Next United manager 2020/21 edition

AgentSmith

What makes Tuchel and Pochettino any less of a risk... Every man is a risk for every job and its wrong to think otherwise. For me, Brendan Rodgers is the obvious candidate by a million miles, yet hardly anyone can see this as they can't look beyond the tips of their noses.
Obviously every managerial appointment is a risk but not all risks are created equal. Poch or Tuchel would have been much less of a risk than someone like Nageslmann was my point.

Pochettino had clearly proven he had the ability to produce a side capable of challenging for the league, and in Europe, while playing attractive football. And that was on a relatively modest budget.

Tuchel had produced similar results at Dortmund and PSG. He also seemed tactically excellent as a coach and Chelsea’s results since he joined would corroborate that view.

Rodgers is a good alternative though you’re right. He’s done an excellent job at Leicester, has a clearly defined style and is Premier League proven. He just feels a little...uninspired? My reasons for that are facile though so you’d be correct to label them wrong.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Rodgers wouldn't last 5 minutes here. I can see the posts now "why did we hire a failed Liverpool manager and expect it to work".

Leicester were poor tonight again, very fortunate to win.

Well if you want to talk points its not progress.
Wins too.

2018-2019: 66 points and 19 wins.

2019-2020: 66 points and 18 wins.

2020-2021: predicted around 69 points and 19 wins.

We still have a chance to make 2020-2021 much better than the prediction and show some genuine tangible progress, otherwise it’s hard to argue we haven’t just stood still for 3 years.

GoldTrafford99

Again with the comparisons, different era, different football different league of managers. Just because Ole said he needs 5 years to win title doesn't mean it is going to be a reality.

Well it certainly won't be a reality if he doesn't get the five years, will it?

What do you wanna do? Hire and fire more world class, big name managers? Sign lots more big name players?

Or do you wanna do what this club - and only this club does best - give a manager time and patience to build a long-term legacy from within?

If it helps, I can tell you what all of the proper match-going Manchester United fans would prefer... the latter. And only the latter.

There are little to zero complaints form proper United fans with regards Ole's reign. in fact everyone I talk to is hugely excited by all of the potential. The only complaints come from 'online fans' - but sure that's all they are, 'online fans'.

croadyman

What do you wanna do? Hire and fire more world class, big name managers? Sign lots more big name players?

Or do you wanna do what this club - and only this club does best - give a manager time and patience to build a long-term legacy from within?

If it helps, I can tell you what all of the proper match-going Manchester United fans would prefer... the latter. And only the latter.

There are little to zero complaints form proper United fans with regards Ole's reign. in fact everyone I talk to is hugely excited by all of the potential. The only complaints come from 'online fans' - but sure that's all they are, 'online fans'.
I know that you are still a newbie but can you not brand everyone on here who thinks Ole isn't the right manager as just online fans. Look I might be completely wrong on this but would be surprised if there aren't a few regular match going fans as you call them who feel we need to make the change in order to progress again. I wouldn't want the next manager to completely rip things up but don't believe if we appointed the right man that he would undo all of the good work that Ole has done at this club.

croadyman

Would be happy with any of Ten Haag, Rodgers, Nagelsmann, Bielsa and could maybe even throw in wildcards like Hasenhuttl/Gerrard (yes I know he played for the old enemy but just remember so did Sir Matt too)

Josh 76

Would be happy with any of Ten Haag, Rodgers, Nagelsmann, Bielsa and could maybe even throw in wildcards like Hasenhuttl/Gerrard (yes I know he played for the old enemy but just remember so did Sir Matt too)
Gerrard ????
Must be a piss take.

MU655

Gerrard ????
Must be a piss take.
To be fair, he has done at least as much as Solskjaer, if not more. And if it is about being an ex-Liverpool player: If he turned into a top manager, would you really turn him down just because he played for Liverpool?

He would probably turn us down, of course, just to avoid trouble with Liverpool fans. But I would say it would be ridiculous to turn down anyone based on previous clubs.

