Next United manager 2020/21 edition

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Even just seeing some of the suggestions in here, Alegri, Conte, Ancelloti just makes me want to stick with Ole. Can't be arsed with more old, negative managers in charge.

samolocix

Supports
United
Conte anyone?
Inter seems to be in financial crisis

El Presidente

Jesus the uproar if that ever happened :lol: tbh I like potter and would be interested to see what he can do with a better squad but not ours, far far away from ours
Yeah, I can totally understand the downsides of it. It can be a similar experience to the Moyes one, where the step up will be just too big for him and he'll be out of his depth.
All I'm saying is that if we decide to go for the hipster choice, I'd definitely take him over Ralph, Gasperini or Rose for that matter (even though he's already going to Dortmund).

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
If Victor Font doens't become Barcelona's new president, Xavi Hernandez might be an option for you. He's won things with Al Sadd which can't be much worse than winning things at Molde....

Anyway, given how bare the cupboard appears to be, Erik Ten Haag and Julian Nagglemann would be the best out there. If Spain have a good Euro's, how many of you consider Luis Enrique?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'm still on the fence, however, if it was up to me I'd like to see us go for Graham Potter. The underlying stats suggest he's a diamond in the rough. His Brighton team creates countless chances with personnel not even close to the level that we have, I think he's a potential title winner with high-quality players.

Wayne's World

If Victor Font doens't become Barcelona's new president, Xavi Hernandez might be an option for you. He's won things with Al Sadd which can't be much worse than winning things at Molde....

Anyway, given how bare the cupboard appears to be, Erik Ten Haag and Julian Nagglemann would be the best out there. If Spain have a good Euro's, how many of you consider Luis Enrique?
Absolutely, I have said this all along, he should be on the shortlist. Fantastic manager and I'm not judging him on his Barcelona days when he won everything with Suarez, Messi and Neymar but since he's took over Spain, he's brought a different dimension to Spain's team in fluency in attack along with a defensive stability

I don't know If he would consider it but seeing as your a Barcelona fan, you would know better then me on that

Dansk

We're probably losing Pogba this summer.

Odds are good that DDG will want away as well, and while that doesn't currently look like a big loss, it still means that we'll have to break in a new keeper. That's always a bit of an ordeal. Keepers are very often poor in their first season.

While Bruno hasn't shown any signs of wanting away, I can imagine he'll start to get offers if he continues the incredible start he has had here. If we don't start to seriously compete for trophies, I expect those offers will begin to look tempting.

Rashford and especially Martial increasingly look like they're not the strikers we had hoped for, and we'll need to look for a natural goalscorer who isn't 34. These two will not become our Cole and Yorke, that seems clear by now.

Whoever takes over from Ole, he'll have on his hands what is essentially a rebuilding project. And that's after we've supposedly been rebuilding for seven years. We've got a young squad, but the trouble with young players is you never really know if they turn into anything. How many have we had who looked highly promising around 20, only to leave for a mid-table team a few years later when it turns out that they hit a ceiling that proved too low? I have a strong suspicion that this will be the case for several of the players that many currently regard as the future of the team.

K Stand Knut

Fair play to you lad if you think we can stay in the top 4. In a couple of weeks we will be sat under West Ham United.
No. You’re right, I stand corrected. You’re spot on. There is no chance at all that we’ll stay in the top 4. No chance at all. I wish we’d taken advantage of the situation when it was on our own hands.

No chance

GROW UP

Falcow

Carlo hasn't won league with Real Madrid, chocked badly actually. He hasn't won the league in Juventus too, was a disaster spell for them around 20 years ago. Bayern also couldn't wait to get rid of him, absolutely wrong appointment. Carlo is living on Champions League laurels, he's got a bit of Rafa Benitez shadow around him.

Why would you hire him? He can't compete with Rodgers, and Pep and Klopp (and Tuchel will be soon too) are so far above him it's ridiculous.
Correction noted with Real.

I've already outlined why I would hire him I.e. he has a track record of success and has done well pretty much everywhere he has been.

Roger's on the other hand has only been a success at........wait for it........Celtic, boy did he really turn that club around, leading them back to the promised land......oh wait actually, they had already won the previous 7 or 8 leagues before that or however many it was.

