Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarrou

If we get Poch he will be a much more unpopular choice than Solskjaer. Which is mental when you think about it.
Solskjaer wasn't an unpopular choice at all

or do you mean more unpopular than Solskjaer just before he got sacked?

Bondi77

I think Goldbridge is right on this one, the United hierarchy only have eyes for Poch but unless PSG sack him they know they will struggle to spin it in a positive light due to Ten Hag being cheaper and more highly rated by the fans. If PSG keep Poch in a job I think they will reluctantly hire Ten Hag.
That imbecile has so many different opinions he is bound to get lucky every now and then.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
The more this drags on, the more worried I’m getting. We could of already snapped up ten Hag but just waiting for the right time to announce it. Or the most likely thing that’s happening is we’re waiting for pochettino to become available so we can get him straight away.

Real Name

Can’t really remember the context but it’s a fair reply from Ole and I cannot see anything wrong with it? Ole has given us so much more memories and good times in the number 20 shirt than Robin ever did. When football fans think of the number 20 United jersey, Ole will always be the one who is associated with it
You have this, perfectly reasonable comment and of course 5 like above where guys let their steam and point out once again how shit Ole was.

kthanksbye

I'm not assuming or implying he would leave his position with Spain. It's a hypothetical situation, saying united make him the top pick and he agrees, something can be worked out. I'm simply saying the WC shouldn't stop us signing him if both parties agree, and that this talk of wasting a year wouldn't matter if the payoff is long-term success (all things I've mentioned in this thread)
Completely agree with this, he's probably the best manager out there with a well defined style of football, he's won Leagues and even the CL.

The fact that he won't be able to join till the worldcup is not a big payoff for what he brings to the table, it's about time we hire someone who knows how to get a team to play possession and pressing football. Granted he'll take time to implement those things, as his style of football requires players to have a certain level of basic know how, which Spanish players have. But if we're looking long term, I'm totally in favour of keeping RR till the worldcup for Enrique.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I am struggling to follow here. Even if they give him permission to talk, how would that diminish their chances of compensation? Did permission from Ajax for ETH dented their chances for compensation?

Plus I think PSG will not sack him if they think we want him. Why would anyone miss out on 15-20m compensation fee.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
United would be fecking stupid to pay compensation for a manager PSG will inevitably sack. The savings PSG make by not covering the rest of his contract should be enough incentive for them.

Eddy_JukeZ

I worry about some of our board members' obsession with Pochettino.

I would be shocked if we didn't hire him.

Telsim

Just as I thought. The board never had any intention of appointing anyone but Poch and the whole thing with interviewing managers is just a smokescreen to drag out the process with the hopes that PSG sack him and we don't have to pay compensation. And Ten Hag is Plan B if this doesn't come to pass. Absolutely nothing has changed in this club. What a joke.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ogden is basically saying that United haven't even contacted PSG. But he's then presenting a scenario, if contact was made with PSG.

That's how I'm interpreting the tweets.

Green Arrow

Just as I thought. The board never had any intention of appointing anyone but Poch and the whole thing with interviewing managers is just a smokescreen to drag out the process with the hopes that PSG sack him and we don't have to pay compensation. And Ten Hag is Plan B if this doesn't come to pass. Absolutely nothing has changed in this club. What a joke.
I knew this would happen they had the chance to give Ten hag the job this week but they haven't. They only wanted Pochettino from the get go and somehow have made this "Process" as a show. I for one won't give time to him when he becomes our new manager. This club only want 4th place he will deliver that this club is a shambles from top to bottom.

Withnail

I knew this would happen they had the chance to give Ten hag the job this week but they haven't. They only wanted Pochettino from the get go and somehow have made this "Process" as a show. I for one won't give time to him when he becomes our new manager. This club only want 4th place he will deliver that this club is a shambles from top to bottom.

You both knew it? We've a host of clairvoyants on the caf it seems. What led you to believe it and what has corroborated for you?

Eddy_JukeZ

By obsession you mean “think he’s a good candidate for the vacant post and want to interview him?” Yeah that’s a huge worry alright. Interviewing qualified candidates.
By obsession, I mean hiring a manager that has disappointed heavily at PSG and seems to be on a downward spiral. I'd rather hire a manager on the up with an unknown ceiling.

Even before his PSG stint, Spurs were so bad at the end, they had to hire Mourinho to try and salvage it. A manager we couldn't wait to get rid of a year ago.

And his away record against the Premier League top 6 is absolutely brutal.

Pochettino would come in and likely be a good top 4 manager, but will always fall short of Pep and Klopp. He hasn't shown anything that would lead you to believe he has a high ceiling waiting to be unlocked.

Ten Hag might come up short too, but there's every chance he could match them too with good recruitment.

Green Arrow

You both knew it? We've a host of clairvoyants on the caf it seems. What led you to believe it and what has corroborated for you?
It's just my opinion Ten Hag was interviewed this week that's a fact, to me he's the right man for the job. The fact that they haven't given him the job says to me that they want Pochettino and are somehow holding out for him.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
By obsession, I mean hiring a manager that has disappointed heavily at PSG and seems to be on a downward spiral. I'd rather hire a manager on the up with an unknown ceiling.

