Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

danigl

Nkunku, Antony, CM and DM would be a good summer.
How would we even fit Nkunku and Antony in the same team? Antony would occupy the right, and where Nkunku go? Seems to me like he's a player that occupies the space that either Bruno or Antony already fills. Sure he could play as a striker, but isn't he more like a second striker?

pascell

Add Mazraoui on a free and that would be a dream transfer window.
I agree!
How would we even fit Nkunku and Antony in the same team? Antony would occupy the right, and where Nkunku go? Seems to me like he's a player that occupies the space that either Bruno or Antony already fills. Sure he could play as a striker, but isn't he more like a second striker?
Nkunku is a very versatile and consistent attacker, check out his numbers playing the front 4 positions for Leipzig, even as striker his numbers are very good. With a front 4 of Sancho, Bruno, Antony and Nkunku, we'd have an attack that could interchange and still put up good numbers.

There isn't many quality strikers available for the right money.

danigl

I agree!

Nkunku is a very versatile and consistent attacker, check out his numbers playing the front 4 positions for Leipzig, even as striker his numbers are very good. With a front 4 of Sancho, Bruno, Antony and Nkunku, we'd have an attack that could interchange and still put up good numbers.

There isn't many quality strikers available for the right money.
I agree, he's delivered incredible some numbers this year. I just fear it would be another Timo Werner signing, who also tore up the league as a versatile striker in Leipzig. Second concern is he hasn't really hit the ground running until this season, and with him turning 25 this year I fear he might struggle even more. Mind you, Bruno was a year older when he came and didn't seem fazed by the transition at all.

croadyman

That Kamara from Marseille would be decent for our dm, he’s a free agent aswell and only 22.
Yeah should take advantage of golden opportunities like that because still got at least 4 holes in the starting XI

Devil’s Trident

If he signs a left footed RW and a DM then he is already a better manager than anyone post Fergie in my eyes. How often all these managers from Moyes to Ole misused the funds that were available and failed as a result because of the loopholes in the crucial areas which were neglected by them ? No proper RW for a decade , No proper DM in his prime for a decade. Oh but let’s buy some more centre backs every second summer and some more wingers who play better on the left every third summer and just fecking clog some positions and leave the others as it is.

Even if the budget is tight, let’s say 80m plus sales, it can be done. Generate around 60-70 m from the sales of henderson, Bailly, Martial, Dalot/AWB and we would have around 150m to play with. Now with this money, get

Antony 35-40m
Nkunku 40-45m
Kamara free
Tielemens 30-35m
Livramento/Cash/ Kehrer / Aarons 20-25m

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
If he signs a left footed RW and a DM then he is already a better manager than anyone post Fergie in my eyes. How often all these managers from Moyes to Ole misused the funds that were available and failed as a result because of the loopholes in the crucial areas which were neglected by them ? No proper RW for a decade , No proper DM in his prime for a decade. Oh but let’s buy some more centre backs every second summer and some more wingers who play better on the left every third summer and just fecking clog some positions and leave the others as it is.

Even if the budget is tight, let’s say 80m plus sales, it can be done. Generate around 60-70 m from the sales of henderson, Bailly, Martial, Dalot/AWB and we would have around 150m to play with. Now with this money, get

Antony 35-40m
Nkunku 40-45m
Kamara free
Tielemens 30-35m
Livramento/Cash/ Kehrer / Aarons 20-25m
Kehrer is a CB and Aarons is not really the player he was 18 months ago. Livramento would cost more than that too.

Devil’s Trident

Kehrer is a CB and Aarons is not really the player he was 18 months ago. Livramento would cost more than that too.
Kehrer is not an out and out CB and is solid at RB abit like Pavard if you like and plays there often for Psg and Germany too. Very good player, I rate him. But I agree with your general sentiment. The problem is there are no outstanding RB’s to choose from. Lamptey is injury prone and I doubt him in a back four anyway. Mazraoui is going to Bayern I believe. Who do you think we should go for ?

croadyman

I see things like this and I know it only contributes to my crushing disappointment of eventually seeing Pochettino in the OT dugout
Yeah you just know Ralf is absolutely hammering the Ten Hag drum but the board have Fergie in their ear talking up Pochettino

Tarrou

One of the good things about ETH is he could potentially fill 2/3 holes in our squad from Ajax or the Dutch league for quite cheap

We can’t keep blasting 50m quid on every player who comes straight to the first team

Devil’s Trident

One of the good things about ETH is he could potentially fill 2/3 holes in our squad from Ajax or the Dutch league for quite cheap

We can’t keep blasting 50m quid on every player who comes straight to the first team
ETH isn’t a miracle worker or a magician, nobody is. You can’t sign a cheap DM from eredivisie or a striker and expect to challenge for trophies. The holes we have in our team are DM, RW and CF. Which players do you think we can sign for cheap and challenge Liverpool and city ? All those players at cheap might be good for Ajax v rest of eredivisie. But at united to fill those key positions we have to sign some top players. Though some players might be good like Antony but they won’t be cheap at all.

