Next Spurs manager?

Chairman Steve

I don’t even care about Jose
Out of all Europe
Sad to leave it all behind
We’ll be coming back for you, Juande
We‘ll be coming back for you, Juande

tomaldinho1

How is the man who currently has Southampton with one point more than Steve Bruce at Newcastle still getting his name linked to bigger jobs?
Very simply because he is over performing versus Bruce who is underperforming.

People really need to stop thinking this Southampton platform is the same as the one Poch/Koeman took on - the new ownership has changed everything and if they avoid a relegation fight they’re doing well.

acnumber9

Very simply because he is over performing versus Bruce who is underperforming.

People really need to stop thinking this Southampton platform is the same as the one Poch/Koeman took on - the new ownership has changed everything and if they avoid a relegation fight they’re doing well.
Underperforming? With that Newcastle side? They’re dreadful and he’s had his best player missing for large parts of the season. Nonsense.

BorisManUtd

Nagelsmann (unlikely though if Bayern are in for him), Sarri, ten Hag, Allegri, Hasenhuttl, Potter, so plenty of choices. Don't think Rodgers would leave Leicester for Spurs, especially if they achieve top 4 (and win the FA cup).

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Should go for someone who can utilise a limited budget of squad. Ralph Hasenhüttl has similar principle to Poch, high press, demand hard work and capable to make nobody players to somebody. On the table, Southampton does not look promising but I'm looking at that Southampton team, their players are relegation PL level of players. I struggle to name more than 4 of their players will get into mid table sides. Only Ings, JWP, Romeu & Vestergaard are the ones I consider as mid table or above PL level players.

tomaldinho1

Underperforming? With that Newcastle side? They’re dreadful and he’s had his best player missing for large parts of the season. Nonsense.
Look at their spending. Then compare their wage structure to Southampton’s. Then come back to me.

acnumber9

Look at their spending. Then compare their wage structure to Southampton’s. Then come back to me.
Look at their teams and then come back to me. Newcastle are fecking rotten. Newcastle have spent a whole £11m more over the last two seasons. Wow.

K stand Red

I think Nuno from Wolves would be a good choice. Has done an excellent job at wolves on a limited budget and comes across well in interviews

Chairman Steve

I think Nuno from Wolves would be a good choice. Has done an excellent job at wolves on a limited budget and comes across well in interviews
Nuno has played some dire as feck football with Wolves this past year despite having an abundance of talent available, and for him to follow Jose would be torture to Spurs fans. He might get the results but at the price of boring you to tears.

tomaldinho1

Look at their teams and then come back to me. Newcastle are fecking rotten. Newcastle have spent a whole £11m more over the last two seasons. Wow.
I’m not debating Newcastle’s ills but Bruce and Hasnehuttl have been at their respective clubs a relatively similar amount of time (hasenhuttl came in and saved Soton from relegation but they’ve had similar transfer windows) so this is very convenient for comparison.
Net spend Southampton: ~€31m (19/20) and ~€14m (20/21). Total = €45m
Net spend Newcastle: ~€37m (19/20) and ~€39m (20/21). Total = €76m

Even if you were right, and it was actually closer, Bruce would still be underperforming. He’s almost universally wanted out by all Toon fans I know.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
They don't particularly love him on the Wolves forum I read because of the dire football. I don't think his next move will be a move up. No club with choices wants to sign up for that brand of football these days.

acnumber9

I’m not debating Newcastle’s ills but Bruce and Hasnehuttl have been at their respective clubs a relatively similar amount of time (hasenhuttl came in and saved Soton from relegation but they’ve had similar transfer windows) so this is very convenient for comparison.
Net spend Southampton: ~€31m (19/20) and ~€14m (20/21). Total = €45m
Net spend Newcastle: ~€37m (19/20) and ~€39m (20/21). Total = €76m

Even if you were right, and it was actually closer, Bruce would still be underperforming. He’s almost universally wanted out by all Toon fans I know.
I said what they spent. Newcastle have next to no players people want to sign so can’t really hold that against Bruce. Or remember Joelinton is a £40m player and consider whether that means he should be doing better than the striker Southampton have.

Newcastle fans wanting him out is my point. Hassenhutl should be doing considerably better than a man most people want sacked to be talked about as getting a promotion. You’ve hitched your wagon to the wrong guy.

tomaldinho1

I said what they spent. Newcastle have next to no players people want to sign so can’t really hold that against Bruce. Or remember Joelinton is a £40m player and consider whether that means he should be doing better than the striker Southampton have.

Newcastle fans wanting him out is my point. Hassenhutl should be doing considerably better than a man most people want sacked to be talked about as getting a promotion. You’ve hitched your wagon to the wrong guy.
I don’t get the logic here at, sorry. I’m saying Bruce is underperforming and Hasenhuttl is over performing. I’ve presented facts that Bruce has spent more and yet one is above the other and one is, at least trying to play, proactive football

You should also factor in players like Ings, JWP, Romeu, Hojberg, vestergaard etc now versus when Hasenhuttl came in - he improves a lot of players. Hell look at Adams and Walcott, they are such average players. Now look at Newcastle - I rate ASM, Wilson, Almeron, Willock from an attacking sense but the issue is they play structured defensive football and they should be higher than they are. No one wants to hire Bruce because he doesn’t guarantee results and he guarantees shit football.

