wanted the new manager to have a say in the transfer window, and if he's not installed in the summer, can the fanbase really be content with giving it to Ralf for another half season? I dont think the Spanish NT would look kindly on another Lope situation, and while I would have put him alongside ETH as preferred candidates, I dont think we can wait another half season, then another month or two to have shape the team, and essentially write off next season as well.
Enrique is likely not a option due to his commitment to Spain and I can't see us waiting around for him with Rangnick as the placeholder. Enrique will eventually end up at City replacing Guardiola imo, and he's also a perfect match for City to follow on from Guardiola stylistically, as well as being a good fit with both Txiki Begiristain and Soriano who are the DoF and CEO.

0le

Not sure I agree. Tuchel stresses verticality more than Ten Hag. Even if he likes passing it about more than other German coaches.

I'd say Tuchel is currently a halfway house between the German and Dutch schools. To use Klopp terms he's the conductor of a Heavy metal orchestra.

You cannot play the German way without a grounding in shape and position play. Indeed, we've had reports of our players moaning about the amount of shapework Rangnick has them do in training. Unfortunately for them it's impossible to launch coordinated pressing moves without drilling shape relentlessly.

Tuchel's Chelsea don't press high, they lure opponents into areas of the pitch, counter press then transition. This is what Rangnick has taken to doing after seeing our squad of Big time Charlie's fail to implement a high pressing 4222.

When Chelsea attack the stress is on verticality. Chelsea are not trying to hold possession as a means of self defence or trying to pick the lock Dutch style. Chelsea thrive when they can exploit transitions.

For these reasons I see Tuchel as closer to Rangnick than Ten Hag. Ten Hag is closer to Pep than Tuchel.
Do you think this will pay off eventually at some point this season?

macheda14

Do you think this will pay off eventually at some point this season?
Yes, we can see it in fits and starts. The ideas are slowly taking hold, we have been playing better and better. Against city for the first half we were great, but just let down by individual errors. Against Watford we were great just couldn’t score.

I’m looking forward to our game against Leicester, we’ll have two weeks of solid training due to our game against Liverpool being postponed.

King Kendrick

Supports
Eredivisie
Enrique is likely not a option due to his commitment to Spain and I can't see us waiting around for him with Rangnick as the placeholder. Enrique will eventually end up at City replacing Guardiola imo, and he's also a perfect match for City to follow on from Guardiola stylistically, as well as being a good fit with both Txiki Begiristain and Soriano who are the DoF and CEO.
The only way I saw us positioning towards it was with the links to Carlo, as a sort of "permanent" interim if that phrasing makes sense at all. Your thoughts would make total sense for Enrique, and the timing matches up with Pep making noises to step down at the end of next season.

Tarrou

I don't buy all the talk of Poch being our number one choice

I mean... it would be weird at this point, there are question marks around him.. I don't think he'd be a terrible appointment but it would feel like we're settling for a top 4 manager

People say ETH is a bigger risk but it depends what your goal is. If we're aiming for top 4 then sure, he's a bigger risk. But if we're aiming for top 1 then Poch is a bigger risk because we're pretty certain he isn't better than Klopp or Pep, so we'll be sacking him in 2/3 years anyway, the same as ETH if he fails. At least with ETH there is a chance he turns out to be world class.

I know we've made some stupid decisions in the past and Woody would probably want Poch/Kane, but he's gone.. The new era has started with the appointment of Rangnick, a departure from our typically obvious decision-making.

I'm basically ranting nonsense at this point but for fecks sake if we go for Poch as first choice, I give up!

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Poch is admired by the United board and prefered by the players.

A decision hasn't been made about the next manager yet.

Erik ten Hag, has already been asking the players about the squad via third parties.

Last edited:

Rolaholic

Couldn't care less about what a squad of bottlers and poor mentality want, they want the easiest option available unsurprisingly.

It's the same way that by all accounts, they all loved Ole even though he was far out of his depth.

Player power should have zero say on who we hire to guide the club out of chronic mediocrity and laughing stock status.

Least of all coming from the players who have us down there. We need to steer clear of appeasing them when it comes to such important club decisions.

United in sin

Couldn't care less about what a squad of bottlers and poor mentality want, they want the easiest option available unsurprisingly.

It's the same way that by all accounts, they all loved Ole even though he was far out of his depth.

Player power should have zero say on who we hire to guide the club out of chronic mediocrity and laughing stock status.

Least of all coming from the players who have us down there. We need to steer clear of appeasing them when it comes to such important club decisions.
I don't disagree with your overall sentiment, but what about Pochettino could possibly scream 'easy' to these players if this story is to be believed?

By all accounts he's a very demanding manager. See how how whipped Southampton and Spurs into prime physical shape/conditioning for instance

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I don't disagree with your overall sentiment, but what about Pochettino could possibly scream 'easy'? By all accounts he's a very demanding manager. See how how whipped Southampton and Spurs into prime physical shape/conditioning for instance
It is strange that the players want him when it would seem they failed badly at the pressing game that Rangnick tried to implement. Unless Poch has changed his style permanently now, which I felt was probably catered more towards the squad he has at PSG than a new approach completely.

United in sin

It is strange that the players want him when it would seem they failed badly at the pressing game that Rangnick tried to implement. Unless Poch has changed his style permanently now, which I felt was probably catered more towards the squad he has at PSG than a new approach completely.
I agree. I think he changed his tactics to cater for the squad at his disposable. I'm actually surprised he took that role, he seems to prefer to build squads in his own image, and he likes to work with young and hungry talents.

The PSG experience will serve him well as it has already added another level to his repertoire. I feel it will prepare him for bigger challenges. He definitely has more experience at the top level than ETH

Yakuza_devils

I would be happy with any of them ETH, Tuchel, Poch, Enrique.

1) Enrique not realistic because of Spain commitment

2) Poch is good choice but too safe an appointment. Top 4 and good football but can't really bring us back to the pinnacle of football.

3) Tuchel is a Top 3 coach in PL/world but due to his characteristics may not stay long in a club. He may fall out with the boards.

4) ETH is the best choice because he plays one of the most exciting football in the world and he looks like someone who will stay in a club for long term. Man Utd need consistency and long term manager to stabilize the club. Someone like Pep and Klopp at their respective clubs for 6 to 7 years. A good long term manager brings stability and success to the club. Hope ETH will be the one.

pratyush_utd

These lot are hopeless. They are just posturing right now through their PR agents and will dump Poch when he demands them to work hard.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Lure Klopp with lots of cash, property, cars, stocks, bitcoin, jets, private islands and whatever else tickles his fancy.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I can see why Poch is preferred over ETH. Hate to say this but the squad is more suited to him.

A DM who can pass the ball, a forward and a winger . That's all he needs.

With ETH, everything is an issue. We don't have players to play his possession based game.

kthanksbye

I wouldn’t wait for Enrique though if it meant waiting until after the World Cup.
I totally would, 6 months isn't a log time, if we can get him to agree earlier, maybe even now. The upside is a lot. Look at how Barca play, even the young players that come into the first team have their basics on point, I'd love to have that kind of structure at the club.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Imagine being this entitled without winning anything first.
Think the tweet is misleading. If true its likely insinuating he wants to be sure that the job offer is his IF hes approached and is still PSG manger.

Which makes sense as he'd otherwise rock the boat with his employer for nothing otherwise.

Judas

Open to offers
Every day new rumbles come out which make me want Poch less, which is quite impressive when I always think I've reached the peak of not wanting him anywhere near the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.