Next United manager 2020/21 edition

reddev3

Liverpool imploding this season is probably a bad thing for our club as it has given a false sense of believe amongst the board and fans that we are making progress on last season just because we are ahead of liverpool but we are once again scrapping for a champions league spot and will likely finish 20+ points off the champions just like the last 3 seasons.
This winds me up so much, just like the poster above saying would you have wanted Ole sacked if you knew we were going to be above Liverpool at this stage of season. The truth of the matter is we are 5 and 6 points clear of Everton and West Ham who both have a game in hand and we play City.

reddev3

Nope. I'd say the fact that we are thirteen points up on where we were this time last season gives the fans a REALISTIC sense of belief that we are making progress..

It's not difficult. It's simple maths.
And we are 1 point less than the season before that and 5 less than the season before that one and then 1 point worse off again the season before that one so this simple maths you're talking about show Ole is making us regress. His two proper seasons are lower than the three that came before before him.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
There is no such a thing as a 4-5 year plan in football. Its amazing that people still believe bs like this. If you have the qualities you compete, if not you try next season with the proper preparation. Its as simple as that.

simplyared

We've been on a roller coaster ride since Ole took over. Feels more like a period of frustration than success. Soom good highs but then again som terrible lows.

Getting knocked out of CL against Leipzig
The recent away performance at Sellhurst Park
His reluctance to use his bench when there are options to improve our play on 60 mins
His lack of coaching during games. Sitting in the stands staring at a computer screen isn't the way in my world
Bruno Fernandes drop in form definately an issue which I reckon is manager related

Too many negatives for me.

Give it to the "obvious" one - Brendan Rogers!

croadyman

Would love Nagelsmann to get the job but every time that toy story puppet has one of those investor calls you know that a staunch defence and backing of Ole won't be too far behind so worry he doesn't even think we need to change

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Would love Nagelsmann to get the job but every time that toy story puppet has one of those investor calls you know that a staunch defence and backing of Ole won't be too far behind so worry he doesn't even think we need to change
You have to hope Spurs actually do well and they don't go after him.

AgentSmith

Nope. I'd say the fact that we are thirteen points up on where we were this time last season gives the fans a REALISTIC sense of belief that we are making progress..

2020/21 - 27 games - 51 points
2019/20 - 27 games - 41 points

So 10 points, not 13. Simple maths.

It’s also simplistic maths as it removes the context of our current run compared to the run we had at the end of last season.

We’re currently 10 points better off than last season but if we lose tomorrow we’re on track to finish with 69 points. We finished last season with 66 points.

I agree we’ve made progress but using such a reductive argument will inevitably miss exactly how much.

Rolaholic

Of course there is. Dont be ridiculous
No clubs like City and Liverpool just happened to luck on to their recent success by chance, no advanced planning or anything involved

not being serious

croadyman

Liverpool imploding this season is probably a bad thing for our club as it has given a false sense of believe amongst the board and fans that we are making progress on last season just because we are ahead of liverpool but we are once again scrapping for a champions league spot and will likely finish 20+ points off the champions just like the last 3 seasons.
Yeah Woody fails to realise that the fact they have injuries to three key players is playing a significant part in why they have lost 5 straight games at home this season meaning people are not playing in their best position. This has definitely made him have this daft belief that they are on some kind of slide again and he's doing the right thing by sticking with Ole

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Yeah Woody fails to realise that the fact they have injuries to three key players is playing a significant part in why they have lost 5 straight games at home this season meaning people are not playing in their best position. This has definitely made him have this daft belief that they are on some kind of slide again and he's doing the right thing by sticking with Ole
Do you give Solskjaer the same excuse with injuries? Like we have recently with Pogba and others.

You know for 'definite' that the reason Woodward hasn't sacked Solskjaer is because Liverpool have lost some games?

croadyman

Do you give Solskjaer the same excuse with injuries? Like we have recently with Pogba and others.

You know for 'definite' that the reason Woodward hasn't sacked Solskjaer is because Liverpool have lost some games?
Yeah there is no doubt our midfield is utter shite on the ball without Pogba in there and we have suffered massively since he went down injured against Everton, of course Donny isn't anywhere near his ability but Ole could at least have given him more opportunity in Paul's absence don't you think. I don't see Woody ever sacking Ole because of the club legend status no matter whether we finish in the top 4 or not because he genuinely seems to think there is no one better out there.

red4ever 79

And we are 1 point less than the season before that and 5 less than the season before that one and then 1 point worse off again the season before that one so this simple maths you're talking about show Ole is making us regress. His two proper seasons are lower than the three that came before before him.
Exactly. We were absolutely shite last season however let's use that as a level of where we are. We were better off this time two seasons ago. Awful performances this season boring as feck under him. No rotation, two holding midfielders every game

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Yeah there is no doubt our midfield is utter shite on the ball without Pogba in there and we have suffered massively since he went down injured against Everton, of course Donny isn't anywhere near his ability but Ole could at least have given him more opportunity in Paul's absence don't you think. I don't see Woody ever sacking Ole because of the club legend status no matter whether we finish in the top 4 or not because he genuinely seems to think there is no one better out there.
Van de Beek has missed 4 of the last 5 also otherwise he might have had a chance.