In the end, we scraped the bottom of barrel by signing Solskjaer. Nothing seems ridiculous anymore.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Wins too.

2018-2019: 66 points and 19 wins.

2019-2020: 66 points and 18 wins.

2020-2021: predicted around 69 points and 19 wins.

We still have a chance to make 2020-2021 much better than the prediction and show some genuine tangible progress, otherwise it’s hard to argue we haven’t just stood still for 3 years.
A certain section will not like this post.

dove

This post is a true definition of "top red". Congratulations :lol:

RedBanker

I love you Ole

"Proper United fans" Haha. The standards keep getting lowered here everyday.

MU655

Nagelsmann doesn't seem interested in leaving Leipzig. Rodgers is potentially an option, but I don't think Leicester will let him go as easily as Celtic. Ancelotti has a good thing going at Everton, which he may want to continue with. Rose is joining Dortmund. Pochettino is now at PSG. The options seem a bit limited, but those seem the best to me.

I know people are going to say this is ridiculous, but if we can't get any of the above I actually wouldn't mind seeing Graham Potter given a chance, even if it is only a season. I think his style will transfer well to a big team and remember that Tuchel and Klopp (two of the most sought after managers) joined Dortmund from smaller sides in their own league. You can't always be dismissive, particularly when there aren't many quality/promising managers available.

Dean Smith has done a good job at Aston Villa, also, but I get the inkling that Potter would do better. I think he is a very promising manager.

Also, I really hope we won't go for Allegri; I have a bad feeling about him.

MU655

What gave you that idea?
I'm pretty sure I read something about him wanting to carry on the project. It could be true, but it is possible he was talking rubbish. I'm just assuming he was telling the truth.

Eplel

I'm pretty sure I read something about him wanting to carry on the project. It could be true, but it is possible he was talking rubbish. I'm just assuming he was telling the truth.
He also said he sees himself following Klopp's footsteps and joining another league. I really doubt he would turn down an offer from us, or another big club, unless he felt that the club wouldn't suite him.

Foxbatt

If we go for Nagelsmann he has the upper hand in asking for his conditions. I don't think he is going to play counter attacking football only. He is going to get us to play the way he wants us to play no matter what our squad is.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Missing out on Pochettino was bordering on criminal, admittedly in my opinion. Was a board level equivalent of an open goal, there was a period where Ole was really struggling and Pochettino was sat by the phone in full expectation of a coming offer from us.

First choice now should be Nagelsmann. I think Rodgers is an excellent manager and coach but the Liverpool past is complicated and fans would be breathing down his neck as soon as any bad results hit, no way would he get the favourable treatment that Ole has. Tuchel would have been an option but he is now at Chelsea. Agree with some others that I would rather keep Ole than get a defensive pragmatist like Allegri in, the thought of it is horrible, was bad enough with Mourinho -even though I respect his past achievements and legacy as a manager. Graham Potter looks a good coach and is doing a good job at Brighton, but seriously?! You need a lot of faith that a good manager can step into a club as big as Utd and do well, look what happened to Moyes. I concede that this leap of faith does also apply to Nagelsmann, but he is building a relatively long track record of truly impressive results now and is so young with a huge ceiling of potential.

Last edited:

Velvet Revolver

It is not always about the length of the contract. so according to your logic why didn't we give Moyes, LVG, Jose etc time until their contract was over? there needs to be short medium and long term goals for any club and manager. Right now i am not seeing any plan. The fact that other teams are underperforming is the sole reason why we are so high in the table.

Also if you look at it, Chelsea, pool, LC* City have all had managers who have won the league with different managers. United should not be an anomaly on this. it is 100% because of us not having any sort of strategy in transfer and or management.

matt10000

You are a glass half full type. I just see us as part of a mediocre chasing group and going nowhere.

What does 78% complete mean, by the way? It sounds very precise.
You call me glass half full. Well I am a realist who recognises that we are evolving and City have hnlkkited reaources.

78% came from me because that is what I think. I am very precise