Last edited:

croadyman

ETH isn’t a miracle worker or a magician, nobody is. You can’t sign a cheap DM from eredivisie or a striker and expect to challenge for trophies. The holes we have in our team are DM, RW and CF. Which players do you think we can sign for cheap and challenge Liverpool and city. All those players at cheap might be good for Ajax v rest of eredivisie. But at united to fill those key positions we have to sign some top players. Though some players might be good like Antony but they won’t be cheap at all.
Also got issues at RB & CM as well

Tarrou

ETH isn’t a miracle worker or a magician, nobody is. You can’t sign a cheap DM from eredivisie or a striker and expect to challenge for trophies. The holes we have in our team are DM, RW and CF. Which players do you think we can sign for cheap and challenge Liverpool and city ? All those players at cheap might be good for Ajax v rest of eredivisie. But at united to fill those key positions we have to sign some top players. Though some players might be good like Antony but they won’t be cheap at all.
the right back for free and then Antony for a reasonable amount would be a decent start

Obviously I know feckall about the rest of the league but if he thinks there is some value there then great

I think we’ll go shopping in France for a DM

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Give rangnick the sports director role and see him transform the club. I bet the first thing he does is put the lazy fecks on the market and sign ten hag and gives him a decent sized transfer kitty.

Devil’s Trident

the right back for free and then Antony for a reasonable amount would be a decent start

Obviously I know feckall about the rest of the league but if he thinks there is some value there then great

I think we’ll go shopping in France for a DM
Mazraoui is heading to Bayern and Antony won’t be cheap, would be around 40-45m.

United in sin

Give rangnick the sports director role and see him transform the club. I bet the first thing he does is put the lazy fecks on the market and sign ten hag and gives him a decent sized transfer kitty.
Do you understand what John Murtough's role is at united?

Last edited:

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I see things like this and I know it only contributes to my crushing disappointment of eventually seeing Pochettino in the OT dugout
While I think they are both equally good, ETH will be a signal that the Glazers want to change their ways and Poch will be a signal that they don't.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
that's just guesswork
I think Mazraoui is apparently keen on Barcelona but Raiola is pushing him toward Bayern. This is according to Romano and some others. I dont see us getting him in that regard.

As for Antony, I doubt we can pick him up for less than 40m eur. Hes one of Ajax star players.

Tarrou

I think Mazraoui is apparently keen on Barcelona but Raiola is pushing him toward Bayern. This is according to Romano and some others. I dont see us getting him in that regard.

As for Antony, I doubt we can pick him up for less than 40m eur. Hes one of Ajax star players.
Yeah as I said, guesswork. Do people genuinely go through life thinking Romano et al aren’t making shit up and taking educated guesses too? He’s been wrong tonnes of time and when you watch his interviews he leaves so much open to interpretation and sounds exactly like one of those grifter mediums you see on the tele.

Even if Mazaoui wants Bayern nobody knows what he’ll do if his current manager gets in his ear about United with a higher wage all of a sudden.

But it’s besides the point really. Historically the Dutch league has been a good source of players and we’ve had success there, usually at a fair price. Having a manager who - understands the league, the language, has respect of the players, has local contacts, and is managing one of the best Ajax teams in decades who have 4/5 sought after stars and an amazing youth setup - is obviously a good thing.

Edit: 40m € doesn’t sound too bad for a star attacking player. We got VDB for a bit cheaper than the reported amounts leading up up it, too.

AneRu

Also got issues at RB & CM as well
Truth, I think DM, RB, RW and CM are more important because they give us balance and the ability to fluidly move the ball from deeper areas. Ideally we should be getting in a striker, LB and CB too but that won't happen under the Glazers as the transfer bill would balloon to £350m.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Depends on what you mean by 'cheap'. £10-20m? Sure. But we also can't just splurge all our transfer kitty on one or two expensive signings and except to be much better off.

What we really should be looking to do is sign a bunch of players who are all under £40m or so. None of them might be amazing on the individual level, but we need to rebuild our team with a solid base of players who actually suit playing with each other and the style that the new manager and club want to move to. Of course the hope is that some of those players actually take the step up to being truly top players themselves. Then in the future we top that up with one or two big expensive signings a season (much the same way this Liverpool team was built).

Corridor of Uncertainty

"His determination to find improvement was all-consuming, with no time limits placed on training sessions."

Going to be plenty of unhappy players leaving Carrington in the dark! :devil:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sounds good. To me it's vital that the club fully dives into ETH's vision. Those who aren't "feeling it" can leave. Given the reports we've had of players not wanting to put the work in and others who are tactical headaches, a manager having bad/difficult eggs forced upon him will struggle to see his ideas reflect well in performances.

Status
Not open for further replies.