Your question was why is one manager in contention for jobs like Spurs but the other isn’t , well there’s your answer.

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
Obviously I don't want to see Tottenham doing well, but I think Sarri would be a shrewd choice. He has his own brand of attacking possession football and I felt he was unlucky at his previous two clubs, where he still won trophies and reached finals.

I'd love him at Arsenal; Arteta is just awful as a manager, worse than Lampard imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheimoon

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I really think they should be looking closely at Graham Potter. They'll probably want a more glamorous appointment but I think he'd do a fine job there with that squad

Lee565

Why not give it to moyes, sure he didn't do well with united but managing spurs would be less high pressure for him to deal with and has show with the likes of west ham and everton that he can get his teams playing good football and fighting for top 4 football, he also doesnt demand a huge transfer budget and likes to build over the long term

acnumber9

I don’t get the logic here at, sorry. I’m saying Bruce is underperforming and Hasenhuttl is over performing. I’ve presented facts that Bruce has spent more and yet one is above the other and one is, at least trying to play, proactive football

You should also factor in players like Ings, JWP, Romeu, Hojberg, vestergaard etc now versus when Hasenhuttl came in - he improves a lot of players. Hell look at Adams and Walcott, they are such average players. Now look at Newcastle - I rate ASM, Wilson, Almeron, Willock from an attacking sense but the issue is they play structured defensive football and they should be higher than they are. No one wants to hire Bruce because he doesn’t guarantee results and he guarantees shit football.

Your question was why is one manager in contention for jobs like Spurs but the other isn’t , well there’s your answer.
He’s improved them to being slightly better than an awful Newcastle team. That’s the point here. I’m not arguing Bruce is doing great, I’m arguing Hassenhutl is doing nothing to justify a promotion. Bruce is being used to illustrate how shite Southampton are actually doing.

Redlyn

Rodgers would be ideal for them, but seems like a sideways move for him now.

I have been looking at Allegri. He doesn't speak much English and seems too entrenched in Italian football. Can he adapt outside of his comfort zone? it's a bit of a risk, but he could be a solid option who is available and probably willing.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Bring back Christian Gross. I want see him talk about his Oyster Card.

Random other name - Lopetegui. Going great guns at Sevilla, in the title race as of now. Don't know much about him tactically other than remembering the match against us in the Europa which of course he won. Would think richer clubs could be in for him again one day soon and his stock must be high right now even though he didn't do it at Real Madrid. Would have to wait until the end of the season to even approach one would think.

Last edited:

kidbob

I mean it has to be Potter or Ralph doesn't it? Rodgers isn't stupid enough to leave a better team for them. Maybe Sarri but I doubt it. It has to be either of those and they both would be good appointments but anyone who takes the job will be crippled by Kane and Son leaving, which for me is 100% at this stage. They need the money and they are their only two assets and unfortunately a lot of that money won't be reinvested in the team. Maybe Potter can keep them comfortably top half long enough to eventually build something but I fancy the likes of Leeds to overtake them soon enough if they keep Biesla and invest well.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Sarri is an interesting shout, can’t help but think he’ll get pelters from half the media though. Rodgers is probably the best option but a top four finish and possibly a trophy and the right players in the summer and he has a real chance of establishing soemthing special there. Can’t see him throwing that away for Spurs and levy. Nagelsmann would be great but he could be Bayern’s first choice. Hassenhutl and potter are also good shouts.

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
Seriously? Im told that Wolves owners are the nearest in wealth to Citeh! He insists on keeping a small squad, which is impractical. He has f****d up!

Why not give it to moyes, sure he didn't do well with united but managing spurs would be less high pressure for him to deal with and has show with the likes of west ham and everton that he can get his teams playing good football and fighting for top 4 football, he also doesnt demand a huge transfer budget and likes to build over the long term
I think he's too much of a limited manager even for Spurs. Very qualified for mid table sides who can bounce a bit up and down, but Spurs should aim slightly higher.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Sarri is an interesting shout, can’t help but think he’ll get pelters from half the media though. Rodgers is probably the best option but a top four finish and possibly a trophy and the right players in the summer and he has a real chance of establishing soemthing special there. Can’t see him throwing that away for Spurs and levy. Nagelsmann would be great but he could be Bayern’s first choice. Hassenhutl and potter are also good shouts.
I think Sarri has been harshly treated in his last two jobs. His football isn't great but he's won silverware, he got fecked off for fat Frank who won nothing and Pirlo who has Juventus not winning Serie A for the first time in years.

Maybe Sarri will be too much like Mourinho though.

Hughes35

If I was a Tottenham fan, from the realistic options available Ten Hag would be my first choice and I'm surprised they haven't been linked to Bielsa.

Can't see Rogers leaving for Spurs, Nagelsmann is going to Bayern, Hassenhuttle, Howe & Nuno are nothing special.

Potter is an interesting one, I can't work out if he is a good manager or not.

Mr. Ant

They will give it to Ryan Mason or someone cheap I reckon.

After that failed expensive experiment with Jose, no super league, not even champions league and they still didn't sell naming right to the stadium, they have no planned events like NFL etc so Levy won't spend millions on another expensive manager imo.