Even before his PSG stint, Spurs were so bad at the end, they had to hire Mourinho to try and salvage it. A manager we couldn't wait to get rid of a year ago.

And his away record against the Premier League top 6 is absolutely brutal.

Pochettino would come in and likely be a good top 4 manager, but will always fall short of Pep and Klopp. He hasn't shown anything that would lead you to believe he has a high ceiling waiting to be unlocked.

Ten Hag might come up short too, but there's every chance he could match them too with good recruitment.
Right. So by obsession you mean hire. Not exactly an obsession then is it. There’s also an argument that a guy who got Spurs with the 6th highest wage bill and negative net spend 2nd and to a CL final isn’t quite as useless as you and the rest make out. But hey ho. The online fandom demand ETH. Let’s hope it works out better than when they all demanded Ronaldo.
I see Goldbridge is influencing the caf now.
Now? This entire place has been a Goldbridge bot factory for months.

Eddy_JukeZ

Right. So by obsession you mean hire. Not exactly an obsession then is it. There’s also an argument that a guy who got Spurs with the 6th highest wage bill and negative net spend 2nd and to a CL final isn’t quite as useless as you and the rest make out. But hey ho. The online fandom demand ETH. Let’s hope it works out better than when they all demanded Ronaldo.
Do you not agree that Poch is trending downwards?

When has a managerial hire ever worked out when a manager is trending downwards?

I mean, you would think we'd know about it because we hired Mourinho when he was significantly trending downwards.

No one thinks Pochettino is useless by the way. Most of us believe his ceiling has been reached and he wouldn't challenge for the top honors.

And I don't think his football is that aesthetically pleasing either.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's just my opinion Ten Hag was interviewed this week that's a fact, to me he's the right man for the job. The fact that they haven't given him the job says to me that they want Pochettino and are somehow holding out for him.
That makes zero sense.

If you're hiring for a job and plan to interview multiple candidates the fact that you didn't immediately quit that process and hand candidate #1 the job after the first interview doesn't mean you're holding out for candidate #2. It just means you're doing exactly what you made clear you'd do and interviewing multiple candidates.

Withnail

I'm suspicious of anyone parroting this Goldbridge conspiracy theory but assuming you came to this independently, isn't this just paranoia?

It's bad practice to only interview one candidate for any role. What if they can't agree terms a few weeks down the line? You're back to square then and your backups have presumably been talking to other clubs for weeks.

indianabones

Supports
West Brom
The results are interesting in the poll, overwhelming to the point you'd think it's a done deal and all that's left is for the fat lady singing.

Withnail

Do you not agree that Poch is trending downwards?

When has a managerial hire ever worked out when a manager is trending downwards?

I mean, you would think we'd know about it because we hired Mourinho when he was significantly trending downwards.

No one thinks Pochettino is useless by the way. Most of us believe his ceiling has been reached and he wouldn't challenge for the top honors.

And I don't think his football is that aesthetically pleasing either.
I don't think you can judge any manager on their time at PSG. You only have to look at Tuchel. It's a basketcase of a club and I don't think there's a manager that could go in there, as it's set up now, and come out with their reputation enhanced.

Eddy_JukeZ

I don't think you can judge any manager on their time at PSG. You only have to look at Tuchel. It's a basketcase of a club and I don't think there's a manager that could go in there, as it's set up now, and come out with their reputation enhanced.
I agree that PSG is almost an impossible task. And that front 3 is terribly unbalanced at the moment, and you can't really implement a pressing system with them either.

That said, Tuchel still did much better at PSG than Pochettino did. Pochettino's teams have a habit of capitulating in key moments and he failed to win Ligue 1 last season with by far the best squad in the league.

Pochettino's Spurs reign also ended horribly at the end. They were so bad, they hired Mourinho to salvage their season.

Since that CL defeat, he's been trending downwards.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Seems United are finally using abit of common sense now by interviewing multiple candidates that they think their philosophy's align with regarding the future of the club.

So, I'm quite perplexed why this process is being frowned upon by certain posters..or maybe I shouldn't be ?

cyberman

Tuchel did well at PSG?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
When people watch Ten Hag's football -

Do they actually see Possesion football being played? I'm just asking because it's been said to be his play style isn't it?

Possesion football through Pep and Van Gaal can be quite visibly slow when playing in comparison.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
This is the first time I've looked at the poll and wow that was not what I was expecting! Why is Poch so unpopular? And what has ten Hag done to win so much admiration? Genuine question as I've barely seen Ajax play. Or is it the usual case of a manager/player being popular even though most fans have barely seen them in action.

The King Eric

Have I got this right.

Man Utd are now conducting a professional interview process (that the vast majority of companies in every industry do) to try and find the best candidate for the job after 4 failures in a row of handing it to the "#1" pick right away (without thoroughly interviewing other candidates - and im not talking about SAF's dinner chat with Pep before he took the Bayern job) and people are getting agitated by this. If Utd did not conduct an interview process now, I would worried as it would show we have learned nothing from our very recent, detrimental and past mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.