Rogers has achieved the sum total of nothing thus far in his career and never will but you think Carlo cant compete with him? Pray tell why you hold this very unique view?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We'll miss out on all the interesting targets because of tradition, loyalty and false dawns (coveted top 4 trophy).

Eplel

It has to be Nagelsmann, and we have to move NOW, not in May, IF Ole doesn't bottle it.

Olegave us what he had to give, but to improve we need a good tactician, and Ole might as well be the worst tactician in the league.

AshRK

Correction noted with Real.

I've already outlined why I would hire him I.e. he has a track record of success and has done well pretty much everywhere he has been.

Roger's on the other hand has only been a success at........wait for it........Celtic, boy did he really turn that club around, leading them back to the promised land......oh wait actually, they had already won the previous 7 or 8 leagues before that or however many it was.

Rogers has achieved the sum total of nothing thus far in his career and never will but you think Carlo cant compete with him? Pray tell why you hold this very unique view?
Yes the overrating of Rodgers here by some in caf is amusing. Don't rate him that much. I bet fans will call for his head in a year's time if he were to manage us.

Eplel

Yes the overrating of Rodgers here by some in caf is amusing. Don't rate him that much. I bet fans will call for his head in a year's time if he were to manage us.
Not nearly as bad as the overrating of Ole.

He's a club legend, he's our manager, but we got to face the truth: He's not a good manager.

Judas

Open to offers
I don't even want Ole sacked necessarily but at the same time I would be annoyed if Nagelsmann went to Spurs because I'd want him to come to us.
Basically where I am. I think Ole sticking with his current coaching setup will cost him eventually. There's a lot I like about Ole, but I think the structure needs a lot of work and we're seriously lacking on the pitch.

I'll be gutted to see us bumble along like we are, doing enough to stay up there and watch Spurs go out there and get such an exciting promising coach.

AshRK

Not nearly as bad as the overrating of Ole.

He's a club legend, he's our manager, but we got to face the truth: He's not a good manager.
But both can co exist, Rodgers may be a better manager than Ole but is not that great or anything. If we appoint him I will support him but personally don't want Rodgers.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nagelsmann for me. A modern day coach that knows how to deal with younger players.

He most importantly wants to play attacking football and retain possession, not kick and run football or park the bus/counter.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Naglesmann is the only one out there that really interests me.

He'll probably go somewhere else though... and we'll be stuck with Allegri or Conte or someone else that doesn't excite me.

Actually we'll probably hire Rooney.

Pep's Suit

PL's always won by very experienced managers who worked at big clubs before. Someone like Nagelsmann would be good for you but can he beat Pep or Klopp in next 2-3 seasons? I don't think so.

Judas

Open to offers
PL's always won by very experienced managers who worked at big clubs before. Someone like Nagelsmann would be good for you but can he beat Pep or Klopp in next 2-3 seasons? I don't think so.
That's not really the point. Klopp didn't come in and instantly even challenge, he was miles off. You bring someone like Nagelsmann to build an identity, he's not an instant title winner. If we hired him I wouldn't expect instant success, but I know for a fact I'd see changes in how we play and where we're going as a team a lot quicker than we have with Ole.

Womp

idiot
He doesn't have to. What he needs is to come in and start coaching/working towards building a squad that can. Fans will be patient if we could actually see football we could place faith in and Nagelsmann would be that kind of coach. That RB Leipzig team is extremely underwhelming and their football can be relentless.

Rolaholic

The Allegri shouts are surprising to say the least given what we went through under LVG and Jose as he plays a very similar pragmatic brand of football...

I'm more than tired of older retreads as everyone around us hires ambitious young managers.

It's either Nagelsmann or no one for me right now. Wouldn't be worth it sacking Ole for the likes of Ancelotti, Allegri, Blanc etc.

The only older manager that would intrigue me a bit is Gasperini from Atalanta given his balls to the wall attack minded philosophy

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
and what's your point? Better to just continue treading water is it? Ole's done his job, he's played his part in sorting us out after the mess we were in, but now we have to think bigger.
My overall point is that the club is very much different to the Sir Alex Ferguson behemoth. The club is now a top four challenger, simple as.