He'll sack him when it isn't a big gamble to do so, which for the current options right now is all that it is.

Lee565

Yep, it shows a real a lack of ambition on the pitch from our club when finishing above a liverpool side that have had a freakishly bad season by their recent standards is seen as a successful season, it's almost the same type of mentality spurs use to have when a successful season in their eyes was finishing above arsenal.

croadyman

Van de Beek has missed 4 of the last 5 also otherwise he might have had a chance.

He'll sack him when it isn't a big gamble to do so, which for the current options right now is all that it is.
So who wouldn't you see as a big gamble then just out of interest and don't you worry about talented managers like Ten Haag/Nagelsmann/Hasenhuttl (yes I know he got beat 9-0 twice) getting taken off the table by other rival clubs

Lee565

2020/21 - 27 games - 51 points
2019/20 - 27 games - 41 points

So 10 points, not 13. Simple maths.

It’s also simplistic maths as it removes the context of our current run compared to the run we had at the end of last season.

We’re currently 10 points better off than last season but if we lose tomorrow we’re on track to finish with 69 points. We finished last season with 66 points.

I agree we’ve made progress but using such a reductive argument will inevitably miss exactly how much.
This, last season around this point we went on a good run after the typical rollercoaster bad run of form and this season it looks the opposite where we have had our good run of form for the season and are now hitting the usual bad form spell at the wrong time in the season.

I'm still struggling to see any progress though as it seems a lot of players have regressed this season and not using the squad as effectively as past seasons

AgentSmith

So who wouldn't you see as a big gamble then just out of interest
I think it’s definitely a gamble to look for a new manager now. There’s no ‘sure thing’ option to replace Ole with.

Tuchel and Pochettino were the two obvious candidates from those available but they’ve been locked up. Everyone else is either a risk (Nagelsmann) or a very uninspired choice (Allegri).

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
You must be in Woodwards inner circle to know his thought process so intimately

saivet

It's irrational as I think he's a good manager but I think Rodgers is a bit of a twat so I wouldn't want him managing United.

Roboc7

He has totally changed the whole dynamics of the club and how the academy relates to the first team FFS...

The progress since Ole came in around the whole club has been HUGE... The first team progress has been slow and steady.. but that. was never gonna improve with a huge trajectory given the mess Solskjaer inherited...

I don't think enough United fans are aware of this; certainly on the Caf... but Ole ain't going anywhere.The club are certain he is doing a great job. You only have to look at the young talent signed since Ole came in to know we have as bright a future as any club in Europe... There is no club in Europe who has the level of 17-19 year olds at their club that are comparible to what we currently have at United...

If you think this isn't down to everything Ole put in place since becoming our manager, then I can safely say you do not understand what is and has been going on at our football club.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer presented a five-six year plan to Ed Woodward in 2019, saying 'this is how we can win the league by 2024 and stay up there for years to come.

In January of 2021 - not even half way through that plan - United are 2nd in the league, we have signed the best young teen talent around the world and laced them in our academy ... and yet most buffoons on here think that's not good enough. Ha. Ha. You couldn't make this shit up.
Worst post I’ve seen in a long time, almost made me laugh out loud. You couldn’t be more wrong but are completely oblivious. All we need now is women’s team to win the league then Ole can have credit for that.

Judge the guy on what he’s actually doing not some fantasy you’ve made up in your head.

Last edited:

MU655

Worst case scenario at the end of this weekend:

MPPts
Man city
28​
68​
Leicester
28​
53​
Manutd
28​
51​
Chelsea
28​
50​
West Ham
27​
48​
Liverpool
28​
46​
Everton
27​
46​
Tottenham
27​
45​

We are in a bit of a pickle, at the moment. Considering where we were, we have been reeled right back in. Honestly, I think it is a bit of disaster if Leicester manage to overtake us.

It would mean that they are on course for a 20 point improvement since the half season Rodgers was hired. Compare that to our predicted 5 point improvement under Solskjaer in the same time period. We have also spent far more money. Time to look elsewhere.

Mainoldo

So if we end up 5 points better off than last season when it’s all wrapped up that’s good enough as it’s improvement?

The Neville wears Prada

I expect to get stick for it but I agree. He's certainly worthy of consideration after the jobs he did at Swansea, Liverpool, Celtic & now Leicester.
All of his teams played good football and were were organised.
I agree... Rodgers is highly underrated. Look at his CV, playing style, drive and over-achievement at all clubs he has worked at. He would have strong drive to win trophies too

MoskvaRed

Compete? Are you mad? Have you looked at the table we are second behind a team with unlimited resources (cheat mode).

If someone had told you that we would be second and above LPool in october would you have wanted him out? Stupid question really as your answer will be yes as even if we won the league it would be a one off fluke and a unique season where evryone was crap.

Massive rebuild 78% complete in my eyes and going nicely. Inconsistent at times but look where we are you crazy people.
You are a glass half full type. I just see us as part of a mediocre chasing group and going nowhere.

What does 78% complete mean, by the way? It sounds very precise.

GoldTrafford99

So if we end up 5 points better off than last season when it’s all wrapped up that’s good enough as it’s improvement?

Been cracking improvement under Ole... yes... whether we finish 10-points worse off to be honest.

I'm not so narrow-minded to judge Ole in his second full year out of five that he signed for... and five that he told Ed Woodward he would need to win the title.

If I was that level of stupid, I would have wanted Sir Matt sacked in 1948. And I would have wanted Sir Alex sacked in 1988.

Velvet Revolver

Been cracking improvement under Ole... yes... whether we finish 10-points worse off to be honest.

I'm not so narrow-minded to judge Ole in his second full year out of five that he signed for... and five that he told Ed Woodward he would need to win the title.

If I was that level of stupid, I would have wanted Sir Matt sacked in 1948. And I would have wanted Sir Alex sacked in 1988.
Again with the comparisons, different era, different football different league of managers. Just because Ole said he needs 5 years to win title doesn't mean it is going to be a reality.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

Well if you want to talk points its not progress. It might be progress over his own abysmal form of this time last year, but not over Mourinho. We've actually got 5 points less than Mourinho did after the same amount of matches, and one point less than Ole when he took over with the same amount of games, that's not progress.

Mainoldo

:lol:

Keep it up man!! Personally I’ve missed you ;)

Hawks2008

Lots of posters saying Nagelsmann but is the real deal though? Great coach for sure but does he need a DoF above him i wonder.

dove

I don't get this point at all. We were absolutely shambolic this time last season and correct me if I am wrong but I think we had lower points than fecking Moyes after whatever amount of matches we had played at this point. Not making any progress on that disaster would have been some feat by our coaching staff. So if you look at "progress" compared to Ole himself then yea, we are doing slightly better this season. If you compare him to other managers we had then not really. I think we are very likely to not reach 70 points again and it is simply not good enough, doesn't matter how hard you try to make it look like "progress".

The Neville wears Prada

I think it’s definitely a gamble to look for a new manager now. There’s no ‘sure thing’ option to replace Ole with.

Tuchel and Pochettino were the two obvious candidates from those available but they’ve been locked up. Everyone else is either a risk (Nagelsmann) or a very uninspired choice (Allegri).
What makes Tuchel and Pochettino any less of a risk... Every man is a risk for every job and its wrong to think otherwise. For me, Brendan Rodgers is the obvious candidate by a million miles, yet hardly anyone can see this as they can't look beyond the tips of their noses.

The Neville wears Prada

Weighing up all options and what we need in a United manager, there is only one really obvious candidate.

Our requirements;
- Attacking style of play
- Bringing through youth players
- Challenging for every trophy and cup entered
- An adaptable and driven manager

It is really so so obvious and we would easily get him too... Brendan Rodgers of course!

He would have our current team performing to a much higher standard with clear patterns of play. He has a mid table team above us for goodness sake and has over-achieved by huge margins at all teams he has worked at. He would also be more driven than anyone else I can think of in terms of winning honours.

I can't think of one reason why we wouldn't go for him! (don't mention Liverpool links as that would be severely shallow and lack the creative thinking we need).

kerryman

Moyes has West Ham only a few points behind us, Ancellotti the same with Everton and Rodgers at our level with Leicester...all of them operating with a much smaller budget. I really don't think we are progressing much, if at all, under Ole. Many say our squad is much better than any of these (as it should be given how much we've spent), imagine then where we might be with any of those guys managing us this season then...

The Neville wears Prada

Moyes has West Ham only a few points behind us, Ancellotti the same with Everton and Rodgers at our level with Leicester...all of them operating with a much smaller budget. I really don't think we are progressing much, if at all, under Ole. Many say our squad is much better than any of these (as it should be given how much we've spent), imagine then where we might be with any of those guys managing us this season then...
Moyes aside (as we know what happened there), you are spot on here... Ancelotti and Rodgers would have us performing more consistently without a doubt. Our squad is miles better than Leicester and Everton squads and we are now being held back by Ole. I am a huge fan and advocate of Rodgers' work and just know he is so glaringly the right person for us, but hardly any of our fans can see it (or are too stubborn linking him to Liverpool which is pathetic).