Westerkerk

Lots would want the job, very few would be good at it. Our expectations are incredible right off the bat and we won't allow any sort of failure without a thread saying they should be replaced. Instant success is all we seem to crave as fans nowadays. It's not going to happen.

Maybe we fans, and the board, need to accept that the days of the the longstanding manager who toils for a few seasons before getting it right are over and we should revert to the continuous recycling of managers approach seen in other clubs - but Klopp pretty much demonstrates that it is possible to produce success and silverware if given time and provided there is a consistency in approach (and improvement)

I don't believe we've given Ole enough time. I still want him to succeed at United. At the end of the day we're second in the league, and some oppo fans thought he'd be so bad he'd see us related. It's not all doom and gloom at United. We're not the best in the world, or even in the league, but we're not a million miles off despite the fact we seem to constantly concive ourselves that we are.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
we’ve had 4 drab boring managers in a row. At this point I’d take Bielsa. I just want to enjoy watching us.

I’d take 4th & entertaining football over 2nd & dull boring shit. The only position that matters is 1st & we’re not getting that so please entertain me at least.

Judas

Open to offers
My overall point is that the club is very much different to the Sir Alex Ferguson behemoth. The club is now a top four challenger, simple as.
Nope, for the money spunked since he left we should be title challengers, with proper direction and management we would be. Again people on here have lowered their standards so much, accepted mediocrity.

RkkMan

The Allegri shouts are surprising to say the least given what we went through under LVG and Jose as he plays a very similar pragmatic brand of football...

I'm more than tired of older retreads as everyone around us hires ambitious young managers.

It's either Nagelsmann or no one for me right now. Wouldn't be worth it sacking Ole for the likes of Ancelotti, Allegri, Blanc etc.

The only older manager that would intrigue me a bit is Gasperini from Atalanta given his balls to the wall attack minded philosophy
I agree on Blanc but the other two would be monumental upgrades on Ole. For starters Italian managers have good records with the top PL teams:
Ancelotti- PL winner with Chelsea
Mancini- PL winner with City
Conte- PL winner with Chelsea
Ranieri- PL winner with Leicester and decent spell at Chelsea
Di Matteo- FA Cup and CL winner with Chelsea
Vialli- Won several trophies with Chelsea
Sarri- Finished 3rd with Chelsea and won the EL
Allegri despite being pragmatic would be worth a gamble. He`s a serial winner who would do a better job instilling a winning mentality there`s been too many occasions where we`ve been bottle jobs under Ole from winning 3 games from 10 since being top of the PL, bottling 4 semi finals, bottling a CL group we were top of on matchday 4 needing a point to qualify and there`s a genuine possibility we bottle top 4 from a strong position. While Nagelsmann is a good manager I question whether this mentality will improve under him when he`s still a very young manager who`s won nothing and may not handle the pressure of expectations that come with managing Utd. Mentalities as weak as those need a proven winner to eradicate

Last edited:

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Nope, for the money spunked since he left we should be title challengers, with proper direction and management we would be. Again people on here have lowered their standards so much, accepted mediocrity.
What about the club hierarchy makes you feel they are prioritising challenging for titles? I see transfer rumours are already being leaked to the press to appease fans, the wool has been pulled over your eyes. The fanbase cling to United challenging again when the harsh reality is that the club is now a money making corporation established to get top four and maximise sponsorship money for the ownership. It really is that simple. Just enjoy other aspects. Like a club legend being manager, or the academy continuing to bring players through, or Rashford's commendable off field actions - it will be much better for everyone's sanity rather than worrying over challenging when the ownership and board could not care less about a title challenge. No manager can change that.

Henrik Hvergel

I would love to see Nagelsmann in the club, but I don't think we have the players for the type of football he wants to play.
When i see his team in action, they all put in a high work rate both on and off the ball, they alle seem to know what to do. Ok we beat them 5-0 and what a game that was, but still... Their work rate and movement is something else.
In another thread in this forum off the lack of off-the-ball-movement is mentioned and it would take a lot of work for Nagelsmann